Anxiety Community
Anxiety over Lou Garrets Disease!!! Help!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

27 Male. A lot of you know me on the site. I can't believe I'm doing this to myself, but, us people with anxiety... that's what we do best. =)

For about 4.5 weeks now I've been having neck/shoulder and lower back pain/issues.

It started out with a sore neck. When it wasnt completely stiff, b/c i had/have full range of motion. But it hurt... the muscles were TIGHT... and DEEP muscles near bone. Nothing I could rub out or anything. Stretching helped some but I could hear micro tearing when I did it... and I'd be suffering again.

My neck has gotten better in the past 4.5 weeks, but still having some issues, depends on the day.

My lower back was hurting bad too for about 4 weeks, but just the past few days it is completely gone! Unless I'm sitting for too long or in an awkward position, then I can feel it try to get sore on me.

In those past 4 weeks I was also getting some tingling from time to time in my fingers, but those have also left.

The new symptom that has frightened me, is these MUSCLE TWITCHES I've been getting all over my body. For the past week, I can be sitting at my computer and my arm will start twitching, or my shoulder, next my calf, my ear, my neck etc. All over.

The twitching only lasts for a few seconds and they don't hurt, but it happens a lot throughout a day! Lastnight I could feel the tip of my tongue twitch a little bit! IT FREAKED ME OUT! That happend to me tonight too once...

Of course I researched muscle twitching and tongue twitching, and guess what pops up? ALS also known as Lou Garrets Disease.

SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!

I've been to the Dr. twice in the past 4.5 weeks about my neck/shoulder issues, and he said it's just tension and muscle spasms, he said to give it another month.

He asked me if I wanted an X-RAY on my last visit, I replied "do you think I need an XRAY?" And he said "no, but if it makes you feel better I will."

I have been seeing my Dr. for over 3 years now for anxiety, and he has been a GOD SENT! He'll even call me on Holidays etc every now and then just to see how I'm doing. =) What kind of Dr. does that? A GOOD ONE. =)

So, I denied the X-RAY b/c that made me feel better that he didnt think I needed one, and he said to come see him in a month.

Well, now the muscle twitching has started, and im getting nervous/anxious again about it, and I dunno if I should move my next appt up closer or just give it another 3 weeks til my next appt.

I think I'm going to wait it out.

It's so funny b/c at first my irrational fear was that I had cancer in my shoulders or neck or something... now I fear it's Lou Garrets Disease... geez.. my oh my... lol.

I'm not having any signs of weakness in my arms or legs, I even worked out at the gym today.. and I hear that's the 1st sign of Lou G. Disease usually.

I gotta quit this irrational fear! People have back and neck problems all the time... and I just happen to be one of them who can't quit thinking about it, and lets it ruin my entire day...

Thanks for hearing me out guys! Just need some REASSURANCE nobody thinks I have signs of Lou Garrets Disease or anything. lol.
Anyone?
If you can wait out the 3 weeks until your next appointment and then discuss your fears with your doc, if not call and bring it closer just so you can have a chat and have your fears eased. In reality what are the chances of you having ALS?  But then again im in no postion to say you don't only your doc and tests can say that.

Trust me when i say i know what your going through as yesterday after writing down all my symptoms i had a look on the net and came up with MS... do i have MS, i don't know but can anxiety cause your eyes to flicker rapidly back and forth, can anxiety cause you to have muscle twitching/jerkiness thats feels like your having a seizure, can anxiety cause you to have intense pressure/sensitivity in your back that when you walk it feels like someone is cheece grating your spinal cord.... i think not! So, like you only a doctor and tests can say, no one on here can... they can only say go to your doc and good-luck.  So as ive already said go to your doc i can only say now Good-luck.

Let us know what happens.
C, it's Lou Gehrig's disease.  Can tell you're not a baseball fan!  Very unlikely you have it, it's extremely rare, and extremely debilitating.  Go get it checked out if you must, but I don't think this is what you have.  You would be suffering some serious weakness and muscle deterioration.
Thanks Paxiled. =) I REALLY don't think I have it... just those SCARY thoughts cross my mind.

I have to start thinking of the RATIONAL more REALISTIC simple things that could be causing all of my aches and joint pain...

Like TENSION? PINCHED NERVE? BAD POSTURE?

Like I also said, I've been checked out twice already and he still thinks its just muscle spasms and nothing more. He said people can have them for months.

I havnt lost any strength, although I know I'm out of shape, I've been at the gym the past 2 days working out, and I'm feeling it boy!

Even though working out makes my muscles more sore, I think it's going to help in the long run.

Thanks for helping me out/making me feel better like always Paxiled. =)
TinaR10 OMG I have 1 day and a wake... Comment
1 hr ago
jemma116 commented on photo
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy Oh goodness, im losing my s... Comment