Anxiety Community
Anxiety/panic attacks the day after drinking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Viewing 201-262 comments:
Hello guys!!  I came across this website because I have a lot to relate to and I feel like I can share this with you guys and hopefully help.  I started experiencing the dizziness and anxiety the same way all of you have experienced it.  When they started to happen, my best friend just died of a drug overdose, my parents split up, and my girlfriend broke up with me.  I started drinking very heavily because I couldn't bare the anxiety.  Anxiety is a *&^%$.  You can't eat, sleep, or find anything interesting.  Over time(1.5 years later) my drinking grew to a 5th a day of liquor.  Full blown alcoholic because the anxiety wasn't getting better and nothing in life was getting better.  Now I am 15 months sober without a drink after rehab and I feel great.  Mostly.  The only thing that sometimes haunts me is anxiety.  The reason being and what all of you have to accept is you are on your own in life.  You don't have your parents to lean on during times that are hard.  This is TRUE stress and anxiety.  It's normal.  What people need to accept is that you drank to relieve the stress.  As you grow older and build a career you have duties that need to be kept up on....bills, job tasks, and being responsible.  When you feel that you are about to have an anxiety attack...don't drink.  It will only grow worst.  Go work out.  Do something that you don't want to do right of way.  In the long run it will make you feel better.  Just don't drink when you have an important obligation coming up.  Its a recipe for disaster.  Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts, its helped me feel not alone.  

Take care,

Mike Parker
Hello folks.  Interesting reading all your posts.  I'd just like to add my experiences.  

I'm 32 now and first experienced panic/anxiety attacks when I was 17 years old.  At the time my friends and I were experimenting with various recreational drugs.  I had a mind changing night of panic and fear after taking acid.  I blamed it all on the tab I'd taken and for months later I'd be sweating a lot of the time and experiencing constant irrational fears about death.  

It only dawned on me years later that it wasn't the drugs but the massive amount of alcohol I was consuming at the time.  

I'm still a heavy drinker and suffer the day after.  Not so much physically but psychologically.  The same old irrational, depressive thoughts still exist the day after a major session and always will I believe.  My friends say the same and refer to it as 'beer terrors' etc.  It's comforting to know you're not going insane and that it's just your lifestyle affecting your state of mind.  

The fact is alcohol is a depressant so has a major downside.  If you want the good times you have to put up with the bad.  The only real cures are plenty of water and even more sleep.  Delaying the inevitable come down by drinking further is good for the soul (if not terrible for the body) if you know you are able to have a long relaxing sleep at the end of it.

To summarise I'd just like to say don't panic if alcohol creates such anxiety.  It's a harsh drug at the end of the day but it does play a large part in our society.  (in the UK)

If anybody wants to discuss this matter any further please contact me on liam_birch***@****  I'd be happy to hear your opinions and thoughts  :)
liam_birch @ h o t m a i l. c o m
Well It doesn't get any better.  I am 55 and never used to get till I was in my 40's.  It does get old but when you drink once or twice a week and pour em down you have to pay the next day.
You are not alone, as you see and I'm glad I found you all as well. I'm having one of those days today. I wasn't even really out late last night, but the alcohol took a toll on me today...I even met up with a gf last night, you'd think I'd be in a good mood today, but no.  I should also add, I do take anti-depressants now...which yes, you're not supposed to drink on, however, if you have like 2-3 drinks in a day, you'll be ok; e.g. I was at a hockey game Saturday and literally had that and I was fine. Actually, a lot times they often make you not want to drink.  Here is where I get in trouble, I have to be careful with my friends. They are all big drinkers and its easy for me to lose count with them.  I remember all that happened last night (the drinking night), I didn't get "wasted" I was in control, but my buddy just kept on ordering those pitchers...it makes it tough when your feeling "okay" or having fun in control, to realize what may happen to you the next day...you need to try and be congnizant of what your ingesting...  It's all a learning experience, and as you can see from even my experience, we do fail sometimes. However, I'm great during the week I will not drink or keep it very limited; ironically, Sunday, with football, seems to be my achilles heel - not even Friday and Saturday :-) I also think that draft beer is some of these bars can make you feel like crap too. I also have a friend that tends to call me who can still put it away and feel fine..he has his own stuff he's going through, however I can let him hinder my growth/healing and if any of you are in such a situation, you shouldn't let this happen either.

I'm most content and in control when I'm by myself, but of course, that is no way to live.  My psychologist told me its like managing endorphines, or budgeting endorphines, like you would a check book, you don't want to "bounce"; it's part of growing up I guess, which I think we all kind of resent, a little. I'm 36 now. When I was younger, as long as I paced myself approriately, I could drink for long periods of time (beer) and be fine; now, well, the total mass of that consumption will do what it does to all of us, i.e. the anxiety, not so much the hangover.  It's also things like eating that help, I didn't eat much yesterday, I definitely should've drank more water. That meds sometimes make me limit my food intake.

Personally, I also notice I tend to start feeling a lot better sharing my story or helping others on boards like this, so I apologize if I ranted a little too long.

We are all beautiful people and there is nothing wrong with us, we're just human and trying to live our lives; maybe perhaps the axiety is proof we all have a concious.  Best to you all today.  -J.
I have the same problem after heavily binge drinking. Constant dizziness, sudden headaches, heavy heart feeling and heart racing. I feel like I'm going to pass out at times. I drive a forklift for a living so that's kinda scary. When I lay off the booze for 4 or 5 days these symptoms subside. I think alcohol has a lot to do with it. After waking up, I feel normal, no symptoms at all. As the day progresses, these symptoms slowly come back and intensify/worsens. At times, I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. Realizing that other people are experiencing these symptoms is a relief. I'll lay off the alcohol for a while and see what happens
Ha, it's funny I found this post, I wanted to see how long it took me to be stupid again, huh a little over two weeks, not bad.  I basically had the same exact thing happen to me again.  I'm noticing a little patern, it's sporting events and old friends.  I was supposed to go to two events and something even told me I'd be better off hanging with a gf instead, so I bailed on the other one.  But of course she wanted to drink.  This might be the worst anxiety I ever felt.  I was laying in her bed, actually praying I would die.

I'm also noticing the anti-depressant cocktail that I am on now, actually aids the drinking. I feel really good and I'm in great spirits.  I don't do anything stupid or nasty, I'm quite fun to be around.  The girl I stayed with last night even just texted me to say what a great time she had with me.  I feel bad if I have to tell her I want to steer clear of her, it's not her, I just don't like being around people, it's always when I lapse.  Working events, hanging with family, I got it all under control.  My old friends, women, if they want to have fun, its my achilles heel.

I can't live out the rest of my life being by myself though.  I think part of it as I am assimiliating back to being single, I'm doing the things, I would do as as single guy and feel real good about.  Going to a game, drinking with some friends, and then looking to hook with a girl was classic playbook for me back in the day.  I don't feel well after it though.

I need to figure a way to stop.  I have an hs friend coming into town and I know my old school buds want to hang at the dinner with them all in a few days.  I am going to decline.  Maybe I'll tell them I'll meet them out afterwards, I'll know my guard will be up and I can always use the work excuse.

Wow, I hate myself, I feel like a failure.
I am so annoyed at myself. I have just started a new job and had slowed down on the drinking for the month before because I was sick. I was amazed because from going from SEVERE anxiety attacks every day (guaranteed) I stopped having them.

Now I have started having a few drinks again and I am having horrendous attacks again. It is bad timing with my new job. I have sat here since 8:30 this morning and done nothing. Just stared at the computer screen and freaked out. I feel like I am dying - my heart is racing. I just feel crazy.

What I am trying to tell myself though is that it is CLEARLY the alcohol considering it stopped when I stopped drinking. So if I can just get through today I will be okay. I just need to not drink so heavily.

I feel so panicked. I feel like my heart is going to stop beating - I am tired! It is awful. I hate anxiety. I hate GAD.
Im so glad ive finally realised whats been happening to me.
My story is very similar to others-usual hangover in the morning after a night of excess.
Then about midday nausea,sweats,panicky, weird numb feeling down my leftt arm and face,sometimes leg-intense left sided headache.
Its basically how i imagine having a stroke and heart attack combined would feel-and thats what i thought i was having when i asked my wife to call an ambulance.
Its quite embarrassing  when a Doc tells you theres nothing wrong with you in A+E and you feel like your dying.
I have them on off-what helps me
Drink less!-
Excercise lots
Avoid coffee-my usual hangover cure would be sit around on the internet drinking mug after mug of strong black coffee-a sure fire recipe for a major PA
Cheers all and good luck
SOO soo happy I found this website! I thought I was the only one expeirencing this...I am a girl 20 years old and I have been drinking HEAVILY since I was 14. I thought my heart pumping out of my chest was just my body telling me I need to slow down. It just recently started to happen to me within this past month all 3 times. I was in the backseat in traffic the first time it happened (ALWAYS happens about 10-12 hrs after I am drinking) I thought i was just claustrophobic for a minute. My heart was going crazy my hands were sweating uncontrollaby and it felt like everything was closing out on me. I got home and realized it was probably just a small panic attack which still really freaked me the F out. I drink water evveryyyyday so i didnt think that was a problem...until it happened again and I told my mom who is a nurse. She told me it is not normal for my heart to do that after drinking, but she did tell me to cough hard 4x to try and get your heart back to its normal heart rate(hope that helps someone) Anyway, LAST night was bad. It happened the usual 12 hrs after drinking then went away after a looot of water. Happened again at 2 in the morning but this time i got very dizzy and i was using every single bit of energy to keep me from just dying out. I am a very healthy person so for this to happen to me scares me, wish i was the only one but seems ike the rest of u are having this ICKY expeirence. I think we all know the answer to this, and it is to stop drinking SO heavily/STOP drinking all together. The feeling is so ugly and uncomfortable but it all goes away in time.  It's sad that i am experiencing this and I am not even 21:( I Hope this new year brings AMAZING health to you ALL!!!!! Xo
I can tell from what and how you've wrote where you are at with dealing with your anxiety. I was once there. I never had anxiety growing up but my Mom did. I didn't even understand what she was going through and was less than sympathetic to say the least. One night after drinking and cocaine and very little sleep my bf picked me up. I felt uber disgusting so decided a Starbucks frap with an extra shot should do the trick. It didn't help so bf rolled a joint and just as the effects of the weed stress so did a feeling of doom and fear that I had never experienced innmy life! I also had an extreme pain in my head that made me unable to put my head down even on a pillow. As the effects of the weed wore off I started to feel a little more normal but the uncertainty stayed with me until it started to disipate, prob about a week. Then one year later after partying I had a crazy panic attack without the coffee or booze. It started just because a tiny thought entered my brain about the first time. It's interesting because our bodies are protecting us. We get a surge of adrenaline to protect us from harm but because we are just hungover there is nothing to fight or flee from. Its been a tough and confusing, mind-battling venture but it does get better!!! The effects of alcohol are def the culprit but we doubt ourselves when we feel like we are going crazy. The problem is that after experiencing anxiety you can feel anxious just thinking about it. Something your mind never even knew existed before. The key is to either cut out alcohol, or learn to not binge drink. Or have something for the next day. It is def a band-aid but it's realistic if you get enjoyment out of having a couple or few glasses of wine/beer. I take an Ativan day after sometimes but don't even need to anymore some days. Everything helps, restoring your water levels, vitamin b, exercise, positive thinking, distractions, etc. Just remember that there is no real danger!! I  
I just want to comment one one thing the last post mentioned: "Just remember that there is no real danger!"  I agree with this in terms of the anxiety and panic attacks - you are not dying or going crazy!  But I commented years ago on this thread, and will again now after making a little progress.

Since we are talking about alcohol's involvement, I believe in the long term there is danger if we with these issues continue to drink.  I am quite convinced that the anxiety after drinking most of us are experiencing is a physiological withdrawal response.  Even if we wouldn't call ourselves alcoholics, only drink on the weekends, etc., when we drink or binge our brains get all out of whack when the alcohol is out of our system the next day.  

It has taken weeks of not drinking for me to feel a sense of peace, to let the tension inside me fade away.  I still can get anxious if there's a legitimate reason, but I am able to function so much better.  I have realized that the alcohol-induced anxiety was horrendous the day after bingeing, but that it takes literally weeks to fade completely.  So even though I was only drinking on the weekends, I was putting my body through a cycle of binge/withdrawal every week, and it was destroying me through anxiety.

My point is just that I hope some of you take this anxiety as a serious warning, and I challenge anyone who wants to get rid of it to not drink for an entire month, and maybe keep a journal about how you feel.  It couldn't hurt.
It is good to read these posts! i have to admit i am always wondering the internet even though i know what is wrong with me. It's still so hard to fully believe it is only anxiety. I had tried weed a few times and the last time i did it i had a panic attack, in the morning i felt normal and it left my mind. about 6 months later after a hard night of drinking and bumping into my ex it all starting. Impending doom. the full panic attack experience feeling i was going to die. and it has not stopped since, its been nearly 2 years, i do have moments that i feel better but as soon as the thoughts are there again it felt like no time has passed since i last thought about it. Vicious cycle! i do believe it's the alcohol. But it's so hard to think that my friends are fine and this stuff doesn't bother them, yet i have to deal with it. It's just an awful experience and i really hope it stops soon. i haven't been having panic attacks but weird thoughts are still lingering. I wish everyone the best of luck. Been watching a fair bit of charles linden on youtube. That seems to help, should get around to ordering the real deal.Im just skeptical! but i do have hope that i will one day no longer have these awful feelings!
It is nice to see that I am not the only person in the world battling this terrible problem.  I am 32 and have battled with anxiety since I have been about 20.  I like to go out with friends and have a good time but I cannot handle the day after drinking in excess, and it seems to be getting worse every year. (I know not good news for some of the younger contributors)  

I am able to go out and have a decent amount of drinks in a night (5-8) and feel ok the next day.  However, if I go out and decide to get blackout drunk then I can have a hangover for 4-5 days.  It is not a typical hangover either.  I cannot function, I have been in the hospital numerous time.  I try my best to understand the anxiety going on in my head.  I try to calm myself but sometimes I just do on thane the strength to battle.  I just can't calm myself.  

As I have become older I try not to get out of control drunk anymore but a few times a year I allow myself to get caught up in the night and get out of control drunk.  However Saturday night I allowed myself to do it again and here I am on Tuesday and still battling to get my life back on track.  I am trying to get through the work day by finding different excuses to leave the office and taking fake phone calls on my cell to be able to walk outside.  

We just have to come to the realization that we are not built like other people that have the ability to handle alcohol and function as normal members of society.  At least there is an answer to our problem, we just need the strength to either quit drinking or only have a couple drinks.  

It feels good to share and I hope that my post helps at least one person through these tough times that feel like they will never end.  
I am so happy for your story. Lately, if I drink A LOT, I have been having spells where I feel I will pass out the next day. Happens while driving, and particularly, if I've had caffeine. It is a crazy feeling and, thank GOD, haven't actually ever passed out. The feeling comes over me so strongly, my left hand goes numb, and I immediately recognize I need to be NOT DRIVING. Scary, to say the least. I am an alcoholic and I pray to god this experience makes me stop.
This issue started for me a few years back

Symptoms are the same as everyone else

Left side numbness in hands/feet, weird headaches (not so much pain rather like it will explode or something is happening in there), Feeling like I would have a stroke.

I still get these issues even though I have stopped alcohol for two years and pretty much cut out most sugars/caffeine.

It may be a form of Peripheral Neuropathy (I am not diabetic)

For me getting stressed out, having too much sugars, having caffeine, getting too excited or nervous triggers these effects in various degrees. I have been to ER a couple times like everyone else.
Drinking has a big effect on the Central Nervous System too.

It brings me a lot of comfort to just know I'm not in this alone........ And I think the best way to handle this is to stay away from alcohol altogether, which is easier said than done

Best wishes,
K
i sociably drank all my life up until ten yrs ago.the last 2 yrs my life is un managable i go on binges where i drink half a gallon of vodka a day.im a living nightmare. i have so much responsibility for other family ie grand parents poa my parents hate me my brother is very successful and he drinks same with my daughter. i drink and end up in the emergency room. i call to talk before i get too bad and nothing,wont answer phone nothing.well to sum this up i just got home from detox which were i live consists of sitting in a recliner for 3 days no medication its so brutal i feel like im not going to make it all of my fingers are numb the store is only a block away but i honestly dont want to drink anymore any help.
all right ppl lets get our thoughts together and settled. First of all im 22 and go to the university of florida. I have dealt with these fear/panic moments after drinking for numerous times. It wasnt until about a year ago that ifinally linked it to the massive amount of drinking i was doing. I mean the first time i really started drinking everyday wasnt until about 6 months ago. Idk how everyone else drinks but sometimes i just find myself bored on a tuesday and pop open a beer. And yes i go out on weekends and drink and yes binge. But what has to be done is no more binging. I literally just came off of my worst withdrawal i have ever faced. I was pacing, couldnt sleep, worst thoughts, had a mental break down and cried in front of my girlfriend for the 2nd time now, feel like calling an ambulance, i had to call off work for 2 days straight because i was so exhausted from no sleep/ fear of having a panic attack at work. But today i had to go into work or else i would get fired and what my job is that im a valet parker which means constant running and exercise, i know many of these post say exercise helps but idk if its just my mind getting off the worried thoughts or its the actual exercise that is helping who knows im no doctor. But heres what im getting at,about half of the day i was at work i was having the worst anxiety because i thought to myself OMG im not going to be able to drink anymore because this happens everytime and YES it does happen everytime but only when i binge for more then 2 days in a row and when i say binge i mean getting drunk to where u can pass out. For me i dont really like get blacked out to where im stumbling out of the club i just drink all day and have a constant buzz. So here is my remedy that i hope will help all of you, basically you have to control yourself, if your going to get **** *** drunk then ya do it but no more then 2 days in a row and also drink lots of water, like tonight i went to a bar and ya had a few maybe 6 but as im writing this im drinking water. I really have lots more to write but in the end dont let this alcohol get to you and i didnt say before but  the withdrawal i came off of was a 6 day binge of literally drinking atleast a 12 pack a day. Ive also noticed that staying away from energy drinks helps out a lot. I mean i like energy drinks but for some reason when im drinking a redbull vodka the next day i have instant anxiety. So know you dont have to entirely quit just know your limits. If youve got to binge just know to drink lots of water before you sleep and no more 6 day binges for me and if you literally have to drink that many days just know in the end your going to visit a living hell for atleast 3 days. Id like some comments if anyone has them i hope this helps you guys out ive read almost everypost on here and it took me about 2 or 3 fear/panic moments to actually write on here. Goodluck to you all be safe
im 41 always felt a bit sick depressed, you get over it, but lately, when i go into pub sick, i go to quietiest bar not too talk to anyone untill i get two or three into me, i be shaking, when bar man stocks shelf i slug down pint, when someone looking at me i cant lift pint with shakes, its all in my head. its getting worse all the time
the exact same thing happend to me i thought i was having a heart attack the day after drinking, i went off in an ambulance
i couldent have said it better myself, this is what happend to me, a 3 day bender of heavy drinking and smoking, but the worying thing for me is im only 17
This has helped tremendously. I have had issues with both anxiety and alcohol consumption for some time now. I started drinking to help cope with the anxiety but now the drinking causes more anxiety than anything. I have been trying to avoid alcohol altogether but last night I had a relapse. I drank heavily and as a consequence I was sitting in my office this afternoon convinced I was having a stroke, heart attack, seizure or all three. I know better cognitively but in the heat of the moment it's hard to calm yourself. Reading these posts has helped me regain perspective and calm my panic attack (for now.) THANK YOU!! Now onto the bigger issue of quitting drinking and taking charge of my life again. Tonight I will attend my first AA meeting. Again, thank you everyone for sharing your stories. It has helped tremendously.
I started drinking when i was 13. Im 23 now. I did not get any panic **** until i turned 19 i think. But anyways yeah before that, i drink like there's no tomorrow then wake up just the hungover no panic attacks. Then one time i woke up got in the car and i started to freak out, out of breath, light headed, numb, nausea. **** i thought i was gonna die!!! Im still alcoholic, im pain with my wife, she hates when i drink because she got tired taking care of me. Anyways, i used to drink almost everyday, then i went to every other day, then on weekends only, i came back drinking everyday again etc... Now i drink about twice a week it dont matter what days. I feel healthy, have peace of mind when i dont drink and i also do some running/walking. Most of the time i drink is because im depressed it feels like no one understands me and im very sensitive person. Anyways again! Lol. So im 23 i think and im still alcoholic but im helping myself, this drinking **** has to stop!!! Before my body stops! It's hard because im really addicted to alcohol... I don't smoke, i don't do drugs, i don't cheat to my wife but only thing she hates is my drinking. It was fine before when i met her but like what i said she got tired taking care of me when im hungover and panics. She tried everything to help me and i dont wanna go to aaa meetings and **** like that because i know no one can help me but me. She says you have "too much pride" i believe thats the only thing a man can have when everything goes bad. "pride" and "dignity."
I know we are not all the same, but my drinking has to stop so my wife don't have to worry alot.
Just wanted to add that it may sound funny but pedialyte really helps me.  I find that most of my anxiety/panic attacks the day after were linked to dehydration.  Now if I have one pedialyte before bed (the big bottles) and one in the morning first thing....and if it was that bad of a night maybe one more mid afternoon, the effects are minimized.  

Not saying it's going to cure all, but it certainly DOES help.  My friends thought I was crazy...now when we show up for a night of drinking, along with their cases of beer or whatever, they have pedialyte stocked lol.

good luck and stay strong
Hey everyone, I am glad many people are realizing that this is physiological dependence on alcohol, even if you don't consider it "alcoholism" because you don't drink every day.

But even after many days of not drinking, after a binge, we experience a minor withdrawal.  It gets worse and worse every time - this phenomenon is called Kindling.  I think everyone should research it because it can cause serious brain damage, especially if you are young, and can impair memory and emotional processing.  In some ways, it is much worse than an alcoholic that drinks moderately every day and only goes through withdrawal once.

Kindling.  Withdrawal.  Alcoholism.  Very serious stuff, but very hard to break the binge cycle.
Great posts! I have a family that loves to drink so it hard for me not to drink around them. When I hang around them I always end up drinking way past my limit and the next day I feel it. I hardly sleep post drinking and I get anxiety bad. I feel like I have done something wrong. I will keep playing the night over and over again in my head. It's terrible feeling that I never want to have again I just can't stop drinking becAuse of my friends N family always drinking . I wish I could hang out w them and not drink but if I don't drink when they are I get extesmly
Extremely annoyed. I'm 27 yrs old and I can't just stop drinking all together but I'm def gonna try to know my limit. I want to write more but I'm hungover and have anxiety right now. I will write more later. Thanks everyone for your posts!
I still go back to the dehydration thing.  I think that's where 90% of my panicky anxiety behavior post drinking comes from.  sparkling water, pedialyte, regular water, gatorade etc. mixed in while drinking most certainly helps.  The problem is in the morning, most likely will feel horrible because of the dehydration and not be able to drink a lot...so best to chug some down before sleeping...that way you wake up and have to **** like race horse and process has already begun.  It's absolutely crucial.  I'd say this works about 85% of the time for me in lessening the day after jitters.  The other 15%, well....I don't know but soemthing is different because it's utter hell.
I look at the posts and see how many people are having problems with drink.
I have for over 23 years tried to cope with my son who as a drinking problem and some drugs.
It seems to me that at one time we feel nervous and the nerves feel better after a drink and we feel confident and happy , as our feeling go with the drink .
I did myself notice this myself when I was a young girl however for myself i had a good doctor and was sent to group to talk about my problems and over 3 years  later I left the group with the information to help me through my life .
I was told by the consultant when I left that I was one of the lucky ones as lots of people do not get the luck to have a g p who noticed the problem and to advise you of the help we can give to people.
That now is why I know more about the problems people do have with drink and drugs.
I tried my very best to get my son into rehab but you can not force a person and now he drinks and so does his girlfriend .
To the people who are suffering with this problem I say t o you go and get into rehab if possible, and remember the pain of withdraw will go and you do get a chance to recover , and build you life , I wish my son would have done what I did and get the help that is out there.
Its important in a lot of cases to remember being a sensitive person you feel deeper and feeling get hurt easier than others.
One thing for sure when I went to group I wanted to be without my valium and antidepressants I suffered in my cash from panic attacks , but even though my problem ended up with prescription drugs it could have been like yourselves drink it comes to the same , do something that makes us feel comfortable because we feel bad about  something , maybe how we look , not tall enough , too small, too thin , to fat , its the same for us all .
I hope this helps in some way , and I wish you all the best , and to win this illness , and begin to believe in yourselves .
Found that really helpful thankyou. I thought i was the only person experiencing this dreadful feeling in the morning. Trouble is, all i need to do to make it go away is stop drinking.......but i just can't do it. i'm so weak. I've tried AA a few times but is wasn't for me. I dont want to feel like this anymore!
i get these panic attackes the next day after a night of drinking also the feeling is unbearable the whole day. have a feeling inside that the something is going to happen.   I am thinking this anxiety panic after a night of drinking is brought on more to me because when i fall asleep i can only sleep for about 3-6 hours after that i will be fully awake and i cannot go back to sleep no matter how hard i try? anyone else that cant stay asleep for long after a night of drinking? thanks
Thanks for posting. I've had a bit of a problem for a while. I'm 25 and have been drinking socially- ravenously since I was 16. Mainly just weekends. Social anxiety & just an overall terrible feeling is what I experience after a night of hard drinking. It's usually not the day after I go out though. It's usually the day after that when I'm not still drunk from the day before. I drink to be able to socialize and go to parties now. But the days after that are miserable. Thanks for the info. I guess somehow I'm gonna have to cut alcohol out of the equation.
I suffer from binge drinking and axiety. This weekend was the last straw for my spouse when he called my dad to pick me up and take me to the ER because I binged on a 5th of vodka for three days. I was just hung over and didn't want to go to the ER. My dad talked me into going over their house to spend the night for a change of scenerie. The next morning I called my spouse and he told me NEVER to come home. He also told me to keep my distance from our 11 year old son. I felt a panic comming on and took some ativan. All day I have felt on the verge of panic with a low grade headache. I wore out my welcome in our beautiful house that he owns. I'm devestated. My binges were several months apart for a year, but this has cost me my son. I was a stay at home and he controled all the money. I will never drink again
yes...i hardly sleep as well.  i just lay there and suffer and try to drink a lot of water.  Ive noticed usually about twenty four hours after my first drink the day before I start to feel it subside.  So if my first drink was at 7pm..then 7pm the next day I feel like I can get up.  This is a general rule.  I'm not sure but maybe it has to do with the sugar that is left behind..or the massive amount of cigarettes I can smoke while drinking...ugh! I have found camomile tea or tension tamer tea to be helpful.  But if you're a milk drinker maybe try some warmed.  I am going to try another posts advice and try pedialite...or gatorade.
I hope you get another chance.  But if you do go your separate ways for good, realize now about your problem with alcohol and don't get into dating with guys who drink or do drugs.  You will probably realize after years of this(as I did) that I was just putting off the inevitable realization how miserable I am when I drink.  And I really don't want to be with someone who does either.  It really isn't that much fun and not worth the pain it brings.  Best of luck to you.
I just read on another site that when our body is fighting off the alcohol our nervous system is put into a state of hyperactivity to counteract the alcohols sedative affects.  not sure quite what that means but it sounds like what i've experienced. feel tense and cant sleep. my heart will race too....and I don't think its anxiety(I know anxiety attacks well), its an actual physiological affect happening from the excess alcohol.  We really are destroying our health by binge drinking.  
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3268458/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_%28substance_withdrawal%29
I have the same problem since my early 20s and heavy drinking. I am 41 now and it is 4am after drinking vodka and beer I feel anxious once again.I have no prescription medications only this OTC from the health food store that you take every half hour.  It is a very hard battle quitting the alcohol but that is what the problem is. I am on facebook and twitter my facebook is Alonzo E. Moore and twitter BigBearZo if you want I am available to talk and maybe we can help each other. I live in the Cleveland Ohio area.
yes I am going to start trying to quit drinking, it has been fun and not so fun with this anxiety so it is time to quit.
quit drinking!
Wow, when I had my first panic attack last May I thought it was just me! This thread has really helped me as I have just suffered the worst 24 hours hangover/panic attack I have ever had - 2 days later I still feel c**p.

I am 32 and have been drinking since 14/15 but it has steadily increased, especially in the past 6 years, due to getting a decent income from my Doctorate stipend and later PostDoc job and relatively flexible hours. Unfortunately, it just allowed me to indulge my alcoholic tendencies. I would and have been on some awful benders drinking up to 10 pints of 5%-ish ciders/beers and then going home with four more cans/wines/spirits sometimes and staying up all night listening to music surfing the internet - I am a bit of a loner and I don't think this helps my situation, since I can just let go on my own.
The thing is, besides my drinking I have quite a healthy lifestyle. I run/work-out 4/5 times a week, enjoy cooking my own fresh/healthy meals and grow some of my own fruit/veg. It is just this damn drink weakness!

I realise now it is also doing consecutive benders (up to 5 days sometimes!) really does hit me hard (no s**t sherlock!). I live in Spain at the moment and my girlfriend went home to see her folks. I took advantage since there has been a long 4 day weekend with loads of street parties and I have gone a bit mental with the booze. God am I paying the price now.
Like everyone else, my panic attacks involve tingling limbs, numb face, a distinct feeling of doom, having a heart attack/stroke, about to pass out, strange feelings like I cannot lift that pint of beer off the bar as I might collapse and my hands start shaking, people watching me?! Past 5 years I also have that inability to sleep as I fear I will die in my sleep and then when I nod off my body jerks me out of sleep like a heart attack - really stressful. First one last year I was with my parents and I thought I was dying, my dad was almost taking me to the hospital - it really shook me up - I kept my drinking reasonable after that for 6 months. But lately, I have fallen back into binges again.
This is the worst attack I have had. I have sat alone awake all night because I fear I will die if I go to bed - 24 hours and counting of sheer hell. I need to get a grip of the drinking. My family are all big drinkers and my uncle died last month of liver/alcohol related problems at 64 years old. Good luck everyone, be strong
I feel like I need some extreme help.... my body is shaky my heart is racing feels like my pulse is going to explode I feel like I I'm going to crawl out of my skinI feel like I'm going to pass out I definitely don't feel OK, I had a long weekend of partying. Had  a lot of friends over throughout the weekend last night got kind of  out of control did not go to bed till the morning time. I need sny advice on how I can calm down!!!!!! I feel like a horable person.  I m freaking out ??? Anyone out there that deals with this????? I feel I'm the only one that suffering well to this extreme.... I also would love some advice on stop drinking..
What everyone needs to do is not drink so much. I am 30 years of age and had the all the same problums as you guys with the day after drinking attacks. All you need to do is not drink so much everytime you go out. This will stop your panic attacks. Just have 3 or 4 beers not 12-15 beers. You will find this will really help you.
wow! I also experienced my first anxiety and panic attacks when i was 27 years by the time i quit my job cause of too much stress and all i do is to party and drink 24/7. Then after several months, i began to experience the attacks, chest pain, feel like going mad and unattached to myself, dizziness, numbness and so on... I've been also jumping on the bed too lol.. but the therapy and medication helped me somehow. I'm now 30 years and still experiencing anxiety attack relapse but this time i' am able to calm and compose myself, i totally quit drinking for 2 years now, i don't smoke and i always keep a propranolol 10mg handy in case of the fast uncontrollable heart beats.
there are so many posts to read on this thread that i have only read a portion of them so far but your comment sounds spot on.i have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks all my adult life and for the past 5-6 years it has gradually come on that after drinking i get insanely heightened symptoms-the day after i will be bouncing of the walls,like manic with anxiety right on the edge of a panic attack,then for 3-4 days after that i am very depressed and struggle to even exist and am more prone to panic attacks than usual.i have been in a constant cycle of having these symptoms for 5 days after drinking and telling myself not to drink at all but then i just seem to forget.its like its that intense my mind has blocked it out and then i start drinking again.

now it gets worse,i have found a drug that counteracts it (im not saying the name because i dont want anyone else to copy),i have these the day after drinking and it stops the 5 day hell that usually follows it,thing is im having to have more of the drug now as my tolerance levels are higher.

recently though i have calmed down on it a bit as i have been having job interviews and after 3 years of searching for a new job i have finally landed one and start in 2 days.im going to use this change as a starting point to stopping drinking but its gonna be hard as im a lot more confident socially and do have a good time whilst drinking.

my last day at my old job was 2 days ago and i had just 4 cans knowing that i was starting a new job in a few days and didnt wanna make my anxiety any worse,i thought that with it only being 4 cans and having my 'medication' i would be alright.naturally i was housebound the day after but have just had to leave a friends house as a panic attack came on.i dont know whether it was because of these 4 cans or whether i was just getting it for no reason like i sometimes do.i strongly suspect it was the drink though as even just a few drinks does it to me.

i agree with what youre saying about how it does something physiologically to you,its like a chemical thing in your brain and not because you feel nervous about a particular thing for example.

hell knows how im going to stop drinking,especially at events like music gigs or birthday dos,i cant do things like that sober because of the anxiety.

anyway im gonna start my new job and hope it helps trigger a change in me,im slowly gonna read through all these comments also.ive never met anyone else that gets this through drinking but i know that some drugs give 'normal' people panic attacks and after all alcohol is just a legal drug

sorry if this was a bit of a ramble but im judt typing as im thinking.good luck to everyone with any type of mental health or addiction problem.
I encourage you to start a new thread as this one is very old.

Alcohol exacerbates anxiety something terrible.  Your approach to fixing this issue is backwards.  You've now found another substance to self medicate away your post drinking anxiety.  That's not a good idea.  You're traveling down a slippery slope.

"hell knows how im going to stop drinking,especially at events like music gigs or birthday dos,i cant do things like that sober because of the anxiety."

Sounds very much like you need to address the anxiety, and not with alcohol.  You're self medicating.  Alcohol needs to be taken out of the equation or you're just going to end up having to deal with both the anxiety AND an addiction (if you don't already have to).

Get yourself to a professional and start addressing the anxiety the right way.  You're on a merry go round that is going to lead you nowhere good my friend.

Good luck to you.
Several people have already stated what I'm about to say, but I'll tell my story anyway. I think it's very help to know you're not alone.

About a year ago I started having seemingly random bouts with anxiety and very dark thoughts. The worst part of the issue was is feeling of almost losing my mind just as I would drift off to sleep. I'm far from an alcoholics, but I did go out on the weekends with my friends and we definitely enjoy our drinks. It took a few weeks to realize this was happening after drinking. The weird part was that it wasn't the night I would drink, but the following night. I got to a point where if I'd had a glass of wine the day before I'd start freaking before I'd get into bed just anticipating the sleep anxiety I was about to have (obviously making a rough situation even worse).

I saw my doctor about it and she couldn't understand it. If it were happening the night I drank it would make some sense she said, but since it was happening the following night when all the alcohol should be out of my system she felt that my problem was mental. So, I went to a psychologist. My psychologist of course wanted to talk about my childhood blah blah blah... But she did say something that really struck me about the nature of anxiety and unresolved issues. She was absolutely right that half of my problem was anticipating the problem. I was freaking myself out. Although, that was somewhat helpful it didn't solve the root of the problem. Somehow, some way, alcohol was really messing me up.

I went back to my doctor and explained that I was still having the issue. She prescribed me xanax to only use when I needed it. I've had it for about 8 months and I've used it 4 times. I've pretty much realized the only thing that has helped me is not drinking. Fortunately I really am just a social drinker so it has saved me a ton of money not going out and drinking with my friends on the weekends. However, I do still have the occasional night out or a glass of wine with dinner, etc and I typically don't have an issue. Even following a heavy night of drinking the effect is a lot less severe as it use to be (and it use to be BAD). I'm 30 y/o and that feeling of losing my mind was horrible.

Three pieces of advice:
1) Take a few months away from drinking and then slowly introduce it back into your system.
2) Most importantly, don't anticipate having a problem. Whatever this is that is causing this issue in us is made significantly worse by the fear we have before the issue even happens.
3) This one we probably already know, but it bears repeating. Do not freak out if you have an anxiety attack. Turn on your favorite television show, listen to something calming, call your best friend (but don't tell them what's happening because if they worry it'll make it worse).

I've also found that staying away from caffeine helps too, but I rarely having caffeine so it probably affects me much differently than a regular drinker. Also, prayer/meditation is very good, if that's something you get into.

Good luck and stay calm. You're not alone.
I'm glad to have read this. I've only had a handful of panic attacks in my life and they ALL occurred when hungover. It's the worst feeling. I went to the ER twice and today went to American Family Care. I do have PVCs, so my heart doing somersaults just makes everything worse. I want to be the kind of person who can talk herself out of panicking. I'm never anxious about anything and all of a sudden, I have panic disorder? It's so hard to believe and cope with. I was prescribed Xanax but don't want to be medicated. I guess I just wanted to comment and say thank you! And to everyone else out there reading this, panic attacks are awful, even when you know that's what's happening. Even when you logically know that you're having a panic attack, you still feel like you'll surely die. I get that! I KNEW and I went to the doctor and made him draw bloodworm and do an EKG... All to make sure I wasn't actually dying. All of this even through I KNEW I was having a panic attack! It's awful but you'll get through it. It ends eventually. I've decided to keep my drinking to a minimum from now on. I know I can have enough to enjoy myself and be fine. I don't have to go overboard. It was just so hard since Auburn won last night and I had to celebrate.. ;) anyway, I'm rambling at this point. But to everyone experiencing these symptoms: you are not alone!
ssoooo many people with the same issue, its horrible!!
I had the most hurrendus experience with alcohol too.
I have always been a big drinker at the weekends never during the week, and I would never know when to stop, my dad is exactly the same and ive had to grow up with it for years.
It started of with heart palpations on a sunday night after drinking the night before, and speaking to the doctor they said to slow down on the drink, but that lasted only a few months, then after a while one sunday I suffered enormous panic attacks all day!!! like if I zoned out and thought about stuff everything went a little weird and I panicked and had to keep breathing big breaths, and I thought I was going to die, I also thought I was going to go insane and feared what my mind was going to make me do. it was the worst day of my life, I couldn't even manage work for most of the week as I still wasn't right, I couldn't be alone, I had to be around people for comfort it was just insane. At some points the world was so different I experienced depersonalisation!! So the doctor said DO NOT DRINK! I went away on a holiday that was already booked and it was so hard to handle not drinking but if I wanted to get better that was the only way.
when I came back I had to go to a mental health place to learn about anxiety which I knew nothing about and it opened my eyes to a whole new world! I met people who had way worse symptoms than me and who you would never think had any problems at all!
So discovering about anxiety and alcohol do not work!! I realised I had anxiety in which I never even knew, and so after those sessions I decided to take a self confidence class too! "hence the reason I drank so much"
I knew I was never as confident when I was sober to when I was drunk but I never knew that was probably the only reason I drank that and the stress of a horrible job and total ***** of a boss!
But after all that I never touched alcohol as it clearly doesn't agree with me but now after a year and 4 months I kind of miss a wine or 2? but I am now scared of it? im scared to take a sip and itll all come flooding back to me!!!
I know its all in my head but ive come so far ive left my horrible job opened my own business and have more confidence than ever and im extremely proud that I done all this!
But what to do now? do I give in or do I wait a little longer and not pressure myself?
Your stories have helped me so I just wanted to let you know mine! : )
Do not drink, not now or after a "little longer" - It is not all in your head!  There is a reason you stopped for so long and are doing so much better.  Those of us who are hard-wired genetically to drink more and more alter our brain further with each drinking episode.  These brain chemistry changes present as anxiety, and weekend binge drinking can bring on these changes even faster than drinking moderately every day.  For most of us, I guess there is often some anxiety that made us drink in the first place, but at this stage, most of the anxiety comes directly from the way alcohol has rewired our brains.  There is no risk to you in NOT drinking, so I hope you are able to stay strong. However, it sounds like you may ignore this advice sooner or later. If so, please come back and let us know how that goes...
Thanks for that, I take it you think its the wrong idea then? I thought I would be ready for Christmas but after all I just wasn't! im scared to even put it in my mouth but ive read its a phobia and its all in the way you think about it!? I know drink isn't for everyone, and doesn't agree with everyone but Im just hoping after 10 years of drinking and then it clearly not agreeing and giving me panic attacks until the last couple of years I could let it back into my life just a little. but I will never ever drink the way I ever did! I never realised how many people have the same symptoms and have to deal with similar problems!
This thread is very old, you'd be better off starting a new one.

In MY experience with alcohol and anxiety, the worst symptoms occur after overindulging, usually to the point of intoxication.  For the most part, ONE glass of wine or beer here or there won't bother too many people, although it's impossible to predict what will happen with you.  Sometimes just that "warm fuzzy" feeling alcohol creates will trigger anxiety in some people.

Personally, I've all but gave it up completely, with the exception of a glass of wine at a wedding, or something very minimal and occasional like that.  I have recognized that it's just not worth it to me, I want my life to be with as little anxiety as possible, being that it's a lifelong struggle for me.  I'm certainly not going to add anything to the mix that may trigger more anxiety.  

Good luck whatever you decide....MY advice to you would be to continue on like you have, you're truly not missing anything.  Honestly.
Yeah, if you can really just keep it to literally 1 or 2, once a week max, then that's probably fine if it works for you.  From my experience, most people with these issues, me included, simply can't keep it to that.  If we could, we probably wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.
yes I agree with the one every now and then, defo not more than that, I know that I will never be drunk in my life ever again! ive accepted that!
As you said its just not worth it, I would just like to be able to have one at a wedding like you said, I suppose I would just like the option really.
thanks for your advise : ) .
That is so me, it's really scary. I fidget a lot when I feel it coming and know what it is and it's embarrassing.
Hello there!

In case you didn't notice (most people don't), but this thread is very old.  Please start your own new thread if you'd like to talk about your anxiety concerns.  We'd love to help you and support you.

Use this link to start a new thread in the anxiety community:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=71

Thanks, hope you stick around!  This is a great site and a great community!
hey everyone....

im so glad I found this site and got to read all of your comments and experiences on this issue. (new to this site)
I am a 30 y/o male who has been suffering with panic attack for little over 10 years now and IT *****!... the feeling of anxiousness and confusion makes me go crazy... I feel like I am going nuts and it feels like my immune system is about to shut down. Its pretty sad because I get these panic attacks wherever I go and no matter if im watching tv, in a meeting, or even shopping at the mall or grocery store it triggers me out of nowhere... way back in my teen years I did experiment with stupid drugs as most of us did for a year or two but marijuana has stuck with me for years and years until on day I got rushed to the ER because I smoked and got extra paranoid and felt like I was going to die-- it took that one time for me to stop smoking. WHAT CAME NEXT?... alcohol....at first I was totally fine.. I could drink day in and day out with just a little hangover but nothing to severe... I know as we get older our body cant take it like how it used to but --- my panic/anxiety attacks got uncontrollable. No matter if I have one or 15 drinks I still get them the next day.... not to lie, I still drink once or twice a week with buddies of mine and just accept the fact that I wont be able to move the next day and will need to do lots of different deep breathing techniques to keep a steady heart rate--
a couple weeks ago I woke up feeling just fine after a night of drinking and decided to head to work.... and BOOM! it hit me while I was driving... I lost all control of my driving and could not stop shaking and felt like my heart was going to stop--- I quickly pull off the road and had my roommate pick me up and I left my car there... whats weird is that only day after drinking I cant drive AT ALL.... when before I was perfectly fine driving the day after drinking. It happened 2 more times after that first time-- and now I refuse to drive at all.... on top of that my body starts to ache at night really bad and it gets really hot ontop of the attacks... days start off totally fine then as the hours go by it just keeps getting worst. I just started yoga/meditation class and it seems like its helping a little.... ill keep it up and see how it goes.
-- I just need to get out of this city where alcohol is everywhere 24/7... I guess im not that strong after all to say NO. -- I just need to remember positive thoughts, and stay stress free..... and hopefully this yoga thing works =).... Namaste.
This is a great feed, I suffer more and more of anxiety attacks that take over my body.  Sometimes I freeze up. Sometimes I stutter, sometime I shake to my core and can't think straight.  It's usually triggered by hard alcohol, and I feel like a failure, i start to miss my ex, I live in Canada and miss my family badly at these low times.  The only times that I can feel better is when I'm validated, so if i make lists and achieve getting through hurdles I can ease the agony.  I dread work in case I'm a failure, so when good things happen it gives me hope to be strong.  My ex was in a coma, his vice is cocaine and I dealt with his relapses month after month, I had a bad accident last year and I believe I fear and cling to situations and dwell and i can eventually pull out of it, this huge ball of stress. I have some great friends, but I sometimes feel like I'm forging myself! Trying to be the person that people think is so strong.  I can't stand the thought that I burden my mum or friends with my anxiety, and so convince myself to snap out if it, but often through booze.  I drink wine every night as I associate in with calm.  It's a vicious circle, but by cycling everyday the last few weeks to work, and drinking to enjoy rather than escape my ex, I'm gradually getting stronger.  My advice, write a list and ditch the things that cause you the biggest stress.  Mines like bills, and doing so well in work, and by not giving in to take my ex back.  Just be strong,band don't be a hermit, like I sometimes am. Let's do this together, oh and I'm 32 and this has only been worse since my accident 18 moths ago, but I'm bigger than that! I will defeat it! Good luck. Smile often.  And breathe.
Viewing 201-262 comments:
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
32 mins ago
michhh commented on A very inspiring colu...
1 hr ago
Tocldja Well I'm feeling better it'... Comment