Anxiety Community
Ativan, Ambien, Seroquel- Sedative for Fear of Flying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I have an extreme fear of flying. My husband is English and I'm American so we've had to fly across the Atlantic many times (15 or more). Every time I feel worse. My panic attacks on board are more frequent and the anxiety pre-flight is worse too.  My doctor and I are trying to find medicine(s) to help me. I really would like to take something when I get on board and then wake up 7 hours later to find we've landed at Heathrow. So far I've tried (on seperate occasions) Xanax (can't remember the dosage), 2mg Ativan, 10mg Valium for anxiety with no real results. So we tried sedatives (again on seperate occasions) 8mg Rozerem, 3mg Lunesta, and 10mg Ambien. Nothing has put me to sleep or kept me asleep. My doctor (and psychologist) now thinks Seroquel (100mg or 200mg) may be the answer. Anyone out there have any experience with this medication on a one time only basis? I just need it to fly there and two weeks later to fly back.
Do you have any idea how embarrassing it was for me as a travel agent to have a fear of flying? But I did, big time. Major panic. Scream out loud panic if we hit turbulence. Breathing into paper bags.......usually the barf bag which was REALLY fun for my seat mates! There was a time when I used to have to ingest so much alcohol before I boarded the airplane, they poured me into my seat! Now I understand they won't even let you on the plane if your intoxicated. Back in the day I used to scream "we're all gonna die" so often, everybody would tell me to shut up! I then took so much Xanax, Valium, Ativan..........whatever I could get my doc to prescribe but even through my drug induced fog, I was still able to scream to the stew that the WINGS WERE FALLING OFF! I've had co-pilots come and have "chats" with me. They were always very polite about it, but the hidden message was that if I didn't behave myself, they would indeed pitch me out over the Atlantic. I did have a couple of real bad experiences while flying. I won't share them with you. No use adding fuel to your fire. If all the meds your doc has tried have not been able to help you cope, then I would strongly suggest, since you are obviously going to have to visit England on a frequent basis, one of two things. Take the boat. Or...........take the class at your local International Airport for people who are terrified of flying. It's a sort of aversion therapy type thing, and I understand that it really works. Every airport offers this class. Call and get some info.
For me, it just kinda went away. Not totally. I still have moments of pure panic. Maybe cuz I got old(er) or wiser or just got tired of everyone else having fun and I had to spend the trip with my nose in a barf bag looking like a moron. I don't understand it. I am not a religious person, but now when they close those doors, which use to instantly trigger my panic, I just say "well, it's out of my hands now and if this plane is gonna go down, I can't do a damn thing about it, so why worry?"
Look into the class or look into therapy. Or book an upper deck suite on the QE2!
Bon Voyage!
Peace
Greenlydia
I was just reminded of my daughter's experiences with flying.  She loves to travel but hates the flying aspect of it.  She has flown overseas many times and what she does is take Gravol just before leaving and for most of the flight she is able to sleep and for some reason that seems to do the trick.  I don't know if this will help you but it might be worth trying.  Sometimes it is the simplest things that work the best.  I hope this works for you.  
I too have a real fear of flying.  Once the flight attendants actually took me to see the cockpit, something usually reserved for little kids.  I take two Xanax to get where I'm going and two to get back.  It has a calming effect and sometimes I even fall asleep.

lonweolf

You didn't put the dosage amounts of xanax that you took. The short-acting will only last about 4 hours, so you might consider taking the XR version (long-acting). That typically will give you 11 hours or a bit less of relief. Xanax works  fairly quickly - I find relief in about 15 minutes or so. Dependent upon the last time you tried it, perhaps you could discuss increasing your dose or trying out the XR version.

It's my opinion to stay away from the antipsychotic group of meds. I believe that's like using a hammer to kill a fly - xanax is more the appropriate drug for quick relief.

Greenlydia's advice is great, too. I offered my suggestion in case you didn't take the class or therapy.
Good luck on your next trip...
My husband, my baby boy (who is six months) and I are going to fly to Colorado from Idaho but he has a crazy serious phobia of flying and I'm not sure what to do. We have already purchased the tickets and we are about two weeks out from going. He says that everyday that's getting closer to flying it gets worse. He feels tension and cramping of his stomach and we are not sure what to do. He doesn't want to not go because they are not refundable tickets but he is seriously scared of flying. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? I want to help him I just do not know how!
My fear of flying stems not from a fear of being unsafe but because of claustrophobia.  I absolutely cannot stand the thought of being "trapped" in a flying tube for hours at a time.  I just can't get over it.  Help!
I've been on 25 mg of Seroquel for a few months. I certainly think 100 mg will put you out quickly. When I first took it, I recall nearly dropping a glass from my hand because I was falling asleep, sitting upright on a sofa.
I have to fly in 2 months for a vacation and have not flown in 6 years since my panic attacks started.  My cousin said to take a Xanax before I leave for the airport, then one when I get there and then a Valium when I sit in my seat on the plane.  It is only a 5.5 hour flight and that is if it is non stop. We may have to stop in Florida from Chicago then to Aruba. Any advice? I don't want to end up on the 5 o'clock news!
USDA Approves New GE Corn and Soy, ...
1 hr ago by gymdandee
TinaR10 commented on photo
1 hr ago
TinaR10 commented on photo