Anxiety Community
CT scans dangerous!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

CT scans dangerous!

I was reading that CT scans can cause cancer and I just had my first one the other night of my head and neck.  I know there is more radiation in a CT scan than a regular Xray and I'm worried that radiation exposure could put me at risk for cancer later in life.  
Hi there.  Yes, CT scans give off some radiation.  So do other scans and xrays.  But you have to remember that this radiation exposure is very, very small.  Remind yourself that every person that has a CT scan does not get cancer later in life.  If they did, I promise you there wouldn't be CT scans anymore.  

Think about true radiation exposure.  Think about Japan and the crippled nuclear plant, that is radiation exposure that may in all likelihood lead to cancer later in life for those exposed.  That is the grand scale and you are not there nor will you ever be with the normal everyday scans that people get to make sure we are healthy and whole.  

I know you are suffering from anxiety and your mind is taking off but try to reign it back in.  Try your controlled breathing.  Remind yourself of the facts that the majority of people are not going to be affected by the xrays, CT scans, MRIs that they have over their lifetime.  

And the internet, which is where I assume you were reading about CT scans, has everything from A to Z about every topic.  Some will say it causes cancer and other will say it does not and other still will be in the middle.  For a person with anxiety, these types of searches don't help at all.  

Take care Newport.
Thanksgiving day panic
47 mins ago by JamesC186282
meuhmy added the Weight Tracker
djpepper joined this community
Welcome them!