Anxiety Community
Can you help?! I NEED encouragement for panic attacks PLEASE

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I was doing so much better w/ recent bout of panic attacks.  Woke up last night with HUGE panic attack in full swing :(.  Took .25 mg of Xanax & husband comforted me until I fell asleep.  I was scarred to go to work today so I stayed home.  I am so discouraged now.  Any encouraging words at all or coping advice from those who have panic attacks too would really help to lift my spirit!  Thank you in advance friends!
I know it's discouraging but don't allow this one setback stop you from moving forward.  They can and do hit out of the blue, often with no reason that we can see.  It sounds like whatever you've been doing has been working, so keep this up.  Worrying about having one will most likely create one, so try to not dwell on it, instead look at how well you've been doing!  Although they are very scary, always remember that it is a normal response coming at the wrong time, it's our "fight or flight" mode kicking in when we're not in a dangerous situation.  Our body is flooded with extra adrenaline to give us the ability fight or run, but since we're not in that situation, the adrenaline has nothing to work on.  This results in a panic attack, with the heart pounding, feeling scared, and dizziness, etc. During an attack it's good to exercise if you can to give the adrenaline something to work on, and try to get your mind on to something else, knowing it WILL pass.  Regular, daily exercise helps a lot with anxiety and preventing panic attacks, you are constantly burning up any extra adrenaline that is in your body.  Also, make sure your breathing isn't shallow which tends to happen when these occur out of fear. Breathe slowly and deeply in thru your nose and slowly out of your mouth.  You can do this throughout the day anytime your start to feel anxious. I know we feel like we are going to die or pass out, but we don't and they always pass. Just very scary.  Sounds like you're doing a great job, so stay focused on that and not that you had a panic attack.  Less worry = less anxiety.  I wish you all the best and take care!
Thank you so much!  Your words were really needed right now & the advice is great.  I will do my best to focus on the progress I have been making.  Truly, thank you!
LovemyKids86 . Comment
RubyWitch I am no longer accepting HI... Comment
melimeli commented on renae176's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms