Anxiety Community
Clonazepam Withdrawal / Back On

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Clonazepam Withdrawal / Back On

Hi!  I am a first time poster to this website and like so many others value the opinions/experiences that you all have had with this dreaded hand we have been dealt with...Anxiety.  I was first diagnosed with having anxiety a little over 11 years ago and was put on Paxil 20mgs.  Over time I have cut cold turkey and went through bad withdrawals for the anxiety to return later.  Life changing events seem to set it off (starting new job, wife's miscarriages (2), etc.)  This year the Paxil seemed like it had lost its "umph" so I was prescribed Lexapro 10mgs since it was a newer medicine and more popular.  I have been on it now for roughly 4 weeks.  I felt good after 2 weeks.  While taking the paxil I was also prescribed Clonazepam for Anxiety and for helping me sleep.  I have been on this medicine several times over the past 5 years, usually at .5mg but currently at 1mg.  My timing has always not been so great with my medicine as well.  When I feel good, I forget how bad I felt and am ready to come off.  That being said, I decided to ask my doctor if I could start weaning off the Clonazepam.  She agreed and upped my dose on Lexapro to 15mgs and told me to cut my Clonazepam down to .5mgs in a few days.  I did and felt decent for 4-5 days.  Days 6-8 felt like I was hit by a truck.  I didn't want to get out of bed, severe anxiety, depressed, all the above.  I called the Dr back and they told me to go back up to my 1mg of Clonazepam for now until I am stable and we can slowly withdrawal later.  I am fine with that and know that I shouldn't be changing the medicines all around till I get stable.  My question is, how long does it take for the Clonazepam to start working fully again.  I feel somewhat better having taking it at its 1mg dose for the past 6 days but I still have anxiety and still feel depressed feelings even though everything in my life is currently great.  

Any responses would be greatly appreciated, and again I am glad I can finally talk to people who have experienced the same type of things I have.  It is very much a blessing.

Nate
Hi..
I just scanned your post.  Will respond to the bit at the end about clonazapam.  I take 1 or 1.5 mg a day.  It usually works for anxiety fairly quickly.  Having said that, I will add that there is much more to dealing with the feelings you describe.

I have to get up and out.  Watch my thoughts.  And can expect any new or unpleasant change, whether body problems or the adventure of having a new kitten to cause a rise in that icky internal shaking that plagues me. How do you take your med?  I have found taking a 1/4 tab before setting out is useful, especially if I have a way to drive or am heading into a doctor's appt or social event.

BTW: I am an anal cancer survivor...can't tolerate the antidepressants any longer, which is why I take clonazapam alone for agoraphobia.

Best.
I take a 1mg tab before bedtime and don't take any during the day.  I always feel better at night and worse in the morning while I am having my episodes.  I also went up on my Lexapro from 10mg to 15mg within a couple of days of trying to decrease my Clonazapam.  So really I'm not sure if I am feeling withdrawal still from the Clonaz or the up in dosage from the Lexapro.  Or maybe both!?  Anyway, thanks for the comment and hope you are doing well!
Cricketk92 commented on Home
8 mins ago
Cricketk92 commented on Bullies
11 mins ago
mishymoshymarcy Maybe we shouldn't think of... Comment
58 mins ago
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms