Anxiety Community
Does Xanax suppress breathing?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Does Xanax suppress breathing?

I'm a bit confused on how benzodiazepines, in particularly Xanax works in regards to breathing suppression, recently I found out that benzodiazepines work in a way that suppresses breathing.

I have anxiety and I've had Xanax as a use as needed medication for a long time, I don't use it often but knowing that I have it in case of emergency makes me feel better, but now that I think that it suppresses breathing, I don't feel as comfortable about it.

Xanax is suppose to help with panic attacks, but if I take it and now I'm thinking that it's gonna effect my breathing or limit my breathing, not sure it helps. What If I take it and my anxiety gets worse because I'm thinking I can't breath, I start to hyperventilate or not breathing right because of my fear and if Xanax is already suppressing my breathing, could I be in danger?

Maybe if I understood or had a better idea of how this really works, I would feel better about it.
It doesn't affect your breathing and is an excellent medication for panic attacks.  Below is a website explaining exactly how it works, and I hope this gives you peace of mind to take your medication when needed.  Best wishes.

http://anxiety.emedtv.com/xanax/xanax.html
Avatar n tn
Not quite the response I was looking for, I had already read that website and it in the precautions it says you should tell your doctor if you have any breathing problems, pretty much the standard stuff that made me worry that it does affect your breathing. I'm not exactly sure what kind of an answer I want, but I still hope someone else can give me more insight, the more experience the person has in the field of anxiety and xanax the better I would think.
The only way it would be dangerous in regards to breating suppression would be in large doses, like when it is used in an IV for medical procedures.  A small to average "as needed" dose for anxiety is not going to put you in any sort of danger whatsoever.  It's a great medication when used as a rescue medication for panic attacks.

This is why it's not good to overdo it researching a med.  You can end up scaring yourself unnecessarily.  Having a basic knowledge is sufficient.  Trust me when I say you have nothing to worry about, your breathing will not be affected.
abbiechap commented on 5 year old son diagno...
10356 Coyote is always out there ... Comment
Amandaleroy87 commented on Day 19; Cold Turkey T...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms