Anxiety Community
Feeling like I am in a dream.. like i am asleep..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone else feels like this..  I never posted a topic explaining my feeling.  It is hard to explain.

Ever since my first panic attack at age 13 I feel as if I have fallen into a coma.  I feel like I am asleep.  My head feels lightheaded, like there is a soft fog right beneath my eyes that cause me to be unable to see, feel, hear... etc.  

When I dream at night I wake up not knowing if it was a dream or if it was real, because i feel almost the exact same.  I feel like I am floating around in a dream.  There has not been one moment where I have "awoken" or "the fog has lifted."  It has been like this everymoment of every day for 5 years.

I have depression, anxiety, and panic.  I have been on meds which made me feel better, but I am still "asleep".  Nothing has woken me up.  

I feel like I'm just gonna wake up from a coma one day.  

Does anyone else feel like this.. or have felt like this?  Is there hope?  The docs told me the meds should help this feeling in a year or 2, but its been 5 and i am losing hope of ever waking up
While I can relate to feelings of being in a "fog" at times, and I certainly know about the lightheadedness............for me, these feelings are transitory. I feel very badly that this seems to be your "normal" state of mind.

The first thing I'm going to advise you to do is S*H*I*T CAN that MORON who is obviously impersonating a medical doctor! You need to run away from this idiot as soon as possible!

That you have been feeling like this for FIVE YEARS is totally unacceptable if he/she was aware of this. To tell you that the meds they have you on "should" help these feelings go away in A YEAR OR TWO!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT? That is just so bloody lame, I'm actually quite speechless!

You have depression, anxiety and panic..........issues that the vast majority of us are all too familiar with. And all of these conditions can be cured or controlled and it DOES NOT take five years for relief of the symptoms you speak of.

PLEASE find a new doctor, one who will spend time with you and listen to what you've been going through. I hope he will give your current medications some real thought because, in my humble, non-medical opinion, they are not working for you. (You did not say how long you have been taking them, what they are, but you did state they made you feel better) But, you still have some very nasty physical symptoms that need to be addressed as soon as possible. With your NEW doctor, get a thorough physical and ask for a referral to a good therapist...........actually I would recommend you see a psychiatrist, one who is WELL VERSED in the use of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds.They have FAR more training with these kinds of meds than a PCP and I am  100% positive they would NEVER wait around for TWO YEARS for a med to start working to relieve your symptoms! He/she will be able to monitor not only your mental health, but your physical health as well. If they see a need to add/subract or alter any of your meds, they have the power to do that..........(a therapist can only recommend that you speak to your doc about doing something different) and they will be with you each step of the way.
I can't imagine living the nightmare you are, so again, I urge you, VERY STRONGLY, to seek out more and better help as soon as you can.
PLEASE write us as much as you need and let us know how you're doing, OK?
And DO NOT LOSE HOPE! There IS help out there for your. I promise!
Peace
Greenlydia
Thank you for your help.  I have been told this by a couple different doctors.  My phyciatrist is very good.  The meds are helping my ocd, my panic disorder, and pretty much most of my symptoms except this one.  

He is suprised to hear that I still have this one constant symptom and is starting to wonder if it is something else.  I am a little anemic and hyperglycemic (spell?) and he's also starting to wonder if I have a sleep disorder.  Because I sleep a whole lot but I never feel like I've gotton any.  I'm always tired.  We are trying different things and I've kinda learned to live with it.. I just hope that someday I will feel awake again and be able to do normal things.  
Yep, I can't put a finger on that one; that hella wierd...I remember being in that state for months at a time...it frequents me, but dont know what to relate it to. Its like the biginning of what it means to lose your grip on reality...that's what axiety is doing to us..everything seems real and people make us fell like we are just imagining everything...ok, I might not be right all the time, but dont use my conditions against me and say "thats your axiety"..I aint dumb. Ima be right sometimes, too.
Like not knowing if you're dreaming or not....but I could safely say that the chemicals in your brain are setting up new transitions, so prepare for the unknown.
I totally can relate to you!!! That is exactly how I fell now and have felt for a month now. At first it would come and go, but now it is constant.......And its scary! But noone seems to understand when I try to tell them about it!! I am just starting on Lexapro 5mg, so hopefully that will help! I don't want to live the rest of my life this way!!
I hope your p-doc is doing more than "just starting to wonder if there could be something else!" I hope he is setting up appointments for you to see various specialists. Some blood work is decidedly called for as is a trip to a sleep lab. You MAY be dealing with sleep apnea, which should not be ignored, and it will leave you exhausted. Stay in your psychiatrists face about getting you the help you need! He needs to be doing one hell of a lot more than "wondering!"
Peace
Greenlydia
Same here it's been going on for 2 months on & off.I can't remember anything or what am doing.When im sleeping all i do is hear the dream not see it.it's a weird feeling.im afraid to tell my mom don't want her to worried
I posted on this a while ago, you can pull it up if you want under my name. I get this a lot and this is probably my most distressing symptom. I do know that the more you focus on it, the worse and prolonged it becomes. It IS a common symptom of anxiety and fatigue. I get it worse around that "time". I have had test after test, including a sleep study and brain scans and nothing is wrong. But I know that many anxiety sufferes deal with this. It is something everyone experiences but us with anxiety exacerbate it more, just like any other symptom. My advice is to go with it, let it be there, just like the other symptoms,I know it is hard, but the best way to get it to go away is to let it be there.
i can relate to this big time ive had this on going since i was 12 im 16 now going on 17 and i dont know how to make it stop. it goes away and comes back randomly. for some reason i dont have it much at all during winter. i try my best to cope with it but i can barely do anything. sometimes i feel like im just going to disappear. I feel like im not really here but know i am. i take medication but im on a really low dose it helped for a while but it seems to do nothing now. id go up to a higher dosage but my mom wont let me she doesnt understand what im going through. i feel your pain. its awful going everyday like this. the only place i feel somewhat right is at home and i cant stay there forever. I started seeing a councelor and hes talking to me about ways to relax during a panic attack or anxiety but i dont see how relaxing my body will help. cause the only thing making this way is my mind. sometimes i wonder if it even is anxiety.

I am recovering from a terrible addiction to high doses of xanax and the withdrawals are horrible, but getting betting now after over a year. I feel like things are 'unreal' like I'm looking at life through a black veil.  It's very scarry, but I try to cope, use logic. No body knows that I feel this way and I have every body fooled. I am 52 and have a lot of years behind me to have learned how to live based on the good years of my life. Now I go through the motions. A few months ago it was really bad. I would be washing the dishes and not know why in the world I was washing the dishes, but did it based on how I used to do it. I mean sometimes it was like I smoked some really strong pot, but I didn't and haven't in 25 years.  I get night terriors, and in the morning when I wake I have a terrible felling of being disconnected. I don't know who I am, but it passes in seconds.

I almost died  in 2006 and sometimes I think, maybe I did die and this is where I ended up.  I used to be such a happy energetic person.

I have herd of women that have post partum depression feeling this way for about 6 months after giving birth and not even caring about their baby, and then it goes away. They don't know why this happens, expect that is could be a chemical change in the brain.

You are I guess are about 18 and I know it must be very hard. With 5 of those years feeling so bad. Please continue to talk to people and get support. Be proactive about the drugs you take and research them. My advise, based on much experience and  suffering, don't take any benzodiazepines. A drug used to treat anxiety. At least not for over a 2 week period. That is my way of trying to help you.

Good luck
abby

Hi, this is my first post here. I am 16 years old, still in school.  Over the past 2 years, I was pretty heavily into heroin and cocaine. After a month or so in rehab, i was put on a suboxone treatment. Prior to the rehab, my counsellors had said that i had ADD, anxiety, and depression. I also get panic attacks, which are happening more now that i quit drugs. Over the past few months since around the time i got out, this dream-like effect has been happening.  What happens for me is that everything changes, my perception goes off as though I'm stoned on pot or on a low dose of acid. Everything gets fuzzy and I feel as though i retreat into my mind. I get a thought as though I've died, and I'm just dreaming and don't know that I died. i tried to explain this to my counsellor and parents, and they dont know what is up. My doctor said this is normal with suboxone, but i can't find it on the website or from any other patients.  The dream thing, since it startles me, induces a panic attack. It happens every day, throughout the whole day. Any input would be apppreciated, as you all know its very uncomfortable! i didnt think anyone else could relate!

please respond, thanks!
zach
Hi everyone! I found this community quite a while ago and found it so comforting that I wasn't the only one feeling as though I am asleep in a world that seems to walk around "awake". I've searched and I've searched for something to call this "disorder" and found nothing. Then suddenly one day, by accident, I found something that I really think can be what all of us here, have on some level. I found out about this thing called
"Depersonalization Disorder". Apparently you can have diffrent levels of this disorder and there are many factors that can contribute to developing it, which makes me wonder if some of us here have this disorder on some level. There's is even a movie called "Numb" where the main character suffers from severe "Depersonalization Disorder". I hope that this info has been of some help, and that everyone can breathe a little sigh of relief if it has been of any help. Stay strong! / Violet
i have post-partum depression, i noticed i was in a ''dream''when my baby was around 8 weeks, i hate it,it scares me at times to,im real happy im not the only 1,i thought i was going insane...although it seems to be getting better,or maybe im just getting used to it lol
Has anyone suffered from the frightening world of depersonilation all the time.I mean 24/7. ? I JUST STARTED WITH COUNCILING with a Psychologist, who has worked a lot with this disorder. Please answer me. Do you know if any of you has actually been helped by counciling? I really need help. I've been hospitalized 4 times for severe depression, severe anxiety, and panic attacks ( not frequently). I really need some helpful responses. I would rather not get the "I'm so sorry" answer.That won't do anything. I'm not here for pity.
hi my name is brian,im 15 and this is my first week like this. I feel as if i get by a car or something ill wake up. I dont wanna live my life like this because i feel dumb and i have bad memory. I dont know whta could have caused this but i want it to stop. I sometimes think its because of weed but ive been sober for a month now and ive smoke 5 times in my life. i dont know what i have but i want it to stop and never come back. Ive never met anyone in person thats had the same exact thing so i was assuming it was a dream. But yeah, i always sleep in class and im always pressing on my neck and moving it around hoping that ill wake up. it feels like i just living in the present and theres no point of me living.
is there anyway i could wake up from this without meds?
dear friend i feel exactly the way you feel from the past one month.i have two little kids.and i am scared to death.i want to b normal again.i am on different antiaxiety med but nothing seems to work.do anyone has idea whats going on.what if it never change.what should i so.i also feel constant stiff neck and i cant sleep well either.is that a side effect of taking escitlopram and clonazepam.plz anyone help me.its freaking me out.
hello.
I am really sorry to hear for you. I wanna start off by saying to watch what youre taking because sometimes the meds that doctors give you dont work. I also want to tell you that if you have a stiff neck dont make it a habbit to crack it or start moving it around because its really hard to quit. Instead, try to ease the stiffness with your hand. But yeah, i know what youre going through, it really ***** and i hope there is a cure for it before it gets worse. I think that its something big because alot off people have it. Ive notice that through the internet. I think we have something called depersonalization disoreder. You shoould search it up. Oh and i recomend that you just go with it. Try not to panic or stress. But yeah tell me if you learn something new
-brian
Hey i am feeling this too.
Like when im talking to my parents or someone i say what am i doing here?
Than my heart starts beating and i get scared.
Or when im doing something i feel like this is all fake, and i might actually be in accoma or something. or maybe im dead and i start getting scared.
When i was 10 years old ( im 16 now) i remember feeling the exact same way.
and now it came back. Let me tell you that when i was 10 and i had this, It lasted about 6 months and went i way. After 6 years it came back which is now.
When it happened when i was 10, i came back from traveling.
When it happened now, i quit weed.
So im thinking maybe its just your mind reajusted to the world?
message me what you think...thnx
howd it go away when u were 10?
and im pretty sure its not the bud..it might be tho because in the movie numb it happened like that and to me it did too.but it happened 3 weeks after i quit.
I can kind of help you. For the past 4 ( nearly 5 ) years, I have suffered from the same problem, I know this was posted over a year ago, but if you're still feeling the problem I can kind of help.

This for me has never fully gone away, every symptom you have described I have had. I thought it would never go away, and its very VERY easy to fall into a slumber of "this will never go away, I cant cope" I know because I have been there myself. Im not sayin this will go away anytime soon because mine hasnt, but I can promise you it will ease. I can tell you one thing for certain. This will not go away through anybody else, no doctor, no meds, no scans, no psychologists, no hypnotists. It's all down to you. I know this because like I say I have the same problem, but I have found a way to cope. You will one day just start forgetting about things, its a strange feeling thats hard to explain, but one day you will just think to yourself "wow, I havent had any bad thoughts in about an hour" and it will get a bigger gap every second.

One day something happened to me, I was in the shower, home alone, and I was thinkin about this whole thing, and i broke down, i fell to my knees and couldnt stop this crying, like crying i havent done before, i was terrified of everything including myself, i just kept repeating to myself "i cant cope". I got out of the shower and sat on my mums bed (the shower through her room) and I just couldnt bring myself together, (i know it sounds like a film but its not lol) I looked over at my mums table and she had a picture of me, her, my sister and my brothers, and I just had such a weird hit of some sort of adrhenylin, it was just as strange as when i first noticed it happened, it was like a rush over my body.. and i just felt amazing, I just thought to myself "I've thought to get on this planet, and im stronger than anything that doesnt kill me". Now it may seem like i was a little depressed or something but this was about 2 years after my first panic attack, the start of my derealization.

Since that day I slowly got better over about 3 months, its never gone away, it still comes back to this day (including today) but you learn to cope, I am bad with this about 2-3 days a month, but hey if you know what it feels like 24/7 then ull be very thankful for the rest of the month being happy :)

trust me, stick with it, change your life, its about time you were happy again, you know what im talking about, think that to yourself..

think positively:
You know you're stronger than this
You know you deserve to be happy
You're an amazing person and you should be living it to the full..

dont give up on urself :)

sorry for the big reply lol
I feel the same way and I have for about 9 months and Im just hoping it will soon go away. I don't even want to tell my parents to take me to doctors anymore because they think its just an excuse to get out of school or something, its pathetic.  
I tried changing my mindset. I've tried about 4 different medications. I first thought it was derealization. Now I think it is a bit of derealization and depersonalization. I had had brain scans, thought I might have some disease that made me feel this way. It is just me. Me and my chemicals. They need to change. I want to feel how I did 4 years ago. Real, included, a part of the world. Instead, I am just going with the flow. Even the happiest things don't phase me. I need help.
Im 16 years old.
Wow. You did well at explaining that.
I have anxeity disorder and sometimes throughout the day i feel like im in a dream and lightheaded too.  I start to freak out and think get back to reality but when u try, their is no reality.  It doesnt come back.  Thats how it feels anyways.  But its not all day, everyday like yours is.  I kind of know what your going threw.
Ill pray for you, their is hope!
You should really tell your mom!
You can get threw it faster and better!
I can absolutly relate to these posts. I am a 26 mother of two little boys. My derealization started suddenly about 4 years ago. I was working as a server at restarant and had an optical migrane (migraine) (which at the time had never had before). For those who are unfamiliar with optical migranes (migraines), you see bizzar patterns and zig zag patterns in your central vision. It is caused by spasms within the blood vessels in the eye. Well, since I had never had this before, I had a bit of a panic attack, and since that day have felt as if I am in a dream like state. While I do not feel like this everyday, it is VERY aggrervating. It comes and goes. I can have a week, or even a month when it is not present, but them BOOM it comes back again. Along with that, I have confusion, forgetfulness, and I am just afraid that one day I will go out and not remember where I live. I just hope and pray it will one day vanish all together. I have found that if I engage myself in an activity, or just try not to think about it, the derealization feelings subside for awhile...
Best of luck to everyone who suffers with these horrible feelings. Just remember you are not alone...
I can absolutly relate to these posts. I am a 26 year old mother of two little boys. My derealization started suddenly about 4 years ago. I was working as a server at restarant and had an optical migrane (migraine) (which at the time had never had before). For those who are unfamiliar with optical migranes (migraines), you see bizzar patterns and zig zag patterns in your central vision. It is caused by spasms within the blood vessels in the eye. Well, since I had never had this before, I had a bit of a panic attack, and since that day have felt as if I am in a dream like state. While I do not feel like this everyday, it is VERY aggrervating. It comes and goes. I can have a week, or even a month when it is not present, but them BOOM it comes back again. Along with that, I have confusion, forgetfulness, and I am just afraid that one day I will go out and not remember where I live. I just hope and pray it will one day vanish all together. I have found that if I engage myself in an activity, or just try not to think about it, the derealization feelings subside for awhile...
I know this is over a year old, but bear with me, there's a reason I'm dredging this "old news" up. I get this too, actually it's probly more mild than most of you, but it in combo with my other health issues makes it impossible to do much of anything when I get it. Anyhow, I spent the last hour or two researching Narcolepsy, Cataplexy, Hypnagogia, and a ton of other things that this could possibly be, but then I came across this site. Halfway down the page someone mentioned Depersonalization Disorder(aka derealization), which I just researched, and ended up in tears because I'm so happy to have finally found a name for this. DPD is the closest relating thing I've found, disorder or non.
My background: I'm 18, and have a mild form of chronic fatigue, which was preceeded by a reactive depression after the death of my brother. I do not (to my knowledge) have an anxiety problems/disorders. This dream-state and chronic fatigue (CFS) are driving me nuts because I finally have the willpower to do things (such as get my dogwood and graduate finally), but lack the physical energy and if I have energy, I often end up in a dream-state and can't focus, see properly, or concentrate whatsoever without exerting more energy than I have (I'm so having a nap after I finish writing this).

Here's some info on DDP(Depersonalization disorder): There is no lab test for this disorder. The diagnosis of DPD is usually made through interviews and scales, such as:
The Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV
The Dissaciative Experiences Scale (DES)
The Dissaciative Disorders Interview Schedule (DDIS)

Wikipedia was very helpfull to me for researching this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder
It even includes the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders' diagnosis criteria, and references the 3 possible manifestations of DPD (Derealization, Macropsia and a seemingly un-named one: A sense that other people seem unfamiliar or mechanical.

I hope this helps to anyone who accidentally (or on purpose) stumbles across this like I did, cuz oh man, that may just be the best news I've heard in a while.
Hi my name is Maria and i hate that feeling i used to get it alot but the last year i thought i was cured whatever it is but its happening to me again and i hate it! i feel like im in a dream like, when i wake up and i look at myself in the mirror i feel like im looking at someone elses eyes, does are not my eyes, its like im living my life in a third persons view, whatever it is it need to stop because i have too many things to do, and to take care and when i am in this state of being i cant do anything!!!
I have derealization and depersonalization, and right now its not as bad as it once was. I remember i use to feel like i was watching a show, were i saw people but they didnt feel real nothing did. And i never felt like i was me like my arms were connected, like my body was mine i felt like i was a pupet master in a way. I made my self move, i made my self do things and talk but i never felt like i was any more then that. I always felt lost and trying to find a way to hold onto something to feel something, to connect it really is scary.
Right now i've gotten use to it, and its suddle i still have problems reconizing familure faces but because i see them every day like my family and my coworkers its not hard, and i know them to be familure.

But i think i know something that will help, what as worked for me is lerning to be aware of my self i had signs i felt. Like laughing at a joke, even if i didnt feel joy from laughing. Or acting gressive to someone because of something hat happened earler but not feeling mad. I reacted even if i didnt feel the emotions. The other is figuring out why. I bottle things up, and because i try to run from my emotions i disconnect from them, and from all of them, or there is something i'm trying ot block out i become forgetful savearly. I sugest getting a counsalar, some one to help guide you. You need change your way of thinking to i can do something about this, this is not a lost cost and most inpotantly as hard as it is this can get beter. You can fight it but the best thing you can do is learn to change your way of thinking to i can do something and relish when you feel good or bad. You felt an that maters.
Hey, I'm 14 and i was searching google for answers to why i feel this way. I had it for a bit while i was depressed last year, and once i got rid of my depression it went away before coming back again for no reason really. There was nothing that could have triggered a relapse, and it still hasnt gone away.
   I feel like im in a dream, at one point i couldnt distinguish dreams from reality and it scared she sh** outta me. I cant fully feel emotions, and everything i see its like i dont really see it. at first i thought it was cause of weed, so i stopped. that was like almost half a year ago, and it still hasnt stopped. While in this state my bipolar symptoms became worse, i was depressed temporarily several times, i became paranoid about going insane, and experimented with different drugs hoping they would help. Hallucinogenic Mushrooms that i was taking for my depression helped at first,, but now they seem to make it worse for like a week so im stopping them. i tried LSD, but that just made me more paranoid about going insane. Now i am stopping all drugs for a while, considering that i havent done that for more than a month while "in a dream" and hopefully it will go away after a couple months. My advice is to stop all drugs including marijuana if you do any. I know im young, but i live in friggin East Vancouver and i know more about alot of things than i should. Also you should probably stop any meds that aren't extremely important, it is not natural to feel this way and could have been brought on by certain drugs, illegal or prescribed.
  Another thing that couldve triggered it could be the death of someone close to you. Sometimes if you dont let out your emotions or are depressed your brain will stop fully taking in information to prevent a breakdown. I think that couldve happened to me,, because when it started again after my depression had lightened up  it was around the time of my friends death. she was very young and it made me very sad. Since my depression wasnt completely gone cause i was still dealing with my stepdads death i couldnt deal with the emotions very well so it all got worse.
Sorry my reply was long, but i have had a lot of time and trips to think about it. I hope i helped a bit :)
Omg thank you so much for posting this.
i feel like i have going though it alone all these months.

I am 16 but it stated this jan (when i was 15) and it made me have a crappy birthday (march 6th). :@

For me i used to get panic attacks after being asked out - i dont know why, maybe because i hadnt matured enough in that way, or i might have been scared of getting hurt- i dont know. But that didnt really affect how i was. The thing that triggered it for me was my first time drunk, new years eve, which i know sounds lame but yea.. anyways, the fisr week was the weirdest, i thought it was jus the alcohol making me feel depressed and it would wear off in a week. But then again i didnt have a hangover at all. Over the weekend i started to think, 'am i growing up? Is this what it feels like being an adult?' it was like this weird feeling of being in a dream. I went to school on the monday but used the excuse of being tired. Then Tueday morning i was on the bus to school (which my dad drives!) an i was having like a panic attack/ phobia of going to school, * Also at the time i was 'on' so that might have been hormones or w.e. So i just had my dad take me home. It was so weird, i just sat there shiveringeven though i was warm.. Maybe it was a panic over how much coursework needed to be done..

anyway on the tuesday my parents took me to the doctors, and the one i went to se wasnt very supportive, and just thought it was a phase and told me to give it a couple of weeks and then if its still the same then pop back. that month was the worst and i decided to go to my ther doctor who my mum suggested as he was really supportive when her mother died.

After seeing him ive ben alot better, and at school i am getting support to help with revision etc.. But i have had alot of ups and downs. Like careers and my future and stuff.. So my advice to anyone would to find a friendly doctor who is very supportive, and tell them if something is worrying you even if it sound 'stupid', thats what i did and he said that it is completely normal what i am going through and that alot of people go through it, even when they are 25 or 30.

A book he recommened was 'Change your thinking with CBT written by Dr sarah Edleman' and he told me that its not a book that you read and it solves the problem, it helps you go through, like a book to read over the years and not all at once.

Im so glad i stumbled apon this. (: its one of the best things that happened in a while :D

I dont know if this little speech that ive mad makes any sense xD but i just want to say that if you are going through it the Dont give up! (:

I dont know if anyone wants to but i would be really grateful for somene to go throught it with me if thst makes sense of like soemone to talk to (:

add me on face book : Lucy Keedwell

Thank you x
OMG. I cannot tell you how much I am relieved that Im not the only one. Im 12 years old, and Ive been having it since october, its March now. In September, I started my new school year, and it was very stressful. In around October, I learned to cope with the stress. But I dont know what triggered it off? I was at my friends b day party and we were playing a video game, and all of a sudden I felt REALLY wierd. Like, I was about to faint, and I couldnt see things properly. I thought I was just really badly overtired. So I went to bed and when I woke up I was fine. And then, when everybody was leaving her party, I felt extremly wierd again. It has eased up, but it is with my 24/7. I have no idea why it is here. But I do know that sometimes I do get very stressed with my homework, and school and taking care of my pony. Yesterday, I was on my pony, and I felt extremely light headed. I just broke down. And my pony, being so good.. just stopped for me. And I just cried and cried. I feel alone.. ALL the time.  This thing, is getting in the way of me living my life. I feel like I will never feel properly alive and that I will always be a ghost in life.
I have told my mum, but I havent told her that it has happened 24/7. When she comes back from holiday, I willl tell her that I have maybe found out what I have (derealization) and we will go from there.
Please, wish me luck and that this temporary stage, will get leave me soon so I can start living my life.
x
im 14. and i feel like im in a strange dream, even thinking about my mum and everything makes me think 'shes my mum' :S and it feels strange, i feel like nothings real and when im in school i just cant cope, its scarey and even though i sleeep, when i wake up in the morning i think to myself 'did i just sleep or am i still dreaming' i cant cope anymore and i feel like im dying, i need help. am i dying? i cant do it anymore, its ruining my life.
So I have been feeling the exact same way as a lot of you have. I am fifteen years old, very in shape, I play soccer and I love to run. I got diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was thirteen I would eat sugar and then I would be fine. But now, now I don't know what I have. I seem to be in a fog that makes it sometimes hard to see and hard to concentrate. I feel as if I need to just wake up but I can't. The feeling comes and goes but only seems to get worse. I am scared and want help. I am going to the doc to see what is wrong, I am afraid he won't find anything though. . ? Let me know if you find anything. And trust me go to the doc don't be afraid to tell your mom you don't want it to get worse.
Im feeling like this and im 12
I feel the exact same way, except me it started about almost 3 years ago.
And at first, it seemed like it got worse and worse by the week. Everyday,everywhere i go i feel like i'm in this dream like if i lost grip of reality. I haven't really mentioned it to anyone except for now. But i want to feel and live like i did almost 3 years ago. Because to anyone who feels the same way i do, It doesn't feel right, and it's very hard to concentrate. kind of like as if there was something blocking Your soul from reality.
I feel exactly the same it started a few days ago for me and its quite frightening. I feel like I'm not fully in control of my body even thought I am doing whatever it is that I wanted to do. I feel like I have been asleep and that I am going to just wake up from a coma one day and that my dreams are just my days passing by in my head. I have lost motivation to do anything and I always feel lousy and it makes me depressed. When I read this I was glad to see the I wasn't the only one feeling this way.
Another thing is do you feel like you've lost strength I have been feeling quite weak lately; doing the most simplest tasks too...
WOW! It is amazing and comforting to know I am not the only person that goes through this.....it is such a surreal feeling.  I also suffer from depression and anxiety and seriously often wonder if I'm not already dead and just in limbo.  It is frustrating! I also get the feeling that I'm out of reality and have to try to "snap" myself back into it...it is VERY scary!!!! I'm sorry for whoever is going through this, but thank you for helping me realize I'm not the only one!
i no what ur sayin cuz i got all the same things u got depression etc just switch panic with anger issues and thats me and right now im having that feeling but i dont go see any1 cuz its kinda cool i think but it should probably be treated cuz i 1 day thought i could  slam into a moving care and it took all my will to not do it kinda messed up but i like the feeling im actually 13 right now (almost 14) and it started happening this year since i ran into more problems and such

I feel like I am dreaming when I am overtired. Do you get a good night's sleep all the time? If you are depressed try Cymbalta. It works and is proven by doctors. Though I have never been depressed the commercial is enough to convince me. I almost never feel good between my acid reflux, "nausea", and all other stuff. I am so sorry but PLEASE get a new doctor. Go to a Psychiatrist and tell them what you are feeling because it could be serious. Get an MRI and maybe you are in a coma. Do you remember getting hurt or hit or seriously injured? This may help. I hope it does girly. Feel better. <3
Girl,

- Try Cymbalta
    - Try and remember if you got seriously injured, hurt, or hit.
    - Get a CTSCAN and an MRI
    - Think why you are depressed and try and reverse it if possible, otherwise try step one.
    - Buy a kitten
HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Like everone else I'm so glad I found this discussion as I have exactly the same feeling. I've only had it for the past few weeks and I'm really scared it's not going to stop. I'm on medication for depression, but have been for years so I don't think that's the cause -though I notice most people on this post are on meds and have anxiety disorders (link?)
I have headaches too. But I have aslo atken a lot of drugs in the past- and I wonder if I've caused this through that. I hope not. I can't live like this :(

Scared.
i've had several panic attacks but after the very last one i had, i remain in this dream like scenerio. i hope i can get out of this but anyways, i think i'm getting better i just started to take propranolol and lexapro.  because of my panic attacks and severy anxiety. they checked everything in my blood it turns out i have my good cholesterol low and my thyroid is over working. i will go to see a specialist in a month or so.  anyways my point is that my doctor said that, the dreamlike state is sometimes due to the thyroid so i'm praying and hoping that it is so that i can come back home, my whole me i mean my brain.    hope this helps a little to all u here.
hi everyone , i'm 15 years old and i went through the same things that are described , it felt like i was dreaming , and i couldn't control my actions or what i said  , one time i saw a guy at my school teasing my friend and instead of getting my friend out of there ( which would be the thing that i would naturaly do ) i ran to the guy and grabbed his head and smashed it to the locker it was weird it was like i was watching this while i was tied up somewhere.... i called it a "shellshock" , but then weeks later something very weird happened i felt like i was in a trance i didn't know what it was but the color purple seemed  to attract my attention and i felt enlightened and it was like i was on a whole different level of consciousness i knew what really mattered and what didn't and i suddenly started absorbing knowledge 10 times as much as a i did before , acing every test i got , i started doing research and it turned out that i activated something called "the crown" and it resembles the color purple but as soon as i found out about it.. the trance wore off immediately , and my shellshock returned but it was at minimum .. i could feel reality  ( and still can ) i think this is beyond any doctors or any type of medicine or any medical fields.. this is not just psychological it is also spiritual
sorry for the long reply XD
lately i've been feeling on & off as if i'm in a dream. i feel like as if i was intoxictated by something & something snapped making me sober again. i've been trying to be sober from drugs & alcohol for about a month now, but it seems like not doing it, when i'm around people as if i'm extra sensitive to it. if someone is smoking something by me, i'll get contact high just being around it. & i never used to be like that. i'm scared of blacking out & i wont know where i am or what's going on. i'm scared that i'm in a dream right now & if i am, then what is my real body doing right now? I mostly feel this way at night time, & especially in cars i feel extra nervous. maybe since it's a small space & everyone's voices are close together? Even now it's starting to effect my sleeping because my dreams will be as if i'm in real life & i don't know if i'm dreaming or not, because then i'll wake up & it'll prove me wrong. it's starting to scare me pretty bad because if i stay like this, i can see myself going crazy later on in life.
im happy i found this. This feeling has been going on with me too for a couple of months now. Im 17 and ill be 18 in a month. i feel like im in a dream. Like im not all theere.Kinda like im just watching myself live life but not actually living it myself. I thought i was going crazy or something.Its gotten so bad that its hard for me to even communicate with people sometimes.  i havent told anyone about this because i dont think they will beleive me.. ive never been diagnosed with anxiety or depression or anything but sometimes i wonder if that is my problem.I think i do show symptoms of that.  Im not sure what to do to make this stop. i cant even concentrate most of the time.
omg i'm feeling the same way!! this started like a few days ago...like i can tell the different between whether i'm dreaming or awake, but it just feels like i'm dreaming, even when i'm awake. it's just like what you described - watching myself live life, but not living it myself. i look at stuff and i'm just like, ok this phone is mine, this cup is mine, but like it feels like....i came from another planet or something...
i had a lot of assignments and tests recently...and now i'm all free and stuff cuz they're all over...does anyone think i have problems, or am i just a bit too stressed?

hope i get better soon...i'm seriously hating this feeling...

but it's good to know that other people are feeling the same way...I'M NOT ALONE :) hahah
hey its me again...i know i just posted a couple of hours ago...but i'm feeling much much MUCH better now...that weird feeling bothered me for quite a few days, but after i talked to my mum about what i'm feeling and stuff, i dont feel as bad...i mean i still kinda feel like i'm watching myself do stuff...but not as much. it's always good to tell someone. i told a lot of my friends about this, although they've never had the same feeling before. just dont think about it, and it'll eventually go away :)

just tell someone. it's bad to keep it all in your head.
god bless <3
When I was twelve I was in an automobile accident that caused me to lose consciousness for a few minutes. When I ‘came to’ I felt as though I was in a dream-state to the point that I was sometimes not sure whether I was awake or dreaming. Of course I went to the doctor, he said it was the residual effects of shock and should go away in time. That was 1959; it still has not gone away. One learns to deal with it. I just saw the movie ‘Inception’ and felt very much at home.
i feel like im in a dream and i get really scared and i think maybe if i stop thinking aboout it that i will get better, but the last 3 days its been on my mind every single second. its scARY and i feel like im dying i want help ugh please im really upset someone, anyone that can possibly try to help please email me: ***@**** im really scared and just wana snap out of it
I feel 100% the same way...
Heres my story:
Whdn i was 12 13 years old I smoked some weed, i think it was laced it rubbed me the wronge way i started blacking out and had a massive panic attac for about 3 4 hours straight, in the morning i felt perfectly fine then 2 weeks layter i had a panic attac in school the only thought that ran through my head was how can this be happening i havent smoked in 2 weeks theres no possible way i could be geeking out. Turns out it was a panic attac [ dint know at the time] Well to cut it shorter after that i had panic attacs every night majior anxiouty and the one majior thing felt like i was dreaming... I couldnt even look at my mother that just got outta jail and who i missed dearly with out freaking out not being able to cope with it.

Feeling like i was in a dream lasted about 1 year or more then it started to go away... Very slowly but it did=] The sad thing is now its back=/ Ive got a cat scan befor, The last time i was feelin this way and nothing was wronge. Its a very hard thing to deal with trust me i cry and cry constantly
The story for this time is geeking on weed again this time it was the legal weed i strongly advise no one to do that stuff dont do any drugs for that matter.
I felt like i was dreamin on and off for anout 2 3 weeks and then once again i had a massive panic attac... Omg i just realized how similar this is from the last anyway
People tell me im a freak or a retard when i tell them i feel this way inclueding my family its a very hard thing i truely caint express that enough i wish there was a support group or some thing im only 15 goin on 16

But i keep reminding myself that last time it did go away and it will be the same for this one what you guys gotta do is just let it go.... I know how hard it is people!!! I caint let it go most of the times the only thing that keeps me goin is the fact that it did go away last time.

Any way let it go im not going to tell you not to think about it bcuz i know its impossible try being around your best friend or doing things that kepp your mind off of it. Your allways gonna feel that kind of blahh feeling like your dead no matter if your minds off of it or not but the scarry feelings will go away trust me you just gotta keep searchin for that one thing that makes you feel alive

You will feel a lil better doing it then you will feel alot better, spend more time doing that feel better thing more then anything else if possible... Remind yourself it will get better

In the end let it go, focus on other things, do things that make you feel better.
Good luck every one your truely not alone and it makes me feel so much better knowing that im not.
Hey guys, i'm 15 ive been feeling like this alot, i make music and perform music on stage and most of the time i have to walk off because i feel.. well like im not "there" its really horrible as most of you have been describing. i'm in a relationship with a beautiful girl and i have been for nearly two years but i feel that that is the only good thing. When i was younger my dad left me and i didnt really care back then, but ever since me and my mum moved to Scotland from Norwich, i have felt abit of me being missing. A couple of years back i attended a christian activity camp (great fun) and had a good time, learning about god and the world itself (not preaching lol) but yeah and so i got back from this little adventure and my mum told me she had cancer, i didnt cry or go depressed or anything, i just said it will be ok, this is when i first felt this feeling for only like 6 minutes. after months and months of mum in chemotherapy i started feeling weird again and more often too, like i would go out for a meal or to the city with my girlfriend, and i'd feel almost translucent, like i wasn't there and then it started getting more heavier and heavier and then i woke up one day thinking i love my life, its amazing, i've got everything i need and i adore everything. then boom, it hit again, during my exams.. i started to panic and shake and sweat and i couldnt do anything, couldnt call mum, couldnt scream or cry or run, i just had to sit there, i really couldn't concentrate. and then it started getting better and worse and about an hour ago i was watching a video on youtube and i just felt unreal, one of the worser episodes of this symptom.. i've spoken to my GP, utter crap. useless. i don't think i need a therapist or whatever because its only on and off.. i dunno. i just need to "wake up" thanks for reading this guys :) x
I have been researching similar and have come up with two different options so far and have found out some of the solution seems to be nutrition based deficiency disorders  so you can maybe get at the source of the issue. Another is Pyroluria, which is not that well known, can be determined by a test (which I just ordered) - only certain labs do them.

For the depersonalization there's info to start with here:

http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18746-read-this-if-you-want-to-recover/
http://www.ehow.com/how_5067707_increase-acetylcholine.html

Pyroluria info, start here:
www.hriptc.org
and this post kind of summed it up for me:
http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/20050510/msgs/498689.html
p.s. there is also a HPU test you could take in conjunction as I think certain people it shows up in another way - but I'm not sure. Still learning.

Feel free to google them on your own. These are only a start.
Hope that helps.
i have been in a dream like state for 19 years now and am sometimes up and bouncy, then come crashing down into a pit of self pitty and despair, i have tried cognitive behavioral therapy and group therapy...they didn't work for me but for others they can have a profound effect and pull you right out of it ....there are others, thousands of others just like you and me ..the main thing is to try (and i know how hard this is) to stay positive and do things that stimulate happiness and awareness. you are not alone and i think that is the one main thing that makes me feel better ...i am starting to quite like being the way i am ...i am different and can inspire others and help people through things just by listening...i am utterly useless at taking my own advice though, but knowing that i can effect other peoples lives and make THEM happier makes me happier in turn...smile at a stranger you may be the only person who does that day, be proud of yourself and care for all others  despite their shortcomings ...they may be feeling just like you...regards ...G
I sometimes suffer from this disorder when something traumatizing happens in my life.  The last time this happened to me was a year ago after I broke up with a girl that I worked at a bar with.  We got really deep and took things way fast so right before I broke it off with her the feelings started kicking in.  I kept repressing the thoughts in order to get over it as soon as possible but all that did was leave me with the terrible "dream" feeling.  It took time but I eventually forgot about her more and more each week and after a couple of months I was back to normal.  At least "normal" in my book; I suffer from a horribly painful neck, back and have terrible headaches so don't think I'm some 100% healthy guy that's just out to tease you anxiety folk.

My point is try your hardest to think why you might be feeling the way you do and learn to accept it for what it is.  Let your emotions out because derealization and depersonalization are considered natural ways for the brain and body to defend itself from trauma.
Hi everyone,
I have very bad depersonalization. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Please help me!
I am the same way, for the last six years I feel like I'm dreaming it up. I don't know what's real or dream anymore, I can't remember things and I feel almost like I'm going to fall asleep when I'm somewhere new. I feel somewhat okay when at home. I've never told anyone this before, I don't thing that they will understand. Its scary and I want my old life back.
Yes I feel like that all day today but it feels severe like I'm really out of it like everything is fake and not real I want it to go away its scary the crap out of me this is the worst derealization I've ever felt help plz
Hello everyone,
I have been carefully following this thread and its great to see I am not alone!

The reason we feel like this, is due to an imbalance in your brain chemicals. It causes anxiety, depression, and this 'dream like state' we have all been feeling.

A lack in Serotonin, and dopamine are major contributors for this feeling.
You will need to do further research into the neurological brain chemicals which are making us feel this way, and how to raise these levels.

There are 12 different chemicals in the brain which control human beings every mood and cognitive state. Further research into how to raise these brain chemicals will help you all on your way. : )
Hello everyone. I have had this problem for maybe 10+ years ( I am 26) and I remember trying to explain it to several people without anybody seeming to care or take it seriously.

One way I had also tried to explain it was like I was "buzzed" or "high" but "dreaming" seems to describe it even better.

I have had depression and anxiety both and it is interesting to see so many other people have those problems as well. I have found three ways to manage it and they have worked very well.

One of the best ways for me has been cardio. I was overweight when I was younger and this helped me to lose weight, but that was just a secondary effect. I was not really trying to lose weight, I just realized that I felt so much more clear and normal after and hour or more of cardio.. It was hard to get into this habit because exercise can be painful and hard when you start it, I had to really work past that uncomfortable stage to get to a point where it was happily part of my daily routine but it was well worth it once you get there. I typically just keep going and going until my head feel clear. Music helps get you through the long cardio sessions too and takes your mind off things.

Second was medication that helped control my depression and anxiety. I don't need them as much now as I used to, but I was at a point where my depression hurt so badly, and my anxiety was off the charts that I really needed some help to get back to a place where I could manage it. And exercise helps keep me at that place even if I am off medicine.

The third technique is something I used if I want to immediately feel better and free of the foggyness or anxiety or depression and have mental clarity and feel good. I am going to be a bit lengthy with the explanation but only because it works so well and also because during my worst moments of feeling this way, sometimes I just wanted to die because it was so horrible. And this helped so much that I cannot keep it to myself.
Some of you might notice how this is pretty much similar to the technique used in Buddhist Vipassanā Meditation. Interestingly enough, I actually used this technique one night without knowing a single thing about meditation. I just wanted my mind to stop racing and I was so upset and so depressed that I got angry enough to just force my mind to shut up and think clearly. Years later I read about meditation techniques and was excited to see that there is actually a very powerful and very strong history to go with what I did.

This method takes very strong mental willpower but you can do it if you do not give up...

Sit in a chair or lay down, whatever is comfortable and close your eyes and imagine a point of light or a flame or any type of object. Do not get upset if you cannot visualize anything, even the effort of visualizing will work. You want to focus all of your concentration on focusing on that one object and clear your mind of all thoughts... This is hard because either your mind is running like crazy and is part of your problem, or you find yourself thinking "I need to not think of anything" which is in itself a thought.
It is easy to get frustrated but this happens to everyone and is part of the process.. Just keep bringing your focus back and keep pushing away all thoughts until your mind is completely quiet and attempt to keep it quiet. Challenge yourself to see how long you can go without having a single thought. After awhile (3,5,10 or more minutes) you will feel a rush of calm come over you and your mind. It will suddenly  You should experience a wave of happiness and relief. Pure calm. You can continue to lay there and experience this or you can stop and it will have residual effects for a little while and it will be comforting to know that a sense of calm and reality is just a few steps away if you need it again.

You cannot strive for this feeling of calm. The more you try to force it to come, the more you push it away. Your only goal is to clear your mind of all thoughts and every time you get distracted, just bring your focus back again and again. Do not give up. Push away all thoughts and struggle for complete and absolute silence. Focus with all your mind on just staring at that one spot. Your mind WILL eventually calm down and shortly after your happy feelings and clarity will come.

This analogy might help you get started. Think of it almost like you are taking a test to rate your concentration. Pretend a doctor has asked you to stare at a light bulb and the very instant it lights up, you must press a button in your hand.
You are completely and intently focused on that light bulb. Only watching it. Paying attention to nothing else but it. The very moment that bulb lights up, you want to press the button as FAST as you can because you want a good score..
That is the focus you want to give on an object in your mind. But you are not waiting for it to do anything, you are just watching it with all of your focus and intensity. Just being aware of it. You want it to be as if nothing else exists but you and it.

If it is hard to focus on an object, you can try to focus on your breathing but for this purpose I found focusing on an object worked better because it made me force my mind into submission as it was more difficult to make a pretend spot of light appear in my mind than to just listen to my breathing.

(Sometimes you might accidentally -or perhaps on purpose- enter a state of meditation where that object changes into something else or becomes very clear... Or maybe you aren't imagining anything at all but just clearing your head and, after awhile, an object suddenly bursts into your vision, usually very clearly. That is okay and just keep watching it with all of your focus. The first time this happened to me it was a flower. I have no idea why, it seemed random. It was a fun experience though. But that goes beyond the purposes of this.)

The main problem with doing is that the "foggyness" makes it hard to focus to begin with and it seems like it will not work or it seems hopeless. Also this foggy state of mind can sometimes leave you feeling very lazy or uncommitted. It will take your own willpower to force yourself to do it.

I hope at least some of you have still read this far and I hope you try it and it helps. If you really get interested in it, you can read more about meditation and find ways that work better for you or that you enjoy.
One more thing to go along with what I just posted...There is also a technique used in history of instead of imagining an object or a light... you are visualizing a flame or a fireplace or a torch and then imagine that you are taking all of your anxiety or bad feelings and feeding them into the flame one by one and watching them burn up... Us a bonfire if you want, or a huge raging violent fire and burn those things to a crisp.. use your imagination as much as you want.. that more helps when i am feeling anxiety though and is not quite the same experience you reach if you force your mind to be silent and focused for an extended period of time... The effect of doing THAT is just something that you have to experience and will be happy you did it.
It is awesome coming across this discussion, ive felt this way since i was around 7 or so, and am 20 now. about 3 weeks ago it intensified. I feel the same way you all described except i never had any panic attacks. But i am more depressed now than ever, but it will get better soon, finally moving into my own place with my GF.  I told a few close friends and all the responses i really got were, "get more sleep" and i feel the same way even with 12 hours of sleep on the weekends.  so i googled feel like everything is a dream...lol and got this! reading all your posts made me feell alot better!  Thankyou everyone here!
im 14 years old, & ive got the same, im really scared :( i had to walk out of school today because it felt to wierd for me, i really want it to go :'( someone help me.
Im 15 years old and i have done drugs etc.. i havent smoked pot since feb. 26 i think. and i honestly dont even have the desire to get high anymore. i am taking adderall (adderrall) for my ADHD and the past couple of days i feel like im not in reality at all. like everything is a dream to me and im just waiting to wake. and i cant find the might in my mind to wake. i feel as if im lost and i dont know the way out. or as if i seriously am out of my own mind. i have been pissed off all day and jumping on everyones ****. i feel like im numb. or as if im on muscle relaxers. i felt like this for about 35 minutes last saturday. it was scary. i dont know how to explain it to my mom cause i think she will think im high or crazy. but i know that i need to confront her about it. i dont like it at all. i feel like im not myself at all and when i do sleep i have crazy/scary/sad dreams. than when i wake up i feel like i only got one hour of sleep ! when really i got 10. its pathetic! i feel tired all the time. i feel like im not safe no matter where i am. and my emotions are hellla twisted! and i also feel like im moving faster than normal or like im not moving fast enough. i feel like when im laying down that im sinking lower and lower. i really DISLIKE!!!! this feeling.
if anyone has any advice please please help ! thank you.

- hope.
your also welcome to email me at hope.cameron.***@****
Ive been like this for several months, and i had it when i was like 8 for about a year.  All i can say is, just be as happy as you can. Have fun with friends and keep your mind off of it and eventually it will fade..
I wanna thank everyone who posts on this. It helps me to know that there is other peopl out there with the same problem as me. I try to explain it to my family and friends but nobody know what I am going thru. I had my 1st panic attack about 2 years ago when i was 20 and ever since i have been in this "dream like" state. I was on some anxiety meds which did nothing. After that ive been just living with it and hoping it gets better. It seems to be better when my mind is occupied and its not like im depressed. I'm acctually happy overall with my life. but ever since it started i just havnt been the same. I think i am going to go to the dr. again soon and talk to him about this. I was wonering if anyone has had there symptoms improve with this? what treatments seem to help? also has anyone had this and had it completly go away o am i stuck like this forever? i think that is the scaryest thing for me, it freaks me ot to think ill be like this for the rest of my life!...also look up Depersonalization disorder, ths seems to be exactly what i have but who knows
Guys.. I felt like this for about 8 months. This all started when I smoked marijuana for the first time in my life. I had the worst experience ever, and after that, this weird thing started to happen to me. During the first month, I kept convincing myself that it was just the marijuana that was still inside me that made me feel like this, but after the 2nd month passed, I was still feeling this horrible feeling of not living reality. What I feel is that it seems that I am living in a dream, although I know this is reality. Now, I need to inform you guys that the strangest thing just happened to me. I had already looked up for the symptoms that I am feeling in the internet but it was long agoo, during the first months. I couldnt find what I was looking for and couldnt relate anything with my symptoms, although anything that I read would trigger a panic attack in which would make my heart to start racing. Everytime I read or heard words like ezquisophrenia (sorry, idk how to write it) or crazy or something like that, my heart would start pounding really hard and I would have the worst feeling inside me. But now, I just decided to look it up again in the internet and I found this page, where everything here relates directly to what I felt, and while I was reading, MY VISION STARTED TO SPIN AND EVERYTHING GOT VERY BLURRY and suddenly, everything got a lot clearer, as if someone took the "fog" out of me. Believe me or not, but this happened. I know what everyone of you feels like, and I couldnt help sharing my experience because I know that what happened to me will happen to everyone here. YOU JUST NEED TO FIND THE RIGHT TRIGGER. Something will trigger you waking up into reality. Definitly. But you need to find out what it is. I know exactly what many people with this "fog" will feel when they start to read this page, like I felt, they feel as if this is all CREATED BY OUR IMAGINATION and none of this is real. I did feel this many times. At first, I was really desperate when I thought of that because there was no way of proving it wrong, since anything you do can perfectly be created by our imagination. BUT, after many panic attacks, I did find a proof that there is a way to prove your own mind that this is not created by your imagination. HOW COULD YOU GET DESPERATE OF SOMETHING THAT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THAT IS HAPPENING. I mean, if this really was all created by imagination, you would never think of the possibility of all of this being created by your own imagination. I know.. it is hard to understand at first.. But try to figure it out.. For example, a mentally retarded person would never understand that he is mentally retarded, since his brain is not developed enough to understand what it means not to be mentally retarded. Another example could be a person who is born blind. If nobody told this person that he was born with a problem that he cant see, he would never know or imagine that he was born with a problem, since he always was blind. This is the same thing with our case. If all of this was really created by our imagination, we would never think about the possibility of this being created by our imagination. I hope you guys understand what I mean. THERE ARE TWO THINGS YOU SHOULD DO TO BE CURED. 1st- YOU GOTTA CONVINCE YOUR OWN MIND. You need to convince yourself that this is really reality. But to convince your mind, you need to find your own way to do it. I found mine, and it was by philosophizing that this universe isnt created by my imagination. Every person needs to find out the way to convince themselves that this is reality. 2nd- YOU GOTTA FIND YOUR TRIGGER. There will be something in this world, could be anything, that will trigger your "wakening". It could be anything, it could be reading something, or doing some kind of move, anything. You will never know what will make you feel alive again, but believe me, YOU WILL FEEL NORMAL AGAIN. One day, out of a sudden, you will be surprised, and it will be, definitely, one of the happiest days of you life.  
I feel the same thing, kinda. When I feel like I'm dreaming it's like, pressure and numbness and I can't focus on anything anyone says to me

It usually happens when I am cold......but sometimes, it happens for no reason

That's what scares me, because I am only 12

PS- I do not have any health problems and I am not allergic to anything! "Not Dreaming" has happened to my BFF too.
Well, uh, I'm not like sleeping when it happens.....

I'm awake, but it's still kinda the same thing, right?
Hey all!
I have been reading most of your stories..
And I think we all have been threw so much
With anxiety and what not.. Can I just say life
In it self is hard! I used to be really bad
But I haven't taken meds for a while now!
Just been eating good working out more and
Know its all in my mind.. But those times
Where you feel completly out of control is awful
Feeling in a haze like ur on a drug or something!
Crazy what the mind is capable of..
wow, i feel like theres a bond between all of us. i feel like this now. like im in a dream, nothing really matters, but at the same time i care alot, i can have convos with ppl but not remember who they were for the life of me. im so forgetful. this is AWFUL! my moms side of the family suffers from this. its horrid. they know what im going through. we get panic attacts just talking about it together. but my dad has NO idea what im going throgh. and with my anxiety im worried he dnt beleave me. he thinks i can just shake this feeling off, and let all my fears go! its not even close to being that easy. hes only worried about, the costs of the theripist and all the doctors im going to have to go and see. ik that he will never understand wats going on. i try so hard to explain my self. but it stresses me out even more! my mom says its not my job to make him understand. he dont get that if i could pull myself out of this feeling i would! i feel like im wasting my life away. i had (might still have) ALOT of goals :( i just want to get better!!!!! i DO NOT feel better that there are other ppl out there feeling like this because this feeling is the worst feeling.
I actually think that I have the same issues as you. But will this last forever?
I know exactly how you all feel. It's as if a one day you close your eyes and when you opened them you were some place different although everything seems the same. Like everything is just off like you do not belong here and can't explain it. Which seems very crazy you have real memories of the past only to find out from the people you thought you shared the memory with it did not happen with them or at all.
I know that the mind is very powerful we all know this it seems to be common knowledge, I have felt this way since I was 8 years old I am now 33. I had something happen to me back then something to this day I never forget. Since that night I woke from my "dream" I have been feeling like I am in a dream. Well when I 15 I ended up getting in some trouble and I was sent to a department of corrections for minors. Oddly enough when I got there I closed my eyes and opened them and everything was clear. On the visits with my mother and father they seemed real full of emotions like even though I was locked up I was home really home. So 10 months later I get out and go home everything is going well fast forward 4 years and I am 19 I close my eyes, open them and poof I am back. Since 19 I have felt like this world is fake nothing matters or is real. The only thing I have found that helps me  is the smoking of marijuana and that’s only to really sleep if I don’t I would stay up 24/7 even when I smoke I still only sleep for 2hrs a night. It is because no matter what I cannot wake up, being high, drunk, on meds nothing helps. I even have kids I have pro created and I feel like they are the only things in my life that are truly real, I see them very clear always like sharply clear.
I have gone through the motions and now I am wondering if it is possible to either slip into a parallel universe or switch subconscious mind with another you on another reality. I know these sound totally insane, however after many docs tons of researching I am still not awake but medically fine? I am out of ideas. Good luck to us all. Maybe one day we will be free!
This sounds simillar to what i went through for about 4 months, and am still somewhat going through to this day. Honestly im not a doctor therapist or anything im just a 17 year old kid but one night recently when it was happening to me really bad it felt as if i had never left a specific moment in my life when it first happened to me and everything everyone was doing felt cliche or as if i already knew what they were gonna do what was going to happen and almost like everyone was going along with some script the i didnt know of, like i lost my role in the play. As usual i went on thinking and thinking scarying myself even more and more and the i finally came to terms with it. "Im here, everything is how it should be, there is no need to change it." and that complete acceptance to it just made everything beautiful for some reason. I don't know how to exactly explain it but maybe you should try this rather then trying to fix the 'problem' through drugs and other things.
omg. I thought it was just me. Nothing is for real, I feel like I am walking around in a fog, a dreamlike state. Read about derealization and it sounds similar to that. I guess it's just my way of saying I am on anxiety overload and cant' cope with anything else. I just answer people back robotically forced, though I don't mean or care what I say. My mind just doesn't work anymore, it's like I am on autopilot. Bills and relationships spun my head around and I don't know how to come back out of the dream world. I don't want to talk to anyone, just lay on my couch where it's safe, I hate being out in the world, and I have become a total introvert.
Hi. I have felt the same way as you for short periods of time feeling light headed and dizzy and 'disassociated' from reality. it is tough and even scary because I felt like I had little control on my life.  I tried different anti-depressants for depression and anxiety and have sifted through all the symptoms as well as the results; well, over time it becomes clear that you need to pay attention to what your triggers are.  what kinds of things/ situations trigger your anxiety- especially your panic attacks and then your depression too.   the most light- headed and dizzy experiences I had were when I was experiencing or was about to experience a panic attack.  in my opinion I wonder if you are prone to panic attacks?  is there any way you can isolate the "sleep" in your mind and figure out a way to make it clear up for even just 2 minutes? because this discovery could open the door to your consciously being aware of your self and your self's reactions to the environment. you can start to view your self- its called being 'The Observer' and it works the same way as meditating and stilling your mind. a lot of depression starts with being overly concerned with the emotional state we find ourselves in. stilling your mind is a way to put your emotions in perspective and you may discover that your 'Observer' is really quite calm through any situation.  of course medication can help you still your mind and it is worth sifting through. find other sources of relaxation and of course exercise.  I don't think we as a whole understand the point of exercise (beyond that exercise is healthy). why do our bodies need to work?  .....our bodies are made to move and they are made to be fast and they are made to be flexible.  I think we need to exercise for the sake of exercise. find that pleasant strain on your body the point where you can feel your blood is now pumping and your muscles feel strong and most of all- your lungs are refreshed.  I think for someone with a cloudy head it would be crucial to 'be in your body' and breathing good clear air with the conscious intention of taking in good clear air.  once your body has worked a little it will give into relaxation. hope this helps
I also agree with this philosophy by Justheretohelpp: YOU GOTTA CONVINCE YOUR OWN MIND. You need to convince yourself that this is really reality. But to convince your mind, you need to find your own way to do it.
Is this normal for a 14-year-old?  Because I seem to be awake only when I'm having big moments and exciting things are happening. I act normal but usually it's like I'm reading a book instead of actually living. I am not aware of my body many times and sometimes I doze off and sleep when my eyes are open - is that even possible ?  Maybe it's just a phase. I wasn't like this before. I don't feel bad about myself but I am never really aware of myself either.  
I feel the exact same way. I'm 15 and it's been coming and going since the day I gOt caught smOking weed about 3 months ago. Usually when I go to school and constantly have something destracting me such as a project or home work it helps alot. After 2 moaths of not thinking about it , it went away entirely but came back ever since my wrist surgery.

I feel terrible sorry for you and want to say this can happen to just anyone. I dont have anxiety or panic or deppression but at this point in time my life is full of stress. I would recommend sleeping more finding a distraction like work or video games if you can. Also just let it pass. The less you dwell on the symptoms the faster they will pass. When I get these symptoms I learned to just calm down and deal with it. In my mind I know im real and real life is goin on it just doesnt feel like it.

Just relax and remove your self from stress full situations. Listen to classical music before bed, or read a book. I also try to avoid scary things such as horror movies before bed so I don't end up having very vivid and awkward dreams or night terrors. Another symptom may be cold sweats, just forget about it and watch tv or something act as if nothing is happening it's all stress and its really all in your head. I hope you get better and don't have to deal with this pain much longer.

C ya
Logan
Wow This happened to me when i overdosed on spice worst mistake of my life btw but its good to know I am not the only one I am quite passed it but ever thing felt so unreal it was scary like a was sinking in to a dark abyss. Hope you get better I HONESTLY hope you do.
Hi.
I'm 31 years old, and I had mild panic attacks when I was around 23 for a few months, but was lucky enough to read a book on meditation which described the "Safe Harbour meditation". This helped me immensely, and I have not had one since. It worked for me, but I don't know why, or if it surefire to help everyone.....
However.... Over the last few months I have had a very strange thing happening, which has just got to a peak in the last few days.
Basically, it is similar to some of the above descriptions, except I feel awake, but it is like my subconscious is pushing to take over my "awake" mind.
Everywhere I go reminds me of a dream and I begin to drift towards that dream. Even though you can't put your finger on the dream, (just like after you have woken up from sleep, the dream made sense whilst asleep, but no sense when you are awake) I feel like it is real, but also my mind knows it cannot be. Very strange indeed I can tell you!
I also seem to recognise everyones faces. people i have never met before have familiar faces.
I am going through a lot of stress at the moment. I am away from my wife and daughter, and am unsure at the moment how we will fix our situation. I know this has most likely contributed, but can anyone shed some light? please...... Even smells, or touch, or anything can make me feel like im dreaming while awake......
I can still interact normally, and still work at a very social workplace. It is just so very very strange and not nice at all.
I am not sure if it will get worse also....

Sorry for the long post. I hope you all find happiness and peace.
Cheers
Duncan
hi i cant express how relieved i am knowing im not the only person who suffers with this unidentified illness,i was 14 when it began after finding out my mum had cancer  , to begin with it was irregular and quite frequent but after about a year i discovered a way to temporarily cure myself and that was to stare at my self in a mirror and empty my mind of any thought. anyway after about 2 years it gradually became less frequent untill eventualy it disappeared completely . In the last few weeks it has come back but this time its permanent. i original thought it was due to a lack of sleep but after a couple of good night sleeps i now know it isnt related. the symptons are identical to what has been described i feel like im not present in mind but watchin as if it was on tv. i feel like im in a constant day dream where i can see everything but cant connect my mind to it, almost like there is something in-between stopping the connection . I can talk to people but always feel like my full attention isnt there, it isnt to bad when i keep my self busy because i can distract  my self from it  , quite often i panic which only makes it worse and then i begin to feel physically sick and sometimes am, my heart begins to race and its very difficult to get my self out of that situation. if any one know any way of controlling this i would extremely happy to hear it. thanks liam

YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just finished reading through all these posts. One thing everyone needs to realize is that your not alone! I started having most of these symptoms since age 7. I am now 33. They have never completly went away! I have seen all the best doctors in two states and have been in and out of hospitals since age 13. NONE of the medications ever worked! I have done years of research online. I know EXACTLY what causes this but as other people have stated, ONLY YOU can fix it! Medication only adds more "personal" problems! If your married, you will know what I mean!
These symptoms are caused by one or all of three things! Severe Depression, Anxiety, Post tramatic stress disorder! If something terrible ever happened to you, you MUST talk to someone about it! You CANNOT keep it trapped inside! It will eat you up! Even if its only a close friend, let it all out! In my experience, there is never really a true friend! They may tell someone else if you ever got mad at each other! It is best to tell a doctor! They have to keep it private! Anxiety also plays a major role in this condition! It will make you light headed and hard to breath. Anxiety is nothing more then fear! The way to break this cycle is to face your fears! Are you terrified of roller coasters or airplanes? Do one or the other! Are you afraid of snakes or spiders? Afraid of the dark? You have to face these problems! Do you ever feel like people are talking about you? Do you have problems going into stores? Start saying hello to people instead of running away!! Start trying to take slow breaths in through your nose and exhell out your mouth! When your anxiety kicks in, it can make you extremly light headed and dizzy! I have read numerous books that state the human body can heal itself from ANY illness! Ever had a wart?(I know, gross)  Did the doctor ever tell you to try and "wish" it away? This is what I am talking about! Its mind over matter! I can promise you this!!!!! If you face even just one of your fears, you will see a HUGE improvment! You only get one life! You deserve to be happy and enjoy it! I can tell you all of this because I assure you, I was FAR WORSE off then most of you! I tried to take my own life at age 11. I was hanging in a barn and had to have CPR.
I spent two years in a hospital. I almost died a second time when I was 20 or so. Had to have kidney dialisis. What happened to me at age 7 was to much for me to live with. I only ever told one doctor about it and I made him swear never to write it in my files! It helped so much! Please beleive me when I tell you, talking helps!  You are just locking your mind into a prison by keeping it inside! If your ever feeling lonely and just need someone to talk to, there are lots of numbers online (helplines)! No one should ever have to be alone! Once you start facing those fears, you will go out more and meet new people! I still have lots of fears and they are all on my list of things to do! I am terrified of hights. After I rode my first roller coaster, I wrode it 10 more times in a row! After you face it, you will see there was really nothing to be afraid of! I felt so free that day! No fog what so ever! One thing I have learned over the years, is that in order to fix something, you have to first find out what caused it to break. As a lot of people have mentioned, they have learned to deal with it! As I to have! I dont take any pills any more! I would highly recommend getting a full blood workup done! Do you ever get so tired after you eat? Like you have been up all night? One thing I have found that helps this is to never watch tv while eating! After you eat, go for a walk through the park! It is so peaceful and relaxing! Go to the lake and feed the ducks or birds! They will be so grateful! I also highly recommend getting a pet!
I could go on and on! I know some of these things I have mentioned will help a lot of you! I can truely say I know what you are going through! No doctor ever could! How could they? Doctors are only good at one thing! guessing! I truely hope you all find peace and joy in your lives! I have one last thing to say and some of you may so no way! Go to church on Sunday! Just to be around people if nothing else! Everyone needs something to beleive in! Church going people are always so happy! They will always listen if you need to talk! A preacher is also a good person to talk to! They will never betray you! Please just try it one time! I am not saved and I am not trying to push religion on anyone! I am only saying to go to be around "good people"! You wont be sorry, I PROMISE! Keep trying diffrent ones untill you find the right one!
I kno how u feel, I had a horrible panic attack in January that sent me to the Emergency room an everys since then it feels like my life stopped, like maybe I'm still at the hospital in a coma, sometimes I think maybe the only way to wake up is to die in here, but i'd never b crazy eno to kill myself.. I just wanna feel normal again, at night I lucid dream so I don't get any sleep at all, an during the day at school I keep my headphones in cause it terrifies me being around so many people... The worst part is I can't go to a doctor because I don't gave insurance an my mom thinks I'm fine I'm bein dramatic, so no mess or counseling to help, all I kno is I can't live like this forever
I am writing on behalf of my son who is 14, he has been having these 'sensations' and being a homeopath have started treating him with homeopathy.  He tells me that he feels like he is in a dream and feels that there is a 'mental block', he tries to splash water on his face to 'wake himself up'....he wanted me to post this to tell you that you are not alone, for since he felt better when reading this article knowing that others have the same....I suggest you see a homeopath, I think you will be pleasantly suprised that this can be 'cured'.
Okay, i will start from the beginning. For a little over a week, we were kinda taking care of this stray cat. And a few days later, on to the next week, i haven’t felt myself, like, i am sitting back in my head, watching a movie. not in the moment/far from my head, far from earth, things aren’t real, i’m all there but i’m not…….ETC. Think you get the gist. Ant that same week i haven’t taken my medication(i take Levothyroxine, a Thyroid medication, and i heard it can do some pretty crappy things) Anyways, taking care of a stray cat, and not taking meds. Okay, well, after a week i really get things turning, and start to really wonder, Me Being Me, looked up diseases you can get from cats/animals, and the Number one thing that stuck out was Rabies, well, i started looking at the symptoms for Rabies, and THEN, things REALLY started clicking! I really started freaking out, and this was just a couple days ago from today(Oct. 10th, 2011) Then i had a major panic attack, and to this day i still feel like i have Rabies and i still worry, have funny symptoms. My mom tries to tell me, i have had my Immunizations, and i am up to date, and that protects against that stuff, and she says the cat is healthy. SO, i want to know if most of this is from not taking my meds + an Anxiety issue, or what, because i still get freaked out and have panic attacks, and still believe and think i have rabies. Mom disagrees 100% with what i think. I am a 15 year old boy. She thinks its the meds(im not taking when im supposed to), and now that i am better, she thinks i still have bad Anxiety that is making me weird. Because normally, i have NEVER had Anxiety problems like this, Hoping that’ what it is. Comments pleas, need to set my mind at ease.
I'm so scared with my feelings cause nobody seems to know nor understand what we're going through, but yes the half asleep feeling describes it perfectly, as if you have lost grip or reality and everything isn't real like your in a coma and will one day snap out of it. I'm fed up with going to the doctors and they look at you like your crazy.
I have felt like this now for about 15 months 24/7 I just want to feel myself again I suffer from anxiety real bad and they helped for awhile but now my doctor wants me to wean off them and my anxiety seems to be getting harder to handle so I want to get back on them again.
I feel like I've had enough of this like I want to end it all but i'm too chicken to do it because what if there is a reason and it can be fixed?  Plus I can't leave my daughter. Anyone wanna talk about it with me well feel free to email me at ****   @    *******  .com    
had to space it out cause I noticed alot of the other emails were email sensitive.
I thought I was the only one who has that foggy, dizzyness! Holy Crap. My docotor just said that I had ADD and panic disorder...
This helped me:))) trust me it goes away:))

http://www.squidoo.com/anxiolytics
I feel exactly the same i faint all the time too and i dont know if they are connected :(
i havnt felt "awake" in months!
Im in the same position as most of you. I am 13 and I have no idea how long I've felt like is, what triggered it or how I can get it to go away. It's horrible. I have mild OCD and I think I might have bipolar disorder. I feel like im in a coma, or one day I'm gonna have an accident and go into a coma, then when I wake up, I won't remember this time in which I've felt like this. To be quite honest I hope that happens and if it does for it to happen fast because I feel like I can't LIVE. When I'm around people, I don't notice it as much as when I'm alone. When I'm on my own I tend to cry a lot and feel useless and scared of life.

As its been a while I would like to see if anyone has come out of their 'coma' yet and whether lifes any better.

All my love and hope

Louise xoxo
I think what so many of the people who have posted in this thread are describing is what is referred to as "derealization", and I believe it is a rather common experience for people who suffer with anxiety disorders. I too have experienced it more than I would ever have cared to. But I do believe it is a symptom or feeling that can be easily be perpetuated and worsened by focusing on it and worrying about it, which can of course lead to panic over it. It's something you can just as easily talk yourself into as it is easily forgotten when you're preoccupied with something else.
I had anxiety and depersonalization for 3 months,feeling like i have been lied to on earth,like there is some hidden truth and feeling unreal asking myself how do i breath,dream,sleep etc its an annoying feeling,but i learned to control my mind and tell myself that i am living, what really helped was believing that there is god and he said he will never leave us and that he would not give us a burden bigger than us,i gave my life to jesus cause i did not know whats happening and went to a psychiastrist and got a perstription now i am perfect,one think you gotta try to do is to not to pay attention to it, thats how you make it alive. Look around you and tell yourself i am alive and do not pay too much details into life.
I have experienced alot of these symptoms - feeling unclear, without clear memories, I feel as though part of me is asleep all the time, I often 'daydream', meaning that I am staring into space. I also have experienced depression, and possibly child abuse when I was young. I am wondering if this type of experience happens because we do not really want to be part of this world, we kind of float away from reality because it all seems too hard. I want to be more positive and energetic. I have also heard that eating raw foods can help people lift mental fogs, so I am trying a green smoothie once a day, and do my best to remind myself of the good things happening in life and try to get involved with positive activities.

sorry, I forgot to mention I also can't focus well and often get into fights with my partner when I dont listen to him as a result of this difficulty!
I mostly Feel Like I am awake or asleep I have had this symptom for at least 2 years now And Like someone else said I dont feel like I am realyl there but I know I am at first I thought this was schitzophrenia but then I realized that my mom is put on Anxiety medications and I think she went through the same things... I am a 14 Year old male And Sometimes I think that my problem was one of a kind but now that I know that it isnt all that bad that alot of people have it I find it sort of "Natural" Maybe but all I know us that I dont remember much of anything aand well I dont really know... I think it is because Of Insmomnia Anxiety and sorta depressed and at times i want to say **** it all and kill myself I use to be emo But all of that **** changed cause I found it pointless and I dont want anyone finding out and You can get aids from it... And most of the time its like is this real or is it fake? I cant get the feeling out of my head I just cant cope the feeling of it since it has been happening for two years I kinda make it seem natural... And sorry if this Post doesnt make any sense and if i repeat myself alot... It is just that I cant remember alot of the stuff I type I am up late at night every night and I still cant figure out my problem Shoul I see a doctor about this problem maybe see the same doctor that my mom is seeing for this? I think I should because I also never want to leave the house or anything I never want to leave my mom or dad because in the outside world I feel like i am a loner and that no one understands me except for my mom and dad and my sister But I am honestly afraid to admit this stuff to my parents cause... Well I dont know But If you would like to talk to me more about my problem and want to talk about your problem you can just E-Mail me at ***@**** I would like to knwo what to do about this I would love help :) Thank you for your time for reading this I would love for someone to respond to this.....
Hi, I just skimmed through most of the comments so I can't be sure, but I'm surprised I haven't seen the word "derealization" mentioned...try looking that up. It sounds like you have it (or used to have it). I'm so sorry you or anybody else has to go through this, I've had it for over 2 years and it's awful..but you can recover so don't stop believing.

Hi everyone i am 18 years old and going through a really bizzare time of my life right now. ABout a couple of years ago i 'bonged' out my friends room with weed and ever since then i've never felt right, i feel like i am stuck in limbo  between dream and reality and everything seems like it isn't real. I don't feel right with myself and don't feel like i'm living in reality, my memory is really bad and everything i do seems dream like and is not real. I'm writing this but i don't feel it's actually me doing it, it's like i know what reality feels like and this isn't it. Recently my memory has been really bad and about a month ago i did weed again and not even alot and i thought i was paralysed it was the worst feeling ever. I don't know what to do as i don't feel like i'm in real life does anyone know what's wrong with me and what i can do?i'm scared to go to a doctors incase they think i'm crazy!!!
.
Oh my god this is brilliant and exactly like me. I am 14 years old and I have been having this since, like, 5th grade, and i sort of got used to it but lately it was getting worse. someone told me that i had mild paranoid skitzefrienia, but i don't hallucinate or anything. my mom eventually found this page and told me about it. at first i didn't believe her but since i have been reading these, depersonalization is exactly what i have. but its so frusterating, not being able to live properly, willing yourself to just wake up one day, but then you just... dont. its so scary. now i know that i am not alone or going crazy in a weird unexplainable way. i suck at school just because of this too, because, like in a dream, you just 'go with it', like contoling everything but not enough to have lagitimate control over yourself. like you know what you are doing but you just cant change it no matter what. i really hope that there is hypnosis or meds or something that will make me better... this will help me stop ignoring it and try to do something. thatnk you so much :)
How did u get over it   please tell me
Hello, I have been feeling quite similar for the past 3 months now and it is very annoying and discomforting. The idea of "just going with it" works very well as sometimes I just enjoy myself and forget all about it. But at other times I just think about it and worry and ask when it will just be normal again. I have had anxiety problems in the past and am not good socially. I do think I have a sleep problem as I only get about 7 hours a night, when I try to go to bed early, all I can do Is lie there and think about stuff for an hour or so.. Also, all these symptoms started the first time I got high. I think I had a panic attack and felt very faint the whole time and ever since I feel the same. I get ba headaches and feel "high" like things are different and sometimes question myself what I just did a second ago and if I actually did it..
I do not know what's wrong or how to deal with it..
Yeah I get this cruddy feeling a lot...Uh... Yeah...
It just seems that doing certain things helps me get out of this numbness:
1.EXTREME happiness (The one that makes you feel like dancing)
2. Deep meditation
3. Focus (doesn't work often)
4. Looking at nostalgic objects
5. "Feeling Life"
6. Asking yourself if you are dreaming
7. NOT ignoring ignored feelings

I don't think this will help all cases but it helps me somewhat... Hope I helped a little!
Absolutely! I even remember having it as a small child. I have been treated for the last eleven years for depression and it helps, but is often still there. Turns out I have something called Schizo-affective disorder and it's a form of Schizophrenia with a mood disorder attached. The worst of my de-personalisaztion was right before I was put on Seroquel. Seroquel has been a miracle drug for me in that sense. It's possible you don't just have depersonalization.
My bipolar type 2 first became very bad in 2002. It is now 2012, and after essentially 10 years, I feel like I am now out of a 10 year coma. I don't remember much before that and after that, I just remember some good childhood times (before 12), and the time just before my bipolar became bad, ie. 2000-2002. It is like I have a new life now, and there is not a minute to waste not enoying either getting out there or chilling by myself. As I am typing this I am now 33. It feels like yesterday I was 23. Not nostalgia as such, almost like literally I have woken up today and yesterday was 2002. I can trace things I've done, even part-time jobs and so on, but there's nothing I want to remember between 2002 and 2012, except for the good stuff that has always been there, like love, real friends, and the Divine.
Hi Fayona,
I read your post on ''Feeling-like-I-am-in-a-dream-like-i-am-asleep''
This is exactly what I have been feeling. It has affected my career decisions and my personal relationships.
Sometimes when I feel fine, I started to recollect all things where I have committed mistakes (personal or professional) which is followed by surge of anger and I drop back in same state.
Or in case when I need to make choice between 2 matters which I make not able to do so, I again drop in same state.
I feel like its my inability or excessive  expectation or disbelief from myself that I fall in this state.
Do you do follow any lifestyle/exercise to come out this or have you consulted anybody. Any advice will be highly appreciated.
i am 13 i dont know what it is i feel like i dont know who i am i feel like im not real i cant live this way i feel like im someone else i need help im scared
I know exactly how you feel. I feel like I am in a constant dream 24/7 perhaps I slipped into a coma years ago and never woke up, so I looked for solutions, and never found anything. then...I tried free running. the speed the high speed and close contact close line between death and life is euphoric, but when I run I, FEEL  free my body is tired, my bones ache, and my mind is pulsing with blood. but my spirit is free perhaps you need a high intensity outlet like this. It may help. I know it helped me. the idea of being in a dream is awful and the idea that i have no control over my physical body is horrific,  amazing when I fly through the air I am part of the wind the worlds speed can almost be felt. I was worried at one point because I felt like I was being molested every now and then I felt violated with  cause, and pain is the only thing that mad me feel real, and crying was my laughter. but just know this what ever is the true reality, you are not alone, and even if this is a dream then im gonna keep doing what I do best. keep fighting for what I love no matter what.
there is hope for the foggy feeling im experiencing it too but im trusting in the LORD that i am healed by the blood of Jesus only sometimes though i feel like this fogg wants to take me in i tried i pray and i try not to panic God is helping me one day this will be a testimoney mine is not bad as yours at least this gives me great hope im praying for you.
Re: Horrible Sinus Pressure, Dizziness, Pain and Headache

I decided to join this forum to share my horrible nightmare the past 3 months which I considered life-changing and humbling experience as well. I am a 34-year old Asian woman, a little overweight at 130 pounds, height of  5’ft 1 and generally a healthy individual with normal metabolic parameters ( in terms of sugar levels, cholesterol, fatty liver, etc.) and blood pressure. I had a surgery three years ago for a benign cyst in my right breast, but nothing serious after that.

Now let me share my story. It all started the first week of May, 2012 when I started getting dizzy spells constantly. It’s  a kind of dizziness that is lightheaded without spinning sensation. And it seems like I don’t get the actual perception of reality. It’s  like I am in a dream and there is a soft fog right beneath my eyes that cause me to unable to perceive things clearly like floating and being drunk though my vision is clear, hearing is audible and movement came normal. I couldn’t think of any other way to describe the feeling because it’s really extraordinary and weird but I hope I make sense.

Just when I thought that there’s nothing serious to proceed, then series of unfortunate events happened. In the next two weeks my dizzy spells was aggravated by tension headache  and pressure at the back of my head. What’s even scary was the feeling I get every time I tilt my head up such that my skull is being ripped into half followed by the nerves of my head being stretched towards my chest whenever I put my head down. By this time the feeling is extremely terrifying and I thought that I was dying and up to something really horrible.

What I went to to get a diagnosis:
WOW,..same thing is happening to me. Its been going on now from like 3 years,.. its not all the time but most of the time i feel werid, as if everythings fiction, & im not in tune with my thoughts or body, like sometimes i look at my boyfriend & i dont feel like i know him,... same thing for other close friends,.  i also suffer really really really bad PANIC attacks ,.. im a very out there , scared less person love going out drinking, having fun ,..all that stuff, i live in Miami & im 20 years old for GOD's sake. i did do alittle research on this & it says people that usually go through it have a  trauma, such as abuse,war,accidents.. but truth is i havent been through anything like that,.. i dont have a reason to feel like this i just do, so most of the time i cry ALOT cause i just feel like im truly going INSANEEE..its limiting me from the life i had & want to have. My life is getting smaller & smaller cause of all these symtons ,... what did you do to help get rid of this?
Hey i see you posted this a while ago, was just wondering if the medication helped? I have had on and off feelings of being in a dream and not beign able to distinguish between reality and dreams. Im considering going to a doctor. or maybe just waiting for it to go away. but im feeling so detatched from my feelings. i have no feelings of excitment, love, joy, or even  sadness. i feel so detached from myself and my emotions its making me feel like im going insane.
Sounds like 'depersonalization' which is a symptom of severe anxiety and panic. I have had this many times and it scares the crap out of me. If you don't already see a psychiatrist, you should find one and see if anxiety medications like klonopin or Xanax work for you. They're mild tranquilizers or sedatives which help the body calm down. Good luck to you, you're NOT crazy!
Some believe that the dream state is just another dimension or is an actual reality and that we are in the dream state as we speak!
I totally understand its not easy. ..I have a fiance who asks what I'm doing every time I stand up and if I'm out of tha room longer than a couple of minutes, he wants to know what I'm doing. I HAVE READ EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HAND ON!!! He constantly asks, "Is this real? Or Am i okay ?" He has a desolate look in his eyes and i feel so bad because i can't help him. I urged him to get help and they told him the same thing I read about...disassociative disorder ...They put hI'm on some meds and it has been helping, until he ran out of meds for a day or two...i plan to help him not run out because i feel so helpless when he starts to go through this...please, if u are suffering , please get help, it can be totally confidential .

annmarie
hey, i feel the same way, almost exactly id say. i think it might be mary jane as well, i was about to quite, but you said that doesn't work, but i guess ill quit anyway. What i feel makes it better, is at night try to use your imagination as much, like in vision **** in your head, it sounds weird, i know but it helps for some reason, its like dreaming with your eyes shut, but not asleep, you know? i heard citric fruits help with getting **** out of your system, so what ever is causing this might get flushed out. herbal tea as well, i feel it just calms you down . k, hope this helps, if you have any advice to give to me as well that'd be awesome.
i have this exact feeling finally found someone like this but my dream state is due to heavy use of cannabis i smoked every day from when i was 11 till i was 14 im 15 now and nothing seems real at all its like im in a dream world and every one else is just a blur in my head it almost feels like im in a film i was in a mental heath hospital for 2 weeks to get away from weed they told me it would be fine but its been a year and nothing has changed my memory is really really bad as well i cant remember what i did in a day i get big hits of depression because of this i just want to have a normal life with a normal mind !!!!!!!  
i always get the feeling that i am dreaming to but it trigers randomly and its very scary i also get headachs in the back of my head alot and i feel like my body is soposed to be moving i feel like one day im going to be awoking in a hospital i am 11 years old i have smoked weed before  wich triggered a panic attack PLEASE HELP.!!!!! AND TELL ME WATS WRONG PLEASE .......  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :(
I feel this way.. But it's gone so far that Im harming myself to see if I'll bleed or if I'll wake up.. I want to get out of it so bad I want to kill myself just to wake up..
Hi im glad i read your post the same thing happened to me a month ago i had a massive panic attack had to go to hospital thought i was going to die at the time most horrible feelings you feel at the time.Now i am on medication there called AXIT and DELARIN they are for panic attacks and depression but still feel down dream like state light headed tired unbalanced at times etc. Any other medication out there that would be better for me i would love to try another one these ones dont seen to be working

hey me too... I will be sober 3 months in a couple of days now from smoking, after constant smoking for a year dealing with issues the wrong way.. but im so scared cause a few days ago I had a dream where i woke up midway and i had to seriously convince myself what was real and what wasn't for a while and my heart was racing. that morning i had a thought that maybe this isn't real or like im still dreaming, or like the matrix, and the thought comes and goes, but im petrified of this thinking and if im going crazy. maybe not the right community for all of this but if anyone has any experience with this.. im all ears..
I am 15 years old , I have every symptom you just explained. I feel as if I'm unsure that this is real life. Sounds wierd but as if I lived before. Its been two months & I'm just so scared I dont know what to do anymore. I have been to the doctors but of course they just keep saying its anxiety but its so much more than that. I really hope you get better & you get your life back.
I have felt the exact same way since I had a panic attack while driving almost a year ago . Saw 3 different doctors and they no one could give me an answer. Eventually they put me on  anti anxiety and ADD medication ( dextro amphetamine ). I still haven't woke up either . I'm going to be pissed if this is like the Matrix or something and we're the normal ones .. Lol
Omg! Ive been feeln like this for 13 years! I swear i just woke up one day and nothn looked the same..i felt like the room was..not spinning ..but in motion..i went to so many doctors unable to explain how i felt..i started to hold things n and frlt ashames when a doc laughed at me and said u need a pchychiatrist...i knew nothn about a pcychor coinseling anxiety
.i felt sopo alone i missed a month of work cuz i felt like i was out of my body and kinda floaty..like my mind was lucid and not stable..back then there wasnt anything on tje internet that cud help me describe the feeling..i prayes that "this thing over me" would jus go away..thats how i feel ..likea shadow or somerhins hangin over me everyday..if im lookn at the sky it feels like ..idk..like theres motion between the space so jard tonexplain..ive been dealing with thia for 13 yeqts now..no mri or all the tests ive had show anything..thia jas def ruined my life. The quality of life is horrible..becus of this everyday for me is jus survival..tryim not to breakdown..tryin 10 times harder to focus on things. The docs hav no idea what thia is jua saynum depressed HELL I WASNT BEFORE THIS HAPPENED..of courae  depressed now..depression didnt cause this..this caused depression..some days are worse than othrs some days i feel paralzed n jus cnt get outta bed..iys so hard to relax..i hope one day sombdy figurea this out..um tired of suffering :-(
Im hearing the common thing..fog, veil over ur eyes, things not lookn the same, dream like state floaty ALL the things i feel everyday!! Some of u are like me the doc medicates no help then we get depressed cuz nothings working and turn to medicating ourselves with drugs illegal etc. The doctors look at us and think oh the drugs or the depression caused this BUT SOMEHOW WE NEED TO MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND "THIS" CAUSED THE DEPRESSION AND DRIUGS NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!! PLEASE HAS ANYBODY FOUND SOMETHING TO HELP OR THINK U MAY BE GETTN TO THE BOTTOM OF THESE WEIRD FEELINGS PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IVE SPENT WHAT SUPPOSED TO BE THE. BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE IN A HAZY FOG ITS LIMITED ME AND DISABLES ME FROM DOING ALL THE THINGS IVE WANTED TO IN LIFE I DNT WANNA FEEL LIKE THIS FOR TJE NEXT 13 YEARS ITS TAKEN TOO MUCH OF MY LIFE ALREADY!! PPL GET AGRESSIVE WITH UR DOCTORS NOT ONLY MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND BUT MAKE THEM DO SOMETHINFG!!! THIS WILL NOT GO AWAY IYS BEEN 13 YRS FOR ME FEELN LIKE THIS WE HAVE TO FIGHT FOR NOT JUS OURSELVES BUT WHAT IF OUR KIDS HAVE TO GROW UP WITH THIS THING??
I don't know if your still checking this blog but yes i deal with this 24/7 for 13 years now, i'm sooo tired of it. it's ruined my life. Today is the first i've heard of this Depersonalization Disorder, so i'm going to check it out. I really hope you've found how to deal with this and maybe can help me??

I feel the same way im 15 and ive had 5 panic attacks and the recent one was like a few weeks ago and I keep thinking to my self that im in a coma and everything is a dream. ive been hospital about it and they have just classed it under a symptom of panic attacks but everyone else that suffers from panic attacks say they have never heard about that symptom.. I even feel like I have repeated life again.. it is VERY scary! and I hope their is a chance of getting rid of this feeling!
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
1 hr ago
smilermilo joined this community
Welcome them!
Batteryshop01 commented on photo