Anxiety Community
I took 1 lexapro and it has ruined my life..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I was suffering from alot of stress and then I started to get depressed so, I went to the doctor 9 years ago and he prescribed lexapro and vioxx due to a knot that had come up on my neck ' thinking back on that I believe it was caused from all the tension headaches I was having" anyway that night as usual I put my daughter to bed took the meds. then I went to bed. I woke up about 2 hours later, I jumped strait out of my bed with my mind feeling as if it was a million miles away and racing thoughts and very I was confused, but yet I could feel a cold sensation like ice being run through my viens, I ran into the living room screaming and crying to where my husband was. I remember not being able to stand still I had to be moving constanly in a fast pace my heart was racing I put my hands on my chest it felt like my heart was actually coming out of my chest I felt like I was holding it in with pressure from my hands. Then next I started burning intead of being cold I looked for holes in my body because  It hurt so bad. My husband called my mom and she came and seen me and said it was probably an allergic reaction. I was begging to go to the hospital, but instead she called the doctor at the office she worked at. He told her to give me benadryl. My husband left to go get some during that time I started shaking uncontrolable I was going from being ice cold to burning feelings going through my body like waves.I started getting bad cramps so I ran to the bathroom and had direahha and throwing up at the same time.I just knew I was dying I remember my husband giving me benadryl thinking it would stop everything, but it did hardly nothing! It use to knock me out, but nothing would stop this crazy feelings and the pain I was having. My mom called the doctor back and he said it should wear off by morning...Well it didn't I was took to the hopital 24 hours later still with all these symptoms and was told it was serotion syndrom (syndrome) and sent  home..I lost all kinds of weight I went for almost 2 weeks without eating and barely drinking and walking constantly day and night I was wired up. I was scared to be left alone I didn't shower for 3 days I was told. I didn't realize that at the time that's how messed up I was.I finally went back to the er they ask if I was on crack and I have never had any kind of drugs in my life! They said it was aniexty and sent me home and told me to act normal it was the only way I would get over it. I started to clear up enough to find a new doctor he gave me xanax it is the only thing that helps with the symptoms. I was taking 6 a day and still needed more just so I could sit down. There is so much more I could go on and on, but I just want to know if anyone knows what could be going on I do get better sometimes,but this has never went completly away and I am going on 9 years of this:( I pray everyday for an answer for the right help to come along I just want to be a normal mother and wife again I hate to suffer ,but mostly it kills me to know what my daughter has seen and been through.
Tags: Lexapro

It's entirely possible that NINE YEARS ago you DID have an allergic reaction to the ONE Lexapro tablet you took, but I sincerely doubt that you are still being affected by that.
I've also never heard of an allergic reaction causing the severe and traumatic types of symptoms you describe.
I urge you to see your doctor immediately for a very thorough physical and a referral to a psychiatrist to help you deal with the resulting emotional issues you have to this day.
I wish you the best of luck
Peace
Greenlydia
I never had any type of problem this severe until I took the lexapro, and I do agree that an allergic reaction should not last that long that's why I can't figure it out..There is NO DOUBT THAT THIS STILL FLARES UP FROM TIME TO TIME BELIEVE ME!! I wouldn't say that I experience this if it wasn't true I would love for it to just go away and forget all about it..  I do get better, but at times, but at times it still happens. I have been to doctors and I do have a psychiatrist I have to keep I go every 3 to 6 months to get refills and and follow ups they prescribe me anti- depressants,and xanax " which I only take xanax if I have to" I am terrified of almost any medication now. but after so long it's like my system gets immune to them and I have to start all over. Thank you very much  for taking the time to read my story .
Vioxx was recalled several years ago due to sudden deaths from taking it.  Your reaction may have been from the combination of the two drugs.
I know vioxx was recalled,but all I could find about it was like heart attacks and strokes. I have had to have an ablation done to lower my heart rate 2 years after this happen, but my heart rate runs a little high still. I have been to many doctors I have never got answers for what happen just medicine for depression and aniexty. I read a little about you sounds like you have been through alot. I am sorry for your pain because I couldn't imagine being in your shoes. I thought if I posted something on here about what happen to me that I can get some answers hopefully, and maybe write to someone on here just to help me get through some bad things because I really have no one that understands. I have severe aniexty and depreesion because I have been through some horrbile things myself. I just wished I knew what happen I have seen 2 other people that has similiar symptoms on here with lexapro so, I know now at least I am not alone.However the two meds could have made me have 2 reactions.I just wonder what it has messed up in my body and if there is anything to correct it. I am so desperate for an answer.
Have you discussed any different anxiety drugs with your doctor.  Although benzos are not designed to be taken "long term" some are better than others at actually preventing these panic/anxiety attacks.(particularly Klonopin)  Couldn't hurt to ask your Doc.  Also some people benefit from Buspar which is not a benzo.  Good luck.  I know it's hard to relax when you never know when the hammer will drop!
Yes,I have and I have tried klonopin, but it doesn't work and I get real angry and agaitated with it. I am not crazy about xanax at all they can be addtictive I have already found that out. I realized I was addicited to them  after all those symptoms happen to me when I started to calm down . I had to make the decsion to come off them slowly which wasn't easy I just knew taking them wasn't for me if I could help it. Now I have them only if I need them and I have gone months without them I just have to try and keep my head level so I know when I actually need them or if it's my systems craving them. I am now on welbutrin xl 300mg. I started them about a month ago I went off my meds for 8 months because I though I was better...I go back in about a week to my doc. I am not sure what is going to happen. I think my system may be still adjusting, but my head tingles alot, the good part is I feel a little better with my depression. I am not familiar with buspar, but my mom was just put on it.I just hate changing meds. because, I am terrified of what will happen. I get scared just thinking about it.
Anything can happen in life.  It's a crap shoot.  That's especially true with medication, which is relatively new to the human body.  Because there's no money in dealing with the minority who have really awful reactions to meds, there's just not a lot of studies on it -- the money is in developing new meds and selling the ones that are out there.  I'm kinda in the camp of the person who suggested it was the vioxx, but who knows?  One Lexapro couldn't give you serotonin syndrome unless you were on something else that also produced it, particularly since it doesn't even reach critical mass of working until 4-6 weeks of use, but for you, again, who knows?  I feel for you, because I had a terrible reaction to stopping Paxil, and, like you, I've never recovered from it, and can't find anyone who knows what to do about it either, but I was on it for several years and this does happen to some people.  One pill?  That's odd, but you know better than we do.
You can message me if you want to. I am suffering almost 2 years later from effects of effexor. Its been hell.
I had the exact same reaction to taking one Lexapro several years ago!  It was the scariest time of my life.  That was the only thing I had taken.  I wasn't on any other meds.  I was seriously going out of my mind!  My skin was crawling.  It was pure hell....  It eventually wore off days later, I guess.  But this is why I do not like ANY type of anti-depressants.  A xanax here and there is just fine for the anxiety, and I don't really like them either.  The best approach is CBT or other forms of therapy.  Reading, talking to friends and family, etc...
I can't believe I read your post about this, because I never thought anymore about it years later.  I just thought it was my body freaking out, but always thought something strange as to why the lexapro and no other anti-depressants doing that.   I had tried several other ones prior to the Lexapro, but it was a lengthy time before.  Anyhow, we know our bodies better than anyone else, so I am hoping you find the thing(s) that help you the best!  
Take Care!
Thanks for letting me know that you went through the same things. Alot of people think it's impossible, but when you are the one suffering you know it is real. I am glad your symptoms went away I was just not that fortunate. I have to take something several times I have tried to stop because I thought it was finaly all over with but..I always end back up on something because of it. I am not a fan of xanax but it is the only thing that I have found that will relax me.I still pray that one day I will not have to take anything. I have been through all types of therapy,but talking doesn't make my body feel better. I do need to talk sometimes about how I am feeling, but it seems pointless because they haven't been through it so they don't understand. This is the first time I have ever tried to find someone else who went through this.I guess I am just reaching out. My parents aren't healthy so I try not to mention my problems to worry them. I can talk to my husband but again he can just listen because he really don't know what to say. Thanks again for sharing what happen to you. Take care
This thread is freaking me out.  My new psychiatrist has me on valium, and the goal is to put me on Lexapro or something like it, down the road.  I am sorry for your troubles, KLG - I can't offer any guess as to what caused your extreme reaction to the Lexapro or a combo of that and Vioxx or whatever.  I only know that as someone new to the whole meds experience, the idea that one could even have such a reaction scares the s_ _t out of me and makes me less inclined to try it.  I'm now on diazepam (valium), and am up to half a 2 mg pill daily - not a lot, buy I'm sensitive to all meds so it took a bit of getting used to.  I am glad you shared your experience w/ us, and look forward to learning from others on this forum, as well, about how lexapro - and valium, for that matter, have affected them.  Hope things go better for you soon.  
If any way possible avoid all anti-depressents, just take the valium as needed and be careful because they can become additive. I am also sensitive to all meds. as well I always just take half of a dose of something like 1 tylenol will knock me out for a few hours.You do have to remember throughout your treatment that not everyone reacts the same. I wish you the best of luck.

Yes !!!, This exact same thing happened to me 4 and a half years ago and I still suffer horribly at times. I took ONE 10mg OF LEXAPRO and went to sleep. When I awoke 8 hours later I was in hell. My entire body felt like it was on fire from the inside, couldn't sit still (akathisia) had horrible panic and my ears were ringing very loud. Waves of nervous energy were running through my veins driving me crazy. I went running down the street in my underwear after sprinting around my house. I couldn't remain still. It hurt like a severe nerve pain all over as if I was dying from some type of poisoning or overdose. I had never felt anything like this or experienced anything like this before and I didn't take anything but the Lexapro.

Everything you described, I had...and then a lot more. It wrecked my life. I cannot begin to describe all of the adverse reactions which occured after I took the Lexapro nor the diminished quality of my life since I made that mistake.

Xanax is the only saving grace for me, I take 1mg an hour before bed and only more if I have a terrible panic attack (I did not suffer from panic attacks before the Lexapro incident). It is the only thing that has helped and I am sensitive to most other meds. I also take ibuprofen for pain and one baby aspirin a day.

I have been contacted (and still have their e-maill addy's) by several people who needed help after the (one pill Lexapro) problem. This is a rare but very real condition that is apparently a type of serotonin syndrome. I have not yet been able to return to my field repairing machinery and robotics.

4 and a half years later I still struggle, and although I did improve after the first 2 years, I do not believe I will ever fully recover. This damage feels permanent. I have seen a counselor for about a year and a half and a psychiatrist. Their opinion is that I do not have an underlying mental condition and that this issue is directly related to neural damage caused by the Lexapro. However, since the traumatic experience coupled with this disabling condition, I have developed an anxiety disorder and PTSD.

I will attempt to paste a link of an earlier post I had made in 2007 here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/LEXAPRO/show/358816
Also, I tried to switch to Klonopin at the request of my doctor and had awful reaction to it for some reason. I had a weird episode so I went back to the xanax. For me, xanax has been a good long term solution despite what I have read. I manage the amount taken (which is very low) and I never have any problem with dependency or addiction. This is just an exercise of willpower. I have read a study that states 2/3rds of people who have taken xanax for long term treatment do not increase their levels and do not develop any substance abuse issues. So it appears that some people have issues with it but not the majority. For me, it is not a problem and has been a Godsend.
Will power is the key, you are exactly right because xanax is the ONLY thing I have found that helps. Do you go by AJC on here to? Because that is the profile I read on here that give the almost exact same symptoms I had..
Ok I had a moment there, I didn't click the link before I had ask you about AJC. So, know  I was just a little confused for a second. lol

Yes, that was my old alias and had a problem, couldn't get back into the old account, created a new one. Sorry for the confusion.

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors have an opposite effect on nerve cells than xanax does. Google GABA for more ino on nerve cell receptors. I think this is why xanax works so well after nerve cells are damaged by SSRI's.

My ears are actually ringing right now....... If I could only go back and not take that 0ne pill, life would be so different.
I am feeling pretty bad right now myself my head is tingling like I am wearing a hat or something. I will google that tomorrow I just feel so sick to my stomach and very emotional right now.  This is awful...I am gonna try to relax to see if that helps I have had a very hard day.  don't really understand all this stuff it's way over my head..I don't think I ever had the ringing in my ears,but for a few weeks I didn't know much of anything so who knows. I know people say one pill wouldn't do this but if you think about it alot of people have died by just taking one pill. It don't make sense does it? I wish I would have never took lexapro either! Are you disabled now from this? I know there is times I am not even able to get out of my house. I am going to try to get a job to keep my mind busy to see if it helps. I just don't know where to start. I went to school for cosmetolgy, but that was years ago and I would have to go through the whole process again to be able to start over. I love being mom though so I may look for something part time that way I can still go to all my daughters cheer practices and do the mom and daughter things. Plus if I can't do it I can quit. I will just have to try it I guess!
lexapro saved my life... period.
I am glad it saved your life, but it ruined mine.period.... That goes to show you everyones body reacts different.Thanks for information it really helped me:)

Yes, I am disabled. I was forced to quit working my full time job after taking the pill. I then returned to part time work, very slowly (after 4 months), and after much difficulty I lost my job and have been out of work for almost 9 months. I would love to try to work but I couldn't do it and the result would be my termination.

I also get the pressure in the head... it is extremely weird and uncomfortable.
That is awful I feel like I have suffered, but reading about you mine could have been alot worse. I am still feeling uncomfortable today I am still tingling in my head for two days strait now.I know this sounds strange, but you seem to be able to express yourself more than I can with communication. I feel like it's a task to type on here I have to really focus and think awhile before I type then reread it. Most of the time after I posted my comments I see all the mistakes I have made. I worry about every little thing . I can't stand feeling this way have you ever experienced this? Before you took lexapro did you have any health problems at all?  I can't imagine the depression this must be causing you or the anger you must have built up. How have you learned to deal with this?
I was given a months worht of lexapro samples and I did not feel any different on them except although being told they can keep you awake at night (which happens anyway) I slept great. I had problems with my insurance so I was unable to get refills through regular pharmacy until now so I just di.d not bother   Just yesterday I started treatment for Hep c Pregasys interferon and Ribapac ribiviarin..Because of the side effects I am encouraged to start the Lexapro again. Even though nothing bad happened when I took the samples  after reading this thread and what happened to you and a few others I am not so sure I should take them especially now that I started the hep c treatment. .  Is there another antidepressant I can ask my Dr. for? I have 3 kids and I really need to keep the side effects that affect my mood away the best I can. Any suggestions you may have will be appreciated.  Take care
DaBronxMom
I ha
There is plenty of other antidepressents out there I am just not crazy about taking any of them if any way possible try to avoid them. If you do have to take them don't freak out because, everyone is not the same and you may be fine. I know don't wont to discourage anyone from getting medical help if they need it. I just posted this on here to see if others went through the same thing and make people be aware of what they can do to some people. Doctors do not believe this can happen, but it is real and it is awful. I have 1 daughter, she was 5 years old when this happen to me. so I know how you feel about your kids. I get down alot because, I know she has seen me go through some bad reactions with this, I think that is the worst part of it all it breaks my heart. Just talk to your doctor and do research on what you take. Good Luck
if u doubt that the feeling is still being affected by lexapro after she consumed 1 pill of lexpro after 9 years, Why don't you try one lexapro and see if she is telling the truth or you are just making your own assumption?
What makes u hv the right to tell the exact feelings that the patient is going through?
This is a forum for giving opinions, offering suggestions, and support. That is what I did. It is entirely up to the OP to accept, ponder or reject those opinions.
I suggested seeing her doctor to explore the possibility that that one pill, taken 9 years previously, could still be the cause of her symptoms. I did state that I doubted that was the case, but that wa only MY OPINION. I did not state that it was impossible or that she was crazy to think that may be the reason. The suggestion to see a psychiatrist was not about getting her to accept the "fact" that the Lexapro could not cause this situation, (which I NEVER said) but that she had been suffering with these symptoms for 9 years and the p-doc could help her cope in conjunction with working with her GP.
BTW, I took Lexapro for 2 years, it worked very well for me and I have no lasting effects from it.
I'm sorry that my response apparently pissed you off so badly. That is also just my opinion.
Peace
Greenlydia
I had a very similar reaction after taking one Celexa. It was the longest and most terrifying three days of my life. No one could do anything for me not even doctors. Unless a person has dealt with anxiety they have no idea how it can torture you day in and out. I'm on 25mg of Buspar daily and Ativan as needed. I've been struggling with horrible anxiety for six months now. Everytime I think I'm getting better I end up having an intense attack. I wish there was some "cure" for this condition and I could be normal again.
so.. hope u enjoy the medicine then.
Peace
I don't see where any tests have been done to rule out other causes for what you're enduring.  You need to have a complete neurological work-up along with blood work to make sure there isn't an underlying cause for your symptoms.  I too, find it difficult to understand how one pill can still be affecting you after this much time.  All of us on here are very much aware of how horrifying anxiety can be, but all other causes need to be ruled out as well. Nobody doubts what you're saying, we're all just trying to help you sort this all out.  There are possible other causes for what you're enduring, and these all need to be explored.  I hope you can find some answers and peace.  Best wishes.
HALI11, like lydia said, this is a discussion forum, and you will find MANY differing opinions here.  Lydia offered excellent suggestions and another opinion of possible ways to handle this.  She was not calling the OP a liar or making any accusations about her making anything up.  Your replies were disrespectful and uncalled for.

While some people have long term problems with medications like described here...for one, it is rare, and secondly, it is usually not after taking only one pill.  Either way, even if it IS the Lexapro that caused these issues, it is very difficult to be able to pinpoint a condition being a result of a med, especially a single dose a decade ago.

The most important thing for all of you is to get out there...have thorough medical work-ups and try to figure out what is going on, and more importantly, how it can be treated.  While I'm sure it is frustrating when you believe the med caused your problems...sometimes finding the CAUSE becomes less important than finding the CURE.

Best of luck to all, and please remember to respect all of your fellow posters, even if they have a view differing from your own.  That's what makes a site like this so helpful.  If we all agreed all the time...we'd never learn from one another!
Wow, After reading this thread I am now terrified of increasing my lexipro.
it seems that the medicine do not resolve the problems for the patient however it worsens the situation of the patient. I wonder if the doctors understand how the medicine works before they prescribe for the patient, or if they really know the patient really need the medicine. Isn't there's any other best solution for the anxiety besides prescribing the medicine which will ruin people's life and will not resolve the problem? I wonder how and why. I wonder if the patient will consume the medicine after the doctor have mentioned the side-effects of this medicine.
HALI11....you're making some very strong statements.  I understand that you had a negative experience with these meds, and I'm sorry for that, but you simply can't paint with such a broad brush.  Just as not every person has a good experience, not everyone goes through these kinds of things that you have.

As far as doctors go, it's always best to seek help from a psychiatrist when dealing with these kinds of meds.  While many PCPs are knowledgeable, the p-docs tend to be better aware of these meds and have more experience with Rx-ing them...they've seen more.  You have to remember that SO much about treating psychiatric disorders is based upon THEORY.  There still aren't solid answers as to what causes these kinds of disorders.  The same thing goes for the meds.  

With ANY kind of med, doctors have to base their knowledge not only on schooling, but also studies and their first hand experience.  It's not like a doctor chooses a med out of a hat.  The doctor takes a thorough medical history, including other meds a person is on or has tried.  The doctor performs a physical exam and rules out a medical cause.  When a doctor has gathered all of the proper info about a patient, a discussion can begin about med options based ono each INDIVIDUAL case.  Sure, not all docs are as "thorough" as others, but the basic process remains the same.

NO doctor will give any guarantees when it comes to a medication, ANY kind of medication.  Patients also need to be responsible and make informed decisions about starting a new med.  It simply isn't fair to put all of the burden on the doctor.  There are good docs, so-so docs, and bad ones, that's a fact of life.  But, no one should go into something like a new med blindly.  If a doctor doesn't educate the pt on risks and side effects, then it is that patient's job to ASK or research for themselves before making a decision.  If a doctor seems to be haphazardly Rx'ing meds, then the onus is on the patient to seek out a new doctor.  Even at that point, no one will know the outcome...not the doctor, not the patient, pharmacist, no one...until the patient tries the med and has their own experience.

Of course there are other ways to approach anxiety, and we discuss them here all the time.  Often times, different methods are successful for different people.  Some report great success with meds, others have noghtmarish experiences.  Some do great with just therapy...some decide that a natural supplement approach is for them.  All that really matters is that a person finds relief and a way that works for THEM in dealing with the anxiety.

As you can clearly see by the post before yours (tara's), making such strong statements being "anti" any form of treatment only does the readers a disservice as it scares an already anxious person into doubting THEIR choices, which is not fair.  Most certainly share your experiences, even if they are bad, but please be mindful about making statements indicating that a form of treatment is going to end up horribly for anyone who tries it...or by pointing the finger at doctors who for most of them, are only trying to help.  It's much more effective if you share what you have tried that DOES work for you....instead of hammering a method that didn't.  To indicate that a med is going to "ruin someone's life" is not only incorrect (as MANY have had great success with these meds), but also is fear mongering and will only make an anxious person that much more anxious.

ANYONE trying a new med needs to make that decision for themselves, with the doctor, after all the information is on the table and the person has weighed the pros and cons.  The patient needs to ask questions and keep in touch with their doctors.  It's hard, but it is best to try a new med without getting too much of a preconceived notion either way.
Look for some other type of medication such as herbal, traditional medicine or some natural material to solve your problem rather than taking drugs which will harm your body and mind in the long term. You knw our "friendly" doctor "will" admit their "mistake" for what they have done to their patient. You knw better.
hello..  I COMPLETLY believe that after 9 years you still have effects of lexipro...  I took 1   YES JUST 11111111 ONE PRISTIQ pill last july 2010  i still feel like crap EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE..  (TO BE HONEST, im a tad better) the doctors, my family EVERYBODY  says " its in my head"  bull sH&^I( it!!!!   it isnt in my head!!  the pill was poison..  I want you to know your not alone :(   I understand completely  , unfortunatley

I am so sorry that all of you have gone through this hell and still are. It makes my bought of anxiety and depression nothing compared to what all of you have been through. I too have a sensitive system to medications. I usually have some type of reaction to all meds. I took Lexapro for a couple of days and I felt awful. My doctor put me back on Wellbutrin. That's pretty much the only antidepressant my body can handle. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm on Lexapro and I'm fine. I didn't start by taking 10ml though, I started taking it slowly by taking a quarter then a half then a full.. I don't understand why your Dr. would of had you take it like that to start with. I think maybe the 10ml all at once could of been too much for you and maybe you're more sensitive to meds like you said. Everyone and everybody is different. I'm sorry that you all had this affect to this medication. But, it has worked for some of us and this is not an addictive medication unlike others out there. I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon.
I've been taking Lexapro for 3 years now. Before that, I went through about 3-4 other types of anti-depressent medications. Lexapro has, by far, worked the best for me without any real side affects. To those saying they're scared to take it, well, everyone is different. I feel sorry for those it has badly affected. On the other hand, I have a few friends who take the same medication and have the same good experiance as me. Talk to your doctor about it and start out slow.
I have recently found out that I cannot take any anti-depressents at all..The reason I have had so much trouble is because I can't take any SSRI at all they give me serotonin sydrome or do more harm than good to me..  In two years there will be new meds on the market to help people like me:) and to everyone who don't believe or "thinks they know it all just b/c this hasn't happen to them" Don't complain next time somehting goes wrong or happens to you!! It may not be fair to someone else if you share your own experience!! We are only suppose to be postive nothing negitive happens..LOL.. I am happy it has worked for some people I just didn't want anyone to feel alone if it has happen to them. There is good and bad in all.God bless everyone who has been through this.
Of course we want to hear everyone's experiences, but you have to understand that these kind of rare events don't come even close in number to the countless people who have had a postive experience, and when people are coming to this forum looking for help with medications and are afraid, the last they need is to read strong statements about medications being "evil" and people warning them never to touch a medication.  

Delivering such a strong message must be done responsibly and compassionately, b/c you just never know how many people you might scare away from THEIR answer to anxiety.

EVERY single person starting a new medication should allow themselves to have their own experiences and not be swayed by stories, good or bad.  A lot of people become too afraid to even try a medication after reading a thread like this.  Anxiety is bad enough without adding fuel to it.

I have total compassion for what you went through, and while I'm not convinced of a Serotonin Syndrome in each case, I'm well aware that a very small percentage of people can have horrible reactions to these medications.  I wouldn't wish what you went through on my worst enemy.  I also am living proof of the overwhelming success these kinds of meds can offer people.  We must be careful in how we deliver our message.  There are plenty of people on this forum who had bad experiences with medications, and they are great at sharing what alternative methods DID work for them and are careful not to be overly frightening in their descriptions.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can find a medication soon that will work for you!

Sorry I have been away for a while,  I have started to make videos about my experience and will be posting them on youtube. I recently suffered another stroke in April. That is my 3rd stroke since the Lexapro.

Check out my very boring and ill-prepared video, there will be 7 nmore sections...at least.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wdtony

if that link doesn't work just search youtube: SSRI brain damage #1

I will be posting more later this week.

There are a lot more horror stories online about these drugs than there were 5 years ago. I understand that there are many people who have written about the positivel effects of anti-depressants and I am not going to argue that some people have good experiences. The point I would like to make is that these "rare" adverse reactions are probably not as rare as we might believe.

These are very powerful drugs and even if they do help some people, no one (not even the people who make these drugs or study the brain) know how they work or what damage might be caused. We have been involuntarily injected into a socio-pharmaceutical experiment without having been given information about risks, consequences or warnings about what we are entering into.

Just ask ANY doctor what the appropriate level of serotonin would be in an average human's brain and you will realize very quickly that they do not know. Then keep asking questions, what are the fucntions of serotonin in the body?...can sensitive populations be damaged by too much of any neurotransmitter or inability to reuptake said neurotransmitter into the emitting neuron? .....what side effects would ensue if a person were to have damaged neurons due to a medically induced chemical imbalance in the brain?

I think I have made my point....Experimental and dangerous, and you will only be answered with "I don't know" or some explanation which will only be a guess or an outright lie.

send me an email or contact me on youtube, people that haven't committed suicide or been placed in psyche-wards due to these drugs are coming together to show the world that this is a very large problem.

***@****

And P.S. I think many drugs that help people are wonderful and I am so happy that we have chemicals that can relieve pain and help our lives, so I don't hate all drugs, my points are all based on the fact that we are not educated and even lied to by Big Pharma at the cost of our health. I actually have to take benzo's now (thank God for them) because of what the Lexapro did to me. And some people freak out on benzo's.... so I am very aware of the good and bad sides of drugs.
"Experimental" and something based on theory are two different things.  MUCH of the causes and treatments of mental illnesses is based on theory.  MOST good doctors would be able to tell a patient that if they asked about the levels os serotonin.  

There are risks to taking any medication.  A person must weigh the risks and benefits for themselves. Doctors cannot possibly know the outcome a med will have on each individual person.  There is always new information coming to light about meds, even ones that have been around for decades.

How does one know they have "brain damage"?  Is that diagnosed or assumed?  If it is diagnosed, how?  And, how can it be proven that it was related to the SSRI?

I'm sorry to hear about your stroke...what kind was it?  Hemorrhagic?  Thrombolytic? Anoxic?  

I'm asking these questions because they are relevant to the discussion and I think it is only fair that people reading see the arguments on both sides.

I had an ischaemic stroke (my second), it was a lacunar infarct in the right nucleus of the lentiform corona radiata. I had total left side paralysis.  the first stroke I had was in my cerebellum and the third is unknown because I cannot get to the hospital to pick up my abnormal CT scan results. No cause can be found for these strokes even after extensive tests with exception to the Lexapro and the remnants of its damage. The cause is inconclusive at this time.

Clinical diagnoses are given every day based upon observations alone, I was diagnosed quite early after taking the pill with serotonin syndrome and subsequent impairments due to an adverse reaction to Lexapro. My inability to work, drive, stand still, listen to music or function in life were indicators that I had suffered an acute adverse reaction...having no history of anything like this happen to me for the previous 34 years. I am lucky to be alive. You are not required to believe me and I am not concerned with your skepticism.

Google: PETER BREGGIN and look at his work exposing dangers of psychiatric medications. I have researched this phenomenon and learned much. If you were to do more reading it will be possible to become better educated on this subject.

As a society we are NOT PROPERLY EDUCATED about the dangers associated with taking these psychiatric drugs. That is the problem. The dangers are not always unknown, but withheld from us by the very pharmaceutical companies profiting from our ill-informed gamble. And it seems the FDA does very little to protect the consumer.

Also, research GWEN OLSEN on Youtube, she was recently a featured guest on the Dr. OZ show speaking against over-prescribing of psychiatric medication and their dangers. She was a drug rep for several years and now she devotes her life to exposing the lies she was coached and trained to persuade doctors and all the dirty tricks she used to push known dangerous and experimental psyche-meds. She also became a victim of these meds herself.

I took two tiny doses of Doxepin antidepressant one year ago and have been totally disabled ever since - I am in total hell!!

Anyone else like this please contact me - we need to support each other

***@****
rikr at comcast dot net

please contact me

To those who have suffered side effects from medication, please post on this site.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Side-Effects-From-Medications/show/1118?camp=msc
I find this hard to believe, I started Paxil when I was 14 I had full
Body burning sensations I was sick as for a while but than it started working and was great now at 28 I'm on lexapro and getting body burning again and weird stuff but if I take anti anxiety med it goes away, I think u just had a panic attack from starting the Meds as is common and starting side effects, seretonin syndrome only happens with large doses 10mg is a small dose and usually only happens when takeing more than one medication at a time, plus the seretonin takes time to build up in ur system at one dose it would b hardly anything, I'm interested in what u were prescribed it for to begin with? I'd say ur ongoing problems r probly generalized anxiety panic that u actually need treatment for, ur fear of medication is keeping u sick, these medications save peoples lives , ur liveing in hell because of anxiety but ur scared to get the help ur symptoms r all probly from low seretonin , the thing that might help u u fear because of the starting effects
What u describe happened sounds so much like a bad panic attack and as can happen after haveing  ur first bad panic attack
The fear of it keeps them comeing u need help for panic and anxiety,
I went threw the same symptoms at age 14 constant panic attacks and anxiety day in and day out exactly as u explain, u need a good phycologist to diagnose u and u need to try anti depressant again and give it time, only thing that helps being a benzo shows it's anxiety
It's knowing fact that antidepressants increase anxiety at the beginning befor they kick in , stop scareing people ,
Just FYI...this thread is several years old, and most of  the original participants are no longer active on the site.

It's easy to pull up an older thread without realizing it.  One way you can see, at a glance, if the thread is older than 6 months, is the presence of the hourglass symbol next to the date.

Thanks for your contribution!

The thread may be old but many people are still experiencing these problems from SSRI's, and should know they are not alone.

I still have hellish symptoms and although I get by, I still stand by my statement that Lexapro ruined my life.

The more research I do on SSRI's, the more I realize that these drugs are too experimental and dangerous to prescribe to anyone.

check out paxilprogress website if you don't believe it. These drugs are poison.
That is your opinion. And hopefully your opinion won't scare anybody and make them stop taking their SSRI (if working). Mine has helped me so much it's amazing. Not a poision at all. I'm sorry about your expierence. And to all the others who had bad ones.
Old thread...new experience....I was put on 5mg of Lexapro a couple of weeks ago. Did alright after the first 6 days. Then I was instructed to up the dose to 10 mg. About 6 to 7 hours later, I began having burning pin-prick pains in my finger tips and a general numbness in both hands. No, I am not a diabetic...just had bloodwork done for a pre-op (hernia laparascopy). I dealt with this excruciating condition for 4 days accompanied by total manic depressive episodes. Finally, I had enough and halved the dose. As soon as I did that, the pain in the hands subsided. The anxiety remained, but at least I wasn't feeling like my fingertips were thrust into a fire-ant pile. And no, I never had this sensation prior to trying this medication. Called the doctor the following Monday and he said to stop taking it. He is aware of this potential side-effect and said that I probably should stay away from the SSRI class of drugs. Been off of it for 3 days and the tingling has persisted, but to a much lesser degree. I hope the condition subsides completely, although I suspect, based on Lex's half-life, I'll be dealing with this for some time to come. Had a mild flu-like withdrawal symptom the first day of discontinuation. That cleared up quickly. Reality is that Lex works for a majority of people. I'm one of the unlucky ones who had a bad experience. Currently on low-dose clonapin to deal with the aftermath. Conclusion: If I make it out of this without any peripheral nerve damage, I'll take the depression over trying another pill. For me, it just wasn't worth it.
It's odd...the symptoms that KLG79  had after taking the medications, I had before I started on Lexapro. In my case the Lexapro took care of alot of those symptoms. My actual problem turned out to be Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but hypothyroidism can cause low seratonin, so I guess that's why the Lexapro somewhat helped for a brief period. I did have other horrible symptoms when I first started it though. My pupils would dialate, I felt like I was going crazy, i was skaky, etc.  These are considered seratonin sydrome symptoms, but in actuality it was just that my body was not used to it. It was a shock to my system. So, to lessen the symptoms, I started with 1/4 of a pill...yup 1/4...then worked my way up to a whole pill. I had no side effects taking it this way. I  did the same thing coming off it..and again...no side effects. Doctors really should tell their patients this, especially those who become addicted and are trying to wean off. And  when it comes to taking meds it seems size really does matter. Smaller people tend to do better with lower dosages.
There are some advanced tests  out there that can check some neurotrasnmitter levels. Unfortunately, these tests are over most Doctors heads, unless you go somewhere like Mayo.  I know a few Doctors that do these tests, but not many. I wish more doctors would do them  instead of just sticking people on whatever meds they want.

Most people overproduce or underproduce certain neurotransmittters for reasons ranging anywhere from; stress; endocrine problems; vitamin/mineral/amino deficiencies, toxicities, imbalances; GI problems; and illnesses of just about any kind. Basically, anything thats wrong with you is going to affect your neurotransmitters in some way. That being said, everyones chemistry is different...meds that have a positive affect on some may have a very negative affect on others.

mishymoshymarcy Im falling, i knew this tim... Comment
1 hr ago
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
joe6491 joined this community
Welcome them!