Anxiety Community
Is this Anxiety Related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Is this Anxiety Related?

Hello

I am 15, I have been picking my scalp since 7th grade , so I was 12. I know I am in the lesser number of years picking, but I have about 2 or 3 really bad spots on my head that I pick untill I bleed.

I have a feeling it's an anxiety thing for me, I am outrageously shy, and I think that could add to my anxiety.

When I touch my scalp, it really hurts, but I always go to pick it! If I have picked away all the scabs, I have this almost sticky liquid like substance that comes out of the scab, and then it starts to bleed.

I have told my mom that my head had hurt and that mabye we should go to the doctor, but she just said I think you are ok, so I am stuck in a rut, I would go to the doctor if I could, but I don't think my mom realizes whats going on. What should I do? Do yu have any advice for me and others with this scary habit?

THANKS!

Best wishes to all! :)  
omg     i thought i was the only one.   I  used to do that...the flakes were all over the floor.   I felt it was due to anxiety.     I still do it a little.   Try relaxation techniques...ie  deep breathing, visulization.

Give yourself a challenge.....say to yourself....today i wont do it......and when you suceed  it gets easier every day.    Your mind is very powerful-  you can do it.  Good luck !!!
Asking for help was the right thing to do.  Can you approach your Mom again and explain that you really feel you need help?  Not only would you greatly benefit from psychological help, but getting a doc to look at the wounds to ensure there is no infection is probably a good idea.  In the meantime, be sure to keep the wounds clean, and while the obvious solution would be to refrain from picking, if you continue to do it, wash your hands very thoroughly before and after to reduce the risk of infection.

If your Mom is not receptive, is there another adult you could ask for help?  Grandparent?  Dad?  Aunt or Uncle?  You're so young and have already been dealing with this for far too long, there IS help out there for you hon!

Please let us know the outcome!
Skin picking is a known problem to do with anxiety and sadness. I don't know much about it so I recommed researching it but it sounds to me like skin picking is your probolem, only on your scalp. Good luck with finding treatment. God bless x
Hello everyone! I want to thank all of those who commented, I realy appreciate it! I went to my doctor, and she did no tell my WHY I had the problem, but told me to buy some Special shampoo called "T/sal" and it is therapeutic shampoo. More specifically, Scalp buildup shampoo, and it clears and helps prevent flakes and scalp build-up.
it controls the symptoms of
*Dandruff
*Seborreic dermatitis
*psoriasis

and I have to use it 2 to 3 times a week, without any other shampoo/conditioner/ hair product.

I have not picked my scalp in about a whole month, so I'm getting better!

I hope this helps someone out there as well!

Thanks and have a great day! :)
specialmom commented on Separation.
1 hr ago
Cincy513 commented on Salivary gland disord...
melimeli commented on Melissa_71's status