Anxiety Community
Klonopin - How to stop

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Klonopin - How to stop

I've been on Klonopin for 10 weeks and am beginning to stop.  I take 0.5mg at night.  The doctor said to take 0.25mg for 1 week, then stop all together.  He said it's a low dose for short period of time.  I've read much info saying this might be to fast.  I was originally taking 1 mg at night for the first 5 weeks and went down to 0.5mg without issues.  I'm leaning towards going down to 0.375mg for 1 week then 0.25 mg for two weeks and then 0.125mg for two weeks and then every other day for a week and then every third day for a week.  Any guidance would be appreciated.
After many years on Klonopin for Restless Leg Syndrome, I was on a dosage of 2 mgs. at night.  My doctor told me to lower it to 1 3/4 a night for two weeks, the 1 1/2 for two weeks, then 1 for two weeks, then a half for two weeks.  Then if I felt I needed it to take 1/2 tablet every other day for two weeks, then just stop.

I did what she said and I did not have one withdrawal symptom.  Some on the Forum may not agree with that schedule, but it worked for me.  So I am just passing along personal experience.

Since you were not on it for a long period of time, you may be able to stop it, using your doctor's schedule.  It's always best to listen to your doctor and your own body.  Remember that I was on it several years, so my lowering dose would certainly be different from yours.  As I said, I am just quoting what worked for me.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes,
Heather
From the MS Forum
Truth in Olive Oil
7 hrs ago by gymdandee
The Other
10 hrs ago by The_Other
MH Community Mgr commented on stacey10's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms