Anxiety Community
Lexapro and TRYING to lose weight!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Lexapro and TRYING to lose weight!

Can anyone help me?  I am currently taking Lexapro (10 mg), and I am having difficulty losing weight.  I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now, and I am feeling SO much better!  However, I am watching what I am eating and exercising regularly, but I am seeing no change in my current weight.  I am very frustrated at this point!  I have read stories about anxiety medications and weight problems; I am not having excessive appetite issues which would possibly cause the weight gain.  Has anyone else had this problem where they are taking Lexapro, watching what they are eating, exercising regularly but seeing NO results???    I thinking about going off of Lexapro.  What should I do?

Charlotte
I take Lexapro and couldn't lose weight, but was assured that it wasn't the Lexapro, even though I watched what I ate and walked 6 miles a day.  I changed what I did eat, and lost 50 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years while still on Lexapro.  It may not be the amount you're eating but the foods you're eating. I went to healthier foods.  You're on a low dose, so I doubt that it's the Lexapro.  But we're all different and respond to these medications differently, you should ask your doctor if weight gain is an issue with this drug.  Plus you need to weigh the pros and cons of how you feel while taking the medication as opposed to how you feel when you don't.  Personally I would put up with a few extra pounds to have a decent life then to live in the hell anxiety can cause.  Talk to your doctor about this.  I know some medications can cause weight gain.  Take care...
Any ssri can cause weight gain, and Lexapro tends to be one that causes the least, so if it's working great, I definitely wouldn't switch.  It's hard to find one that works at all.  Personally, I gained a ton on Paxil and was extremely athletic and didn't change my diet at all.  This is one of the most common side effects of ssris.  I gained much less on Lexapro.  So I'd stay on it.  There's a book out there called the AntiDepressant Survival Guide, I think, that suggests dietary changes for those taking these meds.  I don't particularly think it's the healthiest diet I've ever seen, but it will give you a chance to see what mammo's talking about more clearly.  Good luck.
Thanks for your help and insight into what you have been through.  I will definitely rethink what I am eating.  I do not want to go off of this medication, that's for sure.  I feel so much better!  I appreciate your advice!
Thanks for taking the time to help me out on this one.  I think that I will check out the book you mentioned.  Perhaps I just need some direction on foods that will "coexist" with this medication change.  I will definitely stay on the medication; life will be very difficult for me if I don't!  Thanks again for your help!

Jade59 commented on msdelight's status
1 hr ago
Dizzytazz commented on Why You Might Have A ...
10356 commented on VICourageous's status