Anxiety Community
Lymph node pain, HIV lymphoma obsession

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Lymph node pain, HIV lymphoma obsession

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms as the result of anxiety.  The short-hand version is, I got pretty worked-up over a sexual encounter back in April 09 and began obsessively researching HIV symptoms.  I then got a pain in my groin which  lead me to research lymph nodes in relation to HIV.  I gradually began having lymph node pains and what feels like swelling in various parts of my body, armpits, behind the knees and then neck tightness (off and on) with upper back pain.  After a month or so, I finally got tested and it came back negative which seemed to lessen my symptoms for a while.  Since that time I've had various flare-ups which eventually got me researching lymphoma.  I got so concerned that I went to the doctor back in September and got a full blood work-up which came back normal.  Despite that, my mind keeps going back to lymphoma and now have developed pain in my chest on the right side that varies in intensity, along with this tightness in my throat and a feeling of something stuck in my throat.  I've also had acid reflux problems for sometime.  I went back to the doctor in December who couldn't feel any lymph nodes and thinks this is anxiety related.  Problem is, my symptoms are still present and I'm in a constant state of dread over this.  The other thing is I've lost weight and have been noticing my bones are more prominent, i.e. collar bone, shins, elbows etc. which causes some pain.  I have been trying to lose weight and don't know if this illness is real or if I'm manifesting all of these things. It seems like every time I read about a symptom I start to develop it in a day or two. I was just wondering if anyone else is going through something similar.  It seems like HIV, Lymphoma and MS are pretty popular focal points for health anxiety.  Thanks.
In my experience with health anxiety, this happens when we research, study, or are concerned about a particular ailment.  For example, my original bout with anxiety occured with concerns over heart health.  I swore up and down that something was wrong despite testing that proved otherwise.  I felt every little palpatation, pain, sensation in my chest area because I was so hyper aware of everything going on in my body.  I also believe that we tend to interpret everyday symptoms as somethng catastrophic when we search for symptoms.  For example, I have a pretty bad headache, and I am really tired right now.  If I looked it up on the internet I could possible find that I may have a terminal disease....is it possible?  Sure, anything is possible, but the most likely cause of this is the fact that I am functioning on about 2 hours of sleep last night, so I am probably just tired.  The internet can be a great source of information, but filitering it can be really hard especially if we are not the experts in what we are studying.  You did the right thing by getting checked out by your doctor, but once you do and he/she believes that the particular tests and precautions have been taken, it is time to confront the anxiety in my opinion.  Have you recieved any counseling on this?  Have you had problems with anxiety in the past?  Keep us posted!
Thanks for your response.  I have had a similar issue in the past that went on for months, convinced that I had MS or AIDS based primarily on nerve issues, so there is some precedent, but this lymph node thing seems more real to me and utterly baffling.  It seems like my mind has conjured up these symptoms, but they are definitely real now and I don't know how to get rid of them.  
Hi dude,

exact same boat! tested negative out to 13 weeks using the hiv duo.

I had mumps, which I thought was HIV. Did have a risk at the same time. The two jsut clashed-researched symptoms. Started poking lymphs. Which became sore etc. Think they have swollen abit too.  Dude we are fine- its great toknow its not just me. It turns my stomach some times when I feel them- but we know its not HIV dont we!

I have one confirmed lymph behind my ear- which apparently is normal post viral syndrom (syndrome) after mumps! love too hear back off you mate!
HIV phobias can spiral out of control quickly if you don't address the anxiety.  If you can't start accepting that you are negative...then get yourself into some therapy...they will help you learn how to cope with the anxiety, the obssessive thinking, etc.

Your "symptoms" could be absolutely anything...including anxiety.  The list of symptoms caused by anxiety is a mile long and growing every day.  Chanes are, you are not dealing with anything worrisome.  Keep working with your doc to rule out other causes...and start working with a therapist to get the HIV idea out of your head for good.

I bet once you start addressing the anxiety...most of your symptoms will simply fade away.
Thanks for your responses.  I've put HIV behind me, but the lymphoma thing is killing me.  I wish I never researched the symptoms.  My latest symptoms is feeling "boney", though I haven't lost too much weight, just seems I've lost some cushin in certain spots.  In any case, I might try for a chest x-ray or something to try to rule out any abnormalities.  In truth, I have no palpable lymph nodes, just pains.  Nice to know I'm not alone though.  It helps to read other responses similar to mine.  Will keep you posted.
Dude, aslong as they aren't over 1cm they are classed as norm. And not every palable lump is a lymph, remember!? You migth just be feeling scar tissue muscle fibre, fat its endless!"
Same situation here. Your story is exactly mine.  Im obsessed now.   Fortunately reading your story made me feel relief abit.  I did check back on the person i had been (WITH CONDOMS) and they r doing fine.  Just me!  So obsessed about get infected because the symtomps are hella real,  aint they? So freak!
espritbelle85 added the Allergy Tracker
16 mins ago
espritbelle85 added the Menstrual Cycle Tracker
22 mins ago
espritbelle85 added the Autoimmune Disorder Tracker
28 mins ago
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms