OCD and depersonalization
My name is brett and I am 38. I am currently sufering from depersonalization symptoms. I've already been diagnosed with OCD at age 18. Any how I am feeling or thinking that I am aware of myself or looking in at myself. The medication of Xanax, prozac, and risperdol have helped but I'm not yet my old self. I am currentlygoing to be moving out of my house by the first of the year and probably a divorce. The pressure of losing my kids, home etc. probably triggered my recent episode as I haven't had these experiences in eight years. THe Doc, also says to stay busy and don;t fight or figure out how to fix the DP symptoms. Am I on the right track? Any advice? P{lease. Thank you so much, Brett
I'm sorry to hear you are expriencing this. I went through a similar trauma a few years ago. I would feel like I was outside myself or that the person I once was had disappeared and I didn't recognize the person left behind. The therapist that I went to did an imagery exercise with me that helped this a lot. I first took time to relax/deep breathing, then he had me imagine myself - the myself that I felt distanced from - sitting in the palm of my hand. Then I would place her back inside me (I don't remember if this was done through the crown of my head or my chest - he did a lot of different imagery exercises). I know this sounds hokey, but this visualization would bring me a sense of integration that lasted a few minutes each time. As I came to terms with my situation, my dissociative episodes tapered off. I hope you will find that the same happens with you.
Thanks for listening, Sincerely, brett