Anxiety Community
PSYCHIATRIST DOCTORS ARE A JOKE

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

PSYCHIATRIST DOCTORS ARE A JOKE

I have been taking lorazapam since I was 18 for panic disorder, sever anxiety and slight agoraphobia. My doctor then put me on 4mg of loraz everyday and never told me the long term affects. I am now 25 and asked my doctor if I could taper to a lower dosage because I didn't want to be sick anymore when I didn't have the meds. I had no idea I became physically dependent and she said I should go to this mental health and wellness office. So I did and I made a treatment plan to taper slowly dropping .5mg every 4 weeks till I got to a .5 from a 4mg. Well I have been there for a couple months now and have had nothing but problems. They immediately treated me and still do like im just some child addict. They talk to me like I have no idea what im talking about and say I should just detox cold turkey! They have docs in that office that are not licensed psych and alway mess up perscriptions, also they don't get my plans right. So they just called me as I was going to refill my medicine and said sorry but we are going to drop you to a 1.5mg when I have been taking a 2.5! And instead of 4 weeks dropping a .5mg every 4 wks, now I will be dropping a .5 every 2 weeks!!! Until I have no more meds then they say im done! I have done my research and I KNOW THAT DRIPPING TOO FAST WILL CAUSE WITHDRAWL (withdrawal)! THEY SAID YOU WILL BE FINE AND JUST DEAL WITH IT! HERE'S MY QUESTION: Is it legal for them to drop me that fast off of this medication and even when I had this plan with one doctor and a different doctor is now saying 2 weeks and starting me from a 1.5mg when I've been taking a 2.5mg?
Sure it's legal, but if you don't like your doctors you find a different one.  Most doctors do not have a clue how to properly taper a person off any drug, let alone a benzo -- they don't understand the most basic part, which is that everyone is different and some can do it very easily and some can't so the schedule has to be tailored to the individual.  You also have to advocate for yourself -- doctors are very busy and would very much like not to have to deal with you.  So you have to speak up for yourself.  You might just sail right through this -- many do -- so this might be a fine taper for you, but if it isn't you have to slow it down and remember, doctors work for you, you don't work for them.
Jade59 commented on Jade59's status
50 mins ago
Shane1997 commented on A very inspiring colu...
Jade59 commented on Jade59's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms