Anxiety Community
Paxil Withdrawal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Paxil Withdrawal

I've tried to get off Paxil recently and had the WORST problems. After researching and talking to people who have gotten off (or tried to get off) of the drug I am horrified that Paxil is still being prescribed. I am also AMAZED that a DOCTOR would actually say that this isn't dangerous, or that it isn't the PAXIL!?!? Are you kidding? How much were you paid to say that? Paxil DID help with my panic attacks. Did not cure or stop them, but helped. Then getting off of it, or trying to was ABSOLUTE HELL! I can't walk because I'm so dizzy I can't keep my balance. My head feels foggy and cloudy. My head also hurts and it feels like someone keeps hammering a nail into my eyes. I cannot read a book or focus on the computer screen. I get confused and do not understand even the simplest of things. I am 27, smart, in shape and fast- paced. When trying to slowly wean off of this drug - I become slow and confused. Also, I become nauseous, the lights around become extremely bright. I cannot stand the lights even in my house. I have to squint and then even cover my eyes. I become emotional -- overly ovely emotional. I become paranoid and scared and start to panic because I see shadows out of the corners of my eyes. Then I try to go to work and I can't correctly hear or understand what people are saying to me. I feel like I'm watching a movie or it is a dream. I start to wonder if I'm losing my mind. I start sweating in my own house (that I always keep at 60 degrees) and have to go outside in the 30 degree weather with a tank top on. That is if I don't fall down the steps from the dizziness or the shocks in my head. I became extremely angry and irratated. So angry that family members suggested that I go to anger management classes. That was before they knew that it was the Paxil. These are just some of the MAIN things I am feeling while slowly slowly weaning off of this drug that was supposed to help me. My doctor that put me on Paxil told me to only stay on it for 1 year. So one year later, this is what's going on. It is happening to everyone trying to wean off of Paxil. If you don't have one symptom, you have the other. And lucky me, I have most of them. I have NO time to take off of work and I worked like this every day until I couldn't take it anymore and went back on Paxil. I read one doctor say that this was a safe drug and there are no withdrawal symptoms and I had to laugh out loud. Please "doctor" try out Paxil for yourself for a year or 2 and then stop taking it. My husband was on Paxil in the army and stopped taking it and got what they call the "Paxil Flu". This is a dangerous drug that has many side effects and many MANY more withdrawal symptoms. You might as well be on heroin and try to get off. If I could go back, I would have never gotten on Paxil. It helped with panic attacks but gave me about 30 other problems. So to sum up.... when on Paxil you get to look forward to gaining weight, making bad decisions and choices that will affect the rest of your life and coming close to death while trying to get off of this drug from HELL!!
P.S. There are documents stating that GSK (the makers of Paxil) knew that there were horrible withdrawal symptoms and hid this fact. So either the doctor's don't know about it or they're lying to us. Either way, this is happening.. it's real and extremely dangerous.
Hello Dana: I can only say that when I came off Paxil it was like a nightmare.  I did the coming off slowly but my head did not feel like it belonged to me any longer.  I then  did something (instinctively) and that was take Flora brand -  St. John's Wort 420 mg to come off it.  I don't recommend this, but it worked for me.  I stayed on it for 6 months while coming off and it seemed to even me out, pad the landing as I like to say.  If you don't already see a Naturopath, I would recommend that for sure.  I know it costs $, but even if you only go and see them once, it could really save you in the long run.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Jannie1
I am sorry that you are having withdrawal problems from this.  How fast did you wean off of it?  I only ask this because, when I originally started coming off of an SSRI, I was having unwanted side effects and I went back to the doctor and suggested that maybe I go much slower.  It really minimized the effects and other than a headache and a little naseau, it worked for me.  In my opinion, some GP docs, wean us off of these medications a little too fast...have you tried going back to talking to him/her?
ahh this is really scaring me.. i am on paxil right now and have been on it for a few months.. what was your dosage? what were you given as you were being weaned off???

i hope you are doing ok!!
I only took 10 mg - half of a pill. I was on it for over a year though. Thanks to everybody who responded. These withdrawal's are nasty! Since I was only on a half pill, I started doing it every other day. That didn't work well at all so my doc said to go even slower. Still horrible, so I went slower, slower, slower. I've heard that some people take xanax or prozac while trying to come off of Paxil. Also, the herbal remedies. I don't seem to have much luck with any of them. But every one's different, and will experience different side effects and withdrawals. I've researched a lot and found many people with ALL of the withdrawals and side effects. Good luck to you and be very careful when weaning off! Go as SLOW as possible.
Just hang in there...it WILL get better as you come off of it. You are doing the right thing by be very proactive in this in my opinion.  
I am on 25 mg of Paxil right now, I am going to talk to my doctor about withdrawal symptoms, etc. because I do plan to go off of my medication eventually.. better sooner than later from the sounds of it! I am in therapy now, so I am hoping that I can overcome this through CBT... thank you for your comments!
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Like you say, everyone's different and I personally found paxil a godsend for anxiety. I found the side affects at the beginning worse than the withdrawal ones (bad nausea/hot flushes/burning skin versus some odd visual stuff and intense dreams/nightmares but then anxiety has some pretty terrible symptoms too) Yes, it should  be only taken when absolutely neccessary but I think all those that find the withdrawals ok don't talk about it much and don't post on the internet so the dreadful tales you can read might be a bit of a self-selected group. Not saying some people don't have very bad symptoms but on balance I think paxil is a helpful drug for many many people.

Hope things get easier for you day by day. Take care.
How are you doing?
Hi, I read your post and I definitdely relate. I have been on 30 mg of Paxil for almost a year for bad depression but I have gained about 30-40 lbs and I cannot function daily without 12-16 hours of sleep. I have gone against my doctor's wishes and slowly started to whean myself off of this drug because of these problems. I cannot stand the amount of weight I have put on. I am slowly stopping because I have stopped all of a sudden and experienced the extreme dizziness, nausea, light headedness, blurred vision, hallucinations, and sever headaches. I am cutting my 30 mg pills into 20 mg pieces but not I am going back to the beginning side effects of Paxil where I cannot sleep at all. I now have to take Nyquil to sleep because I constantly toss and turn throught the night. It helps me to hear that I am not alone in my struggles do if you want to talk or just comment please feel free.
I switched from Paxil to Lexapro a little over a year ago. I had been on Paxil for 10 years before that.

For the longest time it was near impossible to get a doctor to even admit there was withdrawls  or any problems with paxil. I wish i would have noticed more about my Doctors office. With his paxil note-pad, Paxil Clock on the wall, Paxil tee-shirts and frisbees in the back room, and Paxil pens on every table.

During one visit to his office, he had left the door open from his office and his supply room, where he would meet with Phrarm Reps. One Pfizer Rep was telling my doctor that he was still in the running for 3 free nights at the Pfizer company cabin at Lake Tahoe, if he could get more people prescriptions to Zoloft.

My Doctor then walks in to talk to me. He said he had been going over my chart, and was wondering if perhaps taking me off Lexapro, and putting me on..... (Surprise, Surprise).... Zoloft might be a good idea. I told him no.

So who knows what motivates some of these doctors to do what they do.
I have never been so miserable in my life. I have been coming down off of Paxil for 6 months. There is no such thing as "weening" off of Paxil. No matter how slow you go, the side effects are still there. I know that I need some type of medication, but am afraid to try anything else for fear of having to go through this hell again. I don't know what to do at this point, it is so bad. It would be so easy to take a pill and "feel better", but I am determined to stop. I have come to far. How long will this last. I honestly don't know how much more of this I can take. I can't be around anyone. The irritability, the headaches, and I even have a jaw ache that is hell. My muscles hurt, and I cannot stop crying. If anyone is contemplating trying Paxil, please do not take it. Horrible. I am just hoping that I will make it through this.
Stay strong, hang on, I recently switched from 25 mg to 12.5 and had some symptoms like headaches and shakiness, i know this sounds kind of silly but when i would get more upset from the stress of thie side effects happening i would try doing yoga and stuff... maybe try something like that? i know it doesn't take away from the physical side effects, but it has certainly helped me with the emotional upset about the changes happening
I am sorry you are all going through such a hard time getting off your medicines.  I know they all have side affects & some withdrawal but I am SO SURPRISED at how freely they give out these meds without warning people.  If you read at all on the internet you can quickly learn about what people are going through when trying to get off SSRI's.  How can the doctors not know or be informed about thes "nightmares" people are experiencing??  I made another appt with my doctor & I have printed out (from the internet) hundreds of people who say they are going through HELL getting off these meds and I will be sure MY doctor knows what people are going through and find out if they are aware.  I think eveyone should mention to their doctors so they are more informed of these dangerous drugs and how they are really affecting REAL people.  I am not saying I am totally against these meds I just think people should know what they are getting into & then they can make an educated decision on whether they think they will benifit in the end.  What we are not told by doctors are the side affects AFTER taking the meds...when it's time to get off.  I sure hope everyone is feeling a little better each day.  I can only imagine what you are going through on top of the anxiety that we all deal with everyday.  
Yeah, tell me about it.  Neither the doctor who put me on Paxil nor the one who took me off told me anything about withdrawal.  I had to find out what was happening to me on the internet, and I never have recovered.  
I can soo relate. I have had to quit paxil "cold turkey". I only get pd once a month and the dr. wouldn't send me 15. (enough to last me til pay day) This is day 5! I have been sooooo sick. I have 5 kids at home and work with kids during the day. I have been on paxil for a year. At times I could break down and cry. While other times I am trying not to go into a rage. While the whole time being "sick as a dog." I wish I hadn't taken this drug at all. My dr. put me on it last March for depression. I am worse now than I was then.
Take care.

Blueyes74
Hello I'm 20 years old and have been on paxil for a year iam currently trying to cold turkey quit and as I read slowly getting your self off the pills make no difference... I am currently coming off of them because I just found out I'm 4 weeks pregnante... so without seeing a doctor yet I thought of my child first and said no to any pills.... the side effects suck I get this feeling where my heart skips a beat and my whole body feels tingly I feel attimes like my body goes numb almost wants to put me in a panick attack and the neasues part I'm not sure if its from pregnancy or quitting the pill like iam but I have that too... this medication ***** and I know now to never go back on it... that being all said I guess I wanna know if anyone here knows how long these with drawls last

Melissa
You should never quit any of these meds cold turkey.  Go to your psychiatrist and get a tapering schedule.  If he sounds like he doesn't know about tapering, see another shrink.  Slower is better.  You're not anyone else, so no one can tell you how long it'll last.  Some get no withdrawal, some get minor ones, some get bad ones.  I still encourage you to properly taper off it.
this is one of the MANY REASONS why I dont like any of the SSRI's or any of the AD's.

visit cchrDOTorg, lots of answers and hope there

All physc meds are dangerous, and based on **** theroy
Everything is from a physical problem, the Docs that dont believe that are just to dumb to properly diagnose.

Congrats on your pregnancy!  Good thing you are coming off of Paxil...don't know if your doctor discussed this with you or not, but have you seen the numbers of what this drug can do for birth defects?  The goverment is researching it now.  Alot of people have issues with this drug.  Just keep talking aout it with your doctor I am sure he/she is fully aware of how crappy this med can be, even for anxiety..and they say xanax is bad.  I have always said, all these types of meds have bad withdrawls and side-effects...but then again some of us don't feel anything and no problems while others go through a very hard time.

Wishing you and all the best with Paxil.
i was prescribed paxil for depression in March 2009 at 20mg the side effects were muscle twitching so I reduced to 10mg after 4 weeks and then after 2 weeks on 10mg i didnt take anymore.  ive been thru hell and am still in it ive aged 20yrs in 18weeks my muscles are wasting and i think im gonna die soon im only 59yrs and was fit in March      i dont sleep and i get weaker everyday i cant eat sleep or concentrate  now ive been prescribed pregabalin  i darent take it it will finish me off.  has anyone ever survived paxil discontinuation ?
I have been on Paxil for 2 years and found the results to be great however I am currently unemployed and went off the Paxil cold turkey becaus of the financial difficulty. I am going through "Paxil Withdrawals" just like everyone on here has said. I have the vertigo, the electric zaps, the headaches and the emotional ups and downs. I feel like I am not even in my own body sometimes. The problem I am having is with my boyfriend. He does not understand why I am "not acting like myself" and is getting frustrated with me because he does not know how to help me. Can anyone help me explain this to him to prevent this from ruining our relationship??????
Put him on the internet, type in Paxil withdrawal, and make him sit there and read.  And why would you ever go off this med cold turkey?  Why does anyone still do this after all the lawsuits and revelations and ten years of publicity?
I had to go cold turkey because i do not have the money to have it filled. I have never heard of the lawsuits or withdrawal issues until i started to experience it and went googling. This is all very new to me because i never experienced any trouble with paxil in the two years i have taken it.
It costs very little to fill a generic Paxil prescription.  It's been off patent for years.  Money is not the issue here.  Whoever called it in for you before will probably call it in for you for free; I know my old psychiatrist did when I lost my health insurance.  I hope this goes well for you, but if you find you do need to go back on it, finding a way should be doable.
Hey All,
I am relieved to have found this site... I had been on Paxi 20mg for about 2 years and then down to 10mg (tried to go off completely once but the zaps drove me crazy) so I continued on the 10mg (I would like to get pregnant and do not want to take any chances of birth defects)... I finally took myself off of Paxil completely about 1 month ago today (I also completely stopped taking Xanax 6 weeks ago - which resulted in torture withdrawel symptoms but managed to get through it). So here I am - completely unmotivated, dizzy, unclear, crying (It is RARE that I cry), ANXIETY (had an anxiety / panic attack that lasted a good 2 hours with no reason for onset, depressed somewhat (not suicidal but just depressed and do not enjoy anything right now)... I don't even really want to talk to my friends (I am a talkoholic so this is a shock) -- I started researching because I couldn't understand why I was going through this, and it still baffles me that this could be happening even after 1 month of not taking it (and just 10mg -- my doctor told me that it was such a low dose that he would be surprised that I would even get the zaps) HA! So my question is -- is THIS normal to be still having withdrawel symptoms after 4 weeks? I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel right now... Help!
P.S. Many years ago, I had a very serious reaction to Prednisone which threw me into severe depression in which I was prescribed Paxil - it SAVED MY LIFE and honestly, when I took myself off of the medication slowly, the only symptom was the zapping so I am wondering why this is hitting me so hard this time.....
For you, you went off too fast.  Everyone's different, and Paxil can be very hard to quit.  I'm three years out and still suffering, though that's pretty rare and I didn't know I was in withdrawal, my psychiatrist never told me about it.  If you're not currently pregnant, my unexpert advice is to go back on the 10mg and taper as slowly as you need to.  Paxil makes a liquid so you can taper very slowly, if need be.  Good luck.
I've been on paxil since I was about 13 years old, I am now 21 and was on a 40 miligram dose. About a month ago all of my anxiety symptoms started to come back so my doctor switched my meds. I am "slowly" backing off the paxil and starting this new medication, but she has me going from 40 to 20 miligrams for one week and them to 10 miligrams for a week and then stopping.
I am on day 3 of the 10 miligrams and the withdrawl (withdrawal) that I am feeling is almost unbearable. I'm a college student and its been difficult to go to class, study, etc. My headaches are terrible, my stomach is in knots all the time, and I've been throwing up every morning. I just hope that this starts to get better soon, cause I can't take much more of this, it is exhausting.
Also, I know that probably not all of you are religious, but what has helped me is praying a little more. I'm Catholic, but I find a lot of comfort in doing more Hindu forms of meditation. I also wanted to share a quote with you all from Gandhi, it just really has been speaking to me lately and I wanted to share, "There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever."
I wish everyone the best with this! :)
My own opinion is you're withdrawing way too fast.  Why suffer needlessly?  And try some fish oil; many report this reduces the physiological symptoms of withdrawal.  Good luck.
I've been on 10mg of Paxil for about 4 or 5 weeks now.... but I'm weaning off b/c of sexual side effect (my dr. knows this).... will my withdrawals more than likely be minimal, since I've only been on 10mg of a month?
I was on paxil for just under a year. I was only taking 10mg daily, and i quite cold turky. I do not recomend this @ all! Always talk to your doctor before comming off and always taper yourself. My withdrawal was horrible and most days i couldn't even stand up let alone lift my head. I have been off paxil for about 2ish months and somedays I still feel the withdrawal symptoms (or long term effect of the paxil??) but for the most part after about 1ish months i started to feel  better. Im currently taking St. Johns wort and looking into another anti-depressant.
Also it takes about six weeks for the paxil to take affect so your withdrawal symptoms; i would asume might not be as bad since its only been one month.
Good luck
Dana- I too am having these horrible symptoms. I started taking Paxil about 9 years ago and have stopped taking it once before without all these crazy withdrawals. I only started back on it due to increased stress that I knew would make it difficult for me to control my emotions on my own and my panic attacks. I started back on Paxil 4 years ago after being off it for 2 years. I was originally on Paxil 20, when placed back on it I was place on the 10mg CR, then to the 10mg during an outage on the CR. When I told my Dr that placed me on it *my Gyn because I was mainly Prescribed Paxil for PMDS* that the Paxil wasn't working the way it should, she increased me from 10mg to 20 and then when I had the same complaint she increased it again to 40 MG! I am a licensed Certified Pharmacy tech at the 3rd largest hospital in North Carolina and know a lot about medications but I also work with some of the best Pharmacists around, so I spoke to our Psychiatric Pharmacist and she was not happy about this prescription at all. Recently, I've been exceedingly tired, ill, quite, unable to concentrate, aimless, unable to make decisions, and dizzy/nauseated, so I went to my GP instead and she took me off the Paxil 40 and started me on Zoloft 25mgs for 3 days and now to 50mg. She took me off Paxil because she thinks as do I that it is not working correctly for me and is the source of my issues.  I am still having massive withdrawal issues from the Paxil so I'm planning on talking to my GP about this at my followup. Anyway my main point is even though I work with these medications EVERY day I didn't know about these withdrawal issues, they are not widely known and had I known I wouldn't have started back on Paxil. I just read your post to my boyfriend and he is appalled but now understands how I've been feeling. Glad to know I'm not alone.
I tried to come off of Paxil slowly after being on the damn thing for about 5 years or so. I'm 21 now and my pediatrician put me on it when I was in the 8th or 9th grade. I was on 30mg and basically just came off of it for about 5 days and I've never felt worse in my life. The headache, nausea, pain, sweats, paranoia... It's not worth going on this medicine. I finally broke down and took it this morning and I'm feeling a little better but it's still hard to function. You may as well take heroin and try to come off it. I would imagine that would be easier. Good Luck to anyone who tries to come off this crazy drug.
Hi, do you have any idea what the difference is between Paxil and Pexeva? I understand they both are in the same class of drugs. What's scary is I've been taking 40 MG of Pexeva since July 2009 for panic attacks and my  doctor has told me to wean off of it (from 40 to 30mg for 1 week, 20 mg for 1 week, then 10mg, then zero).  So two questions; One: Is the "normal" amt of Pexeva at 40mg and the "normal" amt of Paxil at 10mg for the average person? Why was my dosage so much higher? (that scares me). I have not read any post anywhere where someone has taken such a high dosage like myself. And second question: I am on day 2 of having zero Pexeva and I have had lightheadness, vivid dreams, my equilibrium is constantly off (as if everything around me is moving or spinning), nausea, brain zaps, and many other symptoms. Are these withdrawal symptoms going to completely go away or am I going to live with them for the rest of my life?
Thank you.
Hi dana I am 10 nites tonite paxil free but went onto lexapro had a horrific time and still am. I heard that if u want off paxil the best way to do and easiest is to cross over onto prozac and it will take the withdrawls of paxil away and prozac is easy to come off of because of its longer half life. Unfortunatley for me was not an option because when I tried prozac before goping onto paxil it was not the right drug for me.
Another option is point of return they have supplements and a weaning program to help get your body and brain strong and they help u wean very gradually and tell u how to obtain the liquid paxil.

Good luck and god bless all of us who have to experience this. Suzette
Last time I tried to ween off of Paxil Lymphatic drainage really helped.  It alliviated a lot of the symptoms.  The nausea was the worst that and the lack of concentration.  I swore I could deal with all the muscle aches and dizziness if I just didn't feel sick to my stomach any more.  The lymphatic drainage takes about 45 min. and costs 45 dollars here by a message therapist at an alternative medicine place.  If it works as good as did last time I should get some relief.  I will post the results later.  I weened from 62mg down to 37mg down to 25mg down to 17mg down to 12mg.  Then quit.  I still feel terrible.
I am a 45 year old woman who has taken Paxil for nearly 10 years due to stress and depression.  I feel that I am at a point in my life where I am ready to be Paxil-free, but I am scared to death to do so.  I've been out for just a few days and I feel like my brain is falling apart.  I experienced all the above mentioned symtoms (symptoms) - in short - HELL!  Thanks to those of you have offered advice.  I have no insurance at this point, and I work two jobs to feed my kids, so I am going to try some of the options you have given.  Thanks.  God bless all of you who are going through this.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.
I have been on Paxil for 3 years and am now starting to wean off. In the beginning, about 2-3 months. I had some side affects. Nausea, hot flashes, a feeling of being shocked... all the bad things. Eventually, they go away, and they were not even that bad when they were happening. Not EVERYONE has these terrible experiences as many people have suggested. Make sure that some of the side effects you are having are not being caused by other things. For example, if you gained weight as another person mentioned, are you sure it is not because you ate more calories. Correlation is not causation! Typically only the people with bad experiences are compelled to tell their stories, look for some people with positive experiences and weigh ALL the options and the experiences.
I have been a Paxil user for 10 years, easy.... I really love the stuff; it has helped me so much. I started using it after experiencing Prozac poop-out (it stopped working so well).
I tried cutting back from the 20 mg/day to taking it every other day. That lasted a  short time, and now I am back to 2 days on and 1 day off. I would like to stop taking the stuff someday. I was able to use a generic for $4.00 per 30 day supply. That makes it really affordable. However, one day I received a prescription of a different substitute generic, and it did not work at all. I felt awful! I got this dizzy feeling and a 'swooshing' sound behind my eyes! Plus I was anxious and nervous. After a week of this I was a wreck. I was fortunate to be able to find the same generic as before and now things are OK again. That experience showed me that this is not a mild drug.
I fear that as I use it longer, I may actually replace my own body's ability to make the seretonin it does naturally. Is that possible? Does anyone have data on that possibility?
Paxil doesn't make serotonin, it just reuses used serotonin longer than it would otherwise.  Your  body is still manufacturing the serotonin.  What does happen is many of the brain's serotonin receptors shut down while you're on an ssri and when you go off those receptors start reawakening since they're needed again.  That is thought to cause much of the withdrawal, but certainly not all.  Paxil also affects choline receptors quite a bit.  Choline is essential for the brain's proper functioning.  So that is thought to explain in part why Paxil is particularly difficult to stop taking.  Nobody knows if these meds cause permanent damage or alteration -- nobody's really looking.  Bad for business, you know.  Virtually all we know of patented medication is what pharmaceutical companies choose to share with us, as their research is protected as a trade secret.  There is some independent research, and it's mixed.  There are cases of protracted withdrawal from many medications as well as addictive illegal drugs, but nobody knows how many because, again, nobody's got the money to look.  Most people do fine, so worrying is useless, but it's good that you are aware it might be difficult and just make sure your psychiatrist also knows this and knows how to react if it is to help you.
Everyone isn't you.  What you feel is what you feel.  What they feel is what they feel.  Perhaps the med you're on now has destroyed your ability to feel empathy; maybe it's time to switch.
Maybe I am a cold heart'ed *******, but the original post sounds like a lot of unnecessary drama to me. Or maybe I'm getting paid to lie, just like the doctor's are....
If you are getting paid to lie, tell me how to get in on the gig!

Paxil withdrawal
by YarnSmith, 3 hours ago
Tags: Paxil Withdrawl (withdrawal)
OMG I never thought that this weaning would be soooooooooooooooo bad!!!! I have been on several doses of paxil for the past 12 years prescribed for "peri-menopause" anxiety. I had one incident of very close to fainting and this was my doctors answer to a female condition, take a pill and it will go away. Well it did as well as all emotion for 12 years. I am now on day 5 of weaning off of 12.5 CR and have every symptom that I read about this morning on the internet. I actually had to pull over on the highway 2 days ago because no one warned me about driving that I may pass out, well I got to the side of the road just in time. With these horrible withdrawal effects I am not going back now, I hope I can grin and bear the zaps, headaches, ataxia, vertigo, weird dreams, sweats, mood swings, light and noise intolerance etc, etc, I have them all. Oh yeah my doctor told me that because I was on CR the withdrawal would not be so bad, I would hate to see it if I were still on the straight dosage. I am on paxil every other day, any other suggestions would be helpful before I have to drive again in three days to go to work. thanks for listening
i have been on paxil since i was in third grade, probably the youngest of all. while i have tried getting off of it three times over the years(all were hell), i still truly believe in it. i went from 20 panic attacks a day, not eating, and losing weight until i was only 60 pounds to being a healthy active teenager on the drill team and with a boyfriend, and in advanced classes. none of this would have happened if i had kept spiralling downward. so yes, getting off paxil is hard, but it really changes lives. at least it did mine
I am on my 2nd week of being Paxil free and all I can say is that my experience has been HORRIBLE.  I am experiencing everything that Dana1981 mentioned in her posting except for the paranoia.  I have been on Paxil for about 8 years now at a dose of 20mg.  I originally went on it to deal with anxiety and depression.  Now that my husband and I would like to get pregnant, it is necessary to get off Paxil for the baby's sake (due to possible birth defects).  I have been on about 10 mg for the past year.  I tapered off to 5mg with no problem and then tapered off to 5mg every other day and then every third day for about 2 months.  My doctor doesn't know why I'm still feeling so terrible after being off Paxil for 2 weeks now.  I only can hope that I start feeling better soon, because there is no way that I can go to work.  I have to lay still with no noise to deal with the dizziness and nausea.  I can handle the hot sweats and chills, but the dizziness and nausea are so bad that I cannot do simple household tasks.  I sometimes have an hour or two when I feel okay, so I try to do laundry and empty the dishwasher.  Then it's back to bed.  I read about one person's experience where she had to lay on the couch for 2 months.  I am hoping and praying that doesn't happen to me, but I'm afraid it's heading in that direction....
I have been on Paxil for 15 years and recently started having side effects of muscle twitching in my legs and feet, ringing in my ears and terrible gastric reflux from stomach irritation.  I went down on my dosage by half for 6 weeks, but started to get more anxious and dissociate.  The muscle twitching went away though.  I decided to go back to my regular dose and two weeks later, I experienced extreme muscle twitching all over my body, sweating, brain zaps and feelings of impending doom to say the least.  My doctor says I am hypersensitive to Paxil now and if I can get off it, all the better, but now she wants to start me on Celexa.  I got the script filled but am not taking it yet.  I go back to my doctor this week.  I wish I never started on Paxil 15 years ago for panic attacks at the time.
Make sure you go off the Paxil very slowly after all that time, very slowly.  Switching to Celexa will not necessarily have any effect on Paxil withdrawal; they don't work the same, and the Celexa might not work for you.  Remember that for whatever reason, Paxil tends to be stronger than other ssris.  Also, what you're suffering sounds like Paxil withdrawal to me.  It might go away now that you're back up to your regular dosage -- you dropped in dosage too quickly.  You also should be supplementing with magnesium, any ssri can cause these muscle problems because they tend to interfere with the absorption of magnesium.  Before you quit Paxil, I'd read a book called The Anti-Depression Solution by Joseph Glanville; it will get you prepared and will also let you know if your psychiatrist truly understands how to do this or not.  Mine didn't, and I paid big time.  Don't want you to.  Good luck.
I was prescribed paxil for hot flashes almost a year.  The hot flashes stopped but the weight gain started.  I have gained 30 pounds in less than 10 months (which I HATE) and my sex drive is almost nonexistant!  I have never been this size (not even when I was pregnant)!  So, needless to say, I decided I would just stop taking it all at once (about 3 weeks ago).  My doctor has told me that if I decided to stop taking it I should wean myself off because it could cause depression so I decided I could deal with a little depression for a little while if I would stop gaining weight and lose some of that I had gained.  Unfortunately, she didn't tell me about any of the other symptoms that, after reading some of the posts, I'm assuming are withdrawal symptoms.  The hot flashes are back along with some naseau (which she said is possibly acid reflux), and some iritability (mood swings).  Since I wasn't on it for a long period of time, I'm hoping the withdrawal symptoms will go away soon.  My doctor did suggest prescribing another drug for hot flashes but said there would be some other side affect so have decided to just take my black cohash and stay away from the other menopausal drugs.  

Since I've read that some people experience hot flashes as a withdrawal effect, hopefully once it's all out of my system, the hot flashes will go away as well as the extra weight!

I wish I had researched paxil before I started taking it to see what the side effects would be but I know that I will not be recommending it to anyone.
Black cohosh may not be your best choice, at least not by itself.  Paxil for hot flashes was a horrible choice, but that's pharmaceutical advertising for you.  Black cohosh is estrogenic, but most American women don't have an estrogen problem, they have a progesterone problem.  Keep in mind we are inundated with estrogenic chemicals in our society, including good old petroleum, which is used in pesticides, fertilizer, plastics, etc.  So while black cohosh can be useful, you might want to add some d-o-n-g quai to it for hormone balancing and some vitex, or chastetree berry for progesterone.  There are some good formulas out there for the trying.  Planetary Formulas is a good company to try, but there are several if you have access to a genuine health food store (meaning one where people will actually talk to you with some knowledge, unlike chain stores like Whole Foods).  Good luck.
Been off paxil now for about 8 days. The nausea and vomiting were the worse I think. But now I have this horrible jaw/face pain on the right side of my face?  I have been thru the vivid horrible dreams, paranoid nights where I thought there was a person in my closet at 300am, the dizziness is still there.  I take a dramamine pill to curb the dizziness, which stops the vomiting.  Crystalized ginger to settle my stomach. My holistic doctor gave me Adrenal Plus.  It is drops to put in water 3 times a day.  Yes, it seems to also ease the side affects and stress.  I am hoping I am almost over this craziness.  But the jaw pain is now killing me...wow it hurts.  I dont hear many people complaining of jaw pain.  It feels like a bad toothache that has spread all down my right side of my face??? The headache will also not go away today, even with Motrin and Tylenol. I have always felt great mentally though, not really sad.  I have high hopes!!! Life will be great again!!!  God Bless us all....
well i was takin paxil 40 mg for 10 years i have been of been of paxil for two long months and it hasnt been easy i feel some times like if i am going  to have a panic attack but i tell my self  is only a pannick attack so dont panick sometimes when i drive to work i feel so anxious i feel like if i am having a heart attack
I have been on paxil for 15 years. I have slowy downed the dose. It has taken a year to ween off of it. I am a week off paxil and am having really bad side effects. I am a runner who is suppost to run a half marathon this sunday but cant run. I sweat so much than am cold, hot cold, hot. I am so irritated all the time. I can function, think.. Sleep. When will this go away. I am so frustrated i hate this i wish i never was put on this medicine. It is important I stay off it so my husband  and I can start trying. I feel like i am not in my own body.
      I've been reading about Paxil withdrawal for 15 minutes.  And doctors are insisting there is no withdrawal related to this drug?   I was also a victim of Paxil CR withdrawal a few years ago. It was a horrible event. I felt that what i was going through had to be like coming off a narcotic.  I tappered down for 2 weeks thinking i had done what was necesary to wean myself.  WRONG!   The first two weeks were hell and for the next four weeks i was not myself.
      Over the last 15 years i've been on half a dozen different antidepressants at various times.  Paxil is Evil.
well, to just add my 2 cents. I went from 40mg/day to 20mg very 2 -3 days for about 10 days with some of the brain zap feelings. Now i am at 10 mg every 2 - 3 days and am feeling the effects. Quite a bit of dizziness with some nausea for  a few days, now a few days more and its the dizziness, nausea, brain zaps, periods of sneezing  4-5 times in a row which i have never had in my life. Now another day and added diarrhea with some stomach discomfort. I know some are gonna think I getting the flu. I am 98% sure I am not. I will let ya know in a few days.
try adding some kava kava and valerian to ease panic and anxiety. the best kava is sold by kava kafe in Hawai. They have a website.
Unlikely they sell the "best" kava.  The best herbs are always sold by expert herbalists who know how to select the finest kava and have the equipment to test it.  At any rate, that aside, if you're also on benzos be careful with the kava and valerian -- they also act on GABA.  You might try some fish oil in heft quantities -- some find it helps with the withdrawal symptoms, particularly the zaps and the "Paxil flu."  Good luck, and go slow.
No idea if you are still reading this, but wondering how everything went with weaning off of paxil. I was on paxil for 10 years, since I was 17, I am now 27 and just weaned myself off 3 months ago. The withdrawal symptoms are real, the "zaps", oh so real! Any doctor that says paxil has no withdrawal symptoms just has no clue what they are talking about! Paxil is not a good drug! My doctor gave me a prescription for Effexor, because I told her I didn't want to be on paxil anymore, because it was a horrible drug. I went home and searched Effexor and apparently that is another drug from hell, so I didn't even start the drug at all! I am not on any drugs at all now!
Went on Paxil 7 years ago.  20 mg.  My P.A. prescribed it for me.  A P.A.????  are you kidding me.  during a routine visit he asked how I was doing and I mentioned being upset over a family situation.  Next thing I new I was getting a PAXIL prescription filled.  I have been off the dreaded  ******** for 6 months.   I am worse than before it was ever prescribed.  I have, fear, anxiety, anger, mood swings, depression, and no desire to really live.  I mean, going out or eating.  HOWEVER, I've lost 35 lbs. the only plus in this drama.  I keep thinking it will get better, but I'm told I must have had unresolved issues prior to PAXIL.  NO I DID'NT!!!!!!  I had never  been to a therapist, had depression, mood swings, or anxiety.  I believe this is a result of the withdrawals.  I am seeing a shrink who isn't sure why I am having such problems 6 months post PAXIL.  Any suggestions out there?  My family thinks I am crying too much, and slightly scary.   I have lost it.  I am not the same person who felt liberated and thriving in life.  This medication has effected me.  Will this end or do I go back on SOMETHING?  Now therapists want to help me uncover my deep rooted past which they say was hidden before I ever went on PAXIL!   REALLY??????   Please comment.
As I said earlier I had been on Paxil for YEARS before switching to Lexapro. I still fight dizziness, lethargy, and other sensitivities I can only attribute to paxil.

I have taken myself off paxil a month ago. Finally 3 weeks later I felt the electrical impulses go through my body, mainly in my head. I cant take much more of this. And YES, they are not painful, just really annoying and happen only while I am awake. I went to the ER last night and was told to see an eye doctor, WTF is that going to do? Well, I half to get some sleep. And hopefully this does not last much longer.
13+ years on Paxil with zero success in getting off it. If I take my dose at 10pm and havent taken it by say 1am I already have the electrical impulses. My doctor told me it likely isnt effective anymore other than to stop withdrawals.
They say Paxil doesn't have withdrawals because it is not a narcotic, therefore you can't become addicted.  That seems false to me.  If I missed my dose by more than a few hours, I would get dizzy.  However, after being on 30mg of Paxil for 8 years, I went down to 20mg and from there switched to 20mg of Lexapro.  I've been on the Lexapro for about two months now.  I haven't experienced a single side effect.  The best way to get off Paxil is to switch to another drug and then wean off the new drug.  I'm no doctor, but I do have anxiety so I know that anxious people tend to try to find a cause for their symptoms and the more they look, the more anxious they feel.  It is possible to be free of Paxil and live a normal life.
I am currently off Paxil (6 days) and still experiencing horrible withdrawal effects. I was taking Paxil for 10 years at 20mg per day. This is the 4th time I've tried getting off the Paxil, and I am determined to make it stick this time. My withdrawal symptoms have been debilitating. I haven't been to work in a week. I have constant dizziness/motion sickness, nausea, severe headaches, sensitivity to sound and flourescent lighting, and these tingling sensations in the back of my head. I've gotten rid of most of the electric brain zaps by taking fish oil everyday (this really worked for me, so if you're experiencing this symptom, give fish oil a try). My doctor weaned me off Paxil by using Prozac. I would decrease the Paxil, and increase the Prozac over the course of 4 weeks until I was completely off the Paxil. The goal was that the Prozac would help alleviate, if not entirely prevent, the withdrawal symptoms. I've heard that this approach works well for a lot of people, but unfortunately, I am one of those few unlucky people who has not found Prozac helpful in relieving any of the nausea, dizziness, zaps, etc. I am at the end of my rope. After being completely off the Paxil for 6 days, I am still experiencing the debilitating nausea and dizziness. These are the worst symptoms for me right now. I've also found that I am overly emotional. I'm crying at the drop of a hat, which is not like me. I have found that yoga sometimes helps relieve my symptoms for a little while, but they come back. The yoga is mostly helpful to help keep me grounded and focused on accomplishing the goal of being Paxil-free. I am taking Zofran and meclizine, but the meclizine knocks me out. Anyone have any suggestions about how to get past this terrible nausea and dizziness? How long does it last after you stop taking Paxil? I was prepared to suffer through the withdrawal symptoms after having tried to come off the medicine 4 times; however, I was very hopeful the Prozac would significantly reduce the symptoms. Since it hasn't, I am feeling very discouraged and frustrated. I just want to feel normal again. And Paxil didn't even completely control my panic attacks! Mine were horrific. I had these huge panic attacks that would last for days. I'd been in and out of different ER's thinking I was going to die. None of the med's I tried worked, but Paxil was the only one that actually eased the symptoms, though they did not entirely go away. Paxil just helped me be able to talk my way down from a panic attack and reduced the duration of a panic attack. I agree with an earlier statement - Paxil is EVIL! I cannot believe doctors are still prescribing this drug! I recently found a new psychiatrist about finding something that will control the panic attacks better whether it's cognitive therapy with medicine or w/o medicine. I also told her I wanted to get off the Paxil since it wasn't even working anymore, and she told me that she doesn't even prescribe the drug to any of her patients, and neither do any of the other doctors in her practice. She said the drug is terrible. It may have helped "ease" the panic attacks, but I gained 50 pounds and am now going through one of the worst experiences of my life. This is nearly as bad as my panic attacks were before the medicine!!!! I hate Paxil!!!!!!!
I took Paxil 10mg for 6 years.I stopped cold turkey 6 weeks ago after a horrible reaction one night. The worst of the withdrawl (withdrawal) is over but I am still left with some nausea and dizziness and the electric zaps through my body. The zaps seem to be decreasing but my question is do they ever go away? They are scary and annoying. I have started taking 5-htp, cal/mag and fish oil and I suspect this is what is helping me so far. I have seen my DR and gone to emerg and both doctors have this confused look when I tell them about the shocks. The er doc had the gall to say I should try some advil as my nerves may be inflammed.
Actually, of course you know stopping cold turkey wasn't your brightest idea, and 5-HTP may in fact may be prolonging the withdrawal.  The brain zaps are believed to be caused by serotonin receptors that were no longer needed when you were on the ssri re-awakening after you stopped, and 5-HTP may, by producing serotonin more efficiently, be delaying the completion of this process.  Fish oil is said to help.  Calcium isn't that useful, but magnesium might be.  You should have tapered, but even then, Paxil is a difficult med, and with any ssri nobody can tell you how long your experience will be, since it depends on the person.  For most people, they last a couple of weeks, but it can be longer for some.  Again, depends on the person.  I never got them at all when I stopped Paxil, but I got just about every other thing imaginable, and I tapered.  So it just depends on your particular body.  As for understanding these shocks, you need to see a psychiatrist or pharmacologist, or just google them -- God knows people have known about them for years now.
I just recently stopped taking Paxil, due to a "numb" feeling I had toward everything in my life. I was first prescribed Paxil when I was only 15 years old, I am now 22. The doctor gave me little to no information on what was going to happen if I were to discontinue the drug, so every time that I did try I would get very intense withdrawal symptoms so I would continue to take it, because the withdrawal was worst than feeling numb. I didn't ween off the Paxil because I ran out of my prescription and would have to travel a long distance to see a doctor for them to refill it for me, and at this point I can't continue living my life feeling like this. I am currently suffering through extreme mood swings, sensitivity to light, I'm hearing sounds or "zaps" as they are sometimes referred to, intense vertigo to the point where I almost lose my balance, vomiting, headaches, and experiencing trouble sleeping. It's been a little over 4 weeks since I've stopped taking Paxil and although I've been through the worst of it I am still feeling horrible. It's hard to imagine what it is like to be back to normal, at this point I don't know if I will ever feel normal again.
I have been on 50 mg of Paxil now for 2 years. Before Paxil I was on Lexapro and Welbutrin...... I quit cold turkey last June while fighting an ear infection. I thought all my sickness was due to the infection. The infection became so bad I had to go to the er. When they found out I had quit cold turkey, they were amazed to say the least that I didn't go into cardiac arrest. After being Paxil free I started back up after 3 months due to depression. ( stupid decision) After 4 months of taking it again I decided again to try to get off the medication due to not liking some of the side effects of being on it, (weight gain 50 lbs, and low sex drive). the Dr had put me on Phentermine in Jan. to try to take some of the 50 lbs off, but I had absolutely no luck. ( 4 lbs.) I have taken Phentermine in the past and have had great success. Usually almost 20 lbs in the first month. The only thing that had changed in my life was that I was taking Paxil, so that is why I decided to stop this last time. Again, I stopped cold turkey since I didn't think withdrawal was a problem with this med only to become deathly sick after being off around 2 wks. All the same symptoms as before with my ear infection... Which made me realize those symptoms were'nt due to the infection but due to Paxil withdrawal. So I decided to slowly wean myself down 10 mg at a time... It didn't seem to matter I was still having terrible terrible withdrawals such as: Unable to eat, just the thought of food made me sick, nausea, dry heaves, dizzy, sensitivity to light, sounds, smell. Sweating, headaches, tired, diarrhea,indigestion, sore eyes, eye pain, itchy palms and feet, wild crazy dreams and nightmares. I'm down to 10 mg a day and able to finally drive my car for the first time in almost 6 wks, YES, 6 weeks! Thank god I don't have a job other than being a full time mom. Which is still very trying while going through withdrawals. I go to the Dr this Thursday to talk to her to see what can be done once I no longer take the 10 mg. This drug is evil and to those who are even considering taking it, please think again!      
I went to the Dr Thursday and was put on Straterra for ADD. I started my first dose Thursday evening. Friday I was a bit tired when I first woke, but woke with no headache. It was a pretty good day actually. I didn't take any Paxil Thursday or Friday and felt good enough to get out and do things on Friday. This is my 2nd day Paxil free! Yeepie! Hopefully the end of my withdrawals.
My Wife took paxil for over 8 years, she stopped 2 weeks ago because we are gonna try to have a baby. since she started the withdrawal process she in not herself, her mood changes every day,she seems in another world. This paxil withdrawal is making our relationship fall apart.. dont know what do or how to help her?? can any one give me advise??
i am 23 and take 40mgs a day but i have now stopped takin it because i have no more refills so i havent takin it in 5 days i have only had the crying spells after reading all the stories on here im really scared i have 1mg of ativan that i take twice a day so im hopeing that helps me while im goin thru the withdarwl but ill just have to wait and see .
I quit Paxil(in January) and lived through the side effects but was having horible panic attacks almost daily for the last month. I finally broke down last week and started the Paxil again (5mg only) and the electric shocks in my body are back. I have just started seeing a Naturopathic doctor and am much calmer since I have increased my fish oil and cal/mag. Since I have only been back on Paxil for about 10 days can I just stop? Suggestions?
I am off paxil two weeks today, thank God! I have been on it for over five years at only 10 mg every other day. I started on paxil for extreme panic attacks and damn near agoraphobia. It did help me, but five years later I had to finally cut the ties. I have experienced the electrical shock type feelings in my head that I call "buzzing." I have had itchy, tired eyes, confusion of thoughts, sort of a slow feeling where I'm just not up to my normal speed. Tiredness, muscle spasm or cramping of the legs and some light sensitivity. Nothing in extreme, thank God. The buzzing in my head seemed to last about six days. I noticed that when I drank coffee it seemed to ease it, maybe the caffeine? I'm not sure but it did help. The longest problem so far is the eye irritation and some confusion or stammering of speech. Before I stopped the drug I was very quick thinking and enunciated my words well, but seem to have to work at it now. Hopefully the remaining symptoms will eventually subside but I wanted to add my comments here as well as all of you incase it can help one person. I wish all of you the best in your fight and hope we can all eventually overcome the problematic withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms associated with this drug. God bless.  
I went off Paxil 4 days ago and the side effects are not worth it.  I have thrown up, had severe headaches, dizziness and nausea.  I can move.  there are hot and cold spells/electrical shocks.  The lights and sounds are so loud that I can not leave my bed.  I've even have suicidal thoughts, extreme mood swings and crying spells. I am a complete mess.  When will this end?
I have been on Paxil for 10 years almost and it has helped me lead a pretty normal life. My doctor did have me go off of it when i was 20wks pregnant with my 3rd child because it changed to a different category & wasn't safe to take during the first trimester. Well i crashed and ended up in the ER just shaking and diarehea. Plus i felt like i was gonna die! They said paxil won't do that but it did! I know no one wants to be on any medication but it does really help me and i would never think of going off of it again! It is a chemical inbalance and needs to be treated with medicine...just like if you have diabetes! all the talking to therapists will only help so much! So to everyone out there wether its paxil or zoloft or whatever don't worry about having to go off of it because the truth is you shouldn't!
I was on 20mg of Paxil for a bout 12 years for depression but after so many years it seemed to be making me feel worse so I decided to stop taking it. You really have to wean yourself off this stuff - it took me months of cracking the pills in half then to skipping days and then none. I did have some withdrawals but nearly as bad as some you who have posted. Its a long process but if you do it really slow it can work. Due to a tragedy in my family which caused me to start having panic attacks and anxiety my Doc. put me back on Paxil. Paxil cr 1st which after 5 days made me feel worse so 4 days later back to regular paxil. I have taken 10mg for 4 days and remembering all the side effects (no sex drive, weight gain, withdrawals) and reading all these posts -I am not going to continue with it. Sure maybe it helps some people but the side effects are not worth it for me. When I got off paxil the fist time I said I'd never take it again so here I am and totally on the fence as what to do. The 1st time I took it I didn't have any starting side effects - this time I'm dizzy, tired but not sleeping well and I feel like my eyes can't focus.
I'm off the big P for a few days after a weaning process. So glad to run into this string of posts. Now I know what is happening. That makes a HUGE difference. I know I'll make it now. I'll never go back on it. NEVER!
Hi, I ended up on this website because I want to find out what kind of side effects other people experienced when weaning off of paxil. I've been taking Paxil (20mg) for a year now. I'm not going to lie, I love Paxil because it definitely helped eliminate my anxiety accompanied with the shortness of breathe and chest pain. I am now 24 and I never in my life thought that I would go through what I went through. After being trapped in an abusive relationship, Paxil saved me from losing myself. My doctor did tell me though that when I feel ready to get off of it, "don't stop it cold turkey" because I can get panic attacks and other side effects. A couple weeks ago, I decided to wean myself from it so I just took 10 mg of paxil instead of the usual 20mg. I have been really moody here lately and i get really angry at them. I don't want to be this person now. I like the way paxil made me feel. I felt like a normal human being on it or I should say better because I was more outspoken with people around me. It also had helped me with my social anxiety in school. My reasons why I want to stop the Paxil is because it makes me really tired the next day since I take it before bed. I take it at bedtime because it makes me drowsy and helps me fall asleep fast since I wonder a lot at night and worry about things. Also, it gave me a lot of pimples specifically on my forehead and they never go away even if I washed my face twice or three times a day. I even used all kinds of acne medication and nothing works. I am thinking maybe from not having orgasm for a long time since Paxil disable sexual desires. I don't know but tonight is the 2nd night taking only 5 mg, I feel horrible and started feeling depressed with suicidal thoughts. I don't necessary want to kill myself of course but I just thought of it. Then, I realized what the hell was I thinking and why in the hell would I feel this way? I actually just got up from bed to drink a glass of water and my head felt a bit light and dizzy then I got scared because I felt like I could fall anytime when I was walking to the kitchen across my room. I never felt like this in my entire life so I know for a fact that these are the withdrawals from Paxil. I just now took 10 mg because I'm afraid to feel like this when I take my exam in Microbiology class. I have an appointment this wednesday and I'm hoping to get answers from my doctor about what to do. Good luck to all of you!
Thank you!!!! OMG LAUGHED SO HARD AFTER CRYING!!! :) I'm not crazy!! Im on the drug from hell too...Paxil 30 mg...I forget to take it some days...when I do I feel this weird swoosh in my head and ears when I turn my head, nauseau, blackouts, headaches, nausea, emotional, angry you name it and this is 2011 and Paxil is still being prescribed and we are stupid enough to take it...Ive read so much IM NOT ALONE!!!!!! Thank you for your post and humor I needed that sooooooo much!!!!
I feel so sick, when i walk its like lighting bolts in my brain i feel sick to stomach, and very tired...what can i do???????
I hate this medication so much I've decided to randomly post something about it.

I was on SSRIs and their predecessors for 10 years of my life due to OCD, and Paxil was unlike any of them. The side effects weren't subtle by any means. I was having myoclonic jerks every few seconds and I would get strange waves of electrical sensations up and down my body when I laid down...not all that disturbing but quite unusual! It gave me a voracious appetite and though I had been on a strict diet at the time and didn't waiver from it, I obsessed about food and would count the minutes until my next meal. I now know how people with Prader Willi feel.

After I determined the medication was generally making me feel like crap and not working, I stopped taking it. This wasn't a problem until 5 minutes after the time I was supposed to take it the next day, where I suddenly started to feel sick and then spontaneously vomited.This wasn't really unlike the other times I didn't take it RIGHT ON TIME, and then spontaneously vomited, except for the fact that that this time I intentionally didn't take it.

For the next three weeks I had the "stomach flu" with nausea, a headache, low grade fever and the occasional vomiting, and I had no idea why. My mother started to insist it was the medication, but this didn't make sense to me because I hadn't taken it for three weeks. Eventually she called my psychiatrist though and he concurred....apparently he had some inside info on this or something because the drug companies were still insisting Paxil didn't have withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.

I was skeptical but he eventually got me to go back on this crap and over the course of a few weeks, he slowly weened me off.

If that stuff helps you, great, a small number of people think it's the best thing that ever happened to them, but I will forever associate it with spontaneous projectile vomiting.
I have been on Paxil for 16 years. I suffered with panic and anxiety off and on for 30 years. I usually delt with anxiety on my own with the exception of going to therapy a couple of times for a few months. This helped alot.

About 16 years ago, I had a panic attack that I just couldnt shake off. After about a month of hell, I decided to see a psychitrist. He immediately recommended Paxil. He said i suffered from GAD and that instead of taking months to get rid of the anxiety, it would take weeks.

I reluctantly agreed to try this drug. I didnt like the side effects at first but as time went on they lessened. After about a month, I felt like myself again. I thought what a wonder drug. A couple of months after that, I decided to ween myself off off this drug. The withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms were terrible but tolerable for me.

When I would move my head I would see trails. I was lightheaded all the time and I feared anxiety would return so I went back on it. About 8 years later I decided I didnt need Paxil anymore. I weened off on my own and was completely free of it without sideeffects. However, about a month after going off of it, I had one of the worse panic attacks ever. I decided after that to go back on paxil becasue I probably need it.

Since then, I have brought myself down to a dose as low as 10 mg/day. I do this through my family doctor (havent been to the psych for 16 years). When anxiety shows its ugly head, I slowly increase my dosage 10 mg/week until I am up to 40 mg/day.

I hope this information helps someone. People respond to medication differently. I look at it this way. My body chemistry is lacking something that causes anxiety. I may have to stay on this drug for the remainder of my life. The weight gain issue are true (in a 16 year period I went from 180 to 200 lbs) But most people my age experience that anyway.

Sorry to get long winded but detailed information on matters like this are important. I do agree with most people that doctors just are too free to hand out scripts without looking into side effects etc. And drug companies just worry about their bottom line.
be careful with Kava Kava.....the studies are not in-depth enough and there is evidence that it could effect your liver.  The latest reports I have read suggest that if you do not have underlying liver problems, you should be safe taking the Kava Kava for 6 months or less.
the withdrawal symptoms will eventually end.  All you can do for her right now is to support her.  I don't envy you having to deal with this.....my fiance is having to deal with the same thing and I feel guilty about that.  Read as much as you can about the withdrawal so that you can fully understand how little control she has over it.  Good luck to you both.....it's a terrible thing that is tearing relationships apart and wreaking havoc on almost every relationship.
I also had the side of the face aching, pressure, tingling in the cheek. I felt like crying. The doctor said it was not related to the axil withdrawal, but it has finally stopped. Advil and tylenol did not help. I switched from 10 mg. paxil (10 years) one day to 25 zoloft. This pain lasted 4 days.

Also, when I tried to go off Paxil several years ago, had burning in my mouth for 5 days, felt like my mouth was on fire.
I to was perscribed paxil for night sweats, hot flashes, and to wean me off of HRT. Not once did my doctor mention side effects of stopping the paxil. I stopped five days ago and didn't notice any symptoms until this morning, dizziness, nausea, can't think clearly, so I looked up with drawal from paxil. HOLY CRAP! I am going to try meclazine (travel sickness pills) for the dizziness, my husband uses it for vertigo. I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time, I was on 10 mg. Paxil for about 8 months.Does anyone  know how long these symptoms last? I've read several  of the posts but didn't find that answer.
This is me! I had no idea that all the vertigo, loss of balalnce, motor skills, comprehension and some vision, out of no where rage and crying jags, jerking motions of my head and other body parts and pains was because I stopped taking my Paxil. I could not get a refill because my gp who prescribed it wanted to see me first. Problem is I am on state health insurance and getting an appt at the clinic can take weeks sometimes months. I started feeling agitated and itches from my head to my toes, even broke out in sores and got a head fog and vertigo so bad I couldn't stand it. I went to urgent care and the Dr there said it is most likely my blood sugar was too high (I'm a diabetic) problem there is I knew my sugar was great because I had eliminated all grains from my diet 3 weeks prior and my sugar had been normal. She said I was fine and gave me an anti itch cream and cephalexine antibiotics "just incase" I had dome kind of infection going on somewhere. She was condescending and rude and treated me like I was nuts. Knowing I was not imagining all of this I started researching and find out all that I am going through could be related to this drug?!!! How can the Dr or even the pharmacists allow this to happen to me?!!!! My family thinks I am just totally nuts too because the Dr said I'm fine. I AM NOT FINE! I am extremely angry too that is for sure. Now what? I do not know what to do.
Please dont assume that refill costs are the reason behind stopping abruptly. My generic 90 day script is only $9, which is $3 dollars less than my Xanax. For $12 dollars I could have my meds (though I am through with Paxil, it did nothing for my anxiety), however my Doctor wants an office visit to the tune of $92 every 3 months in order to have refills written. That is what I am unable to afford.
I started taking Paxil 1 1/2 year ago when I lost my brother and my anxiety was through the roof. It  worked very well and helped me in so many ways.. BUT, when I realized that my weight gain  and hair loss ( nor to mention completely diminished labido) I decided to wean myself off.
This is HELL!!! II regret ever taking Paxil and woulnt recomend it to anyone.  I have vertigo, dizziness and what feels like electric shocks throu out my body any time I move around. When I turn my head the dizziness gets worse. I started taking the drug for anxiety and now that ive stopped taking it, I have worse anxiety AND depression. Im sevearly emotional at times. (which is not me at all). I have so much anger!! I feel like im grieving all over again for the loss of my brother. I cant concentrate or focus. Making stupid mistakes at work.
I am going to stay strong and tough it out. I will not go back to this drug and then have to do this all over. Its nice to know there is an end to this misery.
Just want to post a note about kava.  Only five people were found to have liver disease.  One was using enough of it to drown in, so that doesn't count.  The only four were all using standardized kava.  As far as I know, there is no record of liver disease in the islands where kava is native to and where people drink an extract of it daily.  Meaning, when we pharmaceuticalize herbs, we have to start all over again learning about safety.
Before Paxil I had mild depression and occasional anxiety. My marriage was suffering and my therapist (during my marriage counseling session) suggested that I may be clinically depressed and thought I might benefit from seeing a Psychiatrist and getting on an antidepressant. I have been on 20mg of Paxil for 10 weeks... Before Paxil I fought hard to lose 70 pounds. Since I started taking Paxil I have gained almost 15 pounds. Also, my doc requires me to see him every two weeks and I can't afford to keep this up. I can't just sit back and allow myself to gain all the weight back and I can't put my family in the poor house with all these doctor visits. I stopped taking it 3 days ago, I spent most of today crying off and on and I have some nausea... I googled Paxil Withdrawal and came upon this thread. I know everyone is different, but would it be safe to say that these symptoms are worse for people who were on it longer? How long do the withdrawal symptoms generally last?
I started taking this drug around a year ago,  I had read alot about it and like most people, I said it " that won't happen to me " wrong I read all the comments on here and they sound like my own story told by different people. I am 5 days off and it seems to get better.  I have only read one case not on here,  but I had to have a in depth physical performed this last week that  My blood work came back basicly saying I may have leukemia!  Not good. I read that this drug can also affect your blood as well.  I hope I am one of the cases that this has happened too and not blood cancer . I had to go back and have another blood draw to see if I need to go to a specialist.  I have noticed that after I started taking this drug my blood pressure started to slowly creep up. I will report back as soon as I get results etc.. so if you are able to get off this drug , run away from and never look back.  Its created more problems than its solved!  I couldn't sleep so that's why I am on here typing my story
Good night

JR.  
I was on Paxil for about seven years, ending up with a dosage of 75 mg a day.  About a year ago I worked with my doctor to slowly wean off over a period of several months. I had gotten down to taking 10 mg every other day when I had two nightmares in one week that woke me up screaming. I went back on 20 mg a day for about a year, then recently tapered off to 10 mg every third day, and finally stopped completely about 10 days ago. I am still taking 150 mg of generic Wellbutrin daily.
.
I have not had nightmares, but my dreams are very vivid.  I get enraged over things that never used to bother me.  It seems I am either constantly angry or crying. I feel overwhelmed and unable to think clearly.  I've been having the zaps, the nausea, and the dizziness. I'm also having a strange sensation that seems to involve my eyes, ears and brain. It's a ringing, buzzing vibration that is like some sort of spasm. It only lasts a second.

I suspected that I was experiencing Paxil withdrawal, and found this community while searching the web. Although it is comforting to know I am not alone, I am seriously concerned about the duration of the withdrawal symptoms and the possibility that they may never completely subside and/or that I've suffered permanent damage from the drug.

I already take krill oil and will increase my daily intake. I'm also going to try St. John's Wort and discontinue the Wellbutrin.  Hopefully I can then lose about 30 pounds and also get rid of my hypertension meds.  Our Native Americans and the ancient Chinese knew what they were doing with natural remedies provided by nature. The pharmaceutical companies are killing us.
I have been taking paxil 25mg for the last 6 years...I just stared to take half dose (12.5mg) on sept 1st. By the 5th, I started having withdrawal symptoms. It is NOT fun. I seem to have gotten what everyone is calling "flu" like symptoms and that "fog" in my head.  Today is day 3 of symptoms which are only slightly better...I have started taking 2000mcg of vitamin B-12 because I've had heard it can help. Cant say for sure yet though, but I figure it cant hurt. This definitely ***** but like they say, everyone is different. My advice would be to just go very slow.  Maybe go 25 percent at first instead of 50 percent like I did. I am going to stay on this dose for at least 6 weeks and see how I feel before I go down more..Hope this helps some..  
I am very confused.  I just wanted to know more about Paxil and I found this site.  What I don't understand, and no one seems to have addressed, is why you want to get off Paxil?
I started Paxil many years ago as my doctor thought my sleep pattern was a sign of depression.  I woke up every hour, looked at the clock and turned over and went back to sleep.  I found the funny because I am a happy cheerful person.  She said happiness is not an indicator of absence of depression.
What was scaring me was my short term memory lapses.  Everyone just liked to joke about "Old timer’s disease" but I didn't find it funny.  I knew my career was going to be jeopardized.  I found it amazing that my boyfriend could remember things like account numbers and passwords.  On Paxil I started remembering those and people’s addresses and phone numbers.  I remember exactly where I put things and how much they cost.
Paxil did change my sleep pattern and I have a great ability to remember smallest details.  I have vivid dreams and most of them are enjoyable; some reflect the frustration I may be having in real time but none are frightening.  I have not been in a sexual relationship for 5 years but have a very active sex life in my dreams. (I’m also very old)
I had for years suffered with Jerky muscle syndrome and Paxil has not affected this one way or the other.
I live in Central America and a couple of times I have not received my prescriptions in a timely manner.  And yes, in one case I stopped cold turkey and another one I figured how long they had to last and paced myself.  These two times my adult daughter just happened to be with me and she said I was “snappy” and begged me to get back on the pills.  What I noticed was my inability to think straight.
I would not give this up for the world.  I don’t see the reasons others are stopping.
First of all, you're addicted to the drug -- you probably, from what you describe, had no reason to be put on it in the first place, but once you were on it you had some benefit and have stayed on it.  If it works for you, fine, but you realize you're probably only taking the drug because stopping is too hard.  The reason I stopped is the side effects got worse and I didn't know at the time, because nobody ever told me, that stopping Paxil can ruin your life.  Psychiatrists seldom tell us the costs of what we take, and seldom know how to deal with it when the drugs go bad.  Another reason is, often, a drug stops working.  Another is, none of these drugs was ever intended or approved or tested for long-term use; they were all approved as a bridge to effective therapy that cured the problem.  Some people get to that point, and medical theory is that once you no longer need a drug, given they all have side effects and are liver toxic to some extent, you should stop taking it.  So there are many reasons people stop taking a drug, and they are supposed to be stopped as they were not approved or tested for long-term use.  It is now believed that long-term use can cause permanent changes in the brain's ability to return to normal functioning after taking one of these meds for a long time.  In your case, you just keep taking it whether you need it or not.  Which is your choice, but you are you and not anyone else.
I weaned myself off Paxil and went to the ER Monday for such dizziness that I nearly passed out.  They did an EEG and put me on Dilantin.  They said I have been having seizures for years and that it was not withdrawls from the Paxil.  Any comments would be appreciated.
This sounds like Paxil withdrawal to me, not a seizure, but I'm not a doctor.  Almost everyone on Paxil has withdrawal problems of some kind from it.  Discuss this with your doctor -- did they find anything on the EEG?  Are you still suffering odd sensations and perhaps increased emotional distress?  In other words, things that aren't seizure symptoms.  You might want to get a second opinion if you feel the docs aren't listening to you.  Is it true you get seizures?  You don't mention.  You also don't mention how long you took to taper off Paxil and whether you did it under the care of a knowledgeable psychiatrist -- sounds like you just did it yourself.  Doctors are mostly in denial about withdrawal, and they don't generally know how to treat it, so if you have doubts, pursue them so you can get appropriate treatment and not just end up on another drug unless that's what you really need. Good luck.
All the things you described are happening to me. I've been tapering off from 30mg for the past 4 weeks and the past three days havent taken any. I'm so sick I can't stand It. I have every single symptom you described and it makes me just want to take them again it's so awful. I just want to know how long the side effects lasted for you because it's been 3 days and i've been extremely sick, dizzy, can't eat, i've had crying episodes out of the blue and punched the screen of my phone last night and almost broke my pinky finger, for absolutely no reason. I can't even talk to anyone or focus without wanting to snap.
yeah im grateful 4 finding this site ive got all the symptoms and was getting scared thought something was really wrong with me like my heart but ive read all ur peoples symptoms and it has put me at ease thank u all hope u all get better
I am currently going through this HELL you speak of. I was taking 40 mg of Paxil a day and my doc stopped me suddenly. Needless to say I am a absolute mess and very close to signing myself into a hospital. It's day 6 now and it is just getting worse by the hour. I am so scared :(
FINALLY, I have a description of what is happening to me. I KNEW it was the Paxil withdrawal that was causing these freakish "electric zaps" as you call it. I've tried to wean myself off before only to have those "zaps" come back like clockwork, EVERYTIME. I tried to explain it to my new doctor but she didn't understand what i was saying. She told me it was probably just fluid behind my ears. This is NOT dizziness, these are like shocks or spasms that cause more than mere dizziness, they feel like almost going in an out of consciousness and cause severe numbness down both my arms all the way to my fingertips. This is in no way normal. I wish I had never started this horrible medication.
Hi, It seems that no one here has focused on any of the good things Paxil has done for them. When I was first diagnosed with dysthymia (a low grade of depression that starts in childhood and never really goes away) and then ADD my doctor sent me to a psychiatric doctor when I was at the point that I couldn't stand the anxiety, the panic attacks and the low self esteem anymore.
( I must say, I was working at a very successful profession at the time and no one had a clue what I was dealing with. I was at the top of my game and literally dying inside. I guess I learned to be a  pretty good actress.)

When I was finally diagnosed by my new doctor, he put me on Prozac and Ritalin.  It changed my life, until I couldn't afford it anymore. I can't say that I had any withdrawal symptoms at all.  I felt good for a long time and it just eventually seemed to wear off and eventually brought me back to the beginning.
It got harder and harder, even though I was very successful in my business life I was dying inside again.  I finally got into the position of having a drug plan again and immediately went to my doctor.  This time I was put on Paxil and Concerta.  Within a couple of months I truly felt well and more normal than I could ever have hoped for. It was amazing.  The company closed and I could no longer afford my meds.  Immediate withdrawl (withdrawal) again.  I swear I had no side effects. Once again, it just seemed to go away slowly.
Today, I am back on the Paxil and Concerta meds again and this time it isn't doing anything.  I am told that your body can become immune to these drugs. Seeing my doctor in 3 days, I'll keep you updated.
Cheers, Jude

To both you and anxiety guy. You both have valid opinions, I think what
's missing here is that were talking about medications that directly affect your brain function.  Everyone is different and we all will have different reactions.  We need to support each other, not argue
Jannie1, thank you for sharing your experience.  After 13 years of using Paxil, I am now slowly getting off of it. The first month was terrible because of dizziness, nausea, imbalance, headache, weakness, fatigue.  Yes I was also cantankerous and sensitive.  One time, I almost hit a car trying to avoid a shadow (I call them monsters).  When I saw your post, I told my husband, and he immediately ordered the St. John's Wort.  I take 300mg three times a day with meal.  It did help with the nausea and dizziness.  I am also taking 100mg of Turmeric Curcumin daily which is helping me with aches and pains.  This week, I am taking half dose of Paxil (10mg) every other day.  I'm hoping to be completely out of Paxil in mid-March.  
I am detoxing from Paxil 2nd time couldnt take it the first time went back on it to stop how I felt. Everything people say it true. The headaches, dizziness, disorienated feeling, sick to your stomach, stress feeling, migraines, everything is what I felt. I am doing it again lost my med. ins. so no choice. Cold turkeys where Im at. It's horrible.
I found that Excedrin migrane (migraine) helps, Motion eaze which is liquid u put behind ur ear lobe for car sickness. I also put a half of teas. of baking soda in a 1/2 cup of water and drank this for my stomach to help settle it down , It has helped SOOO MUCH . I am sharing this to try and help someone. I also took some muscal relaxer pills helped.
Its a tough road Im in my 3rd week w/out Paxil I have to do the things I said daily. If I dont use the Motion eaze and baking soda water and Excedrin Migraine everyday I would not function. It isnt a cure But I can drive, go to work, and survive my daily life. Before these things I could hardly get out of the bed, I wore sunglasses all the time because I thought my head was splitting open, and I would throw up too. I thought I was dieing at times because I felt so bad. All of these things I am doing can be bought at the store . They cant hurt you and w/out help from a doctor its a fix u can live with well at least I have been able too. I read all of these symptoms from everyone a week and a half ago I was in the same shape as everyone on here. So I started doing things that I used in the past. The motion sickness stuff was a fluke I seem this in my purse I carry it with me incase I get car sick. I thought how I feel now was kinda how I felt when I got car sick so I just tried it and to my surprise it was so quick to help my dizziness. The I felt like I was getting hurtburn and I always drink the soda/water for that for years I took it and it helped so much w/my withdrawls and excedrin migraine was suggested to me so I tried it and it helped to so all 3 of these things keep me going.
I hope u will try this let others know if it helps cause the Paxil withdrawls the worse Ive ever felt as others have so I hope it helps u to do this.
I had to share. GOOD LUCK all my fellow Paxil withdrawler friends :)
I just want to thank everyone for posting all of your experiences because I now don't feel like I'm going insane.
I was on 20mgs for TWELVE friggen years!!! Why a doctor would keep me on this for that long is beyond me, also I was scared to go off of it because I had suffered severe panic attacks before going on it. So I decided to go off of it, because I felt like it was time.
I met with a psychiatrist who first had me go down to 10mgs, and within a couple of days I started to have terrible headaches, light headedness, and terrible insomnia.
A month later, and as I write this I am now down to 5mgs, I take my last one tomorrow before going completely off. And I really feel like I'm in hell. TERRIBLE headaches and lightheadedness, depression(I feel like I could cry all the time), and I feel like I could just sleep and curl up into a ball.
I am a very active person and continually going to the gym 6 days a week, I believe I would be suicidal if I didn't work out.
From what I have read, is that Paxil amung the rest of the SSRI's has the worst withdrawal because it leaves your body faster than the others, and no matter how slow you wean, your body still will react and rather severely.
Ugh!!! I can not wait for this to end, and I am hoping to feel like a new person!!!
I have been on the max dosage of 60mg for 4 years due to panic disorder. About 6 months ago I dropped down to 40mg every other day. 4 months ago I dropped down to 20mg taking it every other day or until my ears would start to ring and I would take a 20mg pill. About 9-10 days ago I stopped completely. I'm having the side effects of not sleeping, crying for no reason, severe agitation, cold sweats, numbing hands and fingers, ringing in the ears, panic attacks ,burning skin,and zapping in my eyes when I move them fast. Oh and gas! Tremendous gas. Vomiting and poor bowl movements.
This ***** and sounds bad, but I'm gonna keep trying to push through it.
This is what helps me, staying busy, reading, chores, oh and the most important things the bible and Xanax.  I would normally take 1mg a day with the Paxil but now I'm taking at most 3mg a day. My doc wants me to take 3mg of Xanax a day anyway but I never have because I didn't need it.
I'm not ready to restart the Paxil and I think stopping 20mg cold turkey is a very poor idea, but like I said I'm around 10 days in and I'm gonna push through it.
Despite the physical side effects the worst thing is the agitation . I hate that my family is staying clear of me because of the aggression. I know when I get agitated I can control it by staying busy and placing my mind in a positive place.
I've read the post, and I know everyone's worst concern, it's the fear. Just talk about it with spouse, friends, or a trustworthy confidonte. Please people stay positive. That is the biggest thing. If you want to get off this ssir your gonna have side effects, face it that's just how it is. We can do it. I will post again to let you know how I'm feeling. I will say this. I feel like a man again, not a meek person, I'm 37 and my sex drive has increase so much, my appitite is lower and I don't eat as much, I'm losing weight, which is great for my ego. I will go through the side effects to get this out of my system LISTEN FOLKS WE CAN DO IT!
Do you think any of that could be a reoccurance of your anxiety symptoms that are now untreated?  
I'm also wondering if you can drop by 5 mg (need to get the 10 mg tabs) and that would slow the weaning and help reduce the side effects from clearing out the paxil from our system.  

Lots of luck to you, it isn't easy.
Well I'm up and it's after 3am. I slept most of the day( this is why I'm up now) my wife gave me 6mg of melatonin and it helped. I almost went to sleep but didn't because I had turned on the tv and started watching a show. I feel good. I have a lot to do tomorrow or today so I'm still in the mind set of not going back to the Paxil. I also took 1mg of Xanax around 4pm today but haven't felt the need to take anymore. My ear ringing is subsiding as well and I'm noticing the head zaps are dissipating too! Maybe I'm on the down side of this? Only time will tell. Once again I will say that I don't recommend trying to stop cold turkey at 20mg.

I do wonder if some of the panic I'm having is coming back and that the Paxil was masking it or I should say doing its job.

I looked in the medicine cabinet and I have 16 month supply of the Paxil left so I didn't take it as subscribed, which I knew I hadn't been, it's mind over matter, all in our head. I've set my mind to getting off this medication. I hope it works.

This is an old thread, but I looked because going off Paxil killed me forever.  Rare reaction, lucky me, but I'm not alone on this.  I just wanted to say, try the melatonin at 1mg and see if it works better.  Melatonin works better at lower doses.  They say fish oil helps, too.  About the panic, if it's the same as it was before you went on Paxil, it probably means it's no longer medicated and you didn't cure it in therapy so it's still there.  If it's different -- I have all kinds of problems I got when I went off Paxil I never had before I went on it -- then it's probably the Paxil withdrawal.  Most do get over this, but if you still have the panic disorder Paxil was treating, well, it still needs to be treated.  Good luck.
It could be some of the old panic returning.  That is certainly a possibility.  

I hope the weaning continues and in theory---  withdrawel side effects should absolutely lesson over time.  good luck
Back on Paxil! Couldn't take side-effects!

Thank you for your posts that helped me understand my paxil withdrawal is real.  I've been on the generic paroxotene for appr. 10 yrs.  I started weaning off in Jun 2012 from 20mg to 10mg thru doctors advice.  I stayed at that dose for 4 mos.  without any stress.   In Oct. i went to 5mg/day and started having the odd bout of dizziness and nausea, but nothing too extreme.  In January all hell broke loose when i went to 5mg every second day.  I had extreme dizziness, nausea and ended up in bed for almost 8 weeks.  I couldn't function; no cooking, no cleaning.  My family helped to look after me...i just basically got up to go to the washroom and shower.  I also had a severe case of diahrea for almost 4 days.  I was eating crackers and apple sauce for a week because i couldn't stomach any other food.  I was still bedridden when i continued with the reduction Feb 1, /13 i reduced again to 5mg every 3 days (still not doing well) but i was determined.  For 5-6 weeks more i felt like crap and was noticing that by the second day not taking a pill i felt better and felt worse taking one on the third day; so i completely stopped Mar 11/13 and gradually started to feel better and got outta bed.  I still am not 100 percent and the one thing that really bothers me thru this is my sense of smell and taste are very sensitive.  I don't like alot of toothpastes and soaps and foods that appeal one day gross me out the next...the one good thing to come of this is i quit smoking 3 months ago because i couldn't stand the smell or taste.   In my experience the only way to get off paxil is gradually and be patient and talk to your doctor consistently.
I came off of the highest dose of Paxil easily but my dr just switched me from Paxil to the highest dose of Zoloft. Zoloft is not near as addicting as Paxil but slightly addicting but they have the same properties.  I experienced bad headaches slight anxiety, slightly jittery but not bad.. The symptoms were not too bad but I know it would have been aweful going cold turkey. So I had mild symptoms but a few times it got moderately bad. The headache was the worse. Plus feeling a little more anxious then usual. I would recommend if you are going cold turkey then switch to 200 mg Zoloft or wean off Paxil at a very slow rate and then switch to Zoloft to counter any small withdrawals and then from there, wean off of Zoloft.
As to the above, switching before tapering off to a very low dose isn't probably a good idea, as you don't know which problems are withdrawal and which are from the new med, and since no two meds are the same they really don't substitute for one another.  The only drug listed in protocols to switch to at the end of a taper is Prozac, because it leaves the body much more slowly than other ssrs, while Zoloft also leaves the body quickly and can have pretty bad withdrawals as well, so I don't think this would work well generally.  Glad it worked for the poster, however.
I was just prescribed Paxil to treat my Anxiety, PMS and social problems..needless to say I haven't taken any yet and THANK GOD I did my research before hand!!! WHY ON EARTH is this medicine still being prescribed?? Ive been sitting here reading everyones horrible withdrawl (withdrawal) stories OMG!! Id much rather just have feelings of shortness of breath (anxiety) be a total ***** to everyone around me (pms) and just stay home when everyone wants to go out (social) I am sooooo sorry that all of you are experiencing these horrible side effects due to this EVIL DRUG!! Guess what im going to do tomorrow..im going to print this entire forum..and bring it to the DR and watch him read it..then afterwards ask him WTF he was thinking!!! Good Luck to all of you who are still fighting this thing!!
Gee, you should see the actual horror story sites!  This forum is a piece of cake!  But don't be so quick to ban a medication.  If you've tried everything else and you're life is unliveable, Paxil might be the only thing that helps.  But I think most thinking people today would use it as a last resort drug.  Unfortunately, the doctor we see may not be one of the thinking people.  There are methods that don't use medication, so you're not left with nothing -- PMS is a hormonal problem, and my own opinion is that the use of antidepressants to treat it are just ways to sell more drugs given that none of the drugs for mental illness can do anything for hormonal imbalances.  Natural medicine has proved very helpful on this issue for many people.  As to the other stuff, therapy and lifestyle changes do help some people, so don't just assume there's nothing you can do short of taking Paxil!
Coming off of Paxil now...way too quickly, but it seems that with me, this is the only way that it is ever going to happen.

It can be described as an "other worldly" experience, to say the least. The ringing in my ears never ceases. What it does do however, is range from low and steady to punctuated moments of heightened intensity.

Today, driving a very familiar route, I find myself disorientated and turned around heading away from the location I am trying to get to.

The vertigo ranges from somewhat unpleasant to absolutely disorienting.

What feels better than anything is laying in a bathtub full of cold water.

This is day 3 of the excitement...not looking forward to the nausea of day 4.
I am having all of the same problems. I have been taking Paxil now for 5 yrs.  I have tried so many times to go off but cannot because the side effects are so BAD.   The swimming head and nausea feeling.  It is pure hell.
I have been on Paxil, or Aropax as it is called in Australia, for 10 years, prescribed for anxiety. Going on was hell, I had all the symptoms above but the doctor told me it was my anxiety not the drug. He suggested increasing the dosage from 20mg to 40mg, which I did. It was terrifying and I constantly thought of killing myself.
After a year and another failed relationship, putting on 20 kilo's in weight and with no libido I decided to taper off. The experience was horrifying but I persisted, I took a month of work and after about three months I felt a little more normal. But the panic attacks returned worse than ever, I was dizzy all the time, suffered from rashes and terrible terrible headaches. I went to the doctor and suprise suprise I found myself back on Paxil. So 10 years down the track, my employer is ready to sack me, me children disown me and my friends are sick of me. I've decided to taper off again. I am going to go camping away from all the pressures and try to get off this horror of a drug.

My doctor says there are no withdrawal symptoms, it's just my 'condition' returning, but I know that isn't the truth.
Don't do this with this doctor.  He's a quack.  Everybody knows about Paxil by now, after all the lawsuits and publicity going back over a decade.  You need to taper off with someone who isn't a fool.
Thank you Sue!!!  I have been on Paxil (generic, 20 mg/day) for 10 yrs.  I have decided to get off of it b/c of the side effects (sexual, weight gain, tiredness, etc).  My doctor (GP who does not really approve of or understand antidepressants, etc) suggested taking 1/2 a pill for 10 days & then 1/2 a pill every other day for 10 days.  Today marks my very last day taking any Paxil @ all.  What I have experienced has really come on within the past 5 days or so & it has all been physical.  I am generally nauseated several times a day and have a mild but "sick" headache.  I generally take n Advil or 2 about 2-3 times a day & lie down quite a bit, napping.  I feel like a have a hangover everyday and the motion sickness description is so accurate!  I am glad to know that this is all normal but am wondering if anybody has an idea as to how long this will go on?  It is a mixed blessing that I am unemployed right now b/c I don't think I could work through a whole day w/out resting, making bathroom trips, etc.  Good luck to all!!
I'm not Sue, and because this is a really old thread you might not get any answers.  Might want to start a new one.  I will say that doing this with a GP wasn't your best idea ever -- they don't have much experience with this.  Most psychiatrists are clueless as well, but there are some good ones who do know how to do this carefully.  Your tapering down was probably much too quick for this drug, but hopefully what you have is all you get.  It's often called the Paxil flu.  But if it turns much worse, or gets to emotional stuff, see a good psychiatrist and taper off more slowly.  How long it lasts is different for everyone -- some swim through, some don't.  I'd be careful with the Advil, though, if you have stomach issues  -- it might not be a problem for you, but it causes stomach problems in a lot of people.  Ginger tea might help with the nausea.  People have reported good results from taking healthy amounts of fish oil.  Hopefully this will pass soon, but again, if it worsens or lasts a while it might be worth your while to see someone better versed in this difficult drug and see about tapering off it much more slowly -- after ten years, I'd think an experienced psychiatrist, which means not your average clown that most of us see, would take months to taper you off this drug.  But as I say, so far you're actually doing quite well and hopefully this will be all you suffer.
Hey Paxiled, im sorry to hear that you experience symptoms till this day as a result of paxil. I've just recently been through hell after a cold turkey w/d attempt (recommended by my doctor) after i passed out due to too quick a taper, after being on paxil for 3 years. Im back on 10mg/day and stabilising.

What are the symptoms that have persisted since you've stopped paxil? How long were you on and what for? Are you on any meds at the moment?
I was prescribed paxil for chronic pain

Regards,
Mo
This is why you do this with a good psychiatrist you've vetted yourself, not a regular doc.  As for me, forget me -- hopefully I'm a rare case, though who knows, nobody's counting -- better to just focus on your own case.  Peace.
I have all the same if I miss two days because I can't afford a refil or forget they come right away and progressively worsen to the point I can't even turn my head with out almost passing out! Longest I had to go without is a week and it was hell and it just got worse everyday. It helped me with depression and I didn't gain weight in fact with diet and excersise I lost 70 pounds so far. But I don't know how I'd ever get off when I need to.
I was in 50mg paxil a day for about a year and  then wean myself down to 15mg over the last 6 months. I had side effects but got passed them to get down to 15mg. I would like to get off Paxil completely, but when I go from 15 mg to 10mg the side effects are headaches, head buzz, and moodiness to anger.  How long will this last?  I have decided to go back up to 15mg and then very slowly down to 10mg to 5mg to 0 ,by just shaving a little of the tablet over time. This withdrawals are awful. How long do withdrawals last?  
This is exactly what I am going through!  I feel like I need to go to the hospital!  I just recently moved to Florida and I don't have a doctor so I am going to have to go to a clinic to get back on my Paxil.  It has been 3 weeks since I have had it and I have been taking it for 20 years!  I feel horrible and I don't know what to do!  Any suggestions would be so very appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Patty
First, you need a psychiatrist, not just a doctor, and one who really knows how to do this properly.  20 years is a long, long time, and it's likely going to take a long taper to get off it, though everyone's different and some just slide right through it.  Very few doctors, and even few psychiatrists bother to learn how tough these drugs are to stop taking and how to properly do it, so you need to interrogate them before you do this to make sure they take it seriously and will be there for you.  So since you're going back on the Paxil, if you still want to quit, you need someone who can really guide you carefully through it.  As this post is quite old, you might want to start a new thread to get more answers.
Now in third week of Paroxetine (generic Paxil) withdrawal.  Thank you all for the info and words of encouragement.  Been taking this drug for 20 years.  I've tried several times to get off it, but, just as many of you have described, went back on because the side effects were unbearable.  Have tried gradual weaning but this time is cold turkey after a very long period of reduction to 10 mg.  My symptoms are so similar to many listed here, that just knowing others are experiencing this helps me get through.  Side effects are intermittent, some days not bad, some days terrible.  Massive headaches-some of them migraines, extreme morning diarrhea, crying very often for no reason, head 'rushes' especially with rapid eye movement, periodic nausea (especially when brushing my teeth-how weird is that?), some dizziness when I'm standing-noticed most often whenI am outside and have to close my eyes because the light is soooo  blinding.  I desperately want to stay off this drug but totally understand any person going back on to alleviate these side effects.  Also, must mention insomnia and weird dreams.  Still have to get off the sleeping pills which are just as horribly addictive.  If any of you are considering these types of medication, please think twice, research everything you can find and do not trust a doctor to give you accurate information.  If any doctor has gone through what we are going through, would their conscience allow them to prescribe these horrible chemicals?  
My GP switched me from Zoloft to 10mg Paxil no more than a month ago.  And also said I needed to see a psychiatrist as he didn't feel qualified to address what was going on with me (previous depression, current anxiety).  I thought it was helping with my anxiety so he upped it to 20mg.  I started having "rage" episodes and made another appointment to see my GP. (Couldn't get into see a psychiatrist for 2 more weeks).  I went back down to 10mg on my own because I know you shouldn't quit anything like this cold turkey.  I only took the 20mg for about 7 days.  I would forget to take my 10mg and get extremely dizzy, lightheaded, agitated and irritable.  I missed another dose and had the worst day ever.  Luckily I only have one week before I see the psychiatrist.  I cannot live with these withdrawals as I am a stay at home mom to a 2 year old.  Keep in mind I haven't even been taking Paxil for a whole month!  Be careful when stopping this drug.  This forum has made me feel SOOO much better, not so alone.  I love my GP and respect him tremendously.  He has steered me in the right direction and done what he could for me but I don't think he realized the side effects of getting off Paxil.  Seeing a psychiatrist and getting on a weening off plan is my next step.  Remember, a good doctor doesn't want you to become dependent, they want you to become independent.  
Missy1231984 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Moma_Cher commented on photo
Freedom46 commented on photo