Anxiety Community
SSRI and Tryptophan Interaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

SSRI and Tryptophan Interaction

My question is in regards to Celexa (Citalopram) and using protein shakes while working out.  Every protein shake appears to contain Tryptophan because it's an amino acid that is part of protein.  Everywhere I read, I see the DO NOT combine any SSRI and Tryptophan.  I even asked my pharmacist and she said not to consume any protein shake with your SSRI, for fear of serotonin syndrome.  Could you please shed some light on this and let me know if it's ok to take protein shakes while on Celexa.

My current dose is 40mg daily of Celexa.  

Most of the shakes that are out there contain anywhere from 300-400mg of Tryptophan per serving of 25mg protein.

Thanks,
Ryan
I don't know much about this, but since no one has responded I'll say: you should probably listen to your doctors advice and the warnings about mixing those two compounds. Maybe choose one over the other and find a replacement product. There are many other milkshakes/protiens that can do the same thing or better I imagine. Keefer is expensive but doesn't get healthier! Also, see if it is safe to take those conflicting compounds you are concerned with at separate times. Hope this helps.
ralph2014 commented on Staying Active with c...
31 mins ago
Ruthy55 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
gymdandee commented on Low-Fat or Low-Carboh...