Anxiety Community
Scared about elevated bloodwork level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Scared about elevated bloodwork level

Ok, I'm a total hypochondriac, and have been struggling with several nagging issues since I started working in August.  Currently I have had some (what I think might be) scattered petechiae for about 2 months (no more than 5-6 at a time).  I had bloodwork done at the time, which the doctor called and reported was normal.  I was given a referral to a dermatologist to figure out my spots.  I was seen for a UTI today, and got my records from my last visit for the derm.  My bloodwork values were all normal, except the MPV, which was elevated at 10.3.  With all other values normal, what could this mean?  I didn't realize this in the records until too late to call the doctor, and I'm reeeeeeally worried now.  Does anyone know what this means?  Surely if something looked too suspicious the doctor would have followed up, right?

Tags: bloodwork, MPV
If it is 'bad' doctor's offices usually follow up with you.  I know that health anxiety can be a huge pain in the butt and can really be hard to deal with sometimes, but can you call tomorrow morning when they open?  When I have blood work done, something is always out of whack somewhere, but I am still here and doing fine.  

I know it can be REALLY difficult to deal with, but you said you are a hypochondriac; have you sought help for that?  Talk therapy can really go a long way to learning about this pattern of thinking....keep us posted!
Thanks for the reply.  I figured that the doctor would have inquired further if anything looked overly suspicious.  The MCH value was at 31.0 PG, which was the high cutoff of the normal range, but I don't know if that matters.  Platelet count was 324, with the normal range being 150-450.  

The lesions appear mostly on my stomach and breasts (especially after exercise).  I occasionally get one on my leg, and I have a patch below my left knee which consists of clustered light pink spots, which get darker after a shower or bath, and has been there since February with no changes in appearance.

In her report the nurse practitioner wrote that the spots were eryth. macular lesions, NO petechiae.  In the office she verbally told me they could be petechiae, but if they were, it was likely due to the cold I had at the time and the fact that I work in a school and all of my clients were sick at the time.  I have still had a few on and off for that entire period.

I just worried because one website I was implied that a high MPV is an indicator of a developing problem with platelets.  I have had headaches frequently recently, and some slight fatigue, but it seems more likely that is due to anxiety, stress, hating my job, not consistently sleeping well, etc.  I'm going to see the dermatologist tomorrow even though I have no current lesions, and I'll inquire about another CBC at that time.
ash009 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
1 hr ago
ash009 Love is all, it gives all, ... Comment
1 hr ago
jenjen08 How is everyone doing... Ha... Comment
1 hr ago