Anxiety Community
Seperation Anxiety?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Seperation Anxiety?

I'm 20 years old and have moved away from home twice.  I came back home with in two weeks both times because I couldn't handle being away from familiar faces and places.  Is it even heard of to have seperation anxiety at my age?  What can I do to overcome my fear of being away from home?
Don't move away from home..
Well, it DOES seem a little old to have seperation anxiety at your age, but I suppose it's possible. Don't know if it would be called the same thing. Maybe you just got really "homesick?" Perhaps you just didn't give yourself the chance to settle in, meet new friends and get comfortable in your new surroundings. Two weeks isn't a very long time. You say that you just can't handle being away from familiar faces and places, and that can be hard for all of us. Moving to a new place where we don't know many, if any, people or how to get around can be a little disconcerting, but given adequate time and some effort on YOUR part, soon the new place WOULD contain "familiar faces and places."
There are only two things I can suggest to overcome this. One is to just suck it up and stick it out until you have made new friends and grown familiar with the place. Or get into some therapy to deal with it.
Do you WANT to overcome this? Guess you need to ask yourself that question first of all.
Good luck
Peace
Greenlydia  

I agree with lydia.  I think you were experiencing homesickness and bailed before you allowed yourself ample time to adjust.  Moving away is hard for EVERYONE. Its an adjustment process, and while we're adjusting, it can be very difficult.  The more we feel uncomfortable in our new surroundings, the more we miss the familiar surroundings that we know.  That's only normal.  Those feelings DO resolve, however, once you DO become familiar and more comfortable in your new home and your new location. 2 weeks was not nearly enough time.  Like lydia said...you have a few choices here...either try to "suck it up" amd try to stick it out longer, or perhaps seek some therapy to help you thru while you adjust.

Is moving away imperiative? Is it for your work? School?

Ruthy55 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
38 mins ago
jenjen08 uploaded a new photo
jenjen08 wow I haven't been on here ... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms