Anxiety Community
Taking Rhodiola with Celexa

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Taking Rhodiola with Celexa

I have reinstated Celexa 10mg after going through really bad withdrawal symptoms.  My doctor wants to add Rhodiola to the mix cause it has a synergistic effect and will help with my dooms day feelings and stress.  I will be taking half a 150mg pill and then moving up.  Is this okay?  I have read that its okay and that there are no interactions with other meds..and I have read other people say don't mix them and its a bad idea.  Maybe I can take the Rhodiola first after waking up and then Celexa a couple hours after that..Anyone have advice???
Rhodiola should be fine to take with an ssri.  It's an adaptogen that regulates the adrenals, though it does have some effects on neurotransmitters.  The one thing to watch out for is rhodiola can be very stimulating, so with anxiety sufferers it can cause more anxiety.  For others, it reduces it.  If it doesn't agree with you, ask your doctor about ashwagandha and eleuthero and American ginseng as alternative adaptogens that are less stimulating.  Also, fish oil is said to help with withdrawal as well, in a heft dose each day, and passionflower can also be of help to some if you're not on a benzo as well.  Ask your doc about these as well.  Good luck.
Thank you for the informative answer.  I take the Celexa for panic attacks and OCD so yes, I am an anxious person and withdrawal have made it 10x harder.  I was worried about taking it with Celexa cause supposedly Rhodiola helps you produce more serotonin and dopamine, so I was afraid of serotonin syndrome or becoming more depressed from too much serotonin.  I think Celexa is starting to work cause I am less erratic and not throwing tantrums while crying uncontrollably.  I have taken half capsule of Rhodiola already and don't notice anything yet,  do you think it would be wise to move up to the full capsule of 150mg in the morning.

If I do experience anxiousness, do you think a benzo would bring me down.  I was taking passionflower liquid everyday when I was going through the worst of my withdrawals but it didn't help, although I was only using it 10 drops under the tongue only at night cause night times were the worst..should I have used it 3 times a day?  When the passionflower didn't work for sleep or to calm down I would have to take a benzo right after.  

You seem to really know your stuff about this.  Have you tried these yourself..considering you are going through paxil withdrawal?  Thank you again.
Tinctures are best swallowed in water, not put under the tongue.  They need to be digested, they're not sublingual. Taking rhodiola with an ssri might be a problem, this should be discussed with a naturopath or a doctor who knows herbal medicine, but keep in mind most contraindications listed on herbal medications are theoretical given the lack of actual research and trials.  Nobody really knows exactly how a plant works; there are just too many different substances in plants.  If you look at some of the more well-known herbs such as St. John's Wort, you'll see that how it works has changed so many times, who knows if they have it right?  Originally, it was thought to be an MAO inhibitor, then it wasn't, now they say it affects serotonin, but again, who knows for sure?  Medication is studied by isolating one major ingredient and seeing if it works; plants are full of substances we don't understand.  You can tell by the names -- originally it was thought the active ingredient in St. John's Wort was hypericin, which is just derived from the Latin name of the plant, hypericum.  They just made up a name because we don't have the technology to understand the complexity of plants.  So when you combine plants with medication, you're always to an extent experimenting on yourself, but of course, you are whenever you take medication alone, too.  You thought this was an easy question, right?  
What would I say on my death bed, w...
14 mins ago by travel_melb
blabla96 commented on Genital Herpes Resear...
26 mins ago
travel_melb Ok day 22 let try to make t... Comment