Anxiety Community
Transitioning from Xanax to Ativan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Transitioning from Xanax to Ativan

After being on Xanax for a the last year for anxiety associated with ADD, my doctor and I decided to transition me off Xanax and on to Ativan. Xanax was just too heavy. It helped with anxiety but caused depression. I am one week into the transition process. I've reduced my daily in take of Xanax by 1/3 and started slowly with the Ativan. Some withdrawal symptoms crop up with taking less Xanax so I am being careful. My doctor's directions were "take it slow and just play with it". I didn't expect him to give me a precide "how to" pamphlet, but I'm looking for some coaching on what to expect and what I should be aware of as I proceed. I also take Wellbutrine and Dexedrine. Advice is welcomed. Thank you.
WOW - you take Wellbutrin and Dexedrine for your ADD? Interesting...

Just curious - did you have anxiety prior to taking dexedrine?

Re: the transition from Xanax to Ativan - how much Xanax were you taking? How much Ativan will you be taking?
I heard that Ativan is half as strong as xanex, so you will need twice as much ativan.  A good rule of thumb when reducing benzos is to not reduce more than 20% of your dose more than every 2 weeks.
I've been taking 3 mg of Xanax per day (2mg in am and another 1mg in the afternoon). I'll probably go on 4-6 mg of Ativan per day; I'd prefer 4 but my doctor said he'd prescribe 6mg per day and leave it to me. I've heard the same thing that Summer123 says about 2x Ativan = 1x Xanax, but I'll need to see how it works out.

The Wellbutrin / Dexedrine combo is odd I know; I'll tell you I am going right back on the non-generic Wellbutrin because those generics stink. I'll pay the extra money.

Thanks for responding......
Yes, I agree with you - many of the generics aren't as effective as the brand name. I found that to be true with Ambien - the generic didn't work so I immediately switched back to brand. In fact, my plan pays for brand name drugs, so I ask for brand for everything - xanax, ambien...I returned the unused amount back to my drug store the next day and made them apply my co-pay to the brand.

Funny about the dexedrine - I'm assuming that a psychiatrist is writing this script for you? My psych. asked if I wanted dexedrine when I was gaining too much weight on mirtazepine...and we're only talking about gaining 10 - 15 lbs.!!!  I couldn't believe it - talk about an addictive drug...reminds me of the speed freaks back in the 70's...

Please don't take any offense - I'm not directing the criticism to you...if it's effective, that's what's important.

I'm surprised that you're not considering something like Klonopin or Valium vs. Ativan. Are you taking it for GAD?

I hope that your transition goes smoothly with minimal side effects...
My psychiatrist has prescribing me Dexedrine for about 9 years now since I was first diagnosed with ADD as an adult. No offense taken at all. My ADD had always been accompanied by anxiety, so yes that is why I am taking the Ativan. The Xanax made me feel like a depressed, heavy brick. He mentioned Valium and Klonopin as possibilities, but suggested Ativan would be my best choice. Just curious, what characteristics of the other two make you surprised he suggested Ativan?

BTW, you are not alone in what you are going through with your withdrawal issues. You will make it through this - just hang in there. I send you peace.

Thanks for responding.
I always carry ativan in case ...but yesterday it did not work. I had the most severe attack in a long time and it broke through.  I ended up doubling up. I was really shocked and sad.
mele48 That burden you're carrying... Comment
21 mins ago
specialmom, and melimeli commented on melimeli's status
1 hr ago
melimeli So I've lost 28 lbs :) Comment
1 hr ago