Anxiety Community
Trembling of hands

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Trembling of hands

I don"t take alcohol  daily-but when I  start , I take it for  4 or 5 days, and when I stop taking it, my hands tremble-cant even write- even a glass shakes. -but when I take 2 or 3 pegs----the trembling stops. Does suddely stopping alcohol cause these trmbling of  hands. It stops in a day or two. Should I  stop consuming alcohol suddenly or should I stop itt gradually-lowering the amount to 2 or 3 pegs?  Kindly help me.. I can"t even eat for 2-3 days.  after 2-3 days I am Normal--no trembling & can eat normally.
The shaking is called delerium tremens. A very typical and common result of withdrawal from alcohol, as well as the inability to eat etc.
I would say definately- if you have to drink at all gradually cut it down- it can be extremely dangerous to just stop, and is not good for your body or mind.
Once you have got to the stage you discussed, I would seriously advise cutting out alcohol altogether if you can. Otherwise really lessen intake as much as possible. Stopping and starting is awful for your body. You could have alcoholic fits -which people frequently die from, even in medical surroundings. Be careful. No sudden stopping!
Your body sounds as though it is alcohol dependent, and reaches dependency very quickly again when you start again, which suggests that you have seriously damaged your liver (so it has problems breaking down things- like alcohol) and may be doing more and more damage to various organs. Thiamin -vitamin B compound would be highly advisable to take- helps keep the brain ok as alcohol messes up the intake and use of this in the body.
Maybe you could seek some further help or support- sounds like things could get worse if something doesn't change. Good luck!!!
I agree, it sounds like your body has become dependent on the daily dose of alcohol and the shaking is your body demanding more or....withdrawal.  This is a dangerous path for you to be on that only leads downwards.  You may be self-medicating to ease anxiety and/or depression, so this needs to be determined as well.  While easing off the alcohol you may want to seek therapy to determine why you want to drink and to help you cope with not drinking.  I hope this helps and best wishes!
melimeli commented on renae176's status
55 mins ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms