Anxiety Community
Wellbutrin xl 300 mg makes me edgy in the am

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I was prescribed wellbutrin xl 300 mg (after taking xl150 for quite a while) when my anxiety suddenly flared up due to stress. The 150 was prescribed because I was waking up with my heart feeling like it was going to beat out of my chest in the middle of the night over different things.  Right now  I feel good at night but when the morning comes I am so edgy.  I feel like jumping out of my skin and I can't stand that feeling.  I spend a lot of time breathing.  Why does it happen and does it matter if I take the dose at a different time...say in the morning versus at night?  Would I then be "edgy" when I was sleeping and not notice it?  I have klonopin to take but even on a half of klonopin...you feel like a zombie looking for a place to lay down so I kind of try to fight that and usually give in after a few hours and take a quarter of a mg.  Helps a little.  Then the other quarter about 3 hours later!  
Sounds like you are perhaps adjusting to the change in doses.  If it's been more than a couple of weeks, I would seek a med change.  Before adding long-term Klonopin to the mix I would try a different med like one of the SSRI's.  Wellbutrin can be a bit stimulating and many people have that edgy feeling while taking it.  I personally do take  Klonopin with my Celexa.  It's a great combo for me and it doesn't make me sleepy.
Thanks for answer Lynn.  It will be three weeks this coming Tuesday the 10th.  I have a lot of stress right now and sometimes I have "breakthroughs" of anxiety.  My mind is still going a million miles a minute when I am not busy.  I have been taking Klonopin to sleep for about a year.  Now I find that on Wellbutrin I cannot sleep past 2:00 am even when I take 1 mg of Klonopin.  Do you think I have waited long enough?  Thanks.  I successfully took Prozac many years ago and I had no problems.  
First of all Klonopin would be more beneficial for your sleep and anxiety if you were taking it in two doses a day.  Once a day doesn't doesn't give it a chance to reach steady state.  It may help you to fall asleep, but as you can see it doesn't stay with you.  I would think about an SSRI instead of the wellbutrin.
Oh, I did not know Klonopin was something you can reach a steady state on.  I am prescribed 2 mg a day.  Maybe I will take 1/2 mg in the am for a while, give the Wellbutrin 4 weeks to see if I am better, and still keep the 1 mg at night.  I cannot take 1 mg at work...it would be too dangerous for me as it does make me quite spacy and I don't want to get hurt on the job.  If I am not better after 4 weeks, then I will seek to be put on Prozac which I think I can take with Wellbutrin...get my prozac up and then start weaning off the wellbutrin.  My doctor prescribed wellbutrin because it had less side affects.  I could not take celexa...it disagreed with me.  But since my problem is really OCD and anxiety and not depression per se then perhaps I should be on a different SSRI.  Thanks for commenting...it makes me feel not so alone in the battle.  
Irisbritney commented on Irisbritney's status
50 mins ago
Kikster24 commented on Why You Might Have A ...
1 hr ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status