Anxiety Community
When you guys say you have anxiety for Years, does that mean..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Let's say, I've heard many people who said that they've had it for years, 5-15 years or sometimes even 20. By this, do you guys actually mean you have anxiety attacks almost everyday of those years? Or is it always on and off?
Have you guys ever had a year or several years being anxiety free? Or is the feeling constant and always there?

I've had Anxiety and Depression since February 2008. I've had it on and off. The first time I had it it lasted about a few months (on and off). Then based on the journal I have here in this website, on August 22nd I started making posts about anxiety again.. That was the last time I remember ever posting stuff on this website.. 1 1/2 year later (which is just last week), I started having my anxiety attack again.

During this time (August 22nd 2008 and Sept 4th 2010) I have only had about 3 anxiety attacks, and 1 panic attack. But I was able to shake them off very quickly, and they weren't as severe as when I first had it, or when I had it last week.

I'm still under the cycle right now as we're speaking, and I was just wondering how long usually does a cycle last? I'm feeling better as days go by but I still don't like this feeling..of emptiness, hopelessness, and fear of the incoming attacks. And for the first time in my life, this is the most depressed I've ever been. I lost all of my appetite and lost almost 10 pounds. (I'm talking about 4-5 days ago, when it was the worst).

I'm 18 now, I have never seek help before. Internet has always been a huge help for me because I learn so much about my disorder and there's such a large support group in it. I was very hopeless and almost gotten to a point where I almost considered using drugs.

Argh..help me please.. thanks in advance =)
Hi.  This can vary from person to person, but it's great that you have had the breaks you have!!  I think you would benefit greatly with therapy.  For your anxiety/depression to come and go like it does, with therapy you may be able to erase it totally.  You've done very well, and that's awesome!  I don't think anyone can say how long this will last as we're all so different when it comes to anxiety. Therapy can teach you coping skills, relaxation techniques, and deal with any unresolved issues that may be going on, which is often the cause of our depression/anxiety.  If your depression is worse and lasting longer, it may be time to see a psychiatrist so the two of you can determine what route of treatment would be best for you.  You're young, if you can nip this in the bud now, your future will be better.  I wish you all the best and take care!
Unfortunately, there's no answer to your question.  All of us suffer anxiety in different ways.  Some are anxious all the time, some just have phobias, some compulsions.  Some know a traumatic cause, some don't, for some it runs through their family, for others not.  And it can change over time if it isn't properly dealt with somehow in therapy or some other way, and again unfortunately that doesn't always work, either.  For some it comes on spontaneously and then disappears just as spontaneously.  People are very complicated -- we eat differently, sleep differently, some are depressed as well which is a rough combo, some aren't, some are exposed to neurotoxins and others may not be or may be and don't know it.  Very complicated.  I suffered from panic attacks for years, then had a bad reaction to quitting Paxil and ended up with severe depression and constant anxiety to go along with it.  So things can also change.  All you can do is try and deal with what may be bugging you or try and learn to challenge it and demystify it and hope it works -- trying to understand this disorder and its many manifestations or comparing notes to see if someone has the exact same manifestation is beyond the current state of science.  I'd say, don't think about cycles, though many with mental disorders do go through cycles, but the more productive thing is to deal with whatever is gong on if you can.  Good luck.
Sorry, left out a word.  Meant to say deal with whatever is going on now if you can.  Meaning, don't try to predict the future, and it'll probably turn out better.  Since you're improving, you're doing something right, so that's what I meant by now -- don't worry how we're doing, worry how you're doing, now, so you can get past it.  Amazing how leaving out a little word can change a meaning!
Yeah, I know.. but I'm just wondering you know.. because some people say they've had it for years (5-10), and I just wanna know what they mean by that..Like do they have it 24/7 day by day? Or would they have some breaks within months/years intervals like I do?
That's my main question right now and I hope you guys can give me some info about your experience! Thanks alot :)
And thanks for the replies too I appreciate it
Just from reading this website you can see the answers.  All of the possibilities you mention have been felt by someone on this site.  Just look in the archives and you'll see that every permutation you've mentioned is being experienced by someone.  
meegWpaw commented on Almost 8 months off S...
36 mins ago
Almost 8 months off Subutex !!!
1 hr ago by Amandag78
callum10 joined this community
Welcome them!