Anxiety Community
anxiety about my weight im very worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety about my weight im very worried

I know i have anxiety i have been diagnosed with 'manic anxiety' i basically have a fear of being sick which has recently started to cause me to not eat anything if i have to go out or meet someone. My mum said to me today i look very thin and ill should i be worried is this due to me sometimes not eating large amounts if i have to out or could there be another problem..

Thank you,
nick
Hey there!

I too have had very similar problems with my weight. I remember last summer when I first had anxiety attacks they freaked me out so bad *because I thought something was really wrong* and I stopped eating well. I only ate about 2 little meals a day and I remember I kept losing weight. Since then I've lost about 10 pounds. Anxiety does tend to make people lose weight due to being scared, stressed, and panicked which leads to loss of appetite.

You are suppose to consume around 2,500-3,000 calories a day. If not, then you'll see in time that you'll start losing weight.

Also, a good sleep and excercise is important as well.

Have you gone to the doctors? If you haven't then go so you can be at ease.

Hope this helps.

Take care, and hope you feel better!
When I was first diagnosed with anxiety/depression, I lost over 20 pounds..(which is a lot for a person who is only 5 feet tall!)  Once I got on my medication and the anxeity subsided the weight came back on..

If that doesn't happen and you are really concerned, I suggest talking to your doctor about an appetite enhancer....they have pills  (yes, more pills) that help stimulate your appetite.
How funny!  When I lost all the weight the only thing that I was able to eat was McDonalds!!!  Isn't that weird?  I didn't gain any weight either,because it went right through me when I did eat!!
I also have problems with anxiety and eating.  When I am worried I don't eat, thought of it makes me sick.  People are always like how do you stay so thin, I eat sooo unhealthy, the mcdonalds manager knows me by name ;) but I always say i am really high strung!  That is my diet.  I just worry all the time.  People usually and don't take me seriously but it is nice to see that you guys understand where I am coming from.

Sometimes you just got to make yourself eat.  But make sure you are taking vitimans too just in case you are not getting enough nutrition.  
If you eat less you lose weight.  It does not mean you have anything seriously, physically wrong with you (apart from anxiety).
Try to eat sloppy things like yoghurt, smoothies, Thai curries (nice and fatty).

I lose weight very easily when anxious but tend to stabilise at my lower weight ie i don't lose and lose and lose but I hate being so thin it hurts to sit. try protein shakes and if you are finding it difficult to function in your life, see a doctor.  There are some great medications these days, if they think you need something.  Hopefully you don't.
You should not stop eating!  A lack of nutrition in your diet may be one of the causes for your anxiety.  Continue to eat healthy and try exercising a few times a week if you don't already.  There are meds that you can try but I have never taken well to over the counter or precription meds.  I found some good info at the link below about symptoms and causes of anxiety that may be helpful, they also offer natural alternative sups you can try.  I hope this helps you!

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/anxiety.html
Nighthawk61 commented on So much ambition, so ...
Amandag78 commented on Amandag78's status
Amandag78 Is sick of withdrawaling fr... Comment