Anxiety Community
anxiety after minor surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety after minor surgery

I had laproscopic surgery to replace a ripped ligament in my knee I was awake initially but then after a bit went to sleep for the remainder of the surgery... Right after the surgery I was ok... but by a few days after the surgery I was distressed/anxious about what I might have said or done during the surgery and/or when I was waking up... during the couple of weeks after my recovery I was on pain medication and antibiotics when I slept I would dream that I was in surgery saying and or doing inappropriate things... since my memory was somewhat hazy from whatever they gave me in the hospital before/during the surgery... I'm not sure how much might be true... not to be gross but concerns such as... did I really pick my nose or scratch in an inappropriate place to scratch in the company of others... did I overshare completely irrelevant private information about my life ect... finally I just stopped taking the pain pills b/c I didn't seem to really sleep on them and just felt like I was in a stupper and I thought that maybe I just wasn't reacting well to them... after that I had a 3-4 week period where I just didn't sleep... barely 45 mins a night... I would sleep 10 mins then startle awake not realizing that I had been asleep... this would happen through the night and when I was awake trying to sleep I was just stressing about the surgery, not sleeping, and just my life ingeneral... which is actually not so bad... logically I knew I was being odd but the stressed/anxious emotions were just there regardless... I was very out of sorts and not myself I tried to explain it to the doctor but I didn't seem to be able to explain it well... I didn't want it to seem that I was just looking for attention... physically I recovered incredibly fast... much faster than it seems was expected... I was glad about that... I had expected and thought about the fact that the physical recovery might take time but was completely blindsided by the head issues I seemed to have to wade through... other info that might be relevent is that I had no history of depression, anxiety, sleep problems, or anything of that sort before the surgery in general I am a pretty together steady person... I'm ok now but I do sometimes think back about it and I wonder if what I have described something that is typical after such a minor surgery?  Do you think it might have been a weird reaction to the anestisia or medications? Any feed back would be appreciated.  I am curious if I should expect something like this in the future if I ever have to have surgery again.
No worries.....trust me, doctors and nurses have seen everthing!  

I am 38 and have had 9 surgeries, some were minor.  Most recently, I had open heart surgery and was pretty sick.  I thought I was prepared for this last one, but I don't think anyone can be.  Every doctor, nurse, family member, etc...saw me in pretty bad shape and on tons of morphine.  In my mind alterering condition, all I coud think of was what state was  I in? I didn't know where the hospital was....and of course I asked everyone.  That was the least embarrassing thing I did...There were many more.  So trust me, anything you might have done could not have been that bad:)

What pain medication were you taking?  I have taken all kinds of pain medication after surgeries and some of the things you experienced are similar to what I have experienced.  Especially the sleeping...it is very common for me to sleep and wake suddenly and just be in a drug stupper.  This obviously got better once off the meds and as the anestisia wears off.  It can also be depressing when you are not feeling 100%....don't be so hard on yourself.

I do have anxiety attacks,  generally when under lots of stress, which can be difficult to manage at times.  I am certainly not a doctor but it sounds as if many of the situations you experienced were not out of the norm.   I hope this helps somewhat!!  Take Care :)
Kimmy3000uk commented on I had no idea there w...
1 hr ago
Jade59 commented on photo
Amandag78 commented on photo