Anxiety Community
anxiety after minor surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

anxiety after minor surgery

I had laproscopic surgery to replace a ripped ligament in my knee I was awake initially but then after a bit went to sleep for the remainder of the surgery... Right after the surgery I was ok... but by a few days after the surgery I was distressed/anxious about what I might have said or done during the surgery and/or when I was waking up... during the couple of weeks after my recovery I was on pain medication and antibiotics when I slept I would dream that I was in surgery saying and or doing inappropriate things... since my memory was somewhat hazy from whatever they gave me in the hospital before/during the surgery... I'm not sure how much might be true... not to be gross but concerns such as... did I really pick my nose or scratch in an inappropriate place to scratch in the company of others... did I overshare completely irrelevant private information about my life ect... finally I just stopped taking the pain pills b/c I didn't seem to really sleep on them and just felt like I was in a stupper and I thought that maybe I just wasn't reacting well to them... after that I had a 3-4 week period where I just didn't sleep... barely 45 mins a night... I would sleep 10 mins then startle awake not realizing that I had been asleep... this would happen through the night and when I was awake trying to sleep I was just stressing about the surgery, not sleeping, and just my life ingeneral... which is actually not so bad... logically I knew I was being odd but the stressed/anxious emotions were just there regardless... I was very out of sorts and not myself I tried to explain it to the doctor but I didn't seem to be able to explain it well... I didn't want it to seem that I was just looking for attention... physically I recovered incredibly fast... much faster than it seems was expected... I was glad about that... I had expected and thought about the fact that the physical recovery might take time but was completely blindsided by the head issues I seemed to have to wade through... other info that might be relevent is that I had no history of depression, anxiety, sleep problems, or anything of that sort before the surgery in general I am a pretty together steady person... I'm ok now but I do sometimes think back about it and I wonder if what I have described something that is typical after such a minor surgery?  Do you think it might have been a weird reaction to the anestisia or medications? Any feed back would be appreciated.  I am curious if I should expect something like this in the future if I ever have to have surgery again.