Anxiety Community
anxiety and swallowing

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

anxiety and swallowing

I have had GAD for 3 months and along with that came my swallowing problems.  It happend slowly over two weeks time before my anxiety was diagnosed. I cant swallow solid foods.  I try to eat soups and  I  have to chew every thing down to a liquid.  I drink boost and ensure but some times I cant even do that.  I have to go see an EMT doc next month.  I just want to know if any one else has this same problem with there GAD.  Please any advice for me would help,  Im hungry and would like to eat real food.  
well along with my anxiety i have trouble swallowing as well but it comes and goes but i can still eat solid foods
Anxiety can do a lot of things. I know when I'm having terrible anxiety, I can't eat... i lose appetite... but I try to make myself eat something... and if it's something i have to chew up alot and i swallow it, i feel like gagging... i dunno why....

it could be that when you are anxious, your throat might swell up a little bit from tension etc.

i know right now, im clenching my jaw a lot, causing tmj problems... my neck is sore and tight... and it *****... you dont realize how stress/anxiety can make so many different muscles contract etc.

good luck, and let us know how it goes. im sure you'll be fine! =)
me too, i have problems swallowing when im too anxious, what I do is eat little by little and slowly. Thats what has helped me.
I am having this same issue with GAD this moment.  Scared to death.  I havnt eaten in days and have tried everything, i just cant get that food past that thing that feels like a ball in the throat.  I am fatigued and weak and very worried.  No insurance and just lost my job and diagnosed with cancer all in the midst of very close family members dying.  I know my GAD has worsened from all this tis the cause of my swallowing/eating problem.  I am shedding 4 lbs a day and I am not a big girl to begin with (145lbs).  I know i need to seek medical attention if this does not let up soon.  I cant go a week without eating and thats close to what I have done.  I want to eat!!!!!
Hello everyone!
It is such a relief to read all of this as it is easy to think that it is just you or you are going nuts.
It is all very well knowing that it is down to extreme anxiety and/or depression but it seems to have such a strong hold on you that it is impossible to fight against it.
I do not want to depress anyone but I have suffered from this for twenty years.
Sometimes it is so bad that I have to liquidize EVERYTHING and I tend to live on yogurt or Slimfast shakes which is so boring as I really do feel hungry and want to eat but I just can't!
Obviously there are times when I can eat reasonably well but everytime I eat this fear of swallowing and choking totally overwhelms me and I simply cannot control it which is horrid.
I also find it hard to watch others eat as I literally shake and feel sick so life can certainly be difficult with this disorder and I just wish that it would go away as it is ruining my life.
Best wishes to all!
vhm55 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
refills commented on weaver71's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms