birth control pill causing anxiety/ depression??
I was just wondering if anyone has been on birth control pills and have suffered from anxiety or depression issues? I have been on the pill for 11yrs now and cant take how I am feeling anymore. I went on the pill for irregular periods, but since then I have been feeling blah, libido has decreased severely, I have sinus problems- I found out I have no allergies- so I think it is related to axiety, I worry constantly about everything; I get so nervous I get light headed sometimes. I thinkk I am going to try and stop the pills. I was just wondering if anyone had similar side effects from birth control pills. Thank you!
Thank you for the quick  comment! I feel better knowing that someone else has similar effects. I took my last pill last night. I cant wait to see how I feel!!
I believe that the pill gave me some anxiety issues. I was on them for 6 years or so and have been off them for about 3 months. I have definitely noticed a change in my libido since I stopped...for the better:) I still have anxiety issues, but I know that it is still early and takes time for hormones to readjust. If you can use alternate forms of birth control I would try stopping and see what happens. My period has been on time since I stopped and they have been fairly short and light. Putting all  those hormones in our bodies certainly has consequences and I think increased anxiety may be one of them.
Thank you for your comment. I have just stopped the pill this week, so it is too soon to see a change yet. I have also found numerous articles about how exercise and diet can effect the length and pain associated with periods. I am trying to adapt to a new healthy life style. I hope this works!! Thanks again!
you mentioned you think your anxiety was from birth control pills. That may be very true. I had taken the pill maybe 15 years ago and stopped because I was starting a family. I was given the pill in dec 2005 to help with my PMS,heavy bleediing etc. I was on it for one month and had extreme anxiety from it. Seriously, I would worry about dying, a sniffle caused me to think I was dying. I couldn't breathe, my heart would pound. I had EKG, blood work, etc. everything came out fine. So, I quit the pill. It's been 1 year. I still have some anxiety, only around my period, which leaves me to believe it's hormones. The pill isn't for everyone. My sister & friend had same experiences.

I have started yoga, excercising, eating right and seeing a therapist...it really helps.  

I totally know how you feel!!!
OMG! Thank you everyone who has posted on this forum. I am only 20 years old and I have been on the pill for about 9 months now. I have horrible anxiety. I have never felt this before, so I know my birth control is causing this! I go to the gyno in a couple weeks and I hope that she can figure something out. I do want to get pregnant again for quite a few years, so I definitely need some form of birth control. I hope that I can find something that will not cause me to have severe anxiety. I have the most horrid panic attacks. I worry constantly, and I can never have any fun because of my anxiety. I cannot even go to the movies because I start to freak! This is getting way out of hand!
I too had anxiety issues on birth control pills.  I was nauseated constantly and development anorexia.  I lost 20 lbs on birth control pills and was nervous and sick on a daily basis.   I went off birth control 5 years ago and have been fine since then.  Good riddens to birth control pills.....I now have an IUD and have gained my weight back.  I had no clue what was wrong with me at the time, but looking back I had a HUGE problem.  Good luck to all of you.  My advice is get out while you still can.  I caused alot of bodily harm while on birth control.  My bones suffered from not enough calcium, my muscles deteriorated, and my teeth were a mess.  These are all things that can't be reversed.

This discussion is so interesting.  Probably the thing that we can take away from it is that hormones do play an important role in anxiety.  

I have had the complete opposite reaction from the rest of the community.  I had been on the pill for years (for irregular menstruation) and then went off of it - thought it had been long enough.  About a month after quitting the pill, I started having panic attacks (but didn't yet correlate it with the pill).  I started taking the pill again a couple of months later, then went off of it again - the panic attacks came on full force about a month later.  It was horrible!  I got to a point where I could not function.  Searching for an answer, I put the pieces together regarding the timing of the onset and going off of the pill.  I decided to start taking the pill again to see what happened...  I think that I now may always have to struggle with panic attacks to some extent.  Once you've had such a horrible experience, can you ever go back to being normal?  But, since I've been back on the pill, I don't have any problem with going about day-to-day life (the attacks are much less debilitating and come with much less frequency - and this dramatic change occurred within the first month of taking the pill again).

I think that the issue of hormones is probably not talked about as much as it should be with relation to panic attacks and how to go about treating this disorder.

Best wishes to you all!
I was on the pill for four months and I became more anxious as well.  By the fourth month I had one evening where my thoughts began to race really fast and I felt out of control.  I had never had anxiety like that before.  I also became nervous about my boyfriend all the time and worried he may be unfaithful, which before I started the pill and after I stopped it, was not an issue.  I also got depressed in a more intense way on the placebo pills.  I really think its a shame that more is not done to study the effects of the pill on mood.  my roommate is also admittedly more edgy since she has been on the pill but is afraid to stop for fear of not having a better option.  she has also gained a lot of weight.  the pill is no miracle, and i think our society is naive to think processed hormones do not affect how we feel.  
hi my name is lila and for the past three months i have been trying to pray this anxiety away. I am 27 and a mother to a one and a half year old. after her birth i was put on the nuva ring and had to get off due to really bad migrains. After i got off i started to experiance panick attacks and anxiety and even got depressed. I have never felt this way before in my life until after i got off the ring. I've talked to my doctor they want to put me on lexapro, but i know what i have is hormonal. around my period is when i have the worst anxiety. I've started to speak with a counselor and she agrees it is hormonal and has advised me not to take the lexapro yet. We are going to use it as a last resort. Until i can't take it anymore. in the mean time i am trying to take walks to get moving, eating right, and taking vitamins. i also drink an ensure to help me gain some weight back. i lost 15 lbs! This is what i am doing to try and get better. I would love to hear what other people out there are doing to get over the anxiety and what they have been taking. Has anyone gotten over this with time?? How long does it take to feel normal again?? I would appreciate any feed back and support. Here is my email address for anyone wanting to become support buddies ***@****
Thank you
~~lila~~
i guess it won't let me post my email address. You can click on my user name and send you to an area to send me a private message.
~lila~
I was on the Pill for half of my 20s and into my 30s and, during those years, had terrible anxiety.  I recently had a child, had to go back on the Pill, not realizing the Pill was causing bad anxiety (practically anxiety attacks)--and was back in full force (pretty much at its all-time worst).  

I wish I had known all those years I was on the Pill that it was causing the anxiety b/c I could have saved myself a lot of grief and discomfort.  

I still have to find a form of birth control and was recently told that the copper IUD doesn't have the same effect as the Pill, so I'm gonna give that a shot.  
Hi all, I  just email dr. oz from the oprah show. Will you send him an email telling your story about anxiety after birth control too? I think it's time we get some answers instead of just taking anti-depressants. If you want to send him an email go to OPRAH.com scroll down the page and on the left had side is a ask dr. oz box. Click it then go to the blue topic about anxiety and panick attacks. Click that and fill out your info. and tell him your story.
thanks.
Tell all you hormonally unbalanced friends to do the same.
good for you lila.....
damn these pills... they have ruined so so many women, most of which are now addicted to anti-depressants because a doctor told them this would help..
My therapist advised I take the Lexapro for 5 or 6 months and ween myself.... I think not... the side effects are worse than the actual anxiety symptoms.., and god forbid you try and stop taking the anti- depressants- they will surely send you over the edge with the anxiety sypmtoms... had I known all of this- I would have never ever taken a pill...
There are lots of women out there like us....some of them drowning in there own fear.......I pray for them, us and me....
more research and studies need to be done to link this stuff to hormones- than just the brain waves and brain chemical studies they do............
Wow, I thought I was really losing my mind!  Ever since I started ortho tri-cyclen lo I have been so moody (extreme rage then histerical crying for NO reason).  My Dr has me on it because I have extremely heavy periods and anemia (level hovering around a 5 or 6 for cbc).  I am also on Wellbuterin and I am wondering if I should stop both or just the bc???  Anyone else have this problem with the same two meds?  I think I am in grave danger of losing my friends because my anxiety is so extreem and I am raging so I act out on my anxieties...  Then there's the domino affect!  I am so scared...  I really love my friends, but they don't seem to REALLY understand...  Now I am going to cry.  What the heck!  
I've switched to the pill now but just started but after I had my son i wanted to try Depo-provera I got the shot until my son was six months old and I think it may have had something to do with my mood I started feeling really sad all the time and started getting chest pains and bad headaches I went to the er twice with chest pains and they did a ct scan and ekg and said everything was fine both times and they did a scan on my head to check for tumors and they said everything was fine with that too but I was obsessed and am still a little that I am gonna die from something that couldv'e been prevented even though the tests came back negative sorry to go on rambling when you have problems of your own but I was just curious if the depo affected me I support your decision to go off the pill I would love to myself but - sorry for the tmi- I HATE the feel of condoms
I was on birth control for a few years and then stopped due to financial issues. I didn't get my period for a year and a half.  I wasn't ok with that so I went back on it.  I do have anxiety issues, chest pain, insomnia, suicidal thoughts (but not attempted), and am known as a worrier.  My doctor dismissed me when I brought up the idea of hormones from my birth control.  He now wants to put me on antidepressants (Paxil).  I don't want to stop the pill because I want a normal cycle and don't want to get pregnant.  I'm not sure what to do next, but am starting to rethink the Paxil idea.
Hmmm, I am just curious if this has anything to do with the estrogen in the pills?  Talk to your doc (or several docs, diff opinions) and see if you can get a lower dosage that doesn't affect your hormones as much?  I hope this makes sense.
the pill does make you have mood swings.. depression, anger, kinda like pms bu alittle worse.
I had little spouts of anxiety before I went on the pill.  Once I got on the pill I was super anxious and had to be put on Zoloft.  I stopped taking the pill (a month ago) and am now (today) done with the Zoloft (after a painful weaning period).  I feel fine.  No anxiety that isn't warranted.  Try getting off the pill before you go on antidepressants.  If the pill isn't causing the anxiety than you know the condition far reaches pharmaceuticals.  Though I must say when I was on Zoloft it worked wonders just sucked to wean off it.
The pill makes your body think it's pregnant... I don't have experience being pregnant, but I do have experience on the pill... I think it is a price we pay for the benefits.  If you can afford not to be on it, probably better.  Personally, I have 2 week periods without and am not sure if I can get a handle on them without it.  
Have any of you heard of compounded natural hormones?  (Suzanne Sommers, the blonde star of Three is Company, an old TV show, wrote a book about these.)  Once your hormone levels are measured--in blood or urine--conbinations of different hormones are put together, in capsules, to your bodies specifications; you need to find a gyn or a Dr. open to these and willing to work with you.  These compounded hormones do not affect fertility, they are not for birth control purposes, but can certainly help with excessive, irregular bleeding, depression, menopause symptoms and other hormonal imbalances.   My heart goes out to all you having problems with the pill.  
I have a 20 year old, 4 months on the pill, experiencing constant anxiety and depression with anger and bouts of crying over small things.  I am helping her find alternatives.  It has been very helpful to read all postings here as I was not aware of such serious side effects and was not sure what was going on with her.  Depression and the pill are obviously not researched at all.  
I am a man but might be able to offer something in on this.

My girlfriend is on the pill. She started taking ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN and her personality changed to being a bit snappy and after 3 months I requested that she stop taking it. Her personality changed so much I was not happy around her. We changed to ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LOW and she turned sweet again. It was weird too because the ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN made her gain 8 lbs more body weight and when she switched to low she lost 10 lbs body weight. We then changed to Tri-Nesta and she gained her 2 lbs back to normal body weight. Through all this her personality changed with her body weight. We ran out of pills and went back to some old pill packs and just like that her personality changed and weight changed. She was totally unaware of the personality change but as her boyfriend I noticed a big change. I don't think any of them had an affect on her weight but when she became more snappy on the ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN she tended to eat more junk. And when she changed to the lower hormone she became my sweet girlfriend again. Not sure if it is the pill but the hormone level in the dosage at least that I noticed with my girlfriend. She is actually the least snappy when she is on the low level hormone pills than she is off the pill too if that makes sense? Us men don't pick up on everything but we sure notice when our other becomes snappy. :) Hope this adds some info from a 3rd party.
Hello everyone, I am a 19 year old female, and let me tell you I have been through hell from birth control pills.  My doctor had put me on birth control pills since I was about 16 years old because I had a ovarian cyst.  I started out on Ortho-Tri Cyclen and that worked wonders for me and my cycle, but after 2 years I started to have break through bleeding.  Then about a couple months ago my doctor put me on Loestrin24Fe, and thats were the trouble began.   I noticed that I became very anxious, tired, and nervous.  That is when the panic attacks started.  However, at the time I did not know what I was experiencing.  Therefore, I went to the doctor and she took me off of the pills. I haven't been on any birth control pills for a month now and my anxiety and panic attacks have gotten worse.  Does anyone know why?  I believe it is because I have been on the pill for a decent amount of time that my body is not used to my normal hormones yet.  I NEED ANSWERS!! I am becoming extremely depressed because it is effecting my life greatly.  I am a very active person but ever since I came in touch with the feeling of anxiety I am a different person all together.
Its really comforting hearing that people out there are experiencing the same things I have been.. Im 28 and was on the pill for almost 10 years.. I started with Ortho tri cyclen at 18  and I was fine on it.  Then Planned Parenthood changed me to Ortho tri cyclen lo after 5 years which screwed me up wicked.. Had spotting every week when I transitioned from dose level to dose level... Terrible... They just told me to "give it time" finally I had to stop using it and went on Levlen which is a monophasic pill.. Loved it! No spotting or anything.. then... after 3 years.... I recently developed massive anxiety all of a sudden....  At the same time Planned parenthood switched me again to Microgestin... a lower dose hormone... BAD! (they like to swicth people every few years) The first month was fine... I actually felt better mentally and had no spotting.. but then I had a nasty period.. got really bloated.. now its month 2 and I have has like non-stop spotting and bloating.. I feel like a fat pig! But... I think that it has helped my anxiety attacks....  Mr drs all said there wasn't likely a link between my anxiety and the pill bcuz the hormone levels are so low (ie why we have to take them everyday) but I think there is.. They tested me for everything, found nothing, although I still feel depressed and like I am going to die sometimes with paranoia etc  (I was convinced I was going to have an aneurysm or I had a brain tumor) but they checked me into therapy and tried to put me on Paxil etc...  All I can say is that as we get older our bodies change.. especially in late 20s to the 30s. If you have anxiety etc etc HAVE YOUR THYROID TESTED!!!!!!! Your thyroid is responsible for many hormonal issues.... Although many women dont get tested until their 30-40s, thyroid issues are majorly under diagnosed in younger women... Now that I am closer to 30 I feel that 10 years on the pill is long enough... The IUD is the way to go I hear...  If anyone has advice on the IUD and anxiety I am curious...
hey everyone,
im being put on birth control next month for irregular periods and severe cramps. I already suffer from GAD/panic attacks and i dont want the pill to make it worse!
i was wondering if any of you take any med for your anxiety and if so does the pill stop the anxiety med from working? i take klonopin every day, so i dont know if the pill would cause the klonopin to stop working and i'll feel anxious again? oh gosh, after reading all your post, i dont want to go on the pill!
I have been on the nuva ring 1 year and half, which is a form of birth control. I now have symptoms of anxiety do you think my anxiety could be coming from this.
I am 20 and i've been on the pill for almost a year now. I am a happy person and i love life but, this year has been so crazy. I've had 2 panic attacks and had to quit a job waitressing because I would become so anxious. I am extroverted and I love talking to people but all the sudden I was nervous. I thought I was losing my mind. I have taken Desogen and now I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I thought there might be a connection between the anxiety and my pill but all the drs. said it was unrelated and I should go to a family dr. So, three weeks ago I did and they put me on Lexapro 10mg for anxiety and Protonix 40mg for stomach problems that go with my anxiety. So, now I feel better but I wonder if I could avoid all this by stopping the birth control pill. What other options are there for a 20 that doesn't want to have kids for at least 5-8 years?
So I too have seen a difference in my mood, now that I putting things together.
I have had anxiety for so long that I thought it was all from my family having anxiety.
I am sure that 50% of this is true, but I have noticed that everytime I am on birth control, my mood is so different.
I was put on the nuvaring last January and was in the hopital in February due to side effects. At the time, I didn't know exactly it was the birth control, I thought that it was just me.
Well I stopped the nvaring for about two months and when I went back to my OBGYN, he told me that my body just needs to get used to it and that I would be fine. So, needless to say, I filled the perscription again and was okay for about two months. In june, I put the ring back in, and about days days went by, I was at work and had a huge panic attack, that I took sick time and felt like I needed to run away.
After about a week, I was getting worse and four days later all day at work, all I did was cry! i just couldnt stop and felt horrible. My fiancee was really concerned and told me to check the side effects of the nvaring and on there it said that it can cause nervousness and or depression. As soon as I read that a loud to my fiancee and I he told me to take it out right away.I went to my PCP and she gave me Paxil and XanaX but havent taken either. I am too afraid, (again because of my anxiety). Well, I started to get better after about a week of not having the nvaring in but I am still going thru a depression period. I think that its because I consumed myself with panic, racing thoughts the whole nine that I now I dont know how to get out of it.
I started therapy two weeks ago and also went back to the doctors where they put me on YAZ. Its been four days so I will see how that goes. Hormones definitely by all means have something to do with how we feel. I hate that we can get so screwed up because of this.
I am so happy that I have found people that totally understand. Sorry for the TMI as well. I just thought that I would share.
hm...
i just checked myself into ER last week from chest pains and trouble breading... was having breakthrough bleeding.... nauseus, dizzy/lightheaded... clammy, heaviness in entire upper body... extreme fatigue... thought there was something seriously wrong with me. had EKG...   around similar time i had also stopped taking pills.  wasn't sure if i was going through panic anxiety symptoms or was due to getting off the pill.... maybe they are all related??... i was going online looking for answers ---  i am starting to think there may be some kind of link with the pill and anxiety!.... i am off the pill... but still having spouts of bleeding... my anxiety keeps coming and going... nightmares...    I am a Christian and in my head i am able to sort things through... but my body is having a harder time due to whatever is going on...
I have been on the pill for gosh almost 8 years. I have never connected it to anxiety, but when I was on Ortho Tricylin for a brief month I felt like I was crazy. I got off of that and found a new pill to take. This one made me feel fine. I think lol. Ive been on it for so long, but I have also had anxiety for as long. I need to think about this. I was on anxiety medication for the last 4 years, and now I cut myself off cold turkey.  I wonder if I went through the IUD realm I would go back to how I felt before the anxiety. You guys definitelky have made me think.
Thank you guys so much... Reading all these comments made me feel much better... I was beginning to think my anxiety would never end. I used to have anxiety attacks when I was very young, and then very rarely as a teenager, but other than that I am usually very high-spirited and carefree. I'm 21 and have been on the pill since Feb 07 but stopped in November 07 for a couple of months because I was getting bad pains in my left leg, had a really bad anxiety attack and generally wasn't feeling like myself.

During those two months the cramps were so bad, they reminded me why I first had revered the pill as a godsend, so I went back on it. It's been about 7 months since I started on the pill again, and about three weeks ago the anxiety returned full swing. Reasoning with myself and distracting myself works temporarily, but I find myself going through highs and lows pretty rapidly, and the lows keep me from getting work done.

Without the pill, the cramps are absolutely horrendous, but I'm beginning to think that I could deal with physical pain better than this anxiety, and may stop with the pill altogether.
My daughter went on the pill because of heavy flow and long duration, which was really a problem because she plays college basketball.  She never had serious PMS so that wasn't a problem.  She took the pill that is 24 days on and 4 off.  She was okay for three months then her periods stopped.  Our physician said that was okay, just keep taking the pills for now and we planned on a physical when she got home in May.  My daughter was actually kind of thrilled not to have to deal with it during the basketball season.  But things went downhill fast.  I didn't know what was wrong with her, she just seemed emotionally flat.  When she came home in May she had dropped 20 pounds, and finally broke down saying she had kept to herself all semester because she felt so sad all the time.  We set up a doctor's appointment and they ran all the blood work which showed some lower hormone levels but all within the normal range.  Then she and I sat together for hours talking about health and planning a program that would help restore her.  She stopped taking the pill immediately.  I had researched the effects of the different hormones involved and it turns out that the pill affects seritonin levels...SO OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO AFFECT A WOMAN'S EMOTIONAL HEALTH!  Within about 6 weeks the result of eating a thoroughly healthy diet and not taking hormones was evident.  She was sparkling, looking forward to getting back to school.  However, she wanted to try the pills again to see if that was what caused all the trouble, with the agreement that she would stop them if there were any signs of the depression returning.  She took them for six weeks, and then stopped.  Her mood had crashed again.When we spoke to our physician (a woman) and with the university Physician and nurse practitioner, all of them poo-pooed my daughter's claims of emotional deterioration while on the pill.  
   So, if I didn't bore you too much, I leave you with this thought, which I also saw in an earlier post:  How many women are on anti-depressants because of the pill?  I seriously think this could be one of the greatest assaults on women in modern history.   How do we get the medical community to address this?
p.s. I am so thankful to find this discussion.  I have been looking for information for a year and a half and just couldn't find anything current.  
I am 32 years old and have a 4 month old little boy i have just started taking the pop again micronor after coming off this pill 3 years ago to have a baby.
Its been 6 weeks since i started taking the pill and have experienced at least 3 major migraines blurred vision and in the last week severe anxiety attacks nausea and dizziness.
I have suffered with anxiety disorder for 13 years but have managed to live a very happy life and still do things that i have always wanted to do although at times the anxiety disorder has been very challenging and believe me i have had moments where i could have easily given up.
I have now just realised that the pill has probably (though not confirmed by a dr) been a big factor to my anxiety as i was anxiety free while  off the pill for 3 years or even if i did have anxiety in those 3 years it was not unbearable.
I have decided to come off the pill as of tomorrow all together as i feel that this may be the cause of my anxieties had i had known that the pill could do this many years ago i'm sure my life would have been a lot easier and my family would have been saved a lot less worry over my well being. Well if i am right maybe this could be the start of a happier me.
I am so glad to have found this, I started on the pill nearly 9 years ago, at the beginning of this year I came off it as I had complete loss of libido and felt that my body needed a break. My periods were so painful it really affected my life so I went back on the pill (Micronor) about 6 weeks ago. It was only once I started taking the pill again I realised how rough it made me feel. I have been feeling really tired, moody and snappy, I have also had a lot of breakthrough bleeding and heavy periods. I have also been really anxious. I got engaged 3 weeks ago and when my boyfriend said he was taking me out for the day I knew what was coming, we had a lovely lunch and then all of a sudden I felt sick and as though I was going to pass out, it was only after that I realised it was a panic attack, and since then I have been feeling really anxious, we had a party last night to celebrate our engagement but I couldn't enjoy myself as I was so anxious the whole night. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow to see what they can suggest, I am just worried that coming off the pill will bring back the really bad cramps. Anyone got any suggestions on dealing with these bad period pains?
Unfortunately my only real solution is painkillers, painkillers and more painkillers. Oh yeah, and just being asleep. It's rough on the liver, I know, but as of now it's the only thing that can really get me through it when I'm not on the pill. (This cycle will be my first period after being on the pill again so I'm crossing my fingers)

There are a lot of natural remedies, like heating pads, exercise, flaxseed oil, rose hip tea/oil, etc. but as for myself, realistically they just don't cut it. They might be helping, but in such a small amount that I can't notice, because the pain is just too severe.

If you find out any other methods, let me know :)  In the meantime, I hope your cramps get less painful.
I was diagnosed as severely anemic (hemolobin 8) in early July.  At the time I wasn't on a birth control pill.  I had gone off of it two years ago when my husband had a vasectomy.  He had this so that I wouldn't need to be on the pill since I was so moody on it.  He had commented after I was off of it about how much better I am off of it (mental health wise).  After being diagnosed with anemia, I started taking 3 iron pills a day & now my hemoglobin level is normal.  I am still taking one iron pill a day.  I was put on a low estrogen pill to control my monthly bleeding.  I am almost through my 2nd pack of pills.  I have had nausea, dizziness, and what now seems to be extreme anxiety.  I worry about everything all of the time.  I am not sleeping well at all.  I am calling the doctor tomorrow to see if I can stop taking the pill.  I believe something called ablation may be an option.  However, I was told it may not work well for me since I am 40.  Anyone have experience with ablation?
I was very relieved to find this message chain.  Im 16 and i just started taking the pill at the beginning of August.  Last month i tried Linessa which caused me to gain almost ten pounds, it made my skin bad and i was angry alof of the time.. I then swiched over to Allese, im about half way through my first package and it has caused me to become severly depressed.  I've been having trouble getting out of bed.  My periods arnt great but i can deal with them when i am not on the pill and I'm still a virgin but i suppose that i wont be forever.  Im not sure whether to stay on the pill and live like this or go off and be happy again.  If i do go off can i just stop right now even thought im only about half way finnished the package?
Out of curiosity, why are you on the pill? Personally, I think if your periods are manageable without it, the choice seems pretty clear to just stop taking the pill, especially since you are not sexually active yet.

You don't have to finish the pack if you're going to stop taking them (the reason you are to finish entire packs without missing one is so that you keep the steady flow of hormones to avoid pregnancy). When I decided to stop, I was just in the middle of the first week of a pack. Be cautioned that when you stop taking them, you'll start bleeding a day or so after, and your body may be in a confused state by the sudden change in hormone levels, but there's really no serious harm done by it. My anxiety was getting to a very severe point, so jumping ship like that was really the best option! Best of luck to you :)
Well I feel a lot better knowing there are others out there who are insane due to birthcontrol pills and anti depressants...

Last year I had an oviaian cyst rupture and bleed out into my stomach.  I had to go to the hospital and have minor surgery.  It wasn't really that big of an issue but after being a very healthy woman in my twenties and never having an experience like this happen, I freaked out.  I was convinced all aches and paines where the end of me.  I did some research and discovered that the Merina IUD causes ovarian cysts.  So now I'm on Paxil and birth control pills and I notice that the week before my period I'm an completely insane with panic attacks, crying fits and a very short temper.  I'm trying to talk my husband into getting fixed so I can get off the hormones, but he's being quite difficult.  
I googled to find this neat page about other women who go throught the sam eas me. I am going through anxiety I had the IUD put in about 1 1/2 years ago, when one stressful experience caused me to have anxiety to the extreme.I removed the IUD and thats when it got worse. when i got my periods my head aches would last for 3 weeks out of 4, constant thoughts, thinking i am going to die and helplessness. I tried to handle this by myself things weren't getting easier. My doctor put me on LEXAPRO and i seemed to be good whilst being on it he recommmends a 1year its been about 6months so far, i really want to come off but I am afraid of what might happen if I do... I am starting to think that I really should of studied the side effects of birth control.
I had been taking Levlen for about 2-3 months and noticed almost immediately that I felt anxious, excessively and irrationally moody, paranoid, tired, depressed, having unpleasant and unwelcome mental visions, and had some sexual and libido issues.  I was in a relationship at the time and thought that my feelings were resulting from previous bad experiences (my ex cheated) and my current boyfriend triggering off old emotions.  I stopped taking Levlen when I found myself looking up methods of suicide on Google, that scared the hell out of me!  By the end of the first day of not taking it I was my normal self again and couldn't figure out what the hell the issues were.  Went to the doctor and got another prescription for Yaz, which is new and extremely expensive, but doesn't seem to have quite the level of impact.  I'm keeping a close eye on things because I don't ever want to feel like that again!  I keep thinking about how many women are out there on some form of the pill feeling this bad, not knowing why, and possibly destroying themselves or their relationships because of it.
Reading this in tears - I have been on the pill for 6 weeks and my emotional state has deteriorated. I have anxiety now, which I have never had before - I had to Google to find out what on earth it was I was experiencing. Am gradually cutting myself off from friends (making excuses to stay in, not calling, leaving emails unanswered for days and days), and have no libido at all (usually not a problem, even if I've been tired or miserable in the past, my husband has always managed to pique my interest).

So pleased to have caught it early. The last pill passed my lips this morning - no more. Strangely it's the same pill I was on at 18, when I got on fine with it. Now at 35, and 2 kids later, it's screwing me up.

x
I too had mood and anxiety issues with a new BC, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo.  I'm a healthy 31yo, have tried Ortho Tri Cyclen (seemed to cause weight gain and higher appetite) and Yasmin (caused crazy recurring yeast infections) in the past.  Two months ago, I decided to start using BC again after only using condoms, and my OB prescribed Ortho Tricyclen Lo.  After first few weeks, I started noticing that I was tired all the time -- even when I was getting 8-9 hours of sleep every night -- and moody.  By the 6th week, I noticed that I was waking up every morning feeling sad for no reason and going to bed feeling anxious even though nothing in particular was happening in my life.  During the day I would sometimes have short bursts of rapid heartbeats for no reason.  I had to fight off feelings of sadness all day long and had to force myself to try to stay active because I was exhausted all the time, and normally I'm a very cheerful, happy, energetic person.  So this is it for me, I'm finishing the 8th week and am stopping.  My OB is suggesting I switch to Loestrin 24 fe but I just don't know if I'm willing to go through another potential merry-goround.
I knew it! I am not crazy. I was chalking up my mood swings to pms and now I am sure it is the pill that is making me feel this way. When I was younger being on the pill was great. But now, after 2 children and turning 40, my body is reacting very differently. I am on the last week of this pack and will not renew the prescription. I am very curious to see the results. I will discuss this with my MD at my regular check up this week. As with all meds it is very wise to discuss any changes with you doctor! More doctors should hear the concerns of women experiencing mood changes from the pill. Thanks for starting this topic.
Thank goddness i found this sight Ihad never taken birth control as i was told i would never have children well 6 years into my marriage i got pregnant and  had the love of my life my beautiful son. Well after his birth i was put on lo/ovral which i thought was fine till my son was a lmost a year old i started getting serious anexity i mean horrible horrilble fears . My doc put me on effexor for about a year then lexapro which i hated i hate to take medication. Well i started gaing weight so i stopped taking it well about 3 months ago the anxiety came back BIG time, this time with horrible panic attacks. So now I,m on Zyprexa which i really don't like. I mean i feel better but all along i have felt it is the bc, thank you all who posted on here u have all confirmed what i have thought all along as i have never had ant feelings like this till the bc.
I am on a really low dose but i still think the hormones are too much for me . I think i am goning to go off.
The first time I went on birth control, ortho tri cyclen (I was 21,) I immediately started having severe headaches and anxiety ( I had previously suffered from a bit of depression never lasting more than a few weeks but never had anxiety issues before). I went to the emergency room one day because I couldn't breathe and had a migrane (never had headaches before). I thought I was dying of an incurable disease. They ran all kinds of tests, found nothing, and sent me home. I began feeling nauseous every morning and lost a lot of weight and started losing hair as a result of not eating. I stopped taking birth control and everything else stopped as well.

I began taking birth control again recently (I'm now 25) to curb horrible cramps. I thought maybe trying a different kind of birth control would help and it would be different this time. Almost all of my symptoms are back. It pains me to think that this is happening and the medical community is basically ignoring women with these problems. They can link low levels of seratonin to hormonal influctuations but they refuse to link birth control (which causes unnatural hormonal influctuations) to low levels of seratonin. Whatever.

To all of the women on here who are opening up and speaking out about these issues, I applaud you and ask you to speak louder and to more people. Especially those people in the medical field.
I have been on the pill for two years. I haven't experienced severe anxiety; however, I've been steadily becoming more severely depressed since starting the pills. I am going off them today, and I'll hopefully feel better.

I have done some research. Studies have shown that the pill can inhibit the production of serotonin, which is not good for someone with a history of depression. When confronted with the possibility of taking antidepressants, I decided that getting the pill out of my system might be better for me. If that doesn't work, I can always go on the old antidepressants.

I think that the medical community is letting women down on this issue. We should be warned about the potential risks to our mental health. Someone with a family and personal history of mental health issues, like me, should not be on the pill!

I'm lucky. My husband has had a vasectomy, so we just have a month of using barrier methods before the sterilization takes full effect.

I wish all of you ladies luck. Thank you for speaking out about your experiences.
I have been on Ortho Cyclen for 8 months now. I have developed fatuige, irritablilty, hunger, and 20 pound weight gain. I have been going to the gym and eating healther, but the weight will not come off.
I am stopping the pill after this cycle, hopefully my period wont screw up my vacation in January!
I am just so glad that I am not crazy, everyone is telling me its not the pill, and I cant lose weight because Im lazy...
I am really relieved to find out everyone else is having trouble with "The Pill." I just think its really weird and crazy that all these doctors make us think we are nuts when we bring up the topic about the pill causing anxiety/depression. I dont get it. I have been on the pill since I was 12 for bad menstrual cramps. I am now 25. I have had extreme anxiety issues for as long as I can remember and have been told many times to just get on lexapro. When I confronted my gynecologist about my concerns, she also ignored them and told me its not the pill thats causing my problems, and I need to stay on it if i dont want to get prego. I expained that my boyfriend and I are very careful and we use condoms and the "pull out method" every single time. She still ordered my to stay on the pill. I would much rather get off of the pill and see if that helps before trying some medication that messes with my BRAIN for crying out loud. One of my best friends was having problems also, when she got her hormones tested, they were exremely messed up. Since then, she has gotten off the pill and noticed a DRAMATIC difference. I am just trying to understand why docs are so in favor of the pill! I am lost and have no idea what to do!
I would love to share my story.

I am 20 years old and attend college. I have been on BC for about 4 years now. Started with Yasmin, didnt like it, went to Loestrin, didnt like it, and now found YAZ. YAZ worked WONDERS for me. I was a very happy person, of course with mood swings, but that comes with being a woman in the first place.  I stopped BC all together about a month and a half ago, and that is when all the hell started.  I had my first panic attack after ending the pill.  My anxiety has gotten soo high that i am not my normal self, sometimes i feel like i am just losing my mind because I always have that scared feeling in the back of my mind that it ill happwn again.  It is absolutely terrible. I now know what you all are going through. I have headaches, nausea, anxiety, depression, and I am sick of it.  Sunday I will be starting YAZ again becuase I am sick so sick of feeling this way. If anyone needs a support buddy or wans to just talk. Emai is ***@****
Wow bc pills can make or break a womens life!!  Ive had a very bad experience with these hormonal pills!! ugghh....   My story will be a lil long but hopefully someone will benifit and not have to go through what i have!!!!!  
   Im 26 and was put on ortho tri cyclen at 16 for heavy bleeding and extreme cramps.  OHH i loved it.  All the benefits were there.  At 21 and a lil too much partying.lol i  forgot some pills and found i was pregnant.  My boyfriend and i were happy and 10  months later a wonderful lil girl.. then all hell broke loose.....   After having my daughter i tried ortho tricyclen and was having severe depression, tired all the time, moodswings, crying, felt very anxious. the whole works!. (at the time didnt know it was the bc pills) The doc figuring it was the baby blues put me on Zoloft.   It worked for awhile but made me either verry verry scary happy then evetually a numb feeling and also verry verry tired.  i could sleep all weekend long and still be tired the next day.  Through this i was still moody and anxious. i felt like i was going nuts so i dropped the zoloft.  but i still felt all the other effects of the pill.  I would get most anxious during the weekend when i know i wouldnt be busy  at work.  My boyfriend would walk on egg shells arounds me and my moods.  I found that drinking liquor would take the edge off.  Obviously a bad idea for the long run.  After a while of this distress i quit taking the pill and eventually felt normal happy enrgetic self.. wow couldn not believe i wasted so much time being unhappy for a pill that by just taking it would make u a bitchy enough to were u or ur partner wouldnt even want sex.lol  It seems After my child my hormone changed and were non compatible with bc pills.
Ive since tried Alesse,  Levlite, Levlin lo, and a few more.  After i learned the bc pills and thier side effects i keep a diary of how it makes me feel if starting a new one.  Sometimes i feel so down and out it doesnt pass my mind its the pill.   I havent been on any pill for 7 months and used the barrier methods.. I  started taking lessina and it was okay for the first two weeks and the third i had a major case of anxiety.  Soooo done with that.. im  currently researching the progesterin only pill.  Hopefully i find something that wont make me an emotional wreck.  Best advise i can give is to reasearch your bc and keep a diary when you change pills, and if all else fails quit ur bc for a couple months ( i know condoms sux)  and take note on how different better or worse u may feel.  It may take longer depending on how long youve been on.
I just started having the same symptoms s everyone after being on the Pill (ortho tri cyclene) on and off since I was 18.  Out of nowhere I had heart attack symptoms, ALL of them.  Chest pain, numbness on the right side, shaking uncontrollably and nausea amd I was just sitting and watching TV.  Had this happen again out at dinner and then while driving and not thinking about anything, just hanging out.  I have gone to the ER, cardiologist, and bloodwork and NOTHING is supposedly wrong. The Doctors just want to put me on anxiety medication or tell me to be calm or see a psychiatrist.  I SWEAR nothing is out of the normal or wrong outside of my physical symptoms.  It HAS to be hormones and someone should come up with a test to see the problem to correct it.  

I just posted to Oprah.com too.  I love Lila's idea.  We should get this as a topic and get doctors to really tell us what is going on, not just pass it off as women "having a bad day" and to calm them with medication...
Several have asked for the posting site for Dr. Oz on Oprah--
Here is where I found it:

https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=697&referer=http://www.oprah.com/contributor/health/droz
OMG I am in tears reading all of your posts. I am in the same boat as all of you and I can't believe other women feel the same way I do. I thought I was going crazy and only last night I thought it might be the pills. I am on the pill for 2 years now(age 36), was on it in my 20's for like 2 years too.  But this time around I am so deprssed but didn't see it as depression. I can't even hold a job anymore, I am always thinking bad thoughts about my boyfriend(like another mentioned in an above post) and can't get my life together-I am in a haze all the time. I started the blank pills the other day and I will not be staring a new pill pack at all- I hope it does not take long to make a difference.
Thank you all for sharing and giving me hope.
Now I need to find another form of birth control!
Melissa
Personally, it took me probably a total of 5 months to *really* get myself back from the anxiety and depression (my main concern was the anxiety). Every now and then I'll have a mild bout of anxiety or depression, but it has gotten so so so much better. I saw the biggest difference after just one week off the pill, so I hope you will experience at least the same relief right away. Good luck to you, feel free to message me if you want someone to talk to [amora9 at gmail *******] :) Have a great day
I'm actually have the same problem.. I had an ovarian cyst almost 2 yrs ago and doc asked me to go on the pill (mercilon). But before taking the pill, i was in great shocked after the minor surgery and i was in depression and anxiety. I went ahead to take the pill and first few months were horrible. I was up and down and i went to see a physician and i was given some anti-depressant. The Doc has stopped me from taking the anti-depressant and i thought everything will be fine. I was wrong, i am again anxious about anything and depressed about everything, couldnt sleep and that caused anxiety again.. i'm not too sure if it's because of the pill that i'm still taking.. I'm actually have the same problem.. I had an ovarian cyst almost 2 yrs ago and doc asked me to go on the pill (mercilon). But before taking the pill, i was in great shocked after the minor surgery and i was in depression and anxiety. I went ahead to take the pill and first few months were horrible. I was up and down and i went to see a physician and i was given some anti-depressant. The Doc has stopped me from taking the anti-depressant and i thought everything will be fine. I was wrong, i am again anxious about anything and depressed about everything, couldnt sleep and that caused anxiety again.. i'm not too sure if it's because of the pill that i'm still taking.. i need advice..now that i'm seeing all the postings regarding the pill, should i take it off ? what happen if i continue to have anxiety and depression after taking it off ? and also i'm afraid to get another ovarian cyst again in the future if i stop taking the pill..
Anxiety is so hard. . . I have had problems with Anxiety (mainly) and some depression for the past couple years.  I thought it was because of all the stuff going on in my life. But, my periods have been sort of "weird" so my doctor recommended the Pill.  It's like I have a new lease on life!  It has helped me SO much.  Apparently it was just what my body needed.

I know that for some it can make things worse, just like antidepressants make my panic and anxiety worse.

Just keep in mind everyone is different.

I'm on Loestrin and I couldn't be happier. The only problem is my stomach is more sensitive. But I'll take that over swinging from panic to raging lunatic any day. LOL
I took birth control pills when i was 16 (im now 17) and before i started them i had my anxiety under control and i was living life to the fullest. But while on them i experienced horrible anxiety and depression. I honestly felt like i was going to die all the time and never wanted to go out. I switched to Yaz because of it claiming to get rid of anxiety, but it didnt. It gave me depression instead. I know im young and my hormones are still flying around, but this is just to much. A warning would have been nice. I got off them probbay 8 or 9 months ago and ive been struggling with my anxiety ever since. I have good days, but the nights are bad as well as the late afternoons. Ive also developed strange fears of driving or being away from home at night. My parents are going to get me to a therapist, and i am taking buspar which my OBGYN prescribed me for "quick relief" of anxiety. I found out you hve to take the pill for a good 3 to 4 weeks for it to be its most effective. It was nice to NOT know that until my second refill-so i have started that. But my anxiety symptoms have become much more physical now also. I shake, i get dizzy and feel out of it, my body aches and burns and tingles when im having or getting close to an attack.Its ridiculous. Luckily i have a wodnerful family and boyfriend who are there with me through everything, and i do know that it could be much worse, but i just hate having this horrid, dreadful, depressd, nasuses, and anxious feeling through me for a good part of the day. I should probbably get on something stronger than buspar, or at least have a therapist let me know how to deal with it. But let me tell ya, i dont and never will recommend birth control pills to anyone. Abstinence or condoms work just fine for me. I know people are different, but every girl ive known whos been on birth control seems to have problems. I just hope girls are lucky enough to have a boyfriend understand the horror of these god awful pills. Has anyone else been effected long term after getting off the pills?
I am 20 years old and began taking birth control for a year. I began taking it due to the fact that I had 2 week periods every month and extremely sever cramps. The first one my doctor put me only extended my period, then she switched me to YAZ.
That is when the problems began, I began having sever panic attacks, I would break down crying for no reason and could eat or hold down food. I went back to my doctor who acted as if I was crazy to think that the birth control had anything to do with the anxiety, and put me on prozac.
I then went to see a doctor who has done alot of work with anxiety patients, and he said that it is highly possible that the birth control was causing my anxiety, so he recommended that I go off it. Which I did for 4 months, about 3 weeks after my anxiety went away, and I quite taking the Prozac and was fine.
However my periods went back to being extremely long, so I went back on a different birth control 3 weeks ago and my anxiety and depression symptoms have returned.

Does anyone who has had this have a birth control that has not caused the anxiety problems?
This is so refreshing. I had a baby almost 2 years ago and started experiencing symptoms of depression. I was diagnosed with post-partum and eventually put on medication (prozac) for  depression. While the medication calmed my mood swings and made me less depressed, I felt no emotions and still didn't feel like me. I went back to my OB/GYN for an annual appointment and she asked why I was still on the birth control they had prescribed for me to take while I was breastfeeding (progestin only pills). She changed my prescription to a 'normal' pill and I immediately felt a difference and felt that I could go off of my depression meds. It's been almost a month now since I changed birth control pills and stopped the meds and I feel as close to normal as I have in a long time. Seeing everyone elses story re-inforces my hunch that the pill was affecting me. Thank you!
You may also want to try to find a female doctor and get yourself checked out to find the real reason for the long periods and cramps. There could be something else going on that's causing that. (Personally I'd love to find out the reasons for my horrible cramps, so I could possibly find a solution and finally stop taking so many painkillers to cover up the problem. The only reason I haven't yet is because I don't have health insurance.) I wish solutions were more readily available, instead of prescribing things right away.
iv had anxiety from the pill after being on it for 10 months, and it felt so out of control and it made me worry about my boyfriend,so i changed it to a different brith pill, and iv been on it for 10 months now and i have the same thing back again!.Makes me feel relieved that im not the only one that had this, because i went to my doctors and she couldnt of cared less and said it wasnt the pill causing it, when i mainly got it during my period.The Pill more of a hassel, just glad i know im not the only one going through it.Its bloody horrible!
Many years ago I was on low dose Ortho Novum 777 for 3 + years.  It was for the treatment of Endometriosis after having surgury for it.  

Ortho Novum 777 increased my blood pressure from my normal reading at that time of 128/70 to 200/101 and pulse rate went from 70 beats per minute to 120 beats per minute, just sitting around; along with, leg pain upon walking, and increased anxiety.  

My gyno's nurse caught that reading in the doctors office during a routine checkup and immediately alerted the doctor that prescribed the pill to me.  The doctor told her it was nothing to worry about, that this was "normal" and that Ortho Novum 777 had absolutely nothing to do with this and for me to continue taking the pill.  Inspite of the fact that I told her all of this started very shortly after beginning this pill 3 yrs. ago!

A few months later, I went for a checkup at my family physicians office and reported all the same readings, symptoms, etc. in his office.  He said that these symptoms were not due to Ortho Novum 777 and to continue taking the pill.  Again, inspite of the fact that I reported to him that all of this started very shortly after beginning this pill 3 yrs. ago.  I had not been and was not on any other meds.  

Thes symptoms were getting so bad and the doctors were not believing it had anything to do with this pill.  However, everything in me told me it was due to that pill; but, they would not listen.  So, I decided to listen to my body and stop taking the pill after finishing the month.  

In my case, the VERY NEXT DAY, my blood pressure and pulse were back to normal, anxiety greately reduced, leg pain gone and never came back!  To think I continued to suffer those symptoms for 3 years and it all stop abruptly after discontinuing the pill.          
P.S.  I must add, in no way am I implying that anyone should discontinue the pill without their doctors approval; nor, that you will recieve the same results I have.  I share with you, my own particular experience in this situation.  People's circumstances and experiences can be very different.
Hi. :)
First off, I am 24 years old. I've been on Seasonique for 2 months and about 2 years ago I was on Tri-Nessa for about 10 months.

I started Tri-Nessa and I went into a depression that lasted about 6-7 months. I got to the point where I wouldn't leave the house for a week straight. (I had just graduated college and was job searching.) Normally I love the outdoors. Until that year I had surfed and beach bummed every summer. I was a straight A student. After stopping the pill, within a month I went back to normal and I found a job right away, although I thought it was because of things happening in my life.

I just started to take Seasonique after a few friends and coworkers suggested it. For the last two months I have felt ill for the following 2 hours after taking the pill each night and I will cry over anything. Last night I cried because I saw someone being really happy on American Idol. Two weeks ago I kept my boyfriend awake until 3AM because my mind was racing and I couldn't control my emotions and couldn't stop crying/thinking irrationally. He probably thinks I'm crazy. I got my first migraine ever the other week and have experienced odd leg pains that go away. I feel demoralized and cranky at work, where as before I just trooped through it.

After reading all the replies, I am sure that it is because of our birth control. The question is: How do you find the right birth control for you? Which birth control pills effect your hormones the least? I do not want to get pregnant, but condoms break and boys sometimes do not pull out in time, as we all know. Surgery for women is shown to reduce life expectancy and surgery for men mean that I'll never get to have children in the future. I don't know what to do but pill hop or just stop having sex all together.
You could try an IUD or Diaphragm!

I'm lucky. . I'm on Loestrin and it makes me feel great. However, I'm in perimenopause and so I was missing some estrogen and it gives me just enough to make me feel more balanced.
Female friends of mine as well as my mother have taken what are otherwise used as birth control pills for endometriosis and they often cause mood changes as they change the level of hormones. The medical community was not aware of it at the beginning but they are aware of it now. These people did not have any diagnosis though one may have cylothymia (mild bipolar). Birth control pills can cause set backs in people with any form of psychiatric disability and interact with the medications and anyone experiencing that should speak to their doctor about having the medications adjusted if the birth control pills are neccessary. If they are not, other forms of contraceptions are preferable (birth control pills alone prevent pregnancy but not std's) because of the long term health consequences of them. Speak to your doctor more about this.
After reading these comments, I realize there is hope for my 19 year old daughter.  She has now been on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for a little over a year.  As I reflect back, I would have to say there were changes in her personality shortly after starting the pill.  However, at that time we dismissed them as stress related due to planning a wedding, leaving home and moving to an unfamilair area.  Wrong!  My once happy, friendly and loving daughter had been effected by what I believe to be the birth control pills.  Similiar to a couple of other comments, she felt out of control, anger and racing thoughts to the point that she worried that her husband was unfaithful.  We encouraged her to get help and when and she did...she discontinued the pills two weeks ago and went to the doctor just yesterday.  Sadly, they had to admit her to understand 'more' about the racing thoughts.  How painful for a mother to see her dauther go through such a horrific experience and not be able to help!  My concern is that they don't immediately start medication without getting to the root of the problem.  I would encourage everyone to think twice about birht contril pills and ACT FAST when you see changes occur in your personality.  
For several months now I have been doing a lot of research online regarding birth control and its effects on mood.  I was on Lutera and the first month was great, but starting the second month I spiraled down quickly.  Anxiety, racing thoughts, lack of energy, sadness, and a general state of not wanting to do anything.  I had been so happy with my boyfriend and than all of a sudden I started questioning everything with him.  And what a slap in the face to him--I had been a fine, normal, happy person and than suddenly I'm telling him that I don't think we should get engaged.  I have now stopped taking birth control (off for one month now) and feel so much better.  I look back at those couple of months on birth control and feel as though I was operating in a cloud.  Nothing seemed right and I truly felt like I was going crazy.  I agree with people who say more research needs to be done on birth control and its effects on mood.  What are women to do if they react badly to hormonal methods?  It seems the only choice (besides barrier methods) is a copper IUD and there are several concerns that have to be taken into account with that method.  It's incredibly frustrating and disheartening.
I'm only 16 and started the birth control pill a month ago. I have noticed a huge change in my mood even though it has been such a short period of time. I question in the back of my mind whether it is something to do with the pill seeing as my life is at its peak at the moment and I can't understand what would be getting me down.
All I know is, these last 3 weeks or so I have been feeling really low, paranoid and the smallest thing really gets me down. I have had a lack of energy - it is sort of like a minor form of depression.
I think I will say something to the doctor when I go back in 2 months to see what she says as it says in the instruction leafelt that if signs of depression occur to tell a doctor. I hope it is just a side effect that will soon wear off when my body adjusts as it is horrible feeling like this at a time when I should be appreciative. :(
I have just stopped taking the Loestrin 24 also.  When I started on it I thought it was really helping with my PMS and moods, but I guess that was just wishful thinking.  This past couple months I've been more tired out and just not wanting to do anything.  Last weekend I had gotten to the point where I thought I was sick because I didn't want to get up off the couch. That is totally not me at all!  I have had problems with anxiety my entire adult life so I can't say if the pill caused that or not. I went to my doctor and he actually thought maybe I had become bipolar because I was rambling on and on so much.  He wanted to put me on antidepressants.  I decided to go to a pychologist who also specializes in PMS and she told me to get OFF the birth control pill. I've been off 3 days and I already feel better. It was the middle of the pack so I'm bleeding now, but I'll take that over no motivation and cold chills and racing thoughts. . .I'm hoping I'll feel back to normal soon.
I think My problem is hormonal!!!!! due to the pill.  Back in december, I made a big mistake to take pill 15 instead of 1! days after that. I started feeling very anxious and nervous. I would be afraid of everything!!! even cooking???? now i have noticed that when i get my pd my anxiety attacks and nervousness get worse!. I also found out that during my cycle, the flow stops and i get the anxiety symptoms again, and go away once it flows again.  I thank everyone for posting your comments.  I will get off pill as soon as possible!  Now I know im not going crazy!:) they are just the hormones talking!
Omg im so grateful i found this site!!!

I was going absolutely crazy and had no idea why! I've been crying every night for the last 3 months or so that I have been on YAZ. Tonight I decided to do some research and it ALL finally makes sense! I lost all interest in going out or doing any of my usual activities (I'm 20 years old). I only took the pill for my period and it also caused me to gain weight and break out! I have been having horrible anxiety when anyone is around me and severe paranoia about my future. I have felt helpless and completely defenseless and now all i wanna do is SCREAM! This pill has broken several of my friendships and relationships that I can never have again! I'm going off the pill immediatly and just looking forward to have a normal life again!
Thank you so much for starting this thread. It's comforting to know that other women are dealing with the same issues I am. I've been on the pill for about 2 years. In this time, my moods have become completely unstable. My depression and anxiety are out of control. I've tried at least 6 different pills, hoping that one would work for me. My mental state just gets worse and worse. Like others have said, doctors completely dismiss the fact that my state could be caused by horomones, and told me to stay on it. Well, I don't believe the doctors anymore. I'm getting off the pill. Thank you to everyone who posted your experiences and enlightening others to this serious problem. Good luck.
Hi, I'm a nutritionist.  You all MUST get off the birth control pill.  It is terrible for your body.  And yes, it can cause you to have anxiety.  So, get off of it.  Wait 3 months, if your still having anxiety, go see a dr who used "bio-identical" hormones to treat hormonal imbalances.  She'll test to see if your hormones are imbalanced.  The best way I know of to NOT get pregant and NOT ruin your body by screwing up your hormones is to learn "Natural Family Planning."  (google this)  Good luck to you all.
I'm 19, i've been on avianne for almost three months now and i just stopped taking them three days ago due to:
1. bad heartburn (which I've never had before in my life) which would keep me up at night, horrible fatigue (seems like i have no energy except to sleep),
2. stomach pains (regurgitation, really bad acid bubbling, some nausea, gas, lack of appetite, bad bloating and shooting pains in the abdomen and some in the chest
I evan had a linea negra to show up!!  and of course anxiety, which contributed with not being able to get to sleep at night when the pain was the most bad.  it's had me freaking that i could be pregnant even though i've taken three home pregnancy tests in the past three months (after i took the first one and it was negative, i went to the dr's to get on the pill, have taken two tests since due to bad stomach problems, both negative), have had four periods (five including the one i'm on now due to stopping the pill, the pill also made my periods have brown in them, which i've never had before, does anyone else get this on the pill?) and even the doctor said i was not pregnant (i asked for a test, he asked why, told him, he told me there's no way i could be pregnant with the periods, no matter if they were different or not).  this anxiety has caused me to stay around my house, i barely see my friends, i get glued to my computer trying to find out what's wrong with me and even called the dr's office and got them to get me a form to go get a blood pregnancy test,(which i go for tommorow) just so i can stop worrying about it.  my mom and sister both think it's just the pills, maybe plus a possible peptic ulcer.  my mom has noticed whenever i talk about worrying being pregnant, i seem to in a permanent state of panic.
sorry this post isn't very organized, but as i said, permanently anxious, has anyone else had these symptoms i'm describing?
thanks
I was on yaz for 7 months and was out of control when upset and had uncontrolable crying often..I was taking it for endometriosis.  My GP then changed my pills and put me on micronor because the hormones were lower.  My moods stabilized but I have almost totally lost my libido and started getting chest pains which have now increased into severe panic attacks.  I feel like I am dying and lasts for thirty minutes sometimes.  It starts with pain and then tightness in my chest and then PANIC!  I spoke with my GP after three months on the pill and she told me I have a panic disorder and prescribed me ativan.  I haven't taken it yet, but after the panic attack that I had today, I am stopping birth control.  I am really worried about the period and pain to come though.  
Just as an update, I got the blood pregancy test done and it did come out negative.  I started noticing up to a week after i stopped taking the pill my anxiety started going away (even before i got the test or the results, it's like i stopped worrying about it so much, to the point where i was thinking normally and telling myself "why were you so flippin worried?").  My heartburn is virtually GONE (except for some bubbling noises, but i've heard it may never go away now that i've been on the pill), shooting pains are gone, I still get some muscle twitches in my lower abdomen, but my mom and i both think those are just leftover from the pill causing it.  The linea negra has faded a bit (if it doesn't go away i am going to be ANGRY).  Constant headaches are also gone as well as the abnormal fatique, I'm feeling back to normal and am having some SERIOUS reserves about going BACK on ANY form of hormonal birth control.  My mom suggested i ask the doctor for a lower dosage, or the kind that "weans" you on it (like my sister had, purple pills one week, pink the next, blue, then green, if that makes any sense) or even the patch, like a friend of mine has, and i'm very much against it at the moment.  I've never felt so "off" in my life as being on the pill, and never want to go back to that.  I am back to feeling normal and am loving it.  

AmbreRae - I am also worried about the period pains again.  I originally started on the pill for severe cramping that had gotten worse over the years and even a few times had me incapacitated to the point of having to call in sick for work (luckily I work with mostly women).  The pill i found didn't even help at all, like the doc said it would (more like PROMISED it would...), so i'm still worried how my first period off the pill will be.  The only advice i can give you it to take Midol, it's the only thing I found that worked for me, not advil or tylenol.

Good luck!
Thank god I found this page! Its such a relief to see that I'm not the only one having problems with the pill.
Im 18 and I've been takeing ovranette for the last 6 months due to irregular and extremely heavy/painful period. It was okay to start with but ive recently been getting bad anxiety and bouts of depression. Ive been crying alot for no reason, often having heart palpitations and a huge weight loss as i cant hold food down to well anymore. This is really strange for me as ive always been a laid back, " look on the brightside" person. I honestly think its the pill thats causing this as  feelings came only a few weeks after takeing ovranette. I also think the reason the medical industry is keeping this quiet is that perhaps they dont want high rates of unwanted pregnancies. If this is true it dosent justify the secrecy they should warn people about these things!

I've decided to come off it and see what happens. I'd rather live with the physical pain than this horrible anxiety. Good luck to anyone else who is in the same boat as me
wow! Im a young mum at the age of 22, i have 2 young kids and recently its all been too much to handle.i just went to my drs this morning as i wanted to see if i can do something. My Dr definately believes its the Diane Pill im on thats causing my anxiety. I cant be alone with  my kids, everything seems useless, irritable and moody, which im taking out on my family :( Im losing my temper and i can get quite angry over things i should be able to cope with. I just feel for my beautiful kids and my husband who have to put up with a cranky mum and wife. It has only just clicked today that it was because of this Pill!!!! i had only started taking it to help with some acne that appeared out of nowhere! now i wish i hadnt. anyway ill stop taking the pill today and ill see how i go... bit scary but hope i feel more like my normal relaxed happy self soon!!
yes i experienced the same side effects . i am to scared to go back on it now.
i got all the anxiety and i tryed like 5 different types of contraceptive pills and they all made me a bloody reck, and this site actually helped me because none of the doctors i saw would beleive it was down to the pill. so i gave them this website to prove it!! . im not on the mini pill which is just progesterone and no oestrogen and its been fine,although it may not agree with everyone.It seems to of worked for me.
For several years I have had bouts of what feels like palpitations, followed by shortness of breath, dizzyness, and consequently a fear that something bad is happening to me/my heart.  I was told it is anxiety.  In about the last year, it has become more frequent, sometimes lasting hours where I feel like I am just trying to breathe and fighting off the feeling of unwell-ness.  It also happens at random and doesn't seem to be connected to my stress level (i.e. doesn't occur when one would think it should when I'm really stressed, and happens oftentimes when I'm settling down for the night).
Recently I got in a jam where I ran out of my birth control and it hasn't been re-filled for a week.  I noticed that I was feeling very good and without palpitations/adrenaline feeling over the past few days and tried to think of what I had been doing differently so I could stay like this.  The birth control!   I'm not completely convinced yet, I am going to start/stop taking it a few times before I decide this.  But hopefully this was a contributing factor to my problems.  I'll keep you posted.
I was on the pill for 3 years, and about two months ago I decided to stop taking them.  For the past two weeks I have experienced some depression and anxiety and cant seem to shake it off. I was thinking it might be a combination of getting off the birth control and also the stress I have with school work. I hope it goes away soon because its definitely not a good feeling.
My anxiety started after I started BC.

I have no idea if that's the cause, but I never had anxiety before it. I wish I could get off the pill to see if it helps, but right now I'd rather deal with my anxiety than quit school to raise a baby.

I'll be really interested to see if my anxiety settles down once I'm ready to be off the pill though.
I just figured this out today!  I started birth control when I was 18, about 6 months later I started having anxiety/panic attacks.  I had never felt this before, and I had no idea where it came from.  I was put on Effexor when I was 20, which really worked, but I didn't want to take a pill forever so I stopped about a year later.  I was okay for a few months but it all came back.  I lived in misery with all the anxiety for a few more years, and then when I was 25 I went back on the Effexor.  Again, I got off of it 6 months later because I was tired of taking drugs, plus I wanted to start a family and didn't want to take anything if I were to get pregnant.  So I stopped the effexor in October, and the Birth Control in November of 2007.  I never felt better, I got pregnant in January 2009 and didn't have one hint of anxiety.  I had my son October 2008 and started the pill again in November.  A month or two ago my anxiety started back up.  Today I was thinking about why I had anxiety....and it just clicked....it HAS to be the pills.  I have no trauma in my life, no major changes, nothing.  Nothing triggers my anxiety, but I do notice it happens more often around my periods.  I didn't start having anxiety until I started the pills and when I was off the pills I felt great and that is the only time I have ever been off the pill since I was 18.  I have 3 more days left on this pack and then I'm going to stop and see what happens.
i really appreciate all the input on the anxiety, i have been on birth controll pills for a year the first six months after i had my baby i was on a pill safe for breast feeding. i did well i think on that but i had stopped my bc  for a few months for lack of getting down to the ob, but was put on yazz. i seem to be a wreck now. i am mad all the time and feel like crying just about anytime of the day, or if i think of something that is a little upsetting to me. now i want to say i am not a cryer, i'm the opposite of that normally, so i really dont know. but i am starting to get a good idea that it just may be the bc pills. i am so unhappy now i dont even like my dogs half the time and that *****.
I've noticed this about a year ago now. I first started taking BC pills (Alesse) after starting a long term relationship. I know I got way more moody, dizzy, not my normal self, always tired. Looking back I realize these damn pills changed the our relationship big time!! I finally stopped taking them when my bf got in a horrible car accident barely surviving. I returned to my normal self to a point where I felt so good I went off Celexa for my anxiety (which Im thinking the only reason I went on them in the 1st place is the anxiety/depression from the BC pills). Well, bf got better, and I started taking them again. We faught a lot and we broke up. He moved away. I went off BC again, and had no daily anxiety again. I went to visit him and everything was fine, so happy, no worry. Then I went on Depo shot a few weeks ago because I started seeing someone else. Anxiety attacks are back! Now I'm back on Celexa so I can try to have my life back again without panic. Ugggh so unhappy with this bulls*it.   :(  The anxiety from Alesse goes away pretty much a few weeks to a month after stopping them. Not sure if I'll continue with the shot and celexa. Seems  to be my only choice right now.
Hi i read your BC post and I would recommend you look into a non hormonal or like a ortho tri cyclen, no monophasic. Your story sounds identical to mine, but it has taken me 5 years and 3 different BC pills the depo shot and 4 different anti depressants to figure out to STOP TAKING THE PILL! I am getting the copper IUC Paragard placed in a couple weeks. I just stopped taking my levora and I am constantly crying and feel like a zombie. I now know it will pass once my body gets back to normal. I hope I helped.
oh my gOD!!!! I cant believe that the birth pills that im taking are the cause of my anxiety and depression and i become so sensitive.... im 27 i started taking pills 4mos. ago...It really ruin my life because i feel bad when im being ignored, and i easily cry for some unreasonable situation...i guess im almost acting like paranoid....im thankful for this forum i was hoping that you could help me to find the answer for my problem, and my libido increase its just i wanna make love everyday..lol hope u can email me at ***@****!
Hey I had this problem too.  I thought my birthcontrol was making me have anxiety attacks.  Whatever you do please tell your OBGYN that you are going to go off the pill.  I went off the pill without telling them.  I felt a little bit better still had anxiety problems...but my periods lasted like 3 weeks for some odd reason.  The OBGYN said I was messing with my hormones and everything and that was why.  Now I'm back on the pill and still think the birthcontrol does cause anxiety attacks.  It all has do with the brain chemicals in the head that are trigger these anxiety attacks.  Dotors need to figure out what ones anf fast!!!!
Lets just say being on birth control has made my life a living hell. I'm 20 years old and never experienced with a horomonal treatment until an ovarian cyst was detected which caused me to have krazy cramps. The doctors pretty much made me go on birth control Loesterin fe 2 be exact saying they don't want to deal with me if I don't give it a try. I finally did, and lets just say everyone around me thinks I've just gotten posessed by the devil. I literally feel krazy, I cannot go on with my daily tasks because I feel tired all the time, I cannot sleep, It's made my constipation worse, and worst of all I feel extremely moody and every little thing makes me cry. I definalty feel a drastic difference from before I began the pill two weeks ago and now. It's only been two weeks and I've become a wreck. I really would rather deal with my painful periods that are caused by a cyst than all these side efects. It's killing my summer but I'm worried to stop randomly because they say horomones get messed up from inconsistent intake of birth control...Is that true??
Have any of you tried low low dose birth control, I am on Avaine, it was actually created for people with anxiety, and it works great, it hasn't affected my mood or anxiety, I actually feel better on it, I think it keeps my hormones in check, I gained a few lbs when I first started it, but I just got married and I was the happiest I had ever been, so my doctor and I chalked up to being happy and eating more, 5lbs is not a big deal for me lol.  Anyways I haven't gained any weight since then and I feel so much better and it helped so much with my cramps and irregular periods.  Good luck ladies!
hello ladies

im so glad i came across this page.
Now i am 100% positive that it was the bc pills that has ruined the last 4 years of my life.
i went on bc when i was about 20 years old...i went on them because i had irragular periods and stayed on them until i was 24. the last 2 years that i was on the pill was for my acne wich worked great and also cause i was in a long relationship.
I stopped taking the pill because i had forgotten to take it with me while on a vacation with my boyfriend.
5 days later i woke up with an extreme panic attack and anxiety. i was so scared, i thought i was going crazy. as of that moment my anxiety and panic became constant and unbearable, i couldnt leave my house for 2 months until finally my doctor forced me to go on antidepressents. i felt i had no choice and i got on the pill and sucked up all the side effects hoping to feel like my self again.
i started feeling better on the ssris but not like my old self. now 3 years later i am still on the antidepressants for my panic and anxiety because my doctor doesnt think i should get off of them just yet, specially because i had a nother sever panic period all last month......
deep down inside i always thought it might have had something to do with stopping the bc pills and now coming across this page i can say that i am sure that was the cause.
my doctor will not listen to me and doesnt think it is hormonal. i dont know what to do......should i go back on the pill to see how i feel?????any help or suggession from u ladies will help.
i am so hopeless and depressed and i can not deal with my anxiety disorder anymore....
thanks for listening and hope i get feedback...............
u can email me at farah1129 at hotmail com
hey guys,
Im 17 years old, in love, and sexually active. I have had anxiety since i was like 12 pretty much but:
After being one the pill for 4 months, i started to disconect myself from my friends, my school work had deminished. I would come home and cry. To the point now where i have bad thoughts, i dont see point in what i do.
My boyfriend suggested that i might have deppression and i never thought about the link until i searched it.
Thank you everyone for making me realise.
I will seek help now, thank you.  
I am so relieved that there are other woman who are feeling the same as i am. I started the pill (allesse 28) when i was 15 for irregular periods and got off of them when i was about 20. I decided about a month ago to try them again due to my periods. I have never suffered from anxiety but ive always been sort of a worrier. Now im worrying constantly and have panic attacks so i made an appointment with my doctor and im stopping the pills. I'd rather deal with my irregular periods than live like this because i work for psychiatrist/psychologist and i DO NOT want to end up like the people i come in contact with on a regular basis.
What about the pill and DEPRESSION?

I'm 24, been on Loestrin Fe for about 8 years, since roughly age 16 and all seemed fine emotionally.  at about age 20 I dipped into a bout with serious depression that eventually came under control with Lexapro which I've now been on for over 3 years.     So I was on the pill for at least 4 years before I ever had any depression symptoms? could they still be related?
Until this month I've never associated depression and the pill.  I tried getting off lexapro for about 8 months last year and It did not work, I was miserably down and very anxious.  I now wonder if getting of both the pill and the lexapro might be the answer but of course I'm worried abotu the potential roller coaster ride I could be on were I to take that step.  

This is very obviously a real issue, yet doctors I talk to seem to bush aside any correlation!  

Please respond!
Absolutely! A lot of people won't believe you, but it's true. Even my gynecologist didn't believe me. But you're right, putting hormones in your body disrupts your natural balance. After two bad experiences with being on the pill, I have decided: never again.
I've found the best way to control pregnancy is to monitor my cycles and know exactly when I am ovulating. That way I can easily avoid being pregnant, and I don't have to worry about pills and hormones, and any other side effects. Also, obviously, the pill doesn't help with STD's, so even if you are on the pill, and you want to be safe, you still have to use a condom. I even know a lot of married couples who use condoms regularly. So it's up to you, but you know your body and your personality, and anything that messes with that too much probably isn't helping you.
I have been on the pill one and off for about 6 years now. I recently stopped taking the Yasmine because the Anxiety and its effects became WAY too much to handle. It became so bad that I could no longer have lunch with my workmates, eat in restaurants or drink alcahol in public becuase as soon as I was asked a slightly intimidating question or a simple question about myself, I would break out in a red rash on my neck and face. I asked two doctors and they both suggested that I eithre stop the pill or put up with the consequences of taking it. I went to two naturopaths that suggested that I get off it immediatly and stop eating bread. After only 3 months, I am back on bread and can withstand the most intimidating questions.

I'm not a doctor, but if anyone else is feeling the same as I did and suffering the consequences of anxiety, please remember, YOU ARE NOT going crazy.
Personally, I would rather catch something or have a child than go through that again.

I really think that this is an issue that should be addressed by doctors and drug companies as depression and social anxiety is NOT a minor side effect and there seems to be a greast deal of people with these and other similar symptoms.
A couple of weeks after I began taking the pill my body started to go haywire (nausea, chest pains, headaches, lethargy...)...a couple of months later and my mind followed... (anxiety, depression, agrophobia, OCD... etc) It was only in one of my deep depressions that i had a gutful of it all and stopped taking all my medications. I was on the pill and anti-depressants... I was lying of the bathroom floor for about a week with headaches and nausea (withdrawal from anti-d'sIi think). But every day since then the light at the end of the tunnel is becoming brighter and brighter...I'm no longer suicidal, most mornings I can get out of bed, get dressed, eat breakfast without a major ordeal, and I've even managed to go back to uni on a 1/4 load...I wish someone had told me about the side effects of the pill earlier and maybe the last 3 years of my life might have been better...So stoaked(happy/excited) I'm getting back 2 normal...

And there is some research being done now, how awesome is that!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1312627.htm
I was on BC for a little over a year and recently stopped taking it. I've only been off of it for about a month now and I just had really bad anxiety today. My moods are all over the place! I feel like every little thing can/will make me cry.
Hello!
just like u guys i have the same problem. But mine was a bit different i decided to go on the pill [Yaz] when i was a freshman in college and then after like three months i got off it and then a yr later i got on them again and i got my first panic attack after being on the pill after only a month. I got the panic attack during the week off my placebo pills since they were the placebo pills i decided not to take them but since then i have not been the same. It has been almost two years this coming december since i got my first panic attack and into today i still suffer from anxiety. I just hate it, i feel like others have mention im not enjoying myself because im always worried or paranoid that something is going to happen. Like someone else has mention i have felt suicidal as well. And i know for  a fact that all of this happen because of the pill. I was so happy before this happen to me, it ***** that im still trying to fight this. Im also surprise that i did take the pill for less time then some of you and i still have the same effects. I was just hoping for advice of how i can fight this. i have been going to therapy but i fell like i need to do more.
Sorry, this is going to be long, but please read it.  I think you'll get some good information out of it.

I have been an absolute basket case for the past three years.  It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I finally connected my depression/moodiness/anxiety to the birth control pill.  I was so relieved to find this discussion.  It gave me a lot of hope.  It made me realize that it might not be me that was crazy, but this synthetic hormone that was making me this way.

Here are some side effects I've dealt with:
Depression and anxiety (got ten times worse when I took my placebo pills)
Nervousness (constantly feel nervous)
Racing thoughts (thinking about how my boyfriends were all cheating on me, they weren't)
Feeling like I was going to cry all the time
Crying over really little things that normally wouldn't bother me
Fatigue (even after a full night's rest)
NO sex drive
Vaginal dryness

I have done a looooooooooot of research in the past couple of weeks.

Here's what I've found:
Progestogens (synthetic progesterone) are linked with depression.  That is, progestogens can worsen depression.  So, with that being said, there are some birth control pills that have a lower progestin potency than others.  And these are the pills that are best for depression, or moodiness or irritability.

My Personal Experience:
About three and a half years ago (Jan 2006) I was put on Lutera (generic for Alesse) by planned parenthood.  I don't recall having any emotional side effects, and my sex drive was actually higher.  Then around November 2006, planned parenthood didn't have Lutera anymore, so they put me on Levlen and said it was pretty much the same.  That's when my craziness started.  I was a psychopath.  I never put two and two together, so I thought it was just me.  I moved in August of 2008, and went to refill my prescription at the new planned parenthood. They didn't have Levlen, so they put me on Lo/Ovral.  They said it would pretty much the same.  They were right this time.  I was still a psychopath.  In Aug 2009, they switched me to Levora, because they didn't have Lo/Ovral anymore.  They said it would be pretty much the same.  Levora was better than Levlen and Lo/Ovral, but still not that much better.  I feel more depressed than I feel like I'm going to cry over every little thing that happens.

So, I'm going to talk to my doctor about going back to Lutera.  It seemed to be the only birth control pill I took that didn't make me crazy.  I'm really lucky to have a boyfriend who is understanding and totally willing to help me through all this.  I've read that some girl's boyfriends just get pissed when they don't want to have sex, or cry all the time.  My advice is to find someone more understanding because it's not you, it's the damn pills.

I found a website that has some really good information on it.  There is a chart that says which birth control pills are best for which problems, such as depression, acne, break-thourgh bleeding, etc.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

If your doctor doesn't agree with you that it's the pills, and won't switch you to a different brand of pills or advise you to go off the pills, get a new doctor. It's not worth it.
Well, here is yet another story for you. I am 26 and have been on some form of bc since I was 11. At first it was because I was bleeding so heavily--16 days on with only 5 off, every month. I was anemic, it was terrible. I never really connected it until recently, but I have felt depressed and suicidal since my teen years. I'm always thinking that it would be so much better to end it, but when I step back and look I don't really know why---now I do. I would rather have 20 children than feel like this. I'm always moody and depressed, cry over everything, get angry really easily. Then there was the 5 years I was on the Depo shot--I gained about 3 lbs every 3 months and over 5 years that is a lot! Since being on the pill again for the past couple of years I have lost the weight but have kept the depression, moodiness and I didn't realize it but I think I have been having anxiety problems as well. I'm always paranoid that my bf is going to leave me-but I think if he did it would be because the pills are making me crazy! I just want to be a normal person again and if getting off the pills does it--then so be it! I'm just glad that I never was able to go through with my suicidal thoughts!
I have been on the pill for about 8 years!!! Only today did it finally hit me that the pill could be causing my anxiety/panic disorder. I spoke to a friend today and she told me that her sister had panic attacks once getting on the pill, then quit the pill and she went back to her mentally healthy, laid back self. So because of what she told me I decided to research this, and I am astonished by all of the women who are having similar experiences!

When I think back to when I first started the pill, at 18 yrs old (now 28 yrs old), I realize that my anxiety and emotional issues began around that time. I figured it was the stresses of college and being away from home for the first time. Now I am thinking differently!

Because of my anxiety, I started on Effexor a little over a year ago. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER TAKE EFFEXOR!!! The side effects are awful!!! So now I have decided to get off of Effexor and the withdrawls are making me very sick. I have decided to get off this med because I really want to try to deal with my anxiety naturally.

BUT after this new revelation of the pill possibly causing my anxiety (ALL OF THIS TIME),  I am going to now stop taking my birth control,Yaz, immediately!!! I hope and pray to God that this has been the root of all my struggles with panic all of these 8 years! I also hope this for all of you who are going through similar situations.

Thank you all for this information, and I pray for good health for all of you. God Bless:)
I basically diagnosed myself with an anxiety disorder through the internet and looked for ways to sort my life out. Everything started bothering. Checking things over and over and the frustration. I feel like it just crept up on me and before I know it, I suffer an anxiety attck. My heart is racing and a lump in my throat and no one understands cos its so many thoughts rushing to your head and so scary and you dont know how you will ever get through. I am 24 and on the pill for 6 years. Since coming off it 3 months ago. My life has been so bad with anxiety soaring. I just want it to stop. I feel so weak and look forward to the future and cant talk to anyone because no one understands but after reading your comments- I really think the pill has had a major affect on me and around menstruation- I am at my worst.

Can someone please help and tell me should I go back on the pill?
cabinc,
I know how you feel being anxious/depressed all the time. I have been too, except in my case I think it is the birth control causing it, although I could be wrong. I just decided to stop taking it, so I'll see what happens after that. In your case it sounds like going off the pill did not help, but it could just be that your body needs time to adjust. In any case, it may be helpful to talk to a doctor or therapist. Not sure where/how to find a therapist, but it may be better than talking to a doctor because they will probably just put you on drugs which have worse side affects than anxiety and may actually increase suicidal thoughts. I have been so desperate lately that I was thinking about trying to get on some meds, but I just don't think it would be worth it. In any case, don't give up hope! I will pray for you, and I want you to know that there are lots of us out there that understand what you are going through; you are not alone. If you go to a local church they may be able to give you counseling about your anxiety or at least be praying for you and your health. May the Lord bless you and keep you and make his face to shine upon you. -Brandi
I am so glad i found this site! I am 19 years old and recently got married. I have started having major anxiety and nausa everyday! I get very anxious about going to events where there is going to be big crowds. I even started to freak out about going to work and church. I have always been an extremely social and outgoing person...i thought i was going crazy prior to reading all of these posts! I am defo getting off my birth control...which I have only been on for 11 months. It is so not worth messing your life up over. I just hope my nausa and anxiety issues disappear..i'm starting to not even recognize who I am anymore! Thanks to everyone for speaking out about the BC!!
Thank you so much for sharing your stories, this is a big relief to me!! i thought i was going insane, no one seems to think i have any medical reason to stp taking hormones for bc.  im 20 and i have been on nuvuea ring for two years for birth control and to control heavy periods.  i just recently stopped last month, and  i feel like this is this first time i can remember being happy and not anxious in a long time!! i dont know what to do, im glad i read this,  thought it was just the ring that was causing it but it seems like all hormones have the same affect- im glad i wont have to go through testing it for myself now and messing up my body even more then ive already had.. i dont ever want to be on them again. i also workout and run on a regular basis, im a full time student and running helps with the stress and anxiety.

for now im just going back to condoms, but hopefully they will develop something soon that wont make us crazy, gain weight, loose calcium, loose hair and generally ruin our lives.
I am so glad I read this. I have had some anxiety problems when I was younger, but they had gone away almost completely. Recently, however, they have come back. I have been on the pill since July, and just switched this month to another brand thinking it might help. It's only been about a week on the new one (Tri-Cyclen LO) and my mood has been on a downward spiral. I have always been a bright, happy person, and I still am but I get certain days when I'm just so sad and hopeless. It doesn't make sense, I have no reason to be sad, I just get so stressed out and worked up about things, and constantly worry about dying from the stupidest things. Anyways, I think what I am going to do is STOP taking the pill, and see how my mood gets. I'd like to catch this early while it is still manageable and hopefully it will go away. The last thing I'd want is to have depression and take MORE pills. Here's hoping that ALL of us will find solutions to our problems. My heart goes out to you all, and thank you for lettimg me know I am not alone.
I'm 22 and i recently started taking Levlen. Im only on my third week but i'm already experiencing depression and mild anxiety. I say mild because my boyfriend suffers with diagnosed general and social anxiety, which for a time, was debilitating for him. The anxiety levels I am experiencing have not been so bad that it gets in the way of life, however it feels aweful to go from being a vibrant care free girl who helped pull my boyfriend out of the grip and cycle of social anxiety, to being constantly worried about.. I don't even know what. I cry at the drop of a freakin' hat and I feel bloated with sore boobs. The doctor said mood swings and breast tenderness are common side effects, but she never mentioned anxiety. She did say that the side effects should wear off and to wait the full 4 months before coming back. I don't know if I can take another 3 months of this though. I am not happy and reading some of the posts here, it looks like things may not get better? Has anyone ever had the symptoms but then gotten over them as time went on. I haven't experienced the fear of dying myself but last night I found myself stressing about my boyfriend of 6 years dying and then i worked myself up imagining it that I was crying uncontrollably. This was at 2 o clock in the morning, I had to wake him and he managed to calm me down. I don't know what my other options are. I am in a committed relationship and the pill seemed like the best option. what to do?
I started taking Levora 3.5 years ago. I had never taken any form of birth control and was just 17 when I got on it, so didn't really ask any questions. Planned parenthood perscribed it, and I started taking it.

I started off with the basic side effects, such as, head aches, weight gain, spotting, but those all went away. But then very subtley, my moods started changing. I didn't feel happy with my boyfriend (the one I had been with since I got on the pill) and for the last year of our relationship I felt very moody, I had absolutely no libido, and got irritated to the point where I thought I was crazy. I ended things with him, and went into a deep depression. I am generally a happy person but, these feelings of anxiety and depression consumed me. I went off the pill and now I feel much more peaceful. I honestly think that birth control made me lose my mind a little bit. It seemed to have clouded my judgement because my emotions were running a million miles a minute. We are still broken up but I am actually happy and thinking straight.

I never thought that birth control would effect me like that. Next time I need some sort of birth control I will not use that pill.

Has anyone had any bad experience with ortho-tri-lo?
My gynecologist said in people that already have anxiety issues, putting them on birth control exacerbates the issue. I stopped taking them about 3 months ago, each month it gets better and better. I still get anxious around my period, but again. Hormones. Anyway, we are using other methods. There are side effects of not being on the pill, but I will deal with those anyday over the horrible anxiety I felt while on the pill.
I'm wondering if birth control can commonly affect emotional health or if I should be concerned about other factors. I'm 18 years old and have been on the pill for almost a year. Since beginning the pill, I've felt an overwhelming change in my moods, from being happy some days to constantly worrying. I am wondering if anyone out there would know if this could be from the pill, or other outside factors.

I worry that my boyfriends depression has added to my change in moods, as he began to have suicidal thoughts when I began my bc treatment. When should I draw the line and take action and talk to my doctor?
I have been on the pill full time for 6-7 years.  Around the same time i met my now husband, bought a house, etc. and developed anxiety, gained weight.  I thought it was the stress of 'being an adult'.  i was put on celexa which helped but also made me feel numb.  we were talking about starting a family so in december i started to wean myself off of the celexa and my claritin and didn't have any negative effects.  earlier this month i decided i wanted to try going off the pill and convince my husband that we should use condoms as i was reading up on bc and it said it causes depression, etc.  my husband freaked out and after a week into my cycle i started the pills again.  he doesn't understand what an effect they have and doesn't believe me.  that one week that i was off them was the best week i've had it a long time.  i had so much energy, i wasn't constantly thinking about food, i wanted to exercise.  i've been trying to lose about 30 lbs for a while now but i'm constantly tired and want to take naps and only eat carbs and not exercise.  i'm going to the gyn tomorrow to get a script for the femcap.  i cannot wait to be off the pill again so that hopefully i can finally lose weight.
wow its crazy to hear these stories, after i had my 2nd child i went on the depo shot, it was fine for the first 3 months then i would have episodes and i thought i was dying, i would freek out and my body would tingle, i couldnt sit still, breathe, my heart would beat soooo fast, i felt like i was going to pass out. i went to the doc and he said it could be post pardom, he put me on zoloft, i had the worst attack ever when i started taking that, i was having an attack every day it was horible pluss i started getting IBS because of it, i went to a psyciatrist and she wanted to put me on paxil, im the type of person who doesnt like to take meds so i asked if there was another way, she taught me how to breathe and now i can make them go away, its great! i got my tubes tied so i dont have to take birth controll because of the anxiety. now i only have it like once every three months. i still worry about everything now and when i worry i have to go right to the bathroom haha it sux but at least i dont freek out like i used to.
This seems almost an epidemic. My story... Since youth I can remember having a high level of anxiety. At 18 I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. I am 35 now and have had long spells of anxiety and depression followed by equally long spells of less (mind you, it is never completely gone). The correlation is so clear to me now. The times when I have been at my worst... I have been on synthetic hormones (bc). And the breaks in between... I was relying on other forms of bc, mainly because it is so expensive. I've been on the pill again for about a year and slowly the anxiety has come back in full force. I switched to Yaz during the summer and it's gotten even worse. I've decided, I have taken my last pill today. I am on effexor... but I've been on it for six years or so. Increasing the dose has taken the edge off, but that constant feeling of digging your nails into your desk at work... well, it just *****. My aunt told me to look into adjusting my hormones because she went through this at my age as well. I think you should talk to your mom, aunts, grandma, any female relative... they have your same genetic makeup and often have gone through the same things. It never even dawned on me that it could be hormonal until I talked with her. But now I am pretty convinced that it very well could be the culprit. I'll report back on my progress.
Finally I know I am not alone. I have been on the pill for 5 years now. I don't plan on having children. I'm not depressed all of the time, but I have a seasonal job and am layed off for the winter. When I'm alone at home sometimes I feel sad all of the time. I have never been an overly excited person, but some days I just feel sad all day. After my husband and I have arguments, I cry and start thinking how horrible I am. Many times I just question why I even exist. Sometimes I feel like I have no reason to get up in the morning. I never knew if it was just me or if it was the pill because depression is not listed as a side effect on the package and no doctor could give me an answer, either. I can also relate to having a general "numb" feeling about life. I'm not content with life and don't feel like I have any hopes or dreams.  I have to admit that I have never had much libido, and I dont' know why, but it has only got worse and there is no enjoyment at all. I wouldn't care if I never did it again. I am afraid to go off the pill, even though we aren't intimate very often anyway. I wish there was a better option. I don't trust the condoms completely, but I think going off the pill will be the only way I can know if it's causing my mood problems.
@Imsaved1000 - My life in the past year is exactly like yours.

I'm a 24 y.o, a mum of a 4 yo, and my life, since I started taking Valette in October 2008 up until now, a month after quitting, has been a TOTAL nightmare and a complete mess!!!!!!! I used to be a happy-go-lucky girl, the most cheerful and easy-going from all of my best mates, but I'm now nothing but a depressed fiancee and mum, who wants to cut her wrist everytime something goes wrong or out of expectation.

I'm glad I found this page. It's really a nice feeling to know that there's nothing wrong with me!!! So you all know, I have a really bad background, from child abuse, family problem, teen pregnancy, to a nasty boyfriend who beats and kicks for 7 years. And I know that I'm more prone to have depression than other people with better background. But I had lived all those things quite OK, until I started taking the pills. I became easily hurt, I have no interest anymore in things I used to love doing, and it destroys my self confidence. Every problem seems to have no solution, and my life is heading to a dead end. It hurts me so bad because my fiance, sees me as someone who needs help. He's been trying to make me see a shrienk, and suggesting me to consider taking anti depressant.... I think he's grown tired dealing with all those theatrical cries, and also 'darkness' in our bedroom. (That's how he calls it) And one other thing, I feel like he doesn't see me, or know me, as who I really am....

Anyway, I quit the pills a month ago, and now I'm on my period. I felt MUCH better in the first three weeks, but my depression came back a week before I got my period (a normal period anxiety like I usually had, but 10x heavier). I think it does take time for your hormones to get back to its normal state. I really hope I could get back to the usual me.... I don't even recognize myself anymore!!!! And I can't remember how it felt to be me before all these started!

To all who consider taking BCP, I'd say do give it a try... But if it gives you anxiety and depression that you don't normally experience, STOP BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!! Everybody is different, and some probably just have to stick to condoms... :))
It's not worth it, believe me!!!