Anxiety Community
eye connection

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

eye connection

since i was a kid people would comment that i don't look them in the eyes. i don't do this intentionally  . is there a name for it
Has your family noticed this?  If you had an actual eye problem I'm sure it would have caused you some difficulties at some point in your life before now.  Look in the mirror and if your eyes are looking right at you then they are fine.  Sometimes we can do something for so long that we don't realize we're doing it.  I know people that will look past me when we're talking, and I think this began as a child with being shy and never learning to look people in the eye.
Try something with a close friend or family member, tell them you want to look into their eyes and do just that and ask them if you actually were looking them in the eyes.  If they say yes...then it may just be a habit that you've developed thru the years to look anywhere but into people's eyes.  You can overcome this with practice but if they say you weren't looking into their eyes...then see an eye doctor and get a professional opinion.  I hope this helps and wish you all the best.
Interesting. I would look up "body English."
you are probubly right. i was very shy and can remember people asking me why i wasn't looking them in the eye. later in my life i try very hard to look directly in a persons eye but i guess the old ways sometimes come back. it's weird caude i feel like i'm looking right at them. thank you very much!!!
thank you i will
I have the same problem. I always catch myself looking down during a conversation. Like you said, it's not intentional I just have always just been shy and now that I am older I have social anxiety.
This is also a symptom of ADHD.  My little brother has it, and one of the symptoms the doctor explained was difficulty looking in others eyes.  Its actually gotten him in trouble with teachers, and my mother has to explain its because of ADHD.  
However, I can relate to you somewhat because once in a while i find it difficult to look in peoples eyes.  I always attributed it to being shy and a very anxious person.  
Avatar n tn
drewc987 commented on A very inspiring colu...
30 mins ago
50-Year Cover-Up
7 hrs ago by gymdandee
Jade59 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms