Anxiety Community
how to fight anxiety attacks over stds?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

how to fight anxiety attacks over stds?

how to fight anxiety attacks over stds?
get tested
Do you have an STD?  Are you unsure, but are afraid you may have one?  Go see your doctor if the latter is the case.  Hypochondria is a common cause of anxiety.  Finding out whether or not you have one should ease your mind.  If you do have one, all I can suggest is accepting your medical treatment to cure or control your STD, as well as your anxiety if you still feel anxious about it.  
And remember, please practice safe sex.  Condoms can help prevent STDs, and no other contraceptive can.  If you are female, even if you are on birth control, you still need to use a condom if you are worried about your partner having an STD.
If you are anxious that you may have been exposed to one, the very best way to fight that ansiety is to get yourself tested.
But if your single and out there playing the dating game............that is a whole different ball of wax.
Knowing your partner well is a good start, but even that will not gaurantee that an STD isn't present.
Having protected sex is, naturally, the best (and only) way to prevent contracting HIV and some STDs, but there are others that are spread orally.
The only solution I can come up with to totally end your anxiety about STDs would be to get into a commited relationship where you have both been tested and know for sure that neither of you has anything to pass along.
If your anxiety was "irrational," I would suggest therapy, but sadly, in this day and age, it's not irrational at all. As you well know, every partner you sleep with, you are also sleeping with every person THEY'VE been with. (And THEY are taking the same risk with you)
Perhaps someone else here has a better solution for your anxiety. Have you been over to the STD Forum? Thsoe good folks may have some solutions for you to overvome this fear.
I wish you the best and sorry I couldn't have been of more help.
Peace
Greenlydia          
i was already tested for hiv, hepa b and c, syphilis, hsv 1 and 2.

i was diagnosed with hsv1.

i tested 97 days after the exposure.

i was treated for gonorrhea.

a certain portion of my brain tells me that my tests are not conclusive even though almost all tell me they are
If the tests were done according to protocol....in other words, done the appropriate length of time post exposure for each STD, then you can rest assured they are 100% accurate.
It is very common for those of us with anxiety to not believe test results, but the option is to keep having them repeated. When they continue to come up negative, at what point do you finally accept that you DON'T have it?
As I mentioned earlier, if you are having difficulty accepting your test results, then it may be time to talk to someone about this. Perhaps you could get the information and reassurance you need from the Health Department or your doctor, but if that doesn't allay your fears, then perhaps some therapy is in order to deal with your ongoing anxiety.
Peace
Greenlydia    
i don't like to repeat testing because it's too expensive for me :(
Your local Public Health Department should offer this testing for free or very low cost. But if your test came back negative, you don't have to have it repeated. Accept that you are negative, trust the labs and your doctor and move on!
I wish you the best.
Peace
Greenlydia    
englishborn commented on A very inspiring colu...
23 mins ago
Irisbritney commented on Irisbritney's status
Kikster24 commented on Why You Might Have A ...