Anxiety Community
is it possible to experience mild wheezing with anxiety attack

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I have been experienced constant chronic shortness of breath for about 4 months. It lasts all day long. I have to breathe deep to feel like I can get a good breath and still I am short of breath. I have noticed on a couple of occassions that I am wheezing when I breathe in very deep. Is it possible that labored breathing from anxiety can cause wheezing? My lung function test came back and it shows I have very good lung function.I was also tested for pulmonary embolism and it was negative. I am feeling very frustrated with it. I want answers to this problem. If it is not anxiety then what could it be?? I want my life back, this constant shortness of breath is interfering with my life and it is making me afraid to leave home or to be alone.
Hello there,

Indeed shortness of breath is a very common symptoms of anxiety. Have you tried any way to treat your anxiety rather than explaining your shortness of breath? I think you should go to the root and treat your anxiety. Since all you test came back ok you can be sure it's anxiety.

I suggest you find a good therapist to talk about your anxiety and try to cure it.

There's also plenty of alternative treatments and common medication for anxiety. If you want all the information on all the treatments available send me a private message and i will give you all the information you need ( and i have plenty in my bag ) or try searching for some older posts i made in which i say a lot of treatments possible.

Best regards,
M4
Yeah same,i experienced it for the past 3 months,and it was horrified,terrible,cant really function myself well at work because of this,went to the hospital several times,did chest xrays twice but it was back 2 months ago..so now i am a little concern about wats going on inside my lungs,but they did check my oxygen saturation level which is fine.
This is so frustrating isnt it,its so physical yet its being told its caused by ANXIETY
"This is so frustrating isnt it,its so physical yet its being told its caused by ANXIETY "

That's just it.  Anxiety DOES cause very real physical symptoms (a forever growing list of them..take a gander at the health pages...you'll be amazed at the symptoms)..and what you describe are amongst some of the top, most commonly reported complaints.  You need to accept that indeed your symptoms ARE anxiety and trust that you got the "A-OK" from the medical community.  You've had a very thorough work-up, so if there was something big and bad going on....it would have been discovered.  Now, of course, you did the right thing by having any medical condition ruled out first....that's always the wise thing to do.

The main problem with anxiety sufferers who complain of shortness of breath and other "respiratory" like symptoms...is often many of the "treatments" only exacerbate the problem.  Deep breathing, for instance, only adds to the unhealthy focus on one's breathing.  Your body is a well-oiled machine....with these kinds of functions (respirations, heart rate, etc) being involuntary...meaning YOU don't need to do anything in order to make sure that things are in working order.

The solution to ditching the shortness of breath for good is to learn how to STOP focusing on your symptoms and the sensations, that, if you were in a non-anxious state, you would likely never even notice.  This isn't always an easy process, and unfortunately it takes time and work to learn how to re-train your ways of thinking.  You can accomplish this with "talk therapy", and/or CBT ("cognitive behavior therapy)...where you will learn coping techniques.  Medications are an option for some people as well, but it is a unique and personal decision for each person, and one you need to discuss with your doctor.  I personally feel that a concurrent medication AND therapy treatment combo are often very successful.  For me, that was the case.  The medications (SSRI antidepressant along with a short-term course of Ativan while SSRI started working) allowed me some symptom relief while I started working on the deeper issues.

Check back with us and let us know how you're feeling.  Find yourself a therapist...have a pow-wow with your PCP and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist, that is the most logical starting place, as he/she will be able to discuss meds with you, as well as referring you to an appropriate therapist.

Best of luck!!
thank you for your advise. I am really glad I found this site. I am one step ahead, I had my regular MD prescribe Zoloft and the Zanex (prn). Today was a good day. The weather was beautiful here, 65 degrees and sunny.  I was able to walk a few nature trails without feeling short of breath. I am seeking a therapist and psychiatrist now. I felt it was anxiety but the thing that confused me was the wheezing. I didn't understand how anxiety could cause wheezing ( I felt it may be bronchiolspasms). I didn't believe that occasional bronchiolspasms would cause constant shortness of breath. Accepting the fact that it is anxiety allows me to focus on the correct treatment. Always thinking there is something terribly wrong with your lungs makes the anxiety worse.
I've been having anxiety problems for a couple
of years now. I'm nearly 17, and I've had heart palpatations, pins and needles shortness of breath and other anxiety symptoms for a while now. I've also suffered from frequent urination for years. Just recently, the shortness of breath has been getting worse, and I've noticed that I've been wheezing a lot too. I've seen a doctor 3 times in the past, and he's found no serious physical problems with me, but the shortness of breath is really worrying me. My parents have told me it's nothing, but I have this dreadful thought that I might have asthma and that I might stop breathing or something. I know it's really irrational, but I can't stop worrying. I've got A levels coming up and I don't want it to affect my performance. What should I do?
Yeah, Im totally with everyone on this. I recently just went for a blood test and now im awaiting results. I went to the hospital several months and they told me my heart was fine and that it was simply anxiety. I don't want to take medications yet simply because I'll get immune to and come out with an addiction and an unsolved anxiety problem. I do fear that it's something worse as I do experience mild wheezing and chest pain, but even my symptoms tend to differ constantly as before my problem was throat tightness for several months.
Jade59 commented on photo
Blessedtb23 doctors think that this is ... Comment
Jade59 commented on dirty socks