Anxiety Community
major anxiety issues cannot take antidepressants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I have anxiety issues. I am going to snap one day and choke the life out of someone. The doctors keep trying to give me antidepressants. I can't take them. They intinsify the problems I already have. They just make everything worse. I have taken zoloft, cymbalta, effexor just to name a few.
Is there anything out there that will help? I have taken the lowest dose of xanax in the past, it helped, only doctors don't want to prescribe those anymore. Is there anything else?
so sorry to hear your having a hard time , and i know how it is to have anxiety and need help, i take ativan when needed , but the one i would take if i had all the time would be klonopin its a great med and it workd for most. have to tried to change drs, most dr want you to take a ssri, they think they are great i will not take them. i tell them they make me sick, so i get the ativan/klonopin meds i went to a med first and got mine, now my dr gives them to me if i need them. i know if you go hospital they will give you a few to calm you down so if you get really bad go there . i hope you can find a dr who will listen to your needs dont give up hes out their somewhere . good luck hope today is better .
Thanks for the comment.
I have taken klonopin before, maybe it was too strong, but I didn't even know that I was in this world.
I have been to a whole bunch of drs. and like you said they think the ssri is a great thing. I won't give up. And I'll let ya know how it goes
yeah dont give up always hope and your not crazy we are all in this .plz keep us intouch. when i take the klonopin i take .025 in am and .025 in pm have you tried that i never took .5 at one time and that was good for me .wishing you luck.
I had the same reaction to the meds you took and more.  It was a nightmare.  7 months of trying all these meds that made me worse.  I am now on 20 mg. celexa and .50 mg klonopin and am so much better!  Maybe you could just take .25 mg twice day of the klonopin if .50 is too much for you.  My understanding is that .50 mg twice a day is ideal for anxiety and panic disorder.  Also, until you reach a steady state at two weeks, you will probably feel a little tired.  It ususally goes away after two weeks.  It saved my life is all I can say.
I would like to find something that I don't have to take everyday of my life only when I need it.
But of course here lately I feel like I may need something everyday.
I have 6 kids (his, mine, & ours) ages: 22, (still home, severe depression, diabetes, not mentally22)
18 ( still home, bi-polar ) 18 still home, 14 home, 3 , and 19 not at home but called to let me know he may have gotton someone pregnant. Lets not forget my husband who works all of the time , and a dog that drives me crazy. I don't work due to the accident I was in , trying to get disability,
I have no time for just me. I think that would help alot. Maybe something will give soon
You have alot going on in your life!  My goodness!  Just to let you know, both of those drugs I mentioned are available in generic, the celexa (citalopram) is on walmart's $4 generic list.  The generic of klonopin (clonazepam) and is not very expensive at all, a few dollars.  If anxiety is an everyday issue, you probably need to take something everyday for it.  Good luck to you.
I have the same trouble with AD as you all have stated.  I stopped taking Paxil and Remeron a few years ago, but still smoked weed and abused pain meds.  I stopped the pain med abuse pretty much and stopped smoking cigs/weed  7wks ago.  I now remember why I started smoking in the first place when I was a teenager.  I felt all wound up and had terrible insomnia then and all that is back.  Now why is Celexa a good AD and would klonipin (klonopin) be better than xanax and why.  Thank you for any input, I feel like EVERTHING is so loud and the smallest thing is so irritating.  Talking to people who feel like I do has been a life saver.  I didn't even know these boards existed until about a month ago.  
My sympathy to you!!! I cannot take antidepressents either, I have bi-polar and paxil celexa, ect throw me into a wicked bad mania. That was no fun finding out!!! Well anyway I have horrible anxiety, usually comes with bi-polar. Well my doc would not perscribe Ativan,Klonopin,xanax or valium. he tried Inderal (propanolol) which kind of helped with the tremors, but not too much for the anguish. After a year on Inderal and a call from my liver specialist ( I am about to start interferon/Ribivirin) he finally cut me loose with 10 1mg klonopin. Ask you doc about propanlol it is really a beta blocker so you cant have heart problems and if it dosen't work for you maybe he will come around.....................Meds (Seroquel, Lithium, Inderal, Klonopin, Ultram, Lisinopril, and Nexium........soon to be Pegasis and Copeg as soon as the drug company appoves me cost $20,000 to $40,000 wow huh! Well I wish you well keep trying with your doc......... I also know that they don't readily scribe Xanax to men.......But I am in agreement with others Klonopin is an excellent drug for anxiety bu remember you can build up a tolerence to it!!! Peace to you and good luck!!!  
I'm curious if you really believe you'll choke the life out of someone?  Or do you just feel that way sometimes.

Personally, unless you've actually lost control or attacked someone, or really believe you might, I think I'd look for other ways to relieve my stress rather than get all doped up.  Ten years from now when you've been on twenty or thirty different drugs and hooked on klonopin or some other pill, you might wonder why you ever started down that road.

I'd look for a doctor who's first instinct is to examine your stress and your violent thoughts without immediately prescribing the latest pill.  We all have violent thoughts.  I don't believe the first thing to do about angry thoughts is medicate you.  That should be the last resort.  Some studies indicate antidepressants can actually increase violent thoughts in some people.  Though most people, even many doctors, don't like to focus on that.  But I'd take it into consideration.  And read the posts of people who've been on medication for ten or twenty years.  How many of them are happy with their meds?

mark
No I haven't attacked any one yet. Came close, which is why I am talking to my dr trying to get help.
Not only do I have a husband dog and a house full of kids, I have also been in an auto accident which left me with a broken neck alon with tremors and other problems.
My problem is not just angry thoughts. There is more to it.
I don't want to take something everyday for the rest of my life. I need something to take when I feel like I am losing control.
Once upon a time, before the accident I was laid back, easy going, funny, now I my kids ask "what's wrong with you" " why are you freaking out" My 3 year old comes to me several times a day asking" mom, are you happy"  I really don't like feeling the way I do.
My answer to the questions are. that I am in pain. I am constantly.
The drs I have been to don't listen, it seems as if they don't care. Believe me I have been to numerous drs in this town. I cannot take antidepressants. They don't believe me. Health care these days sucks!
I have had a lot going on these past few years, I only told a piece of the story.
I have read the posts.
Maybe you misunderstood my post. I was trying to suggest Inderal (Propanolol) it is undergoing clinical trials for Post Traumatic Disorder. Give it a Google!! Talk to your doctor. It has very little side effects and does work well for me and others. I am no expert and do not know where the origination of your problem lies. But like I said if it started with your accident it could be PTSD!!! There are trials and it is easily perscribed but you do have to take it more than once daily. This trial was featured on 60 Minuets for Iraq war veterens. Good luck to you and your family!!!
I'm sorry, That last post was for Mark. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I will give it a google and see what my doc thinks.  You are right it could be from the accident.
Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.
Good luck to you too.
michhh commented on A very inspiring colu...
1 hr ago
10356 commented on atthebeach's status
1 hr ago
mele48 And here I am again... Comment