Anxiety Community
megan675

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

megan675

nursegirl6572.  Hi nursegirl its megan again.  Wroth to you about all my side effects andyou suggestedto go back to my doc, which I have an appt the 6th.  I think my problem may be the generic fo zoloft.  Read a lot of comments about the generic versions of meds.  Since I tool brand name zoloft for yeas with no problems,  think I'm going to talk to him about the brand name.  I know it's very expensive ', but whats the difference if it's for your health. Just have to cout back on something else i guess.  Whaats your opinion on different meds,  thanks again
Nursegirl is wonderful!

I have heard many things regarding medications and the generic versions. I personally use the generic zoloft with no problem. Others have reactions, my opinion is it can't hurt to try. :)
sent you a note about this, hope you get it.  If not please let me know.  Was wondering what the others said about generic side effects on zoloft, Thanks girlfriend
Hi Megan!

Others have said that it can make them more nervous and lose effectivness. I have read some who get headaches on the generic version or have tremors. I am not sure if it is the generic verision or if its their own anxieties about taking a generic form?  That is the tough part about us anxiety prone people, we can also make our own symptoms at times. Glad you are going to see your doc, I am sure it will help and giving the name brand version a try won't hurt!
Sorry I didn't see this until now.

You MAY have better luck with the brand name Zoloft, I think that's a good starting place.

You MAY be experiencing another common phenomenon.  When someone tries to resume an SSRI they previously took, for some reason, the subsequent times are much harder, adjustment wise, with many more severe side initial effects.  That has happened to me with two meds.  With one med (Lexapro)...the side effects were SO bad the second time around, I stopped taking it.

There's a theory that the brain has a sort of "memory" when it comes to these meds, specifically relating to the serotonin.  Basically, the assumption is, the second time around, there is a greater amount of serotonin allowed to circulate initially, OR the system is more sensitive to that initial increase in serotonin (almost like an allergic reaction) causing the increase in side effects.  So, a med you may have tolerated very well the first time around, becomes much more difficult to adjust to.

(cont...)
(cont..)
The BEST way to deal with this is to gradually taper up the dose very slowly, starting from a low dose.  That's the other mistake some docs make.  They try to resume the med at the ending dose, even if the person has been off of it for a while.  Sometimes, adjunct meds, (like Xanax, Ativan) are helpful during the initial adjustment phases to minimize those side effects.  That would be a temporary short term course of benzos.  This is something you need to discuss with your doctor.  Definitely try the brand name first, as that COULD be the culprit for you.

If after you have been on the brand for a week or so, if the side effects aren't improving, you may be dealing with what I've explained above.  The only way to combat that is to reintroduce your body to the med slowly and ride it out for a few weeks.  If you still are having trouble tolerating the Zoloft at that point, then it's time to regroup and discuss the next plan of attack with your doc, which may be a completely different medication.

I hope for your sake that this is easily remedied with the switch to the brand name.  Please keep us in the loop and let us know how you're doing!
thank you so much for all your input,  You are more helpful than any doctor out there. I know I'm a pain sometimes but you do help,  Thank you so much and I'll keep you posted from my doc appt the 6th of dec. Thanks a million megan675
You're not a pain...glad to help when I can!

My fingers are crossed for you!
UPDATE
2 hrs ago by Irisbritney
Swollentoe commented on photo
jerialice I am probably cured!!!! yee... Comment