Anxiety Community
random muscle twitches related to anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I'm looking for anyone who may be experiencing the same issues or may have some insight on anxiety symptoms.I am a healthy 26 year old female with a bit of a high stress level,but i would consider the past 2 years my best.Last thanksgiving when my husband was deployed i started to have this eye twitch every time I sneezed.I didnt think much of it as i had just had my thyroid removed & was about to get my calcium levels checked.I also thought i felt a lump when i turned a certian way and swallowed.after my follow up it turned out there was not lump and all of my blood work was normal,including tests for lupus.i really started to worry and the twitches spread to my legs. I googled the symptoms & convinced myself i was going to dye of ALS which i had a great uncle die of. then the twitches got out of hand spreading everywhere at random.I saw my PCM who put me on paxil & assured my I didnt have Als and didnt feel i needed to see a neuro.So after a fews days on the meds the twitches nearly stopped,then at another high stress time they stared again along with a burning feeling in the bottom of my feet and tingling in the fingers along with feeling pretty detached.after the stress passed most of the symptoms left. I feel pretty good now,i still have twitches in my legs,thighs,bottom of my feet,but only at night or times of rest. is this really anxiety and why is it starting no,i have had WAY more stressful times in the past 10 years,have i made myself to need to worry constanly because i was so used to it?
I think it could just be anxiety. I was on birth control pills and had so many anxiety symptoms. I stopped the pill about 1 month ago- and still am looking for symptoms. The symptoms scared me so much- I thought I was going to die. I guess I am just nervous that they will come back. I think it is only natural for you to feel this way if you were always having symptoms before, to feel that you should be having them now. I found this website that was very helpful to me. It goes over a ton of symptoms from anxiety. I hope it helps. If your symptoms really bother you, than I would talk with your doctor again. Anyway, here are the links for two good sites http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml  and   http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk/anxiety/symptoms/  
I too have been having the same EXACT issues you are experiencing. I have been having random muscle twitches in all the same places at random but mostly when I'm not in motion. Its really crazy I came across your post. I started about 3 months ago with a twitch in my right eye then it spread to all the others places. It has only stayed in the one eye which seems odd. Anyway I called my brother who is a M.D. and he said it was anxiety/stress. Like you though I am not at the most stressful point in my life but I am stressed and this makes it worse. I have not gone to see a doc yet but think I will this week. I do think it is 100% anxiety because it seems to be worse when I think about it. I just want to get on something temp. to help. You said the doc put you on paxil right? Are you still on it and is it still helping. Well it makes me feel better to know other people are having the same issues, I guess we are not goning to die lol
Hey,
good to know we're not the only ones! my twitch also stayed only in my left eye, but when i was super stressed i also got it in my upper lip, the tip of my nose and on my cheeks. I am still on the paxil, it's as very low dose. I just talked to a nurse yesterday about doing really good on it until the week before i went on vacation (which i was stressed, it doesnt usually take much!) and she was going to talk to my DR. on monday about possibly increasing it and then i have a follow up visit on the 16th of next month, so i'll keep ya posted. i really wonder if having my thyroid taken out just messed up all the hormones. Like i said, i have been through way more in my life-if anything i would have thought the symptoms would have started then, but the major stress occured before the thyroid surgery and life really had calmed down around the same time. i think i may have conditioned myself to need to worry, and now that life is good i'm not used to it being so easy!
they increased my paxil today, as I'm still a bit worried even though the twitches have narrowed down to mainly my legs and feet and only at rest. hopefully it helps, i will still follow up with the DR. on the 16th.
thanks for the update!! I think I'm going to go to the doc today because I don't seem to be getting better on my own. Let me know what they say on the 18th. Good luck!!
I completely understand about the eye twitching thing. I had my first panic attack when I was 19, and one I went with some friends to grab pizza and then randomly out of nowhere I my eye started twitching. I wouldn't stop for what felt like the longest time. It didn't stop for me for like a whole month or a little more. It was really annoying, but it DID GO AWAY. You just have to live with it till it does. But other than being annoying... it's harmless.
let me know how the follow-up goes if you are still around here
FOODS NOT TO EAT!
1 hr ago by gymdandee
10356 commented on Joe's Team!
Dalubaba commented on Dalubaba's status