Anxiety Community
scared

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

scared

hi im here posting today because i was at work and i was eating a mini burger and i choked on it and it was stuck for some time and even though now its out im scared im still gonna die, please if any one can help ease id apperciate it thank you
IF you were going to die, you would have done so while choking on the mini burger. Did someone have to do the Heimleich Manuever or were you able to expel it by yourself? Chocking can cause a great deal of irritation to the tissue in the throat and the feeling of something still being stuck can be quite real. There is also the fear factor, which is very difficult to shake off. It's terrifying to choke, to not be able to get any air, to not be able to communicate, to feel the panic and look around and see people staring at you like you're some kind of weirdo before it sinks in there's something terribly wrong and they come to help.
You had a frigtening experience, but thankfully you're OK. Chock this up to yet another of life's really amusing lessons but don't just walk away from something this valuable! Learn how to recognize the signs of someone who is choking. Learn how to do the Heimleich Maneuver on BOTH adults and children. Your experience could very well save someones life.

Gargle with some warm, salty water to help soothe the tissue in your throat. Take an OTC pain reliever if you feel you need it. Eat soft foods tomorrow to give your throat a rest.

You're gonna be fine. I promise. You are NOT going to die!
Peace
Greenlydia
IF you were going to die, you would have done so while choking on the mini burger. Did someone have to do the Heimleich Manuever or were you able to expel it by yourself? Choking can cause a great deal of irritation to the tissue in the throat and the feeling of something still being stuck can be quite real. There is also the fear factor, which is very difficult to shake off. It's terrifying to choke, to not be able to get any air, to not be able to communicate, to feel the panic and look around and see people staring at you like you're some kind of weirdo before it sinks in there's something terribly wrong and they come to help.

Peace
Greenlydia
Thank you so much for your help, now my only concern is I feel there's something but not sure there is because I've never had this happend please help I'm not sure if its anxiety or lack of sleep
This sounds to me like a singular event, because choking on something will cause ANYONE to panic.  Of course, getting a good night's sleep is very important in any case.  I would say that if you live an otherwise healthy lifestyle and still feel anxious for no apparent reason, then it's time to see your doctor.  
What do you mean when you say "I feel there's something.........?"
How does this "something" make you feel? What are your symptoms?
Did this just start after the choking incident?
Why are you dealing with a lack of sleep?
GL
It was after I choked and lack of sleep because I went to sleep at one the other night and to be up at five for work, I still feel something there but nothing has come out I'm breathing fine but when I swallow it feels like somethings there
The lack of sleep doesn't sound like a chronic problem, but if becomes a nightly problem, see your doctor.
If this choking incident just happened recently, as I said before, the tissue in your throat probably got very irritated. It's likely there may be some inflammation which is giving you the sensation that something is still stuck in your throat, and this sensation would be most noticed when you swallowed. If you can breath fine, there is no chance that your windpipe is blocked. Try the warm salt water gargle for a few days and if you are still having this sensation of something being there, please see your doctor.
I think you may be letting your anxiety about this event overwhelm you. I know it was scary, but you're OK now and I think your throat is simply irritated. Try to relax, but if you continue to worry, see your doctor.

Peace
Greenlydia
Yeah I agree, the force of the food being expelled from the windpipe may of very well caused some mild inflammation.  As well as salt water gargle mouthwashes you could also try some ibuprofen which will reduce any inflammation there.  

I really do hope that you won't have any long term effects from this scary experience, as in fear of eating, but if you do find you become anxious around meal times it may be worth just having a chat with your doctor to stop any phobia developing before it starts.

Good-luck and all the best
jedsie commented on Why You Might Have A ...
31 mins ago
OncecleanNserene commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status