Anxiety Community
sugar and anxiety attacks
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

sugar and anxiety attacks

Has anyone experienced anxiety attacks if they eat sugar?  I am on medication and diagnosed bi-polar 2.  One of the meds I am on is Klonapin, 1 mg three times a day.  I am noticing that if I eat choclate or anything else with sugar, I wake up with a horrible anxiety attack.  I take my meds, go back to sleep, and most of the time I wake up okay.  One of the drugs I am on is Effexor and I have heard that it can cause strange dreams...well I have had strange dreams all my life, but some of these, now, are almost like night mares.  I also take Lamicatal too.  
Sugar can affect anyone, with or without anxiety, and chocolate contains caffeine, which is stimulating.  You're on a lot of meds, and most meds for emotional problems affect digestion and metabolism.  They can also create cravings.  They can also create strange thinking patterns and obsessive thinking.  They can also increase the chances for diabetes, because of the changes in cravings and what eating too much sugar can do to the pancreas.  This warning should be on the list on your meds.  Staying away from sugar is a good idea anyway, so try avoiding it.  If it solves your problem, you'll know it's reacting badly with your medication.  I would also like to add that bipolar 2 doesn't really exist -- it's just a fancy term for a form of depression devised by the pharmaceutical industry.  Don't get caught up in the name, just work on what's bothering you, unless you have real bipolar, which is another story altogether.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
2035404_tn?1382849589
Blank
Embrace123 commented on 5. CNN article about...
12 mins ago
1110049_tn?1409405744
Blank
4Maddie44 commented on photo
57 mins ago
1110049_tn?1409405744
Blank
4Maddie44 commented on photo
58 mins ago
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Anxiety Tracker