Anxiety Community
zoloft and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

zoloft and pregnancy

Hi all, was just curious...I currently take 75mg of zoloft daily for anxiety.....would this have any imppact on trying to get pregnant?  Also, the NP that prescribes my zoloft said taking zoloft during pregnancy is allowed, but was curious if any of you have had similair experiences....my husband doesnt want me to take it when I get pregnant but im afraid of how I will feel if i come off of it...any advice????
No!  Zoloft will not effect your ability to get pregnant.

There has been no evidence that links Zoloft with birth defects in the fetus - Zoloft and has been classified as a Class C drug by the FDA (studies on animals show adverse effect and toxicity on fetus but adequate and well controlled studies done on pregnant women have not been done).  

The biggest regarding Zoloft and pregnancy is when it is taken late in the 3rd trimester.  Babies often experience Zoloft withdrawal effects directly after birth, for up to a week, which can include the following: breathing problems, suckling problems, gastrointestional upset.  This often requires the baby to remain in the NICU until they pass.

You should discuss the benefits of taking Zoloft, while pregnant, versus the risks with your doctor. Also, you could always wean yourself off the Zoloft and see how you function without it.  If you got pregnant and felt you needed something to take the edge off, you could go back on it.

Sorry, its early!

The biggest *problem* regarding........(2nd paragraph)

when I say "... remain in the NICU until they pass" I mean until the withdrawal effects pass.

This is my 2nd pregnancy taking Zoloft I am on 100 mg and had no problems taking it, and my baby was fine. I am 27 weeks now and everything is okay so far. I had to be on something for depression and this is what the doctors suggested. You should ask your OB but I have done well with it. Hope this helps and good luck.
4Maddie44 commented on photo
7 mins ago
4Maddie44 commented on photo
7 mins ago
4Maddie44 commented on photo
8 mins ago