Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
About long term use of medications!

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

About long term use of medications!

I have been on Klonipen 9mg, vicodin 7.5mg, and soma  for over 30years.  I had no quality of life till I got on these meds due to severe anxiety and spinal cord injury.  Some time people are very judgemental that I am an "addict."
Do you think it is better for me to just realize this is my life and I need these things to function all these years and to have quality of life??  To get off them now would be impossible and would not want to do it anyway!
Is my thinking wrong?  I also see a psychologist.
                                     Thank you!

trish  2-6-13
Tags: Anxiety, years
Age
:  
60
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
170
I think the most important thing you can do is to not consider yourself an 'addict' because you are taking these medications. Some medications have negative connotations in society because they are misused, and unfortunately that can become bothersome for people who truly need the medications, and take them as they are prescribed, and for the right reasons.

If you have found a good quality of life with a specific medication regimen, and you are not experiencing side-effects from those medications, I would recommend you continue them. But it is important you think of your medications just like any other-- for treating your illness and controlling your symptoms, and not as something to be addicted to.

Also keep in mind the difference between addiction and dependence: addiction is poor control over drug use, compulsive drug use, continued drug use despite harm, and drug craving. Drug dependence is different. Some medication such as hydrocodone, or klonopin may result in dependence, which basically means the body has adapted to taking the medication and if the medication stops, withdrawal may occur. This is not the same as addiction, but could be considered more of a side-effect of your medication. If there is any reason you wish to cut back on your dosing of your medications you should talk with your doctor about a tapering plan, but again, if you have a good quality of life I would stay stick with your current regimen.