Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Brain fog from toprol and xanax

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Brain fog from toprol and xanax
Hello, my name is Nicole and I had a question regarding possible side effects from the medication I'm taking. I take xanax, usually half a .25 tablet every day, but sometimes up to 37.5. I also take metoprolol 25 mg, broken in half and taken 12 hours apart. I take these medications for persistent palpitations/bothersome tachycardia and anxiety/panic attacks. I have been on the metoprolol for about two weeks, and the xanax for about 4 weeks. Within the past few days, especially today, I noticed a feeling that everything seemed "slow", including my thinking, and it was hard for me to concentrate. I felt like my perception of reality was dulled, and that things weren't real. The feeling wasn't unbearable but it did upset me and it lasted for a few hours. Could this be a side effect from my medicine? Also, would a smaller dose reduce the chance of having these effects? Thank you very much.
1-5% of people taking Xanax will experience some dizziness or confusion. Your dose is already low, but you can discuss taking a lower dose or perhaps taking it less often with your physician.