Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
are these meds safe for my pregnancy

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

are these meds safe for my pregnancy

So I have a question about my medications and the risks that they might have on my unborn baby. First is zoloft,I have been on zoloft for about 7-8 months and it works great. I take 200 MG at bedtime. My doctor assures me that its safe but then the N.P that did my Ultrasound said the benefits outweigh the risks. So my question is what are the risks and is it a safe medication for pregnancy? And the other question I have is how dangerous is taking Valium when needed for anxiety?
Age
:  
25
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
247
Current Medications
:  
Zoloft, zofran, methadone, Valium
Drug Allergies
:  
NONE
Medical Conditions
:  
Pregnant
It is necessary to review the risks vs benefit of all medications during your pregnancy. Zoloft is listed as a Category C drug for pregnancy by the FDA:  
(animal studies have shown adverse effects during pregnancy but there are not adequate human studies, and potential benefits may outweigh the risks during pregnancy).

Neonates exposed to Zoloft and other antidepressants, late in the third trimester have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube feeding. These are the potential risks. The potential benefit is maintaining good symptom control. One study found that woman who discontinued antidepressant medication therapy at the beginning of pregnancy were more likely to experience relapse of major depression. If you and your physician decide you would prefer to discontinue treatment, it may be tapered during the third trimester.

Valium is listed as an FDA category D drug: (there is known evidence of human fetal risk from experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may outweigh the risks during pregnancy). Alternative approaches for anxiety may be preferred, but again, each situation is different and the benefits and risks must be discussed carefully with your physician.