Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
methadone and pain meds

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

methadone and pain meds
I am on methadone and am having hernia surgery. What can I use for post operative pain?
Even though you are on Methadone, you can still use opioid related pain meds. Percocet may be a sufficient pain med for post-op. It is up to your doctor. Just be advised that taking Methadone with other opioids increases sedation and the potential for respiratory depression. Make sure that the doctor performing the surgery is aware that you are on methadone.