Asthma Community
Breathing difficulty. Asthma? Allergic reaction? panic attack?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Past few months I've been having a lot of problems with my breathing. Where I have something between an asthma attack and a panic attack. I just feel sooo tired of breathing, i need to concentrate soo hard on breathing and its just not giving up. Ive used salbutamol a few times and it seems to help a little. But the worst came on thursday just past. It started (we think an allergic reaction to a sweet, liquirice batons) around 6pm on wednesday night and i couldnt sleep because it was soo much effort to breathe. It continued through the day on thursday, caused me two severe issues where i started to get pins and needls in my hands and arms then wheezing which lasted about 2 hours. It was still difficult all day and everyone was really worried about how hard i was struggling to breathe. It calmed down once we'd moved and been less stressed. I know there is panic attacks, but it lasted just too long and felt wrong. but i know stress enduced asthma is only asthma agrovated by stress... because ive been finding it soo hard to breathe at nights im starting to think there may really be something wrong. any ideas?
Hi an Welcome!

Anxiety can do a lot to one's body, but you are best to ask your doctor because on line not even a doctor will be able to diagnose you without a physical exam.

C~
Some food additives give me asthma attacks and I recently had one from red licorice.

The first time I ended up in the ER the doctor thought I had had a panic attack but I've since been diagnosed with allergy induced asthma and I'm receiving treatment. In my case it never made sense to me that I was having panic attacks simply because I didn't feel panicky when I got the attacs. I have a friend with panic attacks which include difficulty breathing but the main symptom is always strong emotion. Sometimes I was in a lot of physical distress from not being able to breath which was also worrying but I was not experiencing "sudden outbursts of fear and anxiety" typical of panic attacks. I believe salbutamol tends to make a panic attack worse but usually gives quick relief to asthma sufferers.

As ChitChatNine said it's important to go to a doctor to be diagnosed and receive treatment if you need it but discussing and researching online can also help to know what you need to tell the doctor and what questions to ask.
I agree with both of the above.  If you are very uncomfortable and it's not going away you need to be seen by a doctor.  Whether or not it's a panic attack, it's been going on for a long while and there must be something that can help you.  

I may or may not have asthma but when I got tired of being able to breathe, anxiety came ahead and would make it ten times worse.  It got bad enough my doctor almost sent to the ER and all my lung issues are probably only due to bad reflux.  So not even at the level of severe asthma attacks and it SUCKED!!  

Nebulisers tend to help a lot more (easier to breathe in and get the medication where it needs to be), it would be worthwhile going to the doc and getting one of these.

Hope you feel better!!
Thanks to all.
Yeah I know it could be an allergy but I know when I have allergies to foods.
Ie i get sore stomachs. Or if its sweets I need to avoid Spirolina (or some such as that causes an asthma like attack)

Ive been put on Propanolol for anxiety and its taken most of my problems away. I still have spurts of really difficult breathing. But not as many. Ie in two weeks maybe only one or two. Where as before it was every night. x

Ellie