Asthma Community
my medications are not working anymore

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

my medications are not working anymore

I am now on my nebulizer every 4 hours and still cannot breathe.  I am usually on prednisone, albuterol, advair, and an allergy pill---none of those are working either.  I cannot sleep throughout the night because I wake up gasping for air.  I cannot excercise let alone take a shower and brush my teeth without being exhausted due to shortness of breath.  I am 30 years old, 150 pounds, 5 ft 6 in.  I developed asthma at age 13.  I had a surgery at the age of 6 wks old called Total Anamalous Pulmonary Venous Connection.  Please please if you can help-----HELP.
I have described the full set of breathing techniques which will definitely help you naturally as extra oxygen gets into the lungs.Initially start with anulom vilom for 2 minutes and gradually build up the timing.When you can do this for 5 minutes, then start on the other exercises.Come back to report your progress.
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with asthma  problems.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 10 to 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of months.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.
Do you think it could be from newly developing allergies, URI (previous), chemicals, anxiety, GERD that could be irritating your asthma? I think you need to go back to your doctor about this or an asthma/allergy specialist. I am assuming your on the highest strength of Advair, but sometimes medicines stop working as good and you need to try another. I would switch to the highest dose Symbicort, I believe it is 160/4.5, or you could temporarily increase your prednisone dose and see if this helps you at all. I know it is hard I have been there! Just slow your breathing as much as possible and relax till you make it to the doctor. Post updates on how you are.
Where did you learn this? What is it? I'm willing to try anything for my asthma, because I don't want to take any more medication but I can't go without it :(
Ask your Specialist about xolair - if your Asthma and allergies rank as severe persistent - it could really change your life.  My doctor's were unable to get my asthma under control for along time - and then they got me apporved for xolair shots - and after a few months I was amazed at the changes - I didn't wake up at night to take a breathing treatment - I went hiking in the woods with my kids and had a camp fire - and no problems!!!!!  Not to mention being able to have a picnic, and attend my son's baseball games - I know to alot of people these things are taken for granted but from what you wrote - I think you understand just how flippin awesome that is.

At any rate - what the xolair does is basically stop your body from reacting to your allergies - so they don't trigger your asthma.  The drawback is it is very expensive - like 600 per shot - every 2 to 4 weeks - so it make take some jumping thru hoops to get your insurance to cover it.  

Good luck!
Start doing the breathing exercises as I have described, and over long term you be able to stay healthy without medication.It is part of yog, but the duration of each exercise is important to get enough oxygen into the cells of the body.
Try this: http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/bronchosoothe-normal-breathing-respiration-rate.html

Or this: http://www.novahomeopathic.com/remedies.html

The second one my husband uses with great success, haven't tried the first one though.