Back and Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Cervical Stenosis

Welcome to the Back and Neck Surgery Forum! This forum is for questions and support regarding back and neck such as: Herniated disc, Pinched nerve, Sciatica, Degenerative spine disease, Spinal stenosis, Spine trauma and fractures, Spine tumors and Spine treatment options.

Cervical Stenosis

I have a recurrent history over the past several years of a "burner's syndrome" with axial load compression or hitting head into a extension position with sporting activities.  By burners syndrome I mean I get a burning sensation in bilateral shoulders with tingling that extends down the arms.  It usually lasts several days and returns to normal.  I otherwise seem to have no further symptoms.  I had an MRI with several levels of mild stenosis but a severe stenotic level with an osteophytic disc at C3/C4 with spinal cord flattening and no csf fluid surrounding my spinal cord.  The cord measured to be about 5mm.  The neuro exam finding is a had a very slight hoffman sign.  Everything else was normal.  I have since visited two neurosurgeons with opposite opinions. One would like to do surgery now to avoid a worsening of the stenosis and states "It may never get worse but if it does, it could be catastrophic".  The second neurosurgeon stated that without further evidence of spinal cord compression he would like to return to me to full activity and to return if symptoms worsen.  He also stated studies have not shown a huge increase of SCI to cervical stenosis as a result of cervical spondylosis.  I am torn on which to chose.  I am active duty military and I have been very active athlete my whole life.  I am only 32 but I want what is best for me and my family.  How do I know which is right?  
Dear Eric,
Considering your active lifestyle, i also would go by the doctor's advice of surgery(based on the reviews you have written). Since i have not examined you myself, my opinion would be biased, based on your inputs only.
Please take a 3rd opinion soon and then discuss further.
Regards.