Bipolar Disorder Community
Abnormal Smells

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Abnormal Smells

I receive ECT treatments for the regulation of my bipolar disorder.  Within three days of my last ECT, I began to experience some strange smells.  It seems like everything smells spoiled/rotten no matter what it is.  I have tried smelling everything from purfume to vicks and it all seems to smell the same. Rotten!  Has anyone ever expierienced this after an ECT or due to having bipolar disorder?

Thank you,

Jackie
Tags: Bipolar, smell, ect
how has ect worked for your bipolar?  is this the first time?
I would ask your doctor. It sounds like you are experiencing an olfactory hallucination. I had one once.
WOW! I could have written that myself.

I've just completed 10 courses (twice a week) of ECT for my bipolar - current episode depression. My first weekend home I became convinced the garden had wild garlic growing in it and i spent ages pacing around trying to find the offending plants. However, within a day or so of this I started to smell rancid, rotten flesh. I was hunting high and low but couldn't find anything - then I sniffed my arm and 'realised' it was me. My husband said i smelled fine but i showered several times but still couldn't get rid of the smell and perfum, deodorant etc barely masked it. I couldn't escape it and even tried sniffing olbas oil to mask it!

It seemed like anything i'd ever touched stank of rotten flesh and I was convinced the best thing to do would be to incinerate everything. Fortunately my CPN found out and organised a meeting with my pdoc. He reassured me, changed my meds and within 48hrs it had passed.

When I've hallucinated in the past, smells were never involved. It may well be a glitch from the ECT but to be on ther safe side you should speak to your consultant.

Finally, I hope the ECT has, and will continue to, help.

Take care

S xxxx
I remember quite a few times food would smell way beyond rotten to me but it tasted just fine but I've had psychosis nearly my entire life.  It was particularly bad when I was sick with a cold one time and it was actually the reason I didn't want to eat rather than the cold itself.
What did they do for you. I cannot eat anything. It all smells like burning plastic after 10 ECT treatments. I am frantic about this.
Hello everyone, I have recently had 10 ECT treatments but they have not worked, can I ask you all if ECT has worked for you?