Bipolar Disorder Community
Anyone on Clonidine or Use It in the Past?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

So it turns out I'll be on Clonidine (Catapres application patch) for a long time. My psychiatrist says that I've tried all available mood stabilizers (if you know me that's indeed the case, 30 at last count) and its helping on my physical disability as well. So this patch is going to be stuck to me for a while. And so it goes..But more importantly rather than discuss what helpful effects and side effects I am experiencing if anyone is on it (for any reasons, I've known people with Tourrette's that used it) or has been perhaps they could share their experience of how it helped and some coping tips. I'll leave this here and when someone posts who is on it feel free to bump the thread. I'll still be around as will the patch. Thanks.
ive never used the patch before..im on the pills for blood p..but by the FDA its approved for that purpose..used also off fda labeled used to calm bipolar down,smoking withdrawals,opioid withdralws,anxiety,s and others..ive seen the patch,,the clondine doesn't seem to do anything  to me except make me tired and lower the pressure..30 bp meds wow..i cant believe none of them stabilized you..well this will be my 5th one..im surprised at that even.....james
They did work. I just couldn't tolerate the side effects some of which are statistically rare so there's no point discussing them. As for Clonidine its primary use in me is in controlling dystonic spasms but it does work as a mood stabilizer. I do feel quite tired from it but thankfully my blood pressure has not been affected too badly (not the same as with Atenolol I took years ago as a side effect pill, that dropped my blood pressure to the point where it was unsafe). Its primary aggravation is that the patch runs out and in me its titrated to 5 days (its usually weekly). Oddly enough, although the reason its not used much as a mood stabilizer is because it can promote depression, in me at least the first day of the application I feel somewhat elated. Mostly the effects I experience are cognitive blunting, lowering of sex drive, increase of appetite and I have to be careful in summer as regards the sun so I wear sunscreen and a cap. Except for the delivery device its honestly not that different from other mood stabilizers in good effects and side effects although clearly for no one would it be used as a first line choice but then again its never been suggested as one. The world and people and their effect on me seem a bit toned down so that certainly must be one sign its working. With any antipsychotic I've taken (conventional or experimental) with the exception of Clozaril I needed a mood stabilizer with it for it to work properly as does everyone with schizoaffective (which I have) or bipolar with psychotic features. Life seems more bearable so that's a good thing overall.