Bipolar Disorder Community
Geodon and severe memory problems

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Geodon and severe memory problems

My brother has been on 160mg Geodon since 2/2008.  He is having severe memory problems.  Is it due to Geodon?  He has schizoaffective disorder.  He was also put on cogentin and inderal.
Rubaba
I was on Geodon for one month, went through the detox from hell, and a week later I still feel like ****. It affected my memory so bad, I couldn't remember what I was talking about 5 minutes ago. Dangerous drug.
There are other antipsychotics. His psychiatrist should change that one. Geodon can cause heart arrythmia. Abilify is much safer. Actually the Cogentin and Inderal (a blood pressure medication) might causing the memory loss but they are used to control extra-pyramidal side effects and are necccesary for that. Those are movement disorders that are temporary but he is also at risk for permanent conditions such as tardive dyskinesia which I have and in myself is as bad as Parkinsons and can emerge after the antipsychotic masks it while it is progressing. It is irreversible. Of course people with schizoprhenia need to take antipsychotics to function. Fortunately there are new medications in development that are safer and more effective. I am on glycine, an experimental antipsychotic in FDA study which is a class of medication called the glutamate inhibitors. They will be the antipsychotics of the future as they cannot cause tardive dyskinesia, diabetes, weight gain, e.p.s or any of the drawbacks of current antipsychotics. Its important to keep aware of them as they are in development and for when they become available which should hopefully be in 5 years. I am advocating to let people know about them so they can be fast tracked through the studies and made available as medications as soon as possible so people can experience the mental recovery I did without the physical disability.