Bipolar Disorder Community
More questions about what to do now!

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

More questions about what to do now!

I posted a question about my son's changing symptoms recently, but I still have questions.  My son's current diagnosis is schizo-affective disorder and bipolar disorder.  Here is the problem we are having now.  He has been telling outlandish and completely untrue stories to everyone, except us at home.  He doesn't talk to anyone at home at all...just very perfunctory day to day chit chat...that's all we get.  
He told me about three weeks ago that an old girlfriend of his, still a good friend, had died of an overdose.  I found out yesterday that she's just fine, no overdose, and certainly no death.  He is telling other people that she had a baby and it recently died and he "led the funeral" because she couldn't handle it.  No baby, cetainly not dead baby.  He's telling people that he has a blood infection, liver cancer, heart problems, and needs to have surgery on his knee.  None of this is true.  Just found out that I recently had to have surgery as well, news to me.  
Now, all of this is disturbing, but the thing about it is, he doesn't think he is lying about any of it.  On one hand he does seem to know it's not true, but at the same time (same time) he believes it all.  He told me that it's hard to explain, but he does seem to know things before they happen and sometimes people misunderstand when he tries to tell them things that are going to happen, and he can't help that.  
I'm confused.  I'm afriad if I just come right out and confront him with everything I know that he's saying to people he will fall apart.  I don't know how he will handle it.  On the ohter hand if I ignore this how far outside of reality will he drift!???  Don't know what to do.  Is there anything in his current diagnosis that could cause this?  I spoke to his birth mother (he's adopted by the way) and they have changed her diagnosis recently from schizoaffective disorder to borderline personality disorder....that scares me.  Does this seem more like BPD?  So confused!
Oh, one more thing, he is now having delusions of grandeur...no doubt abou that one!  He thinks a few words from him can change someone's life.  He knows more about football than anyone in the world.  He is more in tune with the Spirit than anyone else ever was.  He can access the promptings of the Spirit of God whenever he wants, no problem.  and on and on and on....
Tags: Schizo-affective, Bipolar Disorder, Borderline personality disorde, lying, delusions, delusions of grandeur
People with either disorder can live in a fantasy world.  Bipolar is actually the subtype of his schizoaffective disorder and not a separate diagnosis.
Interesting...I don't really understand the diagnosis process.  I know that I have been told for years by my son's Doctors and his therapist that he will be diagnosed with schizophrenia, but they can't diagnose him now because he is too young.  They say they can't use that diagnosis until after he turns 18.  What does that mean?  Why would that be?
Because childhood schizophrenia is quite rare, although not impossible as I'm living proof of that.  I had symptoms since I was like 5 but I wasn't diagnosed until about the age of 22.
I don't have any intelligent advive to give you.  Coming from one mother to another, I wish you the best.  Keep ur chin up the best you can...I know it gets rediculously hard to do!!!  
Jordan has had symptoms since he was about 5 as well.  Can I ask...did your symptoms change as you reached adulthood?  Were they about the same as always?   @Jaime0924  Thanks so much.  It is hard at times.  Hard to know what to address head on and what is not worth the fight.  I know for example that confronting him about his "delusions" is pointless and only serves to upset him and sometimes even pushes him further into himself and away from others.  But, I feel like I should be doing SOMETHING!  I guess we just keep plugging away and keep journaling and keep those all important appointments.  Time will tell!
Thanks to you both though!  Really!!!
I had anxiety come up later in life and yeah some symptoms changed here and there like for example I originally saw monsters and whatnot frequently but now not as much but mine was left untreated until about 22 so my catatonic episodes that started at about 9 years old grew longer and longer as I grew older, just as another example.

I've had just about everything I've heard of that happens with schizophrenia happen to me, so if you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask.
BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) doesn't make people make things up and lie. They are not psychotic, and contrary to the old myth it is not on the border of psychosis and neurosis.

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:  

1. frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

2. a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

3. identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.

4. impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

5. recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

6. affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).

7. chronic feelings of emptiness

8. inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

9. transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

I know many, many borderlines and co-run a self help group. I don't see many of the people I associate with, with the description that you give.