Bipolar Disorder Community
Nerviousness and irritability

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Nerviousness and irritability

I have started to become nervous and irritable again and it is scary. I was like that for two years straight and I really don't want to do it again. I eventually got diagnosed with PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder), and later with Bipolar Disorder. The only thing that made it go away was the Risperdal they put me on. Unfortunately I had to go off of it because it raised my prolactin (the hormone that makes women lactate and can also stop a womans period) level sky high. So now that I am not on it anymore the nervousness and irritability is coming back. I am on Latuda now but it doesn't seem to be working as good as the Risperdal did. I am not sure what to do. I just don't want to be all nervous and irritable again. It can be bad I yelled at my kids way to much when I was like that. It makes everything feel way more dramatic than it is like even little things seem like a big deal. It is like being on edge all the time.
hi amy. i dont take any of the meds you do for bipolar. i'm on depakote er, remeron, zanax, and vistaril. but like you, after 3 months, my anxiety is through the roof again, and my pdoc started weaning me off my zanax. the remeron is supposed to help the anxiety and help me sleep. but its not working too well anymore. when i brought it up last month, she gave me a drug called saphris. i went on a nice little trip, no more of that crap. i went back on remeron and got me some extra xanax. i'm  going to try to get my dosages upped and see how that goes. my appt. is tomorrow, we'll see how it goes........donna
I have bipolar disorder too.. You should ask your psychiatrist/doctor about lamictal or lithium. Perhaps even the med abilify to take the edge off. They're some of the most common, safer meds.
I am already on lamictal and latuda.
I take sertraline for anxiety myself.
hi i take seroquel xr and normal seroquel for bipolar disorder. the seroquel xr is a slow release tablet so it works over the night and the day. so i take the seroquel xr 450mg at about 7.30pm then at about 9.30pm i take the normal seroquel 250mg. it helps with sleep too.
Ambilfy and lithium will make you gain weight I was on ambilify up till january this year my brother is on lithium he is gainining weight from it He is 6 1. Some were I see I got the raw in of the deal on the Height lol sorry.  Me being 4 10 1/2. Always makes me smile when I say it so had to point that in there. I know should not say will make you gain weight because I do not know your metablism or your body so that part was wrong for me or anyone to really say. It did make me though. As well as Depakote was one of the first medications they put me on years ago.
you could ask about Largactil it helps you sleep and it's an anti psychotic i take it along with Seroquel xr 600mg at night and also Sertraline in morning 50mg , my only problem lately is the sertraline makes me hypo manic and i can't sleep that's why i'm taking the largactil 400mg at night . good luck with it hope you are well again soon .
Different people has different side effects. I take Abilify (its not Ambilify) and it hasn't caused any weight gain and helps with depression. Abilify has caused me to have akathisia (restless movements of legs/feet). I take propranolol for it and found that it also is used for anxiety without being a benzo. It is a beta blocker which is primarily used to lower blood pressure.
Abilify caused me to gain weight I think but I also grew two inches and I started eating more and being less inactive so that probably didn't help.
I rake Risperdal 1 & 1/2 mg down from 2 mg when I was hospitalized. Tense painful wrist disappeared when The dose was lowered. I haven't had a period since I started taking it, my breasts are larger but not leaking. The doctor was not worried about the lost periods, I wonder if I can get pregnant or ovulate? not that I want to but can't take hormones in birth control. Any way maybe you could tolerate a low dose of risperdal if it helps.

I also take Ativan, lithium, and buspar

If I could tolerate the twitches, and maybe not everyone gets them, I'd take Haldol.