Bipolar Disorder Community
Over reacting?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Over reacting?

How do I know if I am over reacting or having a normal reaction to something.  I'll elaborate... my partner doesn't pay attention to me I get annoyed. He pays attention to me in a predictable manner and I get annoyed - these I can kind of tell I am over reacting or behaving irrationally but what if does it how do I know if I should be upset.  These are bad examples I know but I have issues concentrating right now.

The bottom line is where is the line drawn for over reacting?  When is getting upset justified?
If you suspect you might be over reacting you probably are. Everything being relative I wonder what the worst thing he has ever done to you? Okay, now the second worse? What was your reaction then? Are you just annoyed by his habits? From your irritability and your inability to organize your thoughts I would suspect that you may be hypomanic. Are you on medication?
Irritability goes hand in hand with other symptoms of BP, it can happen when you are hypomanic or depressed. It will happen more when your meds if you are on them aren't at optimal levels or you aren't on them. I still at times get irritated, but I have learned (and it ain't easy) to put an internal filter on. I give myself a moment, like the previous poster said, to go through the importance of the irritation.  Negative thinking is our worst enemy. Meds can only do so much, and you have to retrain yourself. Group therapy and/or individual cognitive therapy can really help with your internal filters and negative self talk. When I get hypomanic it's really hard to slow down the internal talk, being aware of where you are at is so important. As soon as I feel myself getting there I have an action plan, I have meds that I can adjust and coping strategies. You are your own best advocate. Hang in there!
I know exactly how you feel.  I don't have any medical advice for you, this is simply a note to tell you that you are not the only one.  

Although I do not suffer delusions or paranoia, I have difficulty distinguishing if my reactions to things is what I would have "normally" done once upon a time, or if they are a result of my bipolar.  My feelings are exaggerated, however, they are what I feel and as hard as I try neither you nor I can change this.

We feel unbelieveable hurt at things other people just "ah that's sad" at, and don't give it a second thought.

We feel deleriously excited about things that people simply grin at.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but know that I feel it too, and think the same as you.  Can I trust what I am feeling and make informed decisions based on this?  Or is it simply an exaggeration of the truth that CAN be down-played.

Take care.
Bec.